Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File

Nic

Sep 11, 2022, 4:04:48 PM9/11/22
https://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

ou can use a modified HOSTS file to block ads, banners, 3rd party
Cookies <https://winhelp2002.mvps.org/cookies.htm>, 3rd party page
counters, web bugs <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_beacon>, and even
most hijackers and possibly unwanted programs. This is accomplished by
blocking the connection(s) that supplies these little gems. The Hosts
file <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file> is loaded into memory
(cache) at startup, so there is no need to turn on, adjust or change any
settings with the exception of the DNS Client service (see below
<https://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm#DNS>). Windows automatically
looks for the existence of a HOSTS file and if found, checks the HOSTS
file first for entries to the web page you just requested. The *0*.0.0.0
(prefix) is considered the location of your computer, so when an entry
listed in the MVPS HOSTS file is requested on a page you are viewing,
your computer thinks 0.0.0.0 is the location of the file. When this file
is not located it skips onto the next file and thus the ad server is
blocked from loading the banner, Cookie, or some unscrupulous tracker,
or javascript file.

Example - the following entry *0.0.0.0* ad.doubleclick.net blocks all
files supplied by that DoubleClick
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubleclick> Server to the web page you
are viewing. This also prevents the server from tracking your movements.
Why? ... because in certain cases "Ad Servers" like Doubleclick (and
many others) will try silently to open a separate connection
<https://winhelp2002.mvps.org/doubleclick.gif> on the webpage you are
viewing, record your movements then yes ... follow you to additional
sites you may visit.

Using a well designed HOSTS file can speed the loading of web pages by
not having to wait for these ads, annoying banners, hit counters
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hit_counter>, etc. to load. This also
helps to protect your Privacy and Security by blocking sites that may
track your viewing habits, also known as  "click-thru tracking" or Data
Miners <http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/data_miner.html>. Simply using a
HOSTS file is not a cure-all against all the dangers on the Internet,
but it does provide another very effective "Layer of Protection".

In case you're wondering ... this all happens in microseconds, which is
much faster than trying to fetch a file from half way around the world.
Another great feature of the HOSTS file is that it is a two-way file,
meaning if some parasite does get into your system (usually bundled with
other products) the culprit can not get out (call home) as long as the
necessary entries exist.

--
Pity the fool who followed his GPS over the cliff

Nil

Sep 13, 2022, 1:20:44 PM9/13/22
Has not been updated since March 2021. It appears to be a dead project.

Nic

Sep 13, 2022, 1:28:46 PM9/13/22
>> may track your viewing habits, also known as  "click-thru
>> tracking" or Data Miners
>> <http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/data_miner.html>. Simply using a
>> HOSTS file is not a cure-all against all the dangers on the
>> Internet, but it does provide another very effective "Layer of
>> Protection".
>>
>> In case you're wondering ... this all happens in microseconds,
>> which is much faster than trying to fetch a file from half way
>> around the world. Another great feature of the HOSTS file is that
>> it is a two-way file, meaning if some parasite does get into your
>> system (usually bundled with other products) the culprit can not
>> get out (call home) as long as the necessary entries exist.

The point you should have understood is that the HOSTS file is the
primary gate and that you do not need a program to do this modification,
a simple text editor is all you need. I am using Linux and it has a
HOSTS file, even window$ uses a HOSTS file.

Delph Parkman

Sep 14, 2022, 12:28:57 AM9/14/22
You might have already be scammed by an imposter who you fell in love with, or an unregulated crypto broker. People that fall for such frauds don't always consider the fact that they can get assistance for this. They think that people will laugh at them.
But, this doesn't mean that you should just ignore it, and try to go on with your life. This is not something you are going to forget over night and it may affect you in a lot of ways. The good news is that with the technology that we have today, it is a lot easier to get assistance after falling for this type of scams.
This is the good news. It is actually possible for crypto fraud victims to get their money back after being scammed.
The secret is that you should just know where to find the right assistance for this scams.
I went through similar situation and i met a hacker who helped me out. be rest assured your lost or stolen funds will be recovered back to either your wallet or bank account depending on how you want to receive it. contact them here if you are in similar situation.
https://blokckwiz.wixsite.com/blockwiz
Email: block...@cyber-wizard.com
Tel: +1 (352) 443-8803 (whatsapp only)

Nil

Sep 15, 2022, 3:13:33 AM9/15/22
On 13 Sep 2022, Nic <N...@none.net> wrote in alt.comp.freeware:

> The point you should have understood is that the HOSTS file is the
> primary gate and that you do not need a program to do this
> modification, a simple text editor is all you need. I am using
> Linux and it has a HOSTS file, even window$ uses a HOSTS file.

The point you should have understood is that you are advertising a dead
product.

Nic

Sep 16, 2022, 3:12:02 PM9/16/22
The product may be dead but the HOSTS file is alive and when used
properly can block any incoming or outgoing telemetry from your
computer. This way you can use your freeware freely, without worrying
that it is phoning home with all your financial and personal
information. The first thing to block is www.google.com.

wasbit

Sep 17, 2022, 4:21:07 AM9/17/22
If you really want to try & block google you need more than just google
in your hosts file, eg

127.0.0.1 *.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 *.googleadservices.com
127.0.0.1 *.googlecommerce.com