MIDI software?

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Nov 15, 2019, 9:32:14 AM11/15/19
Does anyone have and use any MIDI software that they find is
speech-friendly and/or Braille-friendly? I'm thinking of MIDI editors,
keyboard drivers, and so on.

The web is a blank slate; you can't design technology that is 'good'. You can't
design paper that you can only write good things on. There are no good or evil
tools. You can put an engine in an ambulance or a tank. - Sir Tim Berners-Lee,
Radio Times 2009-Jan-30 to -Feb-5.

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Nov 21, 2019, 2:02:46 PM11/21/19
Not used midi since the 8 bit days, sorry.
Is it still a thing, then?

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote in message

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Nov 21, 2019, 3:15:05 PM11/21/19
In message <qr6n0l$aeu$1...@news.albasani.net>, "Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)"
<bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>Not used midi since the 8 bit days, sorry.
> Is it still a thing, then?

Very much so, at least among professional keyboard musicians. It also
has a quirky side-connection in the fairground organ world; if such an
instrument is modified to work under a MIDI file, it gives it a much
wider repertoire than can be carried/made from the perforated cardboard
stacks they traditionally run on; I've seen a couple modified so that
they can run from either.

--

Three- (or four-) way referendum, if we _have_ to have another one -
***with second choices taken into account***

Everyone looks sun-kissed and beautiful and as you watch it ["Bondi Rescue"],
pale and flabby on your sofa, you find yourself wondering if your life could
ever be that exotic. (It couldn't. You're British.) - Russell Howard, in
Radio Times, 20-26 April 2013

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Nov 22, 2019, 2:55:53 AM11/22/19
Yes I remember a Yamaha Piano many moons ago being played by a connection to
some computer at a local winery.
I guess not being that musical, I mainly came across it from the ready made
files that could be used to make keyboards and computers play convincing
music.
Back in the 80s, a computer called the Sam Coupe had extensive Midi editing
software on it, but I'd imaging nowadays the software must be pretty
amazing.
What is that audio editor that also seems to support midi called. I tried
to get to grips with into for multi track recording a while back as it was
accessible but it was just far too complex for my brain cells and had loads
of features, like midi which I'd never ever need.
I'm useless at remembering abstract names, especially when to keep it would
have cost me money.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote in message

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Nov 30, 2019, 3:00:45 AM11/30/19
The software I was thinking of was Reaper, by the way. a program which with
its accessible plug in has more features than enough, it was certainly far
too much for my brain to cope with and if you a serious music maker, then
yes, it might be good, buying all the expensive audio interfaces etc to go
with it, but otherwise, if a destructive editor is all you need goldwave
etc, and to probably a better extent audacity, but neither do midi as well.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Nov 30, 2019, 10:45:12 AM11/30/19
In message <qrt7jc$s53$1...@news.albasani.net>, "Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)"
<bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>The software I was thinking of was Reaper, by the way. a program which
>with its accessible plug in has more features than enough, it was
>certainly far too much for my brain to cope with and if you a serious
>music maker, then yes, it might be good, buying all the expensive audio
>interfaces etc to go with it, but otherwise, if a destructive editor is

I think most serious electronic instruments have MIDI anyway. You'd need
some sort of USB-to-MIDI interface, since most PCs now don't have a D15
joystick interface, but those are cheap enough.

>all you need goldwave etc, and to probably a better extent audacity,
>but neither do midi as well.
> Brian

My friend is already a GoldWave user, but that's for actual recordings;
as you say, they don't do MIDI. MIDI is to .wav or .mp3 or whatever as
sheet music is to a record/tape/CD: it instructs _how_ to perform the
music. With a MIDI editor, you can change individual notes - pitch,
duration, or instrument - which you couldn't do with GoldWave etcetera.
Especially if that note is part of a chord where you want to change some
but not all of the notes.
And Jonathan Harker would never have sent all those letters to his beloved
Mina from Transylvania, he'd have texted her instead. "Stuck in weird castle w
guy w big teeth. Missing u. xxxx (-:" - Alison Graham, RT 2015/11/7-13

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Dec 1, 2019, 5:54:41 AM12/1/19
Yes I'm pretty certain Reaper has some of that functionality as well as true
multi track recording and mixing with no destruction of tracks.
However it had so many functions and so many hot keys with its plug ins
and cost serious money, it was, for me a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a
nut.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote in message

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Dec 8, 2019, 4:13:37 AM12/8/19
I got it when I had to use IE 11 to do some work on a podcast download that
firefox could not handle correctly.
It replaced my set home page with the download info and link.
I have to say, I cannot get used to browsers with no menu bar, its such a
mess to use in my view.
I have found the new Waterfox classic and Firefox far more user friendly.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Oct 28, 2020, 12:52:12 AM10/28/20
In article <qsies0$pmg$1...@news.albasani.net>, bri...@blueyonder.co.uk writes:
> I have to say, I cannot get used to browsers with no menu bar, its such a
>mess to use in my view.
> I have found the new Waterfox classic and Firefox far more user friendly.
Google Chrome and Chromium Edge both have a single vertical menu that you bring
down with the alt key like any other. Alt+F also works. Why F was chosen as the
mnemonic key is a mystery, though.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Oct 28, 2020, 11:47:46 AM10/28/20
With my Chrome, pressing the Alt key on its own has no visible effect.
At a guess, Alt-F was chosen because the File menu was (still is) the
first menu in the vast majority of Windows software, and has been for
many versions of Windows (though not all software, and that's always
been so - for example the calculator doesn't have a file menu, logically
enough). Alt-space still does something in Chrome, though - much the
same as it does in any other software (same as clicking on top left, for
sighted users - though most of them don't know of that menu either!).

Radio 4 is one of the reasons being British is good. It's not a subset of
Britain - it's almost as if Britain is a subset of Radio 4. - Stephen Fry, in
Radio Times, 7-13 June, 2003.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Oct 28, 2020, 6:15:48 PM10/28/20
In article <qr6n0l$aeu$1...@news.albasani.net>, bri...@blueyonder.co.uk writes:
>Not used midi since the 8 bit days, sorry.
> Is it still a thing, then?
Absolutely! All electronic musical devices transmit and receive MIDI messages,
and all digital audio workstations support MIDI input and editing.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Oct 28, 2020, 6:22:42 PM10/28/20
In article <qs065g$thl$1...@news.albasani.net>, bri...@blueyonder.co.uk writes:
> However it had so many functions and so many hot keys with its plug ins
>and cost serious money, it was, for me a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a
>nut.
Are $60 U.S. "serious money?" true, Reaper and the OSARA plugin have many
hotkeys, but they all correspond to necessary functions. If you don't use those
functions, don't bother learning those hotkeys.

Arno Schuh

Oct 31, 2020, 12:43:30 PM10/31/20
Do you mean something like this:
http://www.andrelouis.com/qws/