[NEW?] Majorgeeks software updater (Beta) v2.2012.11.30

occam

Feb 3, 2013, 5:14:56 AM2/3/13

"The MajorGeeks Software Updater will help you ensure your apps are up
to date quickly and easily. As most of you know, apps are updated all
the time for a number of reasons."

Download
http://www.majorgeeks.com/MajorGeeks_Software_Updater_d8044.html

Change log:
New in This Version:
Updated Executable.
New and improved scan.
Looks like we got the missing file bug fixed.
Misc Bug Fixes.
Minor interface changes.

Personal remarks:
- The program has a small footprint and is portable.
- It worked on Win XP with some false 'updates'
- It did not work for me on Win 7.

Jim S

Feb 3, 2013, 5:21:16 AM2/3/13
On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 11:14:56 +0100, occam wrote:

> "The MajorGeeks Software Updater will help you ensure your apps are up
> to date quickly and easily. As most of you know, apps are updated all
> the time for a number of reasons."
>
> Download
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/MajorGeeks_Software_Updater_d8044.html

That's three that I know of.
Secunia do one and FileHippo too.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Poutnik

Feb 3, 2013, 5:36:36 AM2/3/13

Jim S posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 10:21:16 +0000

> On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 11:14:56 +0100, occam wrote:
>
> > "The MajorGeeks Software Updater will help you ensure your apps are up
> > to date quickly and easily. As most of you know, apps are updated all
> > the time for a number of reasons."
> >
> > Download
> > http://www.majorgeeks.com/MajorGeeks_Software_Updater_d8044.html
> >
> That's three that I know of.
> Secunia do one and FileHippo too.

I do not know MGU,
but Secunia and FileHippo serve very different purposes each.

The former is focused to security only updates across all software,
while the letter AFAIK is focused
to general updates of Filehippo hosted software.

There are also general updaters SUMO } Software Update Monitor }
I am currently using.
http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo

It is community driven with client server architecture.
The SUMO server is (usually??) aware only about the updates
any of the clients is aware.

There is also http://software.informer.com/
( You must know it from Google SW searches ),
I used it some years ago,
not sure now about reason why I abandoned it.

--
Poutnik

occam

Feb 3, 2013, 5:36:50 AM2/3/13
On 03/02/2013 11:21, Jim S wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 11:14:56 +0100, occam wrote:
>
>> "The MajorGeeks Software Updater will help you ensure your apps are up
>> to date quickly and easily. As most of you know, apps are updated all
>> the time for a number of reasons."
>>
>> Download
>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/MajorGeeks_Software_Updater_d8044.html
>>
> That's three that I know of.
> Secunia do one and FileHippo too.

My current favourite is SUMO fromKCSoftwares
http://www.kcsoftwares.com/sumo/view.php?prot=2&ProductName=SUMo&Company=KC+Softwares

Poutnik

Feb 3, 2013, 5:40:15 AM2/3/13

Poutnik posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 11:36:36 +0100

> There are also general updaters SUMO } Software Update Monitor }
> I am currently using.
> http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo

Better said update informer, it does not perform any update itself,
it only leads you to vendor site by googling of SW and vendor name.

SW Informer I guess did perform updates even itself,
but I remember it as a double edged sword.....

--
Poutnik

wasbit

Feb 3, 2013, 5:57:44 AM2/3/13
"occam" <oc...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
Updaters (excluding drivers)

AppGet - http://www.app-get.com/
AppHit - http://www.apphit.com/software_update_checker/
Appsnap - http://blog.genotrance.com/applications/appsnap/
AppUp - http://www.appup.com/index
AppUpdater (Cli) - http://www.nabber.org/projects/appupdater/
Automatic Programmes Update - http://antiufo.altervista.org/apu/
AutoUP - http://h-q.site50.net/2_1_AutoUP.html
Big Fix (now IBM) - http://www.tucows.com/preview/208920
Carambis Software Updater -
http://www.carambis.com/programs/software_updater.html
Catchup - see Tech Tracker
Chromium Updater - http://mulder.brhack.net/#lamexp
DDownloads (uses home pages)
-
http://www.morethanacleaner.de/download/viewdownload/30-ddownloads/124-ddownloads-first-public-beta
Download.com Update watcher (Firefox add in)
-
http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2006/09/stay-current-with-downloadcom-update-watcher/
DownloadPlex.com Software Updater
-
http://www.downloadplex.com/Windows/System-Utilities/File-Disk-Management/downloadplex.com-software-updater_322869.html
Driver Control - http://sourceforge.net/projects/driverupdater/
FileHippo Update Checker - http://filehippo.com/updatechecker/
Freeware Updater - http://www.freewareupdater.com/
GameShadow - http://www.gameshadow.com/
Getit - http://puchisoft.com/GetIt/
Glarysoft Software Update -
http://www.glarysoft.com/products/utilities/software-update/
GRWU (Runtimeware ) - http://www.runtimeware.com/
InstallPad - http://www.installpad.com/
MajorGeeks Software Updater -
http://www.majorgeeks.com/MajorGeeks_Software_Updater_d8044.html
Ninite (install/upate) - http://ninite.com/
Patch My PC (inc Windows update) - http://www.patchmypc.net/
Puchisoft Dispatcher (create) - http://puchisoft.com/dispatcher.php
Quick Windows Apt - http://code.google.com/p/qwinapt/
RadarSync - http://www.radarsync.com/
Saleen Updater (beta) - http://www.saleensoftware.com/Updater.aspx
Secunia PSI (Personal Software Inspector) - https://psi.secunia.com/
Soft2Base - http://www.soft2base.com/
Software Informer - http://software.informer.com/
SUMo - http://www.kcsoftwares.com/index.php?sumo
SysInternals Updater - http://www.wieldraaijer.nl/
Tech Tracker (Cnet) - http://www.cnet.com/techtracker-free/
The Great Update Project (TGUP) - http://sourceforge.net/projects/tgup/
Update Checker - http://www.soft4boost.com/update-checker
Update Freezer (disable updates) - http://www.updatefreezer.org/
Update Star - http://client.updatestar.com/en/updatestar/download/
Version Tracker(not free & not recommended) -
http://www.versiontracker.com/tools/
Webmon - http://www.cmcode.co.uk/webmon/
WinLibre - http://www.winlibre.com/en/
Wpkg - http://wpkg.org/index.php/Main_Pageupdater

Regards
wasbit

Poutnik

Feb 3, 2013, 6:05:42 AM2/3/13

wasbit posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 10:57:44 -0000

> Updaters (excluding drivers)

Wow, impressive list.
But it would maybe deserve some categorization.

--
Poutnik

Jim S

Feb 3, 2013, 9:32:58 AM2/3/13
On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 11:36:36 +0100, Poutnik wrote:

> Jim S posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 10:21:16 +0000
>

>> On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 11:14:56 +0100, occam wrote:
>>
>>> "The MajorGeeks Software Updater will help you ensure your apps are up
>>> to date quickly and easily. As most of you know, apps are updated all
>>> the time for a number of reasons."
>>>
>>> Download
>>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/MajorGeeks_Software_Updater_d8044.html
>>>
>> That's three that I know of.
>> Secunia do one and FileHippo too.
>
> I do not know MGU,
> but Secunia and FileHippo serve very different purposes each.
>
> The former is focused to security only updates across all software,
> while the letter AFAIK is focused
> to general updates of Filehippo hosted software.
>
> There are also general updaters SUMO } Software Update Monitor }
> I am currently using.
> http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo

Does that mean that you prefer it to the others?

Bear

Feb 3, 2013, 9:56:03 AM2/3/13
Jim S <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote in news:7e68uxuoss6q
$.d...@jimXscott.co.uk:

> On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 11:36:36 +0100, Poutnik wrote:
>
>> Jim S posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 10:21:16 +0000

>>> That's three that I know of.
>>> Secunia do one and FileHippo too.
>>
>> I do not know MGU,
>> but Secunia and FileHippo serve very different purposes each.
>>
>> The former is focused to security only updates across all software,
>> while the letter AFAIK is focused
>> to general updates of Filehippo hosted software.
>>
>> There are also general updaters SUMO } Software Update Monitor }
>> I am currently using.
>> http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo
>>
> Does that mean that you prefer it to the others?

I think the thinks it is the best - er, for him?

--
Bear
http://bearware.info

VanguardLH

Feb 3, 2013, 11:39:53 AM2/3/13
"Poutnik" wrote:

> I do not know MGU, but Secunia and FileHippo serve very different
> purposes each.
>
> The former is focused to security only updates across all software,

[Secunia PSI] focuses on "security only updates". Not true.

Secunia PSI considers EVERY update to an app as a security update. They
don't analyze the update to determine if it just adds, removes, or
changes functionality only (i.e., nothing to do with security). They'll
alert on every update to an app regardless of what the update addresses.
Secunia also considers every end-of-life (unsupported) apps as a
security suspects. I remember them telling me SamSpade (an ancient text
only web browser) needed "security" updates. It would list 40tude
Dialog (my long abandoned newsreader) as insecure simply because it was
no longer supported. Uh huh.

Secunia PSI alerts on every outdated or unsupported app, not just on
updates which involve security fixes. It has no clue as to which
updates are those for security issues. For example, a program update to
fix icon text that is outside the toolbar region or an update to make a
program DPI compliant is NOT a security update. They also assume an
unsupported product is an insecure product and that's not always true.

If your computing platform is stable and updates do not address security
issues then following Secunia PSI's recommendations can result in
destablizing your host. After all, updates introduce new or changed
code and that can have bugs, too.

Secunia PSI is not an security update checker. It is an update checker.

> while the letter AFAIK is focused to general updates of Filehippo
> hosted software.

Then it would be of use only by users who get ALL of their software from
FileHippo. Not of much value to the prevalent majority of users.

Bear

Feb 3, 2013, 11:48:10 AM2/3/13
VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote in news:kem3qj$87b$1...@news.albasani.net:

> Secunia PSI considers EVERY update to an app as a security update. They
> don't analyze the update to determine if it just adds, removes, or
> changes functionality only (i.e., nothing to do with security). They'll
> alert on every update to an app regardless of what the update addresses.
> Secunia also considers every end-of-life (unsupported) apps as a
> security suspects. I remember them telling me SamSpade (an ancient text
> only web browser) needed "security" updates. It would list 40tude
> Dialog (my long abandoned newsreader) as insecure simply because it was
> no longer supported. Uh huh.

How would you know if hackers have discovered a vulnerability in outdated
no longer supported programs and are exploiting them? Unless you can't find
something be actively maintained to do your task at hand, I agree
unsupported programs are risky.

Jax and Haby By Appointment Bear Hunters To OVERCAT and Frank-Lin

Feb 3, 2013, 4:01:46 PM2/3/13
On Feb 3, 8:48 am, Bear <bearbotto...@gmai.com> wrote:
> VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote innews:kem3qj$87b$1...@news.albasani.net:
>
> > Secunia PSI considers EVERY update to an app as a security update.  They
> > don't analyze the update to determine if it just adds, removes, or
> > changes functionality only (i.e., nothing to do with security).  They'll
> > alert on every update to an app regardless of what the update addresses.
> > Secunia also considers every end-of-life (unsupported) apps as a
> > security suspects.  I remember them telling me SamSpade (an ancient text
> > only web browser) needed "security" updates.  It would list 40tude
> > Dialog (my long abandoned newsreader) as insecure simply because it was
> > no longer supported.  Uh huh.
>
> How would you know if hackers have discovered a vulnerability in outdated
> no longer supported programs and are exploiting them? Unless you can't find
> something be actively maintained to do your task at hand, I agree
> unsupported programs are risky.
>
> --
> Bearhttp://bearware.info
> Header Path: news.sunsite.dk!dotsrc.org!filter.dotsrc.org!news.dotsrc.org!
> not-for-mail

Bear,which of your resident controllers handed you that script? We
want to know their name,please!

Poutnik

Feb 4, 2013, 2:27:57 AM2/4/13

Jim S posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 14:32:58 +0000

> On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 11:36:36 +0100, Poutnik wrote:
>
> > Jim S posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 10:21:16 +0000

> >> That's three that I know of.
> >> Secunia do one and FileHippo too.
> >
> > I do not know MGU,
> > but Secunia and FileHippo serve very different purposes each.
> >
> > The former is focused to security only updates across all software,
> > while the letter AFAIK is focused
> > to general updates of Filehippo hosted software.
> >
> > There are also general updaters SUMO } Software Update Monitor }
> > I am currently using.
> > http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo
> >
> Does that mean that you prefer it to the others?

I do not know others, but SW Informer, and maybe I will try it again.
I regularly use Secunia PSI, but that is different kind.

--
Poutnik

Poutnik

Feb 4, 2013, 2:29:28 AM2/4/13

Bear posted 03 Feb 2013 14:56:03 GMT

> > Does that mean that you prefer it to the others?
>
> I think the thinks it is the best - er, for him?

You like to think you know what others think.

--
Poutnik

Poutnik

Feb 4, 2013, 2:35:18 AM2/4/13

VanguardLH posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 10:39:53 -0600

> "Poutnik" wrote:
>
> > I do not know MGU, but Secunia and FileHippo serve very different
> > purposes each.
> >
> > The former is focused to security only updates across all software,
>
> [Secunia PSI] focuses on "security only updates". Not true.

This is not true.
It is trues that all updates of some software are security updates.

> Secunia PSI considers EVERY update to an app as a security update.

I such case Secunia miss many updates SUMO does not,
what is difficult, as if just few SUMO users use the SW
and none of them is aware of new version, neither MO is aware.
I use lot of such software.

> Secunia PSI is not an security update checker. It is an update checker.

--
Poutnik

Poutnik

Feb 4, 2013, 2:36:59 AM2/4/13

VanguardLH posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 10:39:53 -0600

> "Poutnik" wrote:
>
> > I do not know MGU, but Secunia and FileHippo serve very different
> > purposes each.
> >
> > The former is focused to security only updates across all software,
>
> [Secunia PSI] focuses on "security only updates". Not true.

PSI relies on Secunia security reports, that do include some Not
vulnerable, but that is rather exception, as being evaluated so during
security evaluation.

--
Poutnik

John Corliss

Feb 4, 2013, 3:35:00 AM2/4/13
I've seen this kind of thing before. It's probably reporting back which
programs you have installed to somebody, and IMO that's nobody's
business but my own. And besides, I'm fully capable of keeping my
programs updated on my own and when I like. I detest the idea of updates
being automatically installed in the background.

--
John Corliss BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, share,
spy, time-limited, trial or web wares, OR warez for me, please: just

Simply filtering out any message with b7r7tn in the "From" header will
remove an incredible amount of the trolling from this group for you.

Jim S

Feb 4, 2013, 5:50:32 AM2/4/13
On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 00:35:00 -0800, John Corliss wrote:

> occam wrote:
>>
>> "The MajorGeeks Software Updater will help you ensure your apps are up
>> to date quickly and easily. As most of you know, apps are updated all
>> the time for a number of reasons."
>>
>> Download
>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/MajorGeeks_Software_Updater_d8044.html
>>
>> Change log:
>> New in This Version:
>> Updated Executable.
>> New and improved scan.
>> Looks like we got the missing file bug fixed.
>> Misc Bug Fixes.
>> Minor interface changes.
>>
>> Personal remarks:
>> - The program has a small footprint and is portable.
>> - It worked on Win XP with some false 'updates'
>> - It did not work for me on Win 7.
>
> I've seen this kind of thing before. It's probably reporting back which
> programs you have installed to somebody, and IMO that's nobody's
> business but my own. And besides, I'm fully capable of keeping my
> programs updated on my own and when I like. I detest the idea of updates
> being automatically installed in the background.

I see your point of view John.
I tried the MajorGeeks one and the SUMO one and picked up several spywares
and a homepage hijacker. Perhaps I wasn't concentrating on the right tick
boxes :-(
This happens with Download.com (cnet) if you take your eye off it.
Secunia and filehippo don't do this and the choice is left to you.

Poutnik

Feb 4, 2013, 6:17:49 AM2/4/13

Jim S posted Mon, 4 Feb 2013 10:50:32 +0000

> I tried the MajorGeeks one and the SUMO one and picked up several
spywares
> and a homepage hijacker. Perhaps I wasn't concentrating on the right tick
> boxes :-(

SOMO comes with several package variants.
Installer one ( or one of installer ones, I do not use that ) contains
some Open Candy software installer.
7z package is free of that.

Some site add some site installer wrappers, better to go to SUMO webpage.

--
Poutnik

wasbit

Feb 4, 2013, 10:17:41 AM2/4/13
"wasbit" <wasbit_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "occam" <oc...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

Also

Gaijin Update Notifier
- http://www.gaijin.at/en/dlupdnotifier.php

Regards
wasbit

Jax and Haby Newly Weds

Feb 4, 2013, 1:47:01 PM2/4/13
Poutnik, as a favor to us,would you please let us know which
application updater, or update availability announcers you use? Yes,
these are the best for you and not necessarily for me, but I still
might get ideas. Please tell us!
Thnaks.