Edge browser and Windows 7

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Dec 7, 2019, 5:26:57 AM12/7/19
So if Windows 7 is being pensioned off, how come I've just been offered Edge
for windows 7?
Its downloaded and installed. Obviously no real info yet, since I just
checked that it ran and seems to run with nvda. It needs a lot of
configuring I imagine as its wide open to every advert known to man and some
which are not, but I imagine this can be sorted. It is very fast by the look
of it, but has bing by default which I find irksome.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Dec 7, 2019, 7:51:17 AM12/7/19
In message <qsfupg$r16$1...@news.albasani.net>, "Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)"
<bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>So if Windows 7 is being pensioned off, how come I've just been offered Edge
>for windows 7?

Interesting question. Where were you "offered" it - did it come as part
of one of the Windows updates? If so, I haven't been offered it yet -
unless it's part of the latest update which I've let install but need a
restart to complete.

> Its downloaded and installed. Obviously no real info yet, since I just
>checked that it ran and seems to run with nvda. It needs a lot of
>configuring I imagine as its wide open to every advert known to man and some
>which are not, but I imagine this can be sorted. It is very fast by the look
>of it, but has bing by default which I find irksome.

That can I presume be changed. Yes, Microsoft tend to put Bing in rather
than Google, which is understandable at least while Bing survives.

>Brian

John

There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known -
Danny Baker

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Dec 9, 2019, 4:39:24 AM12/9/19
That is odd you obviously got the personal reply but the actual news part
seems to have vanished.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote in message

Al Puzzuoli

Dec 14, 2019, 11:17:44 AM12/14/19
Microsoft has released an entirely new build of Edge, based on chromium.
One of the advantages of this new build is that it is very cross
platform. I'm guessing Microsoft is offering it to Windows 7 users,
basically because doing so will require little to no extra efort on their
part in terms of support, and provide Windows 7 users a more secure
alternative to IE.
As an aded bonus, Edge Chromium is also very accessible.
--Al

In article <qsl4oc$mgl$1...@news.albasani.net>, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)"
<bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> says...

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Dec 15, 2019, 5:02:30 AM12/15/19
It may well be accessible but its interface is so different to classic
windows that I find it a real pain to figure things out. I like menu bars
myself as then one can browse the choices and get a feel for what does
what, having some things as context menus, some as toolbars and some as
little widgets seems pretty inconsistent to me.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Al Puzzuoli" <som...@somewhere.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Dec 22, 2019, 6:08:23 AM12/22/19
I see accessibility in the version around 79 got broken either by the Chrome
code or by Microsoft. The later betas seem better, so I hope they only
launch the later version as the full version not the broken ones.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Oct 28, 2020, 12:47:41 AM10/28/20
In article <qt50bl$j6u$1...@news.albasani.net>, bri...@blueyonder.co.uk writes:
> It may well be accessible but its interface is so different to classic
>windows that I find it a real pain to figure things out. I like menu bars
>myself as then one can browse the choices and get a feel for what does
>what, having some things as context menus, some as toolbars and some as
>little widgets seems pretty inconsistent to me.
Windows 10 has just as many menu bars, context menus and standard controls as
every previous version; they're just organized differently. For instance, many
of the control panel applets are being migrated to Settings.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Oct 28, 2020, 12:47:41 AM10/28/20
In article <qsfupg$r16$1...@news.albasani.net>, bri...@blueyonder.co.uk writes:
>So if Windows 7 is being pensioned off, how come I've just been offered Edge
>for windows 7?

It's meant for Windows 10, 8 and 7, which is why it works on your Windows 7
installation. But honestly, there's no good reason to stick with Windows 7 at
this point, especially since Microsoft has stopped supporting it.

> Its downloaded and installed. Obviously no real info yet, since I just
>checked that it ran and seems to run with nvda. It needs a lot of
>configuring I imagine as its wide open to every advert known to man and some
>which are not, but I imagine this can be sorted. It is very fast by the look
>of it, but has bing by default which I find irksome.

>Brian, You can change Bing to Google, Wikipedia, Yahoo, Excite, anything you
like.
Orlando

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Oct 28, 2020, 12:50:30 AM10/28/20
In article <qtnir6$ua5$1...@news.albasani.net>, bri...@blueyonder.co.uk writes:
>I see accessibility in the version around 79 got broken either by the Chrome
>code or by Microsoft. The later betas seem better, so I hope they only
>launch the later version as the full version not the broken ones.
I'm using the latest Edge build on Windows 10 and have found no broken
accessibility. What specifically have you encountered?

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Oct 28, 2020, 11:35:43 AM10/28/20
On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 at 00:44:01, Orlando Enrique Fiol
<of...@verizon.net> wrote:
>In article <qsfupg$r16$1...@news.albasani.net>, bri...@blueyonder.co.uk writes:
>>So if Windows 7 is being pensioned off, how come I've just been offered Edge
>>for windows 7?
>
>It's meant for Windows 10, 8 and 7, which is why it works on your Windows 7
>installation.

Edge initially came with 10 only. I think its original code - or some of
it - was based on Internet Explorer (certainly its logo was a big blue
lowercase e, same as IE's one but with a slot in it). Then - I don't
know why - they tweaked it so it was available on 7; I think that was
after the end of 7 support. A later revision changed it to use a lot of
Chrome's code - it even took a lot of the Chrome add-ons I had. (The
icon is now a blue-green swirl - not sure if that happened with the
switch to Chrome code.) The Chrome version still works on 7.

> But honestly, there's no good reason to stick with Windows 7 at
>this point, especially since Microsoft has stopped supporting it.

The change to a different user interface needs a good reason to adopt -
more so for vis folk, in some respects; if 7 still works for you (it
does for me, a sighted person) there's no necessity to change, unless
you're paranoid. Though it is to be accepted that more and more will
cease to work - mainly meaning websites; any software that is already
working will _not_ cease to work.
[]

Radio 4 is one of the reasons being British is good. It's not a subset of
Britain - it's almost as if Britain is a subset of Radio 4. - Stephen Fry, in
Radio Times, 7-13 June, 2003.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Oct 28, 2020, 11:38:40 AM10/28/20
That's the Chrome code. In 7 and 10, both Chrome and Edge do not have
conventional menu and title bars (at least to a sighted person); their
decision to override the standard Windows way of doing things is
particularly irritating as the title bar _can_ be seen whenever Chrome
is malfunctioning (such as "not responding"), or during the animation
when it's being minimised or restored, so you know it's there, but
hidden in normal operation.