Software Updater ?

Rick

Aug 8, 2012, 7:07:16 PM8/8/12
Looking for a software app, that can scan all the software installed,
and show which ones, needs updating.. it would be nice if the software
would install the
new update..etc or something like that, if you need to deselect items
like google chrome option.

Currently using Secunia PSI, but this does not have a complete list of
software.

Thanks -
Rick

Lemurian Lumpen Proletarians

Aug 8, 2012, 7:48:40 PM8/8/12
Start with Speccy - System Information - Free Download - Piriform
www.piriform.com/speccy
Speccy is an advanced System Information tool for your PC. Need to
find out what's inside your computer? No problem! Speccy will give you
all the information ...
Download Speccy • Screenshots • Reviews • FAQ.

This reveals your software and OS.

http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/

http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo

Lemurian Lumpen Proletarians

Aug 8, 2012, 7:48:07 PM8/8/12

Poutnik

Aug 9, 2012, 12:17:17 AM8/9/12

Rick from Rick-n...@gmail.com
posted Wed, 08 Aug 2012 19:07:16 -0400
PSI addresses only security related updates,
not general updates bringing new features
or fixing non-security related bugs.

For general updates I use SUMO
http://www.kcsoftwares.com/index.php?sumo

Best to use non installer version
http://www.kcsoftwares.com/files/sumo.7z
http://www.kcsoftwares.com/files/sumo.zip
as installer contains Open Candy.

It is community driven. For rarely used software
it may not to show update, if there is no community member
with newer version.

There is also software informer
http://software.informer.com/

that I used in past,
but abandoned for reasons I do not remember.

--
Poutnik ( occasionally posting by GGroups from poutnik4nntp acc. )

Poutnik

Aug 9, 2012, 12:23:50 AM8/9/12

Poutnik from pou...@privacy.invalid
posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 06:17:17 +0200

> Best to use non installer version
> http://www.kcsoftwares.com/files/sumo.7z
> http://www.kcsoftwares.com/files/sumo.zip
> as installer contains Open Candy.

There is also installer version without that 3rd party SW:
http://www.kcsoftwares.com/files/sumo_nork.exe

The Seabat

Aug 9, 2012, 11:47:29 AM8/9/12
On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 06:17:17 +0200, Poutnik <pou...@privacy.invalid>
wrote:
I use this one to install to a new installation, but it says that it
will update existing apps also. Have not tried that feature as I like
to research and update manually. But for me it's fast!

--
The Seabat

s|b

Aug 9, 2012, 2:12:54 PM8/9/12
What's missing?

--
s|b

Dave Doe

Aug 10, 2012, 8:56:49 AM8/10/12
In article <5022f122$0$21503$9a6e...@unlimited.newshosting.com>, Rick-
nos...@gmail.com, Rick says...
http://www.patchmypc.net/

--
Duncan.

The Seabat

Aug 10, 2012, 12:48:00 PM8/10/12
Sorry, forgot the link! My bad!

Link: http://ninite.com/
--
The Seabat

Tommy

Aug 10, 2012, 7:45:23 PM8/10/12
"The Seabat" <sea...@boardermail.com> wrote in message
> The Seabat
http://ninite.com/

I remember uninstalling this a few months ago - and can't remember why.
I know it was highly configurable and did a good job

I do remember that it identifies and downloads out of date stufff
Have you any reason not to trust it

Cheers

The Seabat

Aug 11, 2012, 10:06:17 AM8/11/12
Not really. Like I said, I only use it to install the apps onto new
HDDs or when a client want a new re-install. Updates I like to do
manually. I have no problems with it as I use it. It's very fast and
what I like is that it automatically un checks all those crappy opt-in
(like Chrome and Ask) stuff that is prevalent in almost all app
installs lately. I seem to remember that you can set it to just update
certain apps or to alert you to new versions available. I've never
found anything nefarious left over after using it.
--
The Seabat

Tommy

Aug 11, 2012, 5:03:16 PM8/11/12
"The Seabat" <sea...@boardermail.com>
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 00:45:23 +0100, "Tommy"
> <tommyle...@geemale.com> wrote:
>>> http://ninite.com/

>>>Cheers

> Not really. Like I said, I only use it to install the apps onto new
> HDDs or when a client want a new re-install. Updates I like to do
> manually. I have no problems with it as I use it. It's very fast and
> what I like is that it automatically un checks all those crappy opt-in
> (like Chrome and Ask) stuff that is prevalent in almost all app
> installs lately. I seem to remember that you can set it to just update
> certain apps or to alert you to new versions available. I've never
> found anything nefarious left over after using it.
> --
> The Seabat

Okay, thanks -
I did get good service from it -
I'm going to reinstall and see what it was that made me get rid of it,
so I can be sure to be sure :)

Cheers
Tommy