Is the "Fisherman's Friends" DVD audio described or not?

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Sep 5, 2019, 6:36:08 AM9/5/19
(For those unfamiliar with it, this is a film about a group of Cornish
Fishermen, who sing, mostly sea-shanties. They do exist, and are quite
popular among those who like that sort of thing, and the wider folk
music area in general. The film is a dramatised version of how they were
"discovered" by a record-company executive.)
..
The cinema (US: theatre) release of the film _is_ audio described,
obviously only in cinemas that are suitably equipped.
..
The DVD of the film, according to _one_ webpage on amazon.co.uk, is
described as something like
.
Language: English; English (audio described).
..
Most other amazon.co.uk pages for it do not mention this.
..
My friend - a serious fan of the 'group - bought the DVD. (She'd seen
the film in the cinema, taken by friends; the friends got their money
back as the AD system wasn't working the night they went, though she
enjoyed it anyway!) As far as I can see, there's no mention of AD on the
back of the case of the DVD itself (I could see something that I think
referred to subtitles). She has tried some software called something
like digital audio extractor, which she has a description by another
user which I've listened to: at the point where the other user gets to
(with a different DVD), it seems to list several alternative soundtracks
(basic, AD, director's commentary), whereas when my friend got to the
same point with the software and her FF DVD, there only seemed to be the
one. I also tried with VLC, and could only find one, though I'm not too
familiar with that aspect of VLC so I _could_ have missed something.
..
Does anyone else here have this DVD and been able to see whether it has
AD - either via some software (if so which one), or via a DVD player
that has that aspect? (My friend does not have a DVD player, being
totally blind.)
..
The DVD may not be available outside this region (I think we are region
2; we're in UK), or if it is, that one may be different.
..
Anyone recommend any _other_ softwares that can select alternative
soundtracks from a DVD, that are vis-friendly?

For this star a "night on the tiles" means winning at Scrabble - Kathy Lette
(on Kylie), RT 2014/1/11-17

Brian Gaff

Sep 7, 2019, 1:46:56 PM9/7/19
No but this seems to be a pretty normal problem on some dvds. It seems like
there is a first release then another one full of crap and out takes that
does no longer have the AD, Its really stupid today as it often seems that
rights to the ad and the actual film are not always owned by the same
people, its even the case on tv, which is why we get uk ad on us shows that
had ameerican ad originally. They need to get their comunal fingers out and
sort it. Also the AD in cinemas here is hit and miss as well, most of the
staff do not know what its about, for example there was a Swedish film shown
in Odeon. It had English subtitles but the AD track played in the cinema was
in Swedish. Either nobody had checked it had been done in English or it
needed to be selected and nobody knew how to do it.
We have had similar issues with Asian films and Eastern European ones in
the last year.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote in message

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Sep 7, 2019, 2:37:59 PM9/7/19
(Original post is at end - Brian top-posts, which I accept in his
circumstances.)

In message <ql0qed$k38$1...@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
<bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>No but this seems to be a pretty normal problem on some dvds. It seems like
>there is a first release then another one full of crap and out takes that

I don't _think_ that was the case here.

>does no longer have the AD, Its really stupid today as it often seems that
>rights to the ad and the actual film are not always owned by the same
>people, its even the case on tv, which is why we get uk ad on us shows that

I think, there, there is also the matter of editing for advertisement
breaks causing problems.

>had ameerican ad originally. They need to get their comunal fingers out and

They won't unless someone makes them.

Brian Gaff

Sep 8, 2019, 3:15:31 AM9/8/19
I forgot about this. I'm on their mailing list, and they mention even here
of the problems with dvds.....
Accessible Audio described/narrated film info.

In cinemas:

It Chapter 2, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, Downton Abbey, Angel Has
Fallen, The Lion King, The Informer, The Souvenir, A Million Little Pieces,
The Mustang, Dora The Explorer, Scary Stories, Crawl, Good Boys, Blinded by
the Light, Fast & Furious Hobbs & Shaw, Angry Birds, Toy Story & more!

All popular films are provided to cinemas with an AD track. Cinemas can
purchase equipment to enable film fans with sight loss to hear this
narration track. Most UK cinemas provide regular, accessible AD shows.

https://www.yourlocalcinema.com/ad.html

+

AD at home:

Green Book, The Favourite, Stan & Ollie, How To Train Your Dragon: The
Hidden World, Glass, Bumblebee, Spiderman into the Spiderverse, Aquaman,
Mary Queen Of Scots, All Is True, Vice, Beautiful Boy, Mortal Engines, King
Of Thieves, A Star A Born, Venom, The Predator, Mile 22, The House With The
Clock In Its Walls,The Nun, A Simple Favour, Blackkklansman, The Meg, They
Shall Not Grow Old, The Equalizer 2, Mission Impossible Fallout and many
more.

Full list: https://www.yourlocalcinema.com/ad.dvd.html

Note: Some re-release, rental, or extended versions may NOT include the AD
track. Please ensure packaging/disc is checked before you purchase or rent!

+

Clips: Harry Potter, The Hobbit, Lord Of The Rings, Jurassic World, Alien,
Jaws, Toy Story, The Lion King, The Shining, Pulp Fiction, 2001 A Space
Odyssey, The Godfather, Fifty Shades Of Grey, Frozen, Stephen King's It,
Dunkirk, Beauty and the Beast, Star Wars, Spectre, Paddington, Gone Girl,
The Hunger Games and many more:

https://www.yourlocalcinema.com/ad.mp3samples.html

+

"Our society is ageing. And with ageing, loss of some hearing and sight is
inevitable. Access to film - via subtitles/captions and audio description -
is something that we may all appreciate, eventually"
Complaints? Praise? Let us know! Just email: a...@yourlocalcinema.com

Twitter: http://twitter.com/yourlocalcinema/likes
Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/YLCFacebook
Text message: +44 7931341377
WhatsApp: whatsapp://send?abid=yourlocalcinema&text=Hi
Online Chat: https://tinyurl.com/YLCChat
Phone: 0845 0569824

You have received this email from Your Local Cinema .com, a service
Supported by UK film distributors and BFI. Visit our supporters:
http://www.yourlocalcinema.com/sponsors.html

Important data notice!
We know nothing about you, apart from your email address/twitter name and
nearest cinemas. We will keep that data secure and never sell it. If you do
not wish to receive further emails from us, and would like us to delete your
data from our files, please reply to this email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE.

END.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Brian Gaff" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Sep 8, 2019, 3:19:56 AM9/8/19
A lack of understanding and general malaise seems to be the guiding factor
for most of this sort of nonsense, until its treated as an integral part of
whatever it is, it will always go wrong I fear.
Incidentally, every Saturday, Mushroom Escape, the internet station has an
audio described film in audio only.
I've never seen one more modern than mid 2000s myself, many are classics
and hence much older. This last week I think it was from the mid 1990s.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote in message

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Sep 8, 2019, 4:17:18 AM9/8/19
In message <ql29qi$kig$1...@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
<bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>I forgot about this. I'm on their mailing list, and they mention even here
>of the problems with dvds.....
>Accessible Audio described/narrated film info.
>
>In cinemas:

My friend, having no sight at all, isn't that interested in the cinema;
I think the FF film is the first time she's been in the ~40 years I've
known her.
[]
>All popular films are provided to cinemas with an AD track. Cinemas can

Without a definition of what "popular" is, that's just PR guff.
[]
>AD at home:
[]
>Full list: https://www.yourlocalcinema.com/ad.dvd.html

Doesn't seem to include the string "Fishe".

>Note: Some re-release, rental, or extended versions may NOT include the AD
>track. Please ensure packaging/disc is checked before you purchase or rent!

Not possible for online purchase [sad smiley].
[]
>Complaints? Praise? Let us know! Just email: a...@yourlocalcinema.com
>
>Twitter: http://twitter.com/yourlocalcinema/likes
>Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/YLCFacebook
>Text message: +44 7931341377
>WhatsApp: whatsapp://send?abid=yourlocalcinema&text=Hi
>Online Chat: https://tinyurl.com/YLCChat

(I'm trying that now.) (Note: doesn't work - seems to, but just
eventually comes up with "Sorry we missed you. Please read this!
https://www.yourlocalcinema.com/explain.html" - which despite the URL,
doesn't explain.)

>Phone: 0845 0569824
[]

Europeans see luxury as a badge of civilisation. Whereas we [British] have
shabbiness as a badge of civilisation. - Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen, in Radio
Times 12-18 October 2013

Brian Gaff

Sep 8, 2019, 2:21:06 PM9/8/19
Yes they started out subsidised by RNIB, but when everything got AD, it was
cut loose to fend for itself. I'm not sure who funds them now.

Still as I say if she only wants audio, look at Mushroom Escape. Its on the
mushroom fm web site.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote in message

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Sep 9, 2019, 9:22:17 AM9/9/19
In message <ql3gqd$veb$1...@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
<bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>Yes they started out subsidised by RNIB,

Who is "they" in this situation?

> but when everything got AD,

I'm not aware of a law or regulation yet.

> it was
>cut loose to fend for itself. I'm not sure who funds them now.
>
>Still as I say if she only wants audio, look at Mushroom Escape. Its on the
>mushroom fm web site.

But you said only older films. This one came out last or this year, I
think.

>Brian

John

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than
to those attending too small a degree of it. -Thomas Jefferson, 3rd US
president, architect and author (1743-1826)

Brian Gaff

Sep 9, 2019, 10:31:35 AM9/9/19
Well looking at the AD list on Amazon its not on there, but then nor are a
number of the current releases.As I say, it seems to me here that some more
work needs to be done by blind organisations in educating the people
publishing these titles to make damn sure the packaging is informative on
such matters.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Brian Gaff" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Sep 9, 2019, 10:46:28 AM9/9/19
In message <ql5no6$k5j$1...@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
<bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>Well looking at the AD list on Amazon its not on there, but then nor are a

We _did_ find an amazon.co.uk page for it that said it _did_ have AD.
(Not the first one you come to if you search Amazon for it, the ones
with grey colour scheme; the one we found had a mostly black colour
scheme. I suspect I couldn't find it again.)

>number of the current releases.As I say, it seems to me here that some more

It's not clear how that "AD list on Amazon" - I presume you mean the one
linked from the cinema website - does that filtering. It only had 14
DVDs on it when I looked; I'm sure there are more than that (the cinema
site has a long list), so it's actually of little use.

>work needs to be done by blind organisations in educating the people

Ha!

>publishing these titles

And those selling them.

> to make damn sure the packaging is informative on
>such matters.

Certainly wouldn't hurt. But if it's a choice, I'd rather have the AD
there even if the packaging is hopeless on the matter, than not have the
AD there and very informative packaging.

> Brian

John

The average US shareholding lasts 22 seconds. Nobody knows who invented the
fire hydrant: the patent records were destroyed in a fire. Sandcastles kill
more people than sharks. Your brain uses less power than the light in your
fridge. The Statue of Liberty wears size 879 shoes.
- John Lloyd, QI supremo (RT, 2014/9/27-10/3)

Brian Gaff

Sep 10, 2019, 6:43:49 AM9/10/19
I have had a look it was earlier this year but according to the old Odeon
bits I found, our local cinema never had it with AD.

The mystery deepens. I can get no further. Its not listed in the AD list in
amazon either.
As I've said before, there are 'guidelines, but since films are
international, I suspect it will be almost impossible to get all countries
to agree a quota since many cinemas are not even capable as ours are. I
notice increasingly, instead of security guards delivering the media on
large drives, some is coming in over satellite as well, which is no doubt
why there are so many live events on at the cinema, and foreign language
films, particularly in Indian and Eastern European languages and around
here, Korean as well.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Sep 10, 2019, 7:07:05 AM9/10/19
Yes the threads on the two newsgroups seem to have diverged.
Not much point talking to me about colour schemes by the way!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote in message

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Sep 10, 2019, 2:59:31 PM9/10/19
In message <ql804o$me5$1...@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
<bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>Yes the threads on the two newsgroups seem to have diverged.

It's still going to both!

> Not much point talking to me about colour schemes by the way!

I'm posting to the newsgroup, where I assume (for a.c.b-u.u that is)
there might be folk with varying degrees of impairment - as well as
those working in the field but with normal sight themselves.

> Brian

Why not put the "Brian" below the dashdashspace line?

John
Today, I dare say more people know who starred as /The Vicar of Dibley/ than
know the name of the vicar of their local parish. - Clive Anderson, Radio
Times 15-21 January 2011.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Sep 10, 2019, 3:03:31 PM9/10/19
In message <ql7up4$ek5$1...@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
<bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>I have had a look it was earlier this year but according to the old Odeon
>bits I found, our local cinema never had it with AD.

It was definitely in AD at my friend's local Odeon (Silverlink,
Tyneside). But I was specifically asking about the DVD - that's why I
put DVD in the subject.

>The mystery deepens. I can get no further. Its not listed in the AD list in
>amazon either.

That list's as useful as the proverbial cocoa-product-based infusion
holder.
[]

Brian Gaff

Sep 10, 2019, 3:06:44 PM9/10/19
Yes unless they are absolutely sure they don't bother to list it.
What we need is a person in a shop who has it with perhaps a damaged case.
grin.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Sep 10, 2019, 3:19:06 PM9/10/19
I can't see what you mean, its always been this way.
Brian

--
----- --