(OT) This is how popular telemetry is

John C.

May 9, 2021, 2:20:39 PM5/9/21
96% of US users opt out of app tracking in iOS 14.5, analytics find

Some of the first data on user behavior exceeds advertisers' worst fears.

It seems that in the United States, at least, app developers and
advertisers who rely on targeted mobile advertising for revenue are
seeing their worst fears realized: Analytics data published this week
suggests that US users choose to opt out of tracking 96 percent of the
time in the wake of iOS 14.5.

When Apple released iOS 14.5 late last month, it began enforcing a
policy called App Tracking Transparency. iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV apps
are now required to request users' permission to use techniques like
IDFA (ID for Advertisers) to track those users' activity across multiple
apps for data collection and ad targeting purposes.

The change met fierce resistance from companies like Facebook, whose
market advantages and revenue streams are built on leveraging users'
data to target the most effective ads at those users. Facebook went so
far as to take out full-page newspaper ads claiming that the change
would not just hurt Facebook but would destroy small businesses around
the world. Shortly after, Apple CEO Tim Cook attended a data privacy
conference and delivered a speech that harshly criticized Facebook's
business model.

Nonetheless, Facebook and others have complied with Apple's new rule to
avoid being rejected from the iPhone's App Store, though some apps
present a screen explaining why users should opt in before the
Apple-mandated prompt to opt in or out appears.

This new data comes from Verizon-owned Flurry Analytics, which claims to
be used in more than one million mobile apps. Flurry says it will update
the data daily so followers can see the trend as it progresses.

Full article is here:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/05/96-of-us-users-opt-out-of-app-tracking-in-ios-14-5-analytics-find/

Facebook is threatening to charge for their service because of Apple's
policy. Boo-hoo.

More and more of my friends and relatives are giving up on Facebook and
that's very good to see.

--
John C. BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, pirated,
share, spy, time-limited, trial or web wares for me please. I filter out

John C.

May 9, 2021, 2:21:20 PM5/9/21
This is my second attempt to post this message. ES is having problems
again it looks like.

kelown

May 9, 2021, 5:47:29 PM5/9/21
On 5/9/2021 3:18 AM, John C. wrote:

I don't understand why you and Yrrah are starting new threads on the
same topic.

Shadow

May 9, 2021, 6:18:51 PM5/9/21
+1
Interesting. 96% of the users don't want their private
information shared with "trusted partners".
They obviously "have something to hide".
LOL
[]'s

--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Flasherly

May 9, 2021, 8:42:06 PM5/9/21
On Sun, 9 May 2021 16:47:24 -0500, kelown <kel...@privacy.invalid>
wrote:

>On 5/9/2021 3:18 AM, John C. wrote:
>
>I don't understand why you and Yrrah are starting new threads on the
>same topic.

Probably just the messenger's attempt to be polite. Crossposts,
screaming in all capitals, repeatedly, over and over, and/or talking
about ya' mudder, into recently vacated phones at the ISP receiver,
who didn't hang-up, forgot and put it on the table, thinking why not
go out and binge on BigMacs. Stuff like that.

SpamBlk

May 9, 2021, 8:45:44 PM5/9/21
"John C." <r9j...@yahoo.com> wrote in <news:s794k1$hac$1...@dont-email.me>:

> Facebook went so
> far as to take out full-page newspaper ads claiming that the change
> would not just hurt Facebook but would destroy small businesses around
> the world

LOL.

Flasherly

May 9, 2021, 9:06:11 PM5/9/21
On Sun, 09 May 2021 19:18:09 -0300, Shadow <S...@dow.br> wrote:

>+1
> Interesting. 96% of the users don't want their private
>information shared with "trusted partners".
> They obviously "have something to hide".

Mark CEO facebook was saying the same thing if not in a directly
related response -- 'If Ya'All don't get your Heads and priorities
Screwed Straight (with what's down below) then I'm going to have to
start charging you for this crap.'

Which makes perfect sense if something perfectly free, on social
media, obviously -- in another survey released at the same time,
aside, as the above -- that says (not) messing with the kids' minds,
apparently, is neither related to what, particularly, this is all
about -- & whatever (else) is going down in their parents' minds with
social media issues.

Upon consideration, the clear meaning, is don't be unduly concerned if
6th.-grader Jeanie Doe traipses out the door, off to school along the
yellowbrick road, with a Glock packed in her gentrified lunchbox.

-
It said wot
Wot did it said?
It said that, well that is a rat!
Ra ti-tat dat
Go gossip that!
That was a fact!
It said wot?
Nooooo! It said that!
Make it take it back.
-Johnny Rotten

John C.

May 10, 2021, 4:17:45 AM5/10/21
kelown wrote:
> John C. wrote:
>
> I don't understand why you and Yrrah are starting new threads on the
> same topic.

I always try to look first to see if a topic has already been posted
about, so does Yrrah. Mistakes happen.

Besides, you're generalizing. It was ONE POST about Audacity having
telemetry.

As for this thread, there was a glitch on the Eternal September server
and my post (MID <s785sa$ubg$1...@dont-email.me>) was held up. That's also
why I had to attempt to post the message twice.

I don't have to explain myself to you anyway. This will be the last time
I do it.

John C.

May 10, 2021, 4:24:00 AM5/10/21
jo...@invalidated.com wrote:
> kelown wrote:
>> John C. wrote:
>>
>> I don't understand why you and Yrrah are starting new threads on the
>> same topic.
>
> I don't understand why the word 'telemetry' is being used. I have
> never heard it before in regard to browsers.

Then you need to look up the word. Also, did you even read the original
post to this thread?

> I kind of scanned the stuff

Then there's the problem.

> and it seems it means something about 'calling home'. Am I
> right? Personally, I'm sick of the bleeping subject.

If you read the FUCKING ORIGINAL POST TO THIS THREAD, you'll see that it
has nothing to do whatsoever with browsers, is instead about Facebook
and the Apple corporation.

> Yeah, I know. I'm one of the ignorant 'great unwashed'.

If you're sick of the topic, don't read the thread. This is an
unmoderated group and I will post about whatever I like the way
everybody else does these days.

John C.

May 10, 2021, 11:27:06 PM5/10/21
Yrrah wrote:
> "John C." <r9j...@yahoo.com> :
>
>> I always try to look first to see if a topic has already been posted
>> about, so does Yrrah. Mistakes happen.
>>
>> Besides, you're generalizing. It was ONE POST about Audacity having
>> telemetry.
>>
>> As for this thread, there was a glitch on the Eternal September server
>> and my post (MID <s785sa$ubg$1...@dont-email.me>) was held up. That's also
>> why I had to attempt to post the message twice.
>
> Your Audacity post appeared here after I had posted mine. These things
> happen occasionally. You and I know that.

Every time I post something to this group, I immediately check to see if
it goes through by clicking on "Get Messages" in Thunderbird. This is
because of a recent, previous and identical problem with the
Eternal-September newsfeed,where I had to set up an Aioe account in
Thunderbird in order to be able to post for two or three days. After
that time, my posts finally all came through.

My first and second attempts to post the message about Audacity did not
come through, and were held up for one full day. I kept copies of both
the posts in TB until they did.

>> I don't have to explain myself to you anyway. This will be the last time
>> I do it.
>
> You are absolutely right.

John C.

May 11, 2021, 12:21:07 AM5/11/21
John C. wrote:
> Yrrah wrote:
>> "John C." <r9j...@yahoo.com> :
>>
>>> I always try to look first to see if a topic has already been posted
>>> about, so does Yrrah. Mistakes happen.
>>>
>>> Besides, you're generalizing. It was ONE POST about Audacity having
>>> telemetry.
>>>
>>> As for this thread, there was a glitch on the Eternal September server
>>> and my post (MID <s785sa$ubg$1...@dont-email.me>) was held up. That's also
>>> why I had to attempt to post the message twice.
>>
>> Your Audacity post appeared here after I had posted mine. These things
>> happen occasionally. You and I know that.
>
> Every time I post something to this group, I immediately check to see if
> it goes through by clicking on "Get Messages" in Thunderbird. This is
> because of a recent, previous and identical problem with the
> Eternal-September newsfeed,where I had to set up an Aioe account in
> Thunderbird in order to be able to post for two or three days. After
> that time, my posts finally all came through.
>
> My first and second attempts to post the message about Audacity did not
> come through, and were held up for one full day. I kept copies of both
> the posts in TB until they did.

I also want to mention that before I posted about Audacity, I checked to
see if you had already done so. I didn't see a similar post from you at
that point, so I went ahead and made my first attempt to post my version
of the message which didn't come through. I'm not saying that you hadn't
already posted your message about Audacity, just that I didn't see it
and I even went so far as to refresh the group to check for such a
message from you. When my post didn't come through, I closed the group
and decided to keep a copy of the message in TB. The next day, I tried
again and *it* didn't come through either. I kept a copy of that attempt
as well, but decided to wait and see what happened. It took another day
for both attempts to appear on the ES server.

>>> I don't have to explain myself to you anyway. This will be the last time
>>> I do it.
>>
>> You are absolutely right.

I don't mind explaining to you though, Yrrah, because you weren't
behaving rudely like kelown and joeE were.