Tech Support Alert

David Brooks

Jul 24, 2021, 7:57:06 AM7/24/21
Why is this site not responding? The owner is not replying to emails.

https://www.techsupportalert.com/

Btw, my fishing trip last week was successful! :-D

Unsteadyken

Jul 24, 2021, 8:31:49 AM7/24/21
In article <xn0n0rmk...@news.aioe.org>,

David Brooks says...

> Why is this site not responding? The owner is not replying to emails.

I received this email on the 18th.

As you might be aware Gizmo’s Freeware was taken offline on Monday 12th
July. We had already published a notice of closure but had hoped to
remain viable for a while longer. Unfortunately our hosting service was
not sympathetic and took us offline even before the next bill was due.

So what happened?

Well our valiant founder Ian ‘Gizmo’ Richards retired at the end of
December, 2020 after committing almost two decades of his life to the
cause of free software and the Gizmo’s Freeware website. Upon his
retirement the site was transferred to the remaining four admins who had
all been contributing for at least 12 years. At this point the site was
a viable entity since the advertising revenue was still sufficient to
pay for our hosting costs and other expenses. In early 2021 however the
site came under attack from sources unknown targeting our adverts. The
result was first a suspension and then a cancellation of our Google
AdSense account resulting in our income being completely cut off. We
believe this to have been a deliberate act. It is not possible to
communicate with Google as to the source so our only alternative was to
switch to an alternative agency. Unfortunately the quality of the ads
supplied by the three alternatives we tried was very poor leading to
complains from many of our members and site visitors. So, with income
levels now below that of our monthly expenses we decided there was no
other alternative than closure.

During our last few days several offers were put forward with
suggestions about how we could revise our presentation format and then
regenerate as a viable service. Unfortunately the funds also promised
did not materialize in time to keep us from being taken offline. Since
then however we have continued to work at finding a workable solution
but only you our loyal community can make this possible by donating to
our rejuvenation fund. We appreciate many of you will have contributed
previously but there is no other alternative to us asking again.
Anything you can spare will be gratefully appreciated and used to bring
us back online as soon as possible.

With the loss of our hosting service our mail server and donation
facility have also gone offline so all donations please need to go via
the PayPal service to: primes...@gmx.com

Thank you for your support.

The admin team - Gizmo’s Freeware

Ken

Wolffan

Jul 24, 2021, 9:04:54 AM7/24/21
On 2021 Jul 24, David Brooks wrote
(in article <xn0n0rmk...@news.aioe.org>):

> Why is this site not responding? The owner is not replying to emails.
>
> https://www.techsupportalert.com/

you’re an idiot. The site itself says:

"It was with great sadness and heavy hearts that we announced the closing of
Gizmo’s Freeware a few weeks ago. After due consideration, we’ve decided
to shut down the site and since July 15th, 2021 it is currently not
accessible anymore.”

It’s been dead since at least 15 July 2021... and you can’t bloody read
for comprehension.

> Btw, my fishing trip last week was successful! :-D

It would have beet better for humanity if you’d fallen in. Though the fish
might have been upset.

Richard Soul

Jul 24, 2021, 11:31:56 AM7/24/21
On 24/07/2021 14:04, Wolffan wrote:
> On 2021 Jul 24, David Brooks wrote
> (in article <xn0n0rmk...@news.aioe.org>):
>> Btw, my fishing trip last week was successful! :-D
>
> It would have beet better for humanity if you’d fallen in. Though the fish
> might have been upset.

I think he ment "phishing", i.e. He's succesfully stalked someone.

David Brooks

Jul 24, 2021, 1:17:59 PM7/24/21
On 24-07-2021, Yrrah wrote:

>"David Brooks" <D...@nomail.afraid.org>:
>>
>>Why is this site not responding? The owner is not replying to emails.
>>
>>https://www.techsupportalert.com/
>
>Of course he isn't. He was at the ACF TGIF drinkies do.
>
>Yrrah

Have you posted a question to the group owner using the web messaging
form? If not then I recommend it. Ask why he has not replied to me.

Shadow

Jul 24, 2021, 2:06:54 PM7/24/21
On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 16:31:51 +0100, Richard Soul <rs...@gmx.com>
wrote:

>On 24/07/2021 14:04, Wolffan wrote:
>> On 2021 Jul 24, David Brooks wrote
>> (in article <xn0n0rmk...@news.aioe.org>):
>>> Btw, my fishing trip last week was successful! :-D
>>
>> It would have been better for humanity if you'd fallen in. Though the fish
>> might have been upset.

It would have been an environmental disaster. Perish the
thought.

>I think he ment "phishing", i.e. He's succesfully stalked someone.

I doubt it. If he manages to tie his shoelaces in the morning
he marks it down in the dossier he calls a diary as "a productive
day". Alcohol abuse does have its downsides.

He's feeling pleased with himself, he managed to sell his boat
to a sewerage recovery facility. Pleased because it was waterlogged,
and they pay by weight. Conning people always makes him happy.

But BD is off topic in acf. If you REALLY want to get to know
him, he has a personal page:

<https://tekrider.net/pages/david-brooks-stalker.php>

ALL of the #FAKE_NYMS listed were used to commit cybercrimes.
HTH
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Wolffan

Jul 24, 2021, 3:59:10 PM7/24/21
On 2021 Jul 24, David Brooks wrote
(in article <xn0n0rv3...@news.aioe.org>):
The ‘group owner’ has retired. Here’s the full message as posted on the
site, which you would have been able to see if you hadn’t been banned:

"Gizmos Freeware - Epilogue
It was with great sadness and heavy hearts that we announced the closing of
Gizmo’s Freeware a few weeks ago. After due consideration, we’ve decided
to shut down the site and since July 15th, 2021 it is currently not
accessible anymore.

Many years ago, Gizmo set out to be an independent, unbiased resource for
anyone who wanted the best freeware. It started with a list of 46 free tools
(the 46best list) and ended up into a fully grown community site.

Along the way, Gizmo motivated an amazing community of readers and editors to
come together and share their passion about software that developers provided
to the public for free.

We, some of these supporters, joined Gizmo in managing the site and its
content. We are proud of what we created, and are even more grateful for you,
the community of readers that made it what it became.

On behalf of everyone who was part of this amazing journey, a heartfelt
“Thank You” for making us part of your lives.

For many years, Gizmo paid the cost of running the site out of his own
pocket. When that became too much, we asked you about running ads to generate
some income and you said ‘yes’. Later, from time to time, we also asked
for donations and you wholeheartedly responded.

The ads and donations have kept the lights on, while our editors kept being
unpaid volunteers.

As the world has shifted away from desktops to mobiles in search for
flexibility over the years, our traffic and advertising revenue declined. The
proceeds could no longer cover the costs of running the site.

It was a very difficult decision for us, as you, our readers and editors,
have been the heart of Gizmo’s Freeware and also supporting us for so many
years.

It’s been a fantastic journey with all of you and we’re heartbroken that
the Techsupportalert site as we knew it and that we all have learned to love
has come to an end.

We will miss you dearly. Maybe one day we meet again…

Thank you so much.

Best regards,
Your Gizmo’s Freeware Team
(George, Jojo, Midnight Cowboy, Rhiannon)”

The site’s gone to the Big Bit Bucket in the Sky. It’s finito. It’s an
ex-site.

And you’re an idiot.

Nic

Jul 24, 2021, 4:06:28 PM7/24/21
All we can hope for now is for that great site's collection of freeware
may be transformed into a torrent and we can all share the software in
perpetuam.

Wolffan

Jul 24, 2021, 4:08:47 PM7/24/21
On 2021 Jul 24, Nic wrote
(in article <3p_KI.24311$sI4....@fx40.iad>):
That would be excellent, but not likely, unfortunately.

LegionX

Jul 26, 2021, 3:27:06 AM7/26/21
Unsteadyken <unste...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:

>In early 2021 however the site came under attack from sources unknown targeting our adverts.<

Not unknown sources - unless they are claiming they didn't get our
emails. They had compromised ads. Some were phishing links and
others would provide 0day malware to unsuspecting users. We gave
them time to sort the issue out. They opted not to. So we (HHI)
did it for them to protect the click happy general
public.

>The result was first a suspension and then a cancellation of our Google AdSense account resulting in our income being completely cut off.<

Correct. They wouldn't clean up their shit. So we cleaned them out.

>We believe this to have been a deliberate act.<

Believe? Since we were in contact with a site admin at one point
that should read we *know* this was a deliberate act. We told
them. They told us we couldn't do anything. You see where they
are now yea?

Good riddance. You don't need them to find freeware.

>Unfortunately the funds also promised did not materialize in time to keep us from being taken offline.<

Donate if you like. They won't be returning.

>Anything you can spare will be gratefully appreciated and used to bring us back online as soon as possible.<

Let us make this very clear for you. They are not coming back
online to stay. We will drop them like a hot potatoe again.
Period.

It only took two emails to their hosting provider to finish the
deal. It wasn't a billing issue - it was an understanding we
reached with the hosting provider.
One site or all of them. They came to see our point of view.
Rather quickly.

--
Ask Snit how he pissed on his cat and his hallucination about the
eyeball. Heavy pharma abuse = a Snit