Near crippleware? "PDF Replacer"

10 views
Skip to first unread message

John C.

unread,
Aug 30, 2021, 4:11:23 PMAug 30
to
Description from Snapfiles (https://www.snapfiles.com/get/pdfreplacer.html):

"PDF Replacer makes it easy to replace text (word or phrase) in a PDF
file while maintaining the original layout of the document.

You can replace text in a single PDF file or process multiple documents
at once in batch mode. There is also an option to limit the page range,
if you don't want to replace the text in the entire document but only on
specific pages.

Other features include an option to format the replaced text (bold,
italic etc.) our use of a custom font type. PDF Replacer will not modify
your original files, the edit versions are saved in a new folder.
The free version adds a watermark, but only to to large PDF files with
more than 100 pages."

Since most PDF files I use are less than 100 pages (but not always),
this wouldn't be enough of a limitation to make the program worthless.

Windows 7/Win 8/Win 10 or later (32/64 bit)

Homepage: https://pdfreplacer.com/
Download: https://pdfreplacer.com/download.html

Download is 50mb.

I'm hesitant to mention this program because it isn't truly freeware, but...
--
John C. BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, pirated,
share, spy, time-limited, trial or web wares for me please. I filter out
posts made from Google Groups and cross-posted (sent to more than one
newsgroup at a time) messages. I recommend you do likewise.

Shit the Cat

unread,
Aug 30, 2021, 4:54:27 PMAug 30
to
On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 13:11:15 -0700, "John C." <r9j...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Description from Snapfiles (https://www.snapfiles.com/get/pdfreplacer.html):
>
>"PDF Replacer makes it easy to replace text (word or phrase) in a PDF
>file while maintaining the original layout of the document.
>
>You can replace text in a single PDF file or process multiple documents
>at once in batch mode. There is also an option to limit the page range,
>if you don't want to replace the text in the entire document but only on
>specific pages.
>
>Other features include an option to format the replaced text (bold,
>italic etc.) our use of a custom font type. PDF Replacer will not modify
>your original files, the edit versions are saved in a new folder.
>The free version adds a watermark, but only to to large PDF files with
>more than 100 pages."
>
>Since most PDF files I use are less than 100 pages (but not always),
>this wouldn't be enough of a limitation to make the program worthless.
>
>Windows 7/Win 8/Win 10 or later (32/64 bit)
>
>Homepage: https://pdfreplacer.com/
>Download: https://pdfreplacer.com/download.html
>
>Download is 50mb.
>
>I'm hesitant to mention this program because it isn't truly freeware, but...

Pooh, JC used the C word.

--
Shit the cat
Webmeister in waiting
Copyright theft advisor
http://shitsworld.com

p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

unread,
Aug 30, 2021, 4:56:25 PMAug 30
to
He's just trolling Shit <shakes head> zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Live everyday like you're a cat.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

--
p-0.0-h the cat

Internet Terrorist, Mass sock puppeteer, Agent provocateur, Gutter rat,
Devil incarnate, Linux user#666, BaStarD hacker, Resident evil, Monkey Boy,
Certifiable criminal, Spineless cowardly scum, textbook Psychopath,
the SCOURGE, l33t p00h d3 tr0ll, p00h == lam3r, p00h == tr0ll, troll infâme,
the OVERCAT [The BEARPAIR are dead, and we are its murderers], lowlife troll,
shyster [pending approval by STATE_TERROR], cripple, sociopath, kook,
smug prick, smartarse, arsehole, moron, idiot, imbecile, snittish scumbag,
liar, total ******* retard, shill, pooh-seur, Pooh Dendum, scouringerer,
jumped up chav, punk ass dole whore troll, no nothing innumerate religious
maniac, lycanthropic schizotypal lesbian, professional bully and stalker,
the most complete ignoid, joker, and furball.

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

Honorary SHYSTER and FRAUD awarded for services to Haberdashery.
By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896

I mark any messages from trolls »Q« and 'Arlene' Holder as stinky

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

unread,
Aug 30, 2021, 4:56:33 PMAug 30
to
On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 13:11:15 -0700, John C. wrote:

> The free version adds a watermark, but only to to large PDF files with
> more than 100 pages."

Haven't used this program. But I surely wouldn't call 100 pages "crippled".
This rather is a generous "light" version. - Especially, when taking into
account, that large Pdf files can always be split and recombined.

BeAr
--
===========================================================================
= What do you mean with: "Perfection is always an illusion"? =
===============================================================--(Oops!)===

VanguardLH

unread,
Aug 30, 2021, 5:54:06 PMAug 30
to
"B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson" <use.r...@this.is.invalid> wrote:

> John C. wrote:
>
>> The free version adds a watermark, but only to to large PDF files with
>> more than 100 pages."
>
> Haven't used this program. But I surely wouldn't call 100 pages
> "crippled". This rather is a generous "light" version. - Especially,
> when taking into account, that large Pdf files can always be split
> and recombined.

It's crippled because it does the word replace, but then it stamps a
watermark into the modified document. You get words replaced, but your
document turns into spam. You have to pay $30 to eliminate the
watermark. A watermark on every page is hardly professional looking.

I've seen other so-called "free" PDF tools. Once I find they corrupt
the document with a watermark, their review is cancelled and discarded.
I'm not volunteering to become their spam affiliate.

John C.

unread,
Aug 30, 2021, 11:04:30 PMAug 30
to
VanguardLH wrote:
I agree, but BeAr has a point. 100 pages is pretty generous and that's
what I was thinking in my OP. Also, his tactic of breaking up a truly
large file, processing the parts and then recombining them is a possible
workaround.

Otherwise, do you know of any true freeware program which can replace
text in a .pdf file? I've looked, but so far have been unable to find
any such thing.

John C.

unread,
Aug 30, 2021, 11:04:58 PMAug 30
to
"Physically-challenged-ware"?

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

unread,
Aug 31, 2021, 1:36:33 AMAug 31
to
On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:54:00 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

> "B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson" <use.r...@this.is.invalid> wrote:
>
>> John C. wrote:
>>
>>> The free version adds a watermark, but only to to large PDF files with
>>> more than 100 pages."
>>
>> Haven't used this program. But I surely wouldn't call 100 pages
>> "crippled". This rather is a generous "light" version. - Especially,
>> when taking into account, that large Pdf files can always be split
>> and recombined.
>
> It's crippled because it does the word replace, but then it stamps a
> watermark into the modified document. You get words replaced, but your
> document turns into spam. You have to pay $30 to eliminate the
> watermark. A watermark on every page is hardly professional looking.

If I understood John correctly, a watermark /only/ is inserted, if the
document is larger than 100 pages. And even /if/ you had to replace
words in this large documents on a regular basis (which usually isn't
the case, because from /your/ huge documents you usually have the
original format, and not only the Pdf): Splitting and recombining
Pdf-files can quite easily be scripted with freeware tools.

"Light version", therefore, describes the program much better than the
term "crippleware". IMHO. (And without even the slightest look onto the
program, btw.)

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

unread,
Aug 31, 2021, 1:40:16 AMAug 31
to
On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:04:20 -0700, John C. wrote:

> Otherwise, do you know of any true freeware program which can replace
> text in a .pdf file? I've looked, but so far have been unable to find
> any such thing.

Because I have licensed Acrobat, I didn't keep track of such tools. For
words of near-equal length you can always uncompress the Pdf file with
PdfTk, use any text editor for the replacement an re-compress the Pdf,
afterwards.

Some other programs support limited editing of Pdf files (like Inkscape),
but do not perform search/replace actions.

VanguardLH

unread,
Aug 31, 2021, 3:04:09 AMAug 31
to
"John C." <r9j...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>> B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson wrote:
>>> John C. wrote:
>>>>
>>>> The free version adds a watermark, but only to to large PDF files with
>>>> more than 100 pages."
>>>
>>> Haven't used this program. But I surely wouldn't call 100 pages
>>> "crippled". This rather is a generous "light" version. - Especially,
>>> when taking into account, that large Pdf files can always be split
>>> and recombined.
>>
>> It's crippled because it does the word replace, but then it stamps a
>> watermark into the modified document. You get words replaced, but your
>> document turns into spam. You have to pay $30 to eliminate the
>> watermark. A watermark on every page is hardly professional looking.
>>
>> I've seen other so-called "free" PDF tools. Once I find they corrupt
>> the document with a watermark, their review is cancelled and discarded.
>> I'm not volunteering to become their spam affiliate.
>
> I agree, but BeAr has a point. 100 pages is pretty generous and that's
> what I was thinking in my OP. Also, his tactic of breaking up a truly
> large file, processing the parts and then recombining them is a possible
> workaround.
>
> Otherwise, do you know of any true freeware program which can replace
> text in a .pdf file? I've looked, but so far have been unable to find
> any such thing.

Nope, never looked into word replacement tools. If I'm not the author,
I don't need to change the doc. I can use tools that let me add
annotation or comment layers, but I don't modify someone else's
property. If I'm the author, the original doc is editable, like in Word
or LO file formats, and then I use a PDF printer to create a .pdf file.
If I don't care they can modify my content, I give the Word or LO file
format instead of encode it into a PDF. I have found payware software
that will allow me to edit PDFs, but I don't have an interest in using
them (they have flaws) nor in paying for them.

LibreOffice can open .pdf files to make them editable, but handles them
in the Draw component as image files. I doubt (but haven't tested) that
LO Draw can do word find and replace. There are plenty of online
services (e.g., simplypdf.com, pdf2go.com) that will convert PDF to Word
that are free, but their client-side tools are payware, or their free
online tools are limited, like for file size, so they get you with a
subscription. Even Adobe has their own online PDF-to-Word converter
(https://www.adobe.com/acrobat/online/pdf-to-word.html). You can use
the Acrobat DC and PDF SDK libraries
(https://opensource.adobe.com/dc-acrobat-sdk-docs/pdflsdk/) to build
your own tools, but it costs money to buy a license. If it costs money
to them, it'll cost money to you. They're not your parents to pay for
your whims. That's why online services are crippled, like for file
size, to bait you into their payware services. Anyone trying to be
altruistic will run out of money, even if they ask for donations. There
are Chrome add-ons (which should also be usable in C-Edge), like PDF
Convert, but I suspect they upload the submission (perhaps to Google
Drive), convert online, and link to the output doc, or drop them into
the same Google Drive account from where you submitted the original.
I've seen articles describing how to use Google Docs to convert from PDF
to Google Docs, and then convert Google Docs to PDF, like
https://www.alphr.com/how-to-convert-pdf-file-into-google-doc/.
However, the one complaint that I've see for all these non-Adobe PDF
converters and editors is they screw up the layering in a PDF, or
otherwise foul the layout, like for positioning. PDFs are not just
about text.

Over years of seeing proposals for free PDF editing, or conversion, I am
far from impressed.

VanguardLH

unread,
Aug 31, 2021, 3:44:00 AMAug 31
to
"B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson" <use.r...@this.is.invalid> wrote:

> If I understood John correctly, a watermark /only/ is inserted, if the
> document is larger than 100 pages.

I have yet to find anywhere in the pdfreplacer.com web site the claim
"The free version adds a watermark, but only to to large PDF files with
more than 100 pages."

John is citing a download site other than the home site for the product.
Why would pdfreplacer.com mention only watermarking in its free version
with no qualification that watermarking only happens with 100-page, or
more, output (modified) docs.

You'll notice softonic.com does not identify the author of those
so-called reviews of products listed there. Possible my eyes missed the
statement, but even a Google site search on "100" only turned up claims
about 100% feature, or width or height adjustments for headers and
footers, not a page threshold. Alas, pdfreplacer.com is poor on
documentation. I did find some collaboration of softonics review at:

https://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/23/featured/replace-text-in-pdf-free-pdf-text-replacer-software.html

which also states watermarking is applied wit the input PDF is more than
100 pages in size. The problem with these reviews is that they are
often not reviews, but regurgitate what the product author tells them to
say. Besides no author, the softonics page doesn't have a datestamp,
and the one for ilovefreesoftware is 2 years old. Things change, so
knowing for sure if the 100-page threshold is still applicable in the
latest downloadable version from pdfreplacer.com would be valuable info.

If John can find pdfreplacer.com themselves stating there is a 100-page
watermarking threshold for their free version, I'd sure add it to my
library of PDF tools. Alternatively, maybe someone here has actually
used PDF Replacer to know if watermarking was not applied when using the
free version of PDF Replacer. I'll try to use the contact info at
pdfreplacer.com to see if they will respond to verify or deny the
100-page threshold for watermarking in their free version. I'll reply
here with whatever they reply, if they reply.

occam

unread,
Aug 31, 2021, 6:08:18 AMAug 31
to
On 31/08/2021 07:36, B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:54:00 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> "B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson" <use.r...@this.is.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> John C. wrote:
>>>
>>>> The free version adds a watermark, but only to to large PDF files with
>>>> more than 100 pages."
>>>
>>> Haven't used this program. But I surely wouldn't call 100 pages
>>> "crippled". This rather is a generous "light" version. - Especially,
>>> when taking into account, that large Pdf files can always be split
>>> and recombined.
>>
>> It's crippled because it does the word replace, but then it stamps a
>> watermark into the modified document. You get words replaced, but your
>> document turns into spam. You have to pay $30 to eliminate the
>> watermark. A watermark on every page is hardly professional looking.
>
> If I understood John correctly, a watermark /only/ is inserted, if the
> document is larger than 100 pages.


That is a misunderstanding based on a Corliss cut n' paste text - he has
clearly never used it himself. I just did a mod on a 3-page document,
and all three pages were 'tagged' with footers AND headers advertising
the fact.

PDF Replacer is crippleware.

Shit the Cat

unread,
Aug 31, 2021, 8:05:55 AMAug 31
to
On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:04:51 -0700, "John C." <r9j...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Shit the Cat wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 13:11:15 -0700, "John C." <r9j...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Description from Snapfiles (https://www.snapfiles.com/get/pdfreplacer.html):
>>>
>>> "PDF Replacer makes it easy to replace text (word or phrase) in a PDF
>>> file while maintaining the original layout of the document.
>>>
>>> You can replace text in a single PDF file or process multiple documents
>>> at once in batch mode. There is also an option to limit the page range,
>>> if you don't want to replace the text in the entire document but only on
>>> specific pages.
>>>
>>> Other features include an option to format the replaced text (bold,
>>> italic etc.) our use of a custom font type. PDF Replacer will not modify
>>> your original files, the edit versions are saved in a new folder.
>>> The free version adds a watermark, but only to to large PDF files with
>>> more than 100 pages."
>>>
>>> Since most PDF files I use are less than 100 pages (but not always),
>>> this wouldn't be enough of a limitation to make the program worthless.
>>>
>>> Windows 7/Win 8/Win 10 or later (32/64 bit)
>>>
>>> Homepage: https://pdfreplacer.com/
>>> Download: https://pdfreplacer.com/download.html
>>>
>>> Download is 50mb.
>>>
>>> I'm hesitant to mention this program because it isn't truly freeware, but...
>>
>> Pooh, JC used the C word.
>
>"Physically-challenged-ware"?

Nice. See, I told Pooh that you are secretly a caring, sharing, softie.

p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

unread,
Aug 31, 2021, 8:24:54 AMAug 31
to
On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:08:13 +0200, occam <nob...@nowhere.nix> wrote:

>That is a misunderstanding based on a Corliss cut n' paste text - he has
>clearly never used it himself. I just did a mod on a 3-page document,
>and all three pages were 'tagged' with footers AND headers advertising
>the fact.
>
>PDF Replacer is crippleware.

Thanks for testing that.

Can't say I was ever excited but now I can erase it from my
consciousness forever.

We really should dump the cripple thing into the bin bag of history.

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

unread,
Aug 31, 2021, 12:52:51 PMAug 31
to
On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:08:13 +0200, occam wrote:

>> If I understood John correctly, a watermark /only/ is inserted, if the
>> document is larger than 100 pages.
>
> That is a misunderstanding based on a Corliss cut n' paste text - he has
> clearly never used it himself. I just did a mod on a 3-page document,
> and all three pages were 'tagged' with footers AND headers advertising
> the fact.
>
> PDF Replacer is crippleware.

Yep. Then it is. Thanks for testing!

VanguardLH

unread,
Aug 31, 2021, 2:23:22 PMAug 31
to
occam <nob...@nowhere.nix> wrote:

> That is a misunderstanding based on a Corliss cut n' paste text - he
> has clearly never used it himself. I just did a mod on a 3-page
> document, and all three pages were 'tagged' with footers AND headers
> advertising the fact.
>
> PDF Replacer is crippleware.

Thanks for checking. The "reviews" at download sites aren't reviews, in
that they don't actually test and use the product. Some sites steal
"reviews" from other sites to pretend they had a review. When you hunt
around, you see "reviews" that are duplicates.

Snapfiles doesn't let you notify the author (which is unidentified, plus
no date stamp on their "review"). They also don't let you add a comment
unless you have an account there. The ilovefreesoftware site has a date
stamp and identified author, but to comment requires a Disqus, Facebook,
Twitter, or Google account that they want to link to. Not happening.

John copies content from elsewhere, so he isn't professing experience.
It's a "Here's what I found today" entry. He doesn't investigate, but
it can spur others to look into a product.

A WhoIs on pdfreplacer.com shows it is a Chinese domain registrant.
There's something about the presentation for PDFReplacer that makes me
feel they "licensed" someone else's product, and plied their own
frontend to make it look like their product. From the WhoIs record, it
points at a nameserver owned by winpdfeditor.com. That sells at the
same $29.95 price as PDF Replacer, but has more features. If you're
willing to be their spam affiliate (you spew a review extolling their
wonderful product, they'll give you a free license). Their support is
also just an e-mail address, but you cannot click on a mailto: link or
copy the string, because it is an image. Their register page (where you
buy) also says "Will not add watermark" which means their free (trial)
version does add a watermark. Wonder whose PDF code they are stealing,
er, borrowing, er, licensing as the backend to their frontends.

Hey, occam, I just had a thought. When testing PDF Replacer, did you
kill your network connection? There are lots of online PDF converter
and PDF editor sites that are free, but with restrictions. It would be
possible for a local tool to actually upload a PDF to one of the online
sites, script the changes in the local tool to effect actions at the
site, have the site do the work, and retrieve the modified output PDF to
present as if the local tool did the work. The site could be theirs or
someone else's. You won't find a privacy policy at pdfreplacer.com (or
at winpdfeditor.com). Be interesting to know if these PDF tools are
making Internet connections.

John C.

unread,
Aug 31, 2021, 4:18:31 PMAug 31
to
occam wrote:
> On 31/08/2021 07:36, B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:54:00 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> "B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson" <use.r...@this.is.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>>> John C. wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> The free version adds a watermark, but only to to large PDF files with
>>>>> more than 100 pages."
>>>>
>>>> Haven't used this program. But I surely wouldn't call 100 pages
>>>> "crippled". This rather is a generous "light" version. - Especially,
>>>> when taking into account, that large Pdf files can always be split
>>>> and recombined.
>>>
>>> It's crippled because it does the word replace, but then it stamps a
>>> watermark into the modified document. You get words replaced, but your
>>> document turns into spam. You have to pay $30 to eliminate the
>>> watermark. A watermark on every page is hardly professional looking.
>>
>> If I understood John correctly, a watermark /only/ is inserted, if the
>> document is larger than 100 pages.
>
>
> That is a misunderstanding based on a Corliss cut n' paste text - he has
> clearly never used it himself. I just did a mod on a 3-page document,
> and all three pages were 'tagged' with footers AND headers advertising
> the fact.
>
> PDF Replacer is crippleware.

Well, that clears things up. Thanks for the info!

occam

unread,
Sep 1, 2021, 3:12:30 AMSep 1
to
On 31/08/2021 20:23, VanguardLH wrote:
> Hey, occam, I just had a thought. When testing PDF Replacer, did you
> kill your network connection? There are lots of online PDF converter
> and PDF editor sites that are free, but with restrictions. It would be
> possible for a local tool to actually upload a PDF to one of the online
> sites, script the changes in the local tool to effect actions at the
> site, have the site do the work, and retrieve the modified output PDF to
> present as if the local tool did the work. The site could be theirs or
> someone else's. You won't find a privacy policy at pdfreplacer.com (or
> at winpdfeditor.com). Be interesting to know if these PDF tools are
> making Internet connections.

Sorry, not I did not kill my network connection while testing. It is a
bit late now, however, as I uninstalled PDF Replacer soon after my test.

occam

unread,
Sep 1, 2021, 7:31:27 AMSep 1
to
Given the current Olympic events, perhaps it should be shortened to
"Para-ware". (Ducks down to avoid politically correct abuse.)

p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

unread,
Sep 2, 2021, 4:53:47 AMSep 2
to
This is just trialware or adware or if JC had been correct liteware
maybe. It's a bit naff using <wince>ware especially as most of the
athletes competing in the Paralympics would soundly outperform most of
us old buggers.

holyghost

unread,
Sep 23, 2021, 3:14:13 PMSep 23
to
On 8/30/2021 10:11 PM, John C. wrote:
> Description from Snapfiles (https://www.snapfiles.com/get/pdfreplacer.html):
>
> "PDF Replacer makes it easy to replace text (word or phrase) in a PDF
> file while maintaining the original layout of the document.
>
> You can replace text in a single PDF file or process multiple documents
> at once in batch mode. There is also an option to limit the page range,
> if you don't want to replace the text in the entire document but only on
> specific pages.
>

Seems a nice program. I take my things on shell latex commands though,
decompiling pdf to latex or ps would be nice.

holly

--
(__)
oo )
|_/\

My Software & Art company (donations are welcome) :
https://ko-fi.com/brandywine9
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages