Usenet Server

AllanH

Feb 17, 2024, 3:07:32 PMFeb 17

VanguardLH

Feb 17, 2024, 4:18:50 PMFeb 17
AllanH <nos...@unokix.invalid> wrote:

> Some one can correct me if I'm mistaken, but this looks like a Free Usenet server that I haven't seen.
> For posting, you e-mail them for an account.
> https://usenet.blueworldhosting.com/

Thankfully they are a registered Usenet provider: accounts are needed
for login to submit posts (write). Registration helps reduce noise from
trolls, forgers, spammers, and other unwanteds, because they have
something to lose: their account. Unregistered Usenet providers (e.g.,
paganini, and AIOE before it died a year ago) attract crap posters,
because there's no way to filter them out since they have no account
through which they submit.

I've seen blueworld posters for quite a while. It isn't new, just new
to you. They don't have much for Terms of Use leaving much undefined to
allow abuse. As they state, they only carry text content. No binaries.

"Excessive use of resources will result in IP blocking."

No definition of how much is excessive, or it that applies to the number
of concurrent connects, how many connects per some time frame, or what.
IP blocking is a poor means of blocking unwanted posters. Most users
get dynamic IP addresses, they lose the bind in a short time, and
someone else might get the old IP addresses, but would get blocked
though they were innocent of the abuse. Since they require accounts to
post, suspending or killing accounts would be far more effective,
accurate, and fair.

Forging is also not defined. Some Usenet providers hint that anything
trying to make oneself look like someone else is forging. Some only
qualify as forging on the address token in the From header (and not on
the comment field). Eternal-September, for example, considers forging
on only the address token in From (see
http://www.eternal-september.org/index.php?showpage=abuse#Forging).
There are forgers that will slightly modify the address token to be
almost identical to someone else, use the same comment token (name)
trying to look like someone else, add headers to make it look like the
post was submitted through the forged user's service, and so on. The
forger does more than just use the exact same e-mail address in From
trying to pretend they are someone else, or posting through elsewhere.
They also can only take action on a forger using ES, not if the forger
submits elsewhere. ES rules applies to ES, not to other Usenet
providers. ES can issue NOCEMs trying to get the forger's posts removed
elsewhere, but other Usenet providers would have to accept the NOCEMs
they didn't issue.

According to web.archive.org, that web page has been found since 2013:

http://web.archive.org/web/20240000000000*/https://usenet.blueworldhosting.com/

There wasn't much in their old web page. They grew as they aged. For
their first version of that web page, see:

http://web.archive.org/web/20130818062642/https://usenet.blueworldhosting.com/

JJ

Feb 17, 2024, 4:48:34 PMFeb 17
On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 14:07:24 -0600, AllanH wrote:
> Some one can correct me if I'm mistaken, but this looks like a Free Usenet server that I haven't seen.
> For posting, you e-mail them for an account.
> https://usenet.blueworldhosting.com/

Nice! Beats ES's retention. At least for alt.comp.freeware.

Server (see #1) Groups Access, oldest msg (#4), notes
-------------------------- ------ ------------------------------
news.blueworldhosting.com 45058 r,-w, R, W 2003-07-01, #7
news.eternal-september.org 29964 r, w, R, W, 2012-06-08

Notes:
1. Only freely accessible servers are listed.
With or without free account registration.
4. Oldest message dates are retrived from alt.comp.freeware.
7. Last checked at 2024-02-18.

John C.

Feb 18, 2024, 7:22:12 AMFeb 18
So the starting point of BWH's retention would have been roughly a
little over two years after Google bought out Dejanews:

https://googlepress.blogspot.com/2001/02/google-acquires-usenet-discussion.html

--
John C. No ad, CD, cripple, demo, nag, pay, pirated, share, spy,
time-limited, trial or web wares for me please.

So that I don't see them, I filter out:
-crossposts (sent to multiple newsgroups) at a time
-posts sent via Google Groups* due to spam from that source
-trolls (eg. "Bucky Breeder" and his many sock puppets)

If you do the same, the group will be easier for you to read.