Program to extract pictures from .SCR files?

Larry Sabo

Jan 11, 2009, 10:38:44 AM1/11/09
Greetings all,

A client received a screensave (.SCR file) from a friend, with some
beautiful images. He wants to extract the embedded images in their
original high-quality, if at all possible. I showed him how to use a
screen capture utility to do it, but of course they are of limited
resolution. I've done a thorough Google search but can't find
anything. Using a standard Windows Vista SCR file, I tried Universal
Extractor, Resource Extractor and ZipGenius (and trying different file
extensions) without success.

Anyone found a solution other than screen captures?

Larry

Mike Echo

Jan 11, 2009, 4:16:27 PM1/11/09
Larry Sabo wrote:

> He wants to extract the embedded images in their
> original high-quality, if at all possible.

> Anyone found a solution other than screen captures?
> Larry

Look into some sort of resource editor/hacker, such as:

http://angusj.com/resourcehacker/

I haven't tried it but it sounds like it might fit the bill.

R.

--
I don't need to tell the world who I plonk. I just do it.

Larry Sabo

Jan 11, 2009, 5:35:37 PM1/11/09
Mike Echo <y...@wish.com> wrote:

>Larry Sabo wrote:
>
>> He wants to extract the embedded images in their
>> original high-quality, if at all possible.
>
>> Anyone found a solution other than screen captures?
>> Larry
>
>Look into some sort of resource editor/hacker, such as:
>
>http://angusj.com/resourcehacker/
>
>I haven't tried it but it sounds like it might fit the bill.
>
>R.

Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. I just tried it with the Aurora.scr
file and it shows a BMP resource in hex. Saving the resouce as a
binary file (aurora.bmp) then opening that, does yield something like
the Aurora screensave, but only a little like it. I'll get my client
to send me the SCR file he has and see what it reveals.

Cheers,
Larry

Johnw

Jan 11, 2009, 8:36:49 PM1/11/09
Larry Sabo presented the following explanation :

Maybe screensaver into slideshow & then use this.

PowerpointImageExtractor
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Other-Office-Tools/Powerpoint-Image-Extractor.shtml
http://alainlecomte.free.fr/Download.htm
PowerpointImageExtractor is an application that will extract pictures
and wave files embedded in the MS PowerPoint presentations and
slideshows (.PPT and .PPS files).
The pictures and sound files found are saved in a separate folder. OS:
Windows All.

Larry Sabo

Jan 11, 2009, 9:34:50 PM1/11/09
Johnw <jm...@webace.com.au> wrote:

Not sure how I would convert the screensaver into to PPS, and whether
that would capture the high-res contents of the SCR file or not, but I
doubt it. Thanks for the thought anyway, John. ResHacker seems to show
some promise and I've asked my client for the SCR file in question to
try it out. I'll report how that turns out.

Cheers,
Larry

Mike Echo

Jan 11, 2009, 11:38:09 PM1/11/09
Larry Sabo wrote:

> >http://angusj.com/resourcehacker/

> Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. I just tried it with the Aurora.scr
> file and it shows a BMP resource in hex. Saving the resouce as a
> binary file (aurora.bmp) then opening that, does yield something like
> the Aurora screensave, but only a little like it. I'll get my client
> to send me the SCR file he has and see what it reveals.

I did try it out and it does work, but it depends on how the actual
bitmap has been saved within the executable I think. I managed to
extract a bitmap from a screensaver I have here.

Larry Sabo

Jan 12, 2009, 9:01:13 AM1/12/09
Mike Echo <y...@wish.com> wrote:

Thanks for the report, Mike. I'll try it with the screensaver in
question when he sends it to me, and report on how it turns out.
Encouraged to hear that it worked for you!

Cheers,
Larry