How can each free VPN config file be a different SHA 256 hash?

Scott Lurndal

Sep 17, 2021, 9:17:48 PM9/17/21
How can each free VPN config file be a different SHA 256 hash?

1. I downloaded this free VanwaTech-Free-OpenVPN.ovpn config file.
https://vanwa.tech/download-free-openvpn-config

2. I ran a SHA 256 hash on that file.

3. Seconds later I downloaded the file again.

4. But it has a different hash (otherwise it looks the same).

How can that be?
Why?
--
REM RunAsAdmin vanwa.bat from https://vanwa.tech/free-openvpn-service
REM How can each download (even seconds apart) have a different hash?

Shadow

Sep 17, 2021, 9:46:49 PM9/17/21
On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 04:17:49 +0300, Scott Lurndal
<sc...@slp53.sl.home> wrote:

>How can each free VPN config file be a different SHA 256 hash?
>
>1. I downloaded this free VanwaTech-Free-OpenVPN.ovpn config file.
> https://vanwa.tech/download-free-openvpn-config
>
>2. I ran a SHA 256 hash on that file.
>
>3. Seconds later I downloaded the file again.
>
>4. But it has a different hash (otherwise it looks the same).

Yes, they are different files. Their **"shadows" don't match.
If you have DOS, do a FC (file compare).
If Linux, a diff.

>How can that be?
>Why?

Trackers. Unique_ID.
It's "free" for a reason.
LOL
[]'s

**"shadow" is the word of the day. And yesterday. I have Shit
the Cat investigating.
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

JJ

Sep 18, 2021, 11:35:31 AM9/18/21
On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 04:17:49 +0300, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> How can each free VPN config file be a different SHA 256 hash?
>
> 1. I downloaded this free VanwaTech-Free-OpenVPN.ovpn config file.
> https://vanwa.tech/download-free-openvpn-config
>
> 2. I ran a SHA 256 hash on that file.
>
> 3. Seconds later I downloaded the file again.
>
> 4. But it has a different hash (otherwise it looks the same).
>
> How can that be?
> Why?

The site generates a new key and certificate for each configuration
requested. This is to make middlemen attack more difficult, because the
encryption key is not fixed. IOTW, the longer a VPN configuration is used,
the higher the chances middlemen attacks will succeed.