blind accessibility on Kurzweil PC3X and Roland RD-w000 keyboards

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Oct 31, 2017, 10:40:07 PM10/31/17

Hello all. I'm a totally blind keyboardist recently relocated from
Philadelphia
to Charlotte. In a perhaps misguided effort to upgrade my 17-year-old Kurzweil
PC2X, I wanted the newly released PC3K or Forte, but settled for a great deal
on a used PC3X, fully loaded with all expansion boards. Although I hoped the
button layout and architecture would be similar to the PC2, the PC3X abounds in
looping cursors, rows of favorites buttons and nested menus for every editing
function. There is, however, a third party Windows editor for the Kurzweil that
I've installed and hope to test with the keyboard soon.
Since the PC3's pianos are the same old Kurzweil series, I'm very interested in
the Roland RD-2000's modeled pianos, mostly because of the tone shaping
functions: hammer noise, string resonance, duplex scale, damper resonance, lid,
etc., plus tuning and voicing for each individual key. That, along with
unlimited polyphony, is a huge game changer. However, I do not wish to compound
my accessibility disappointment by getting stuck with yet another
un-customizable keyboard.
If anyone owns either of these keyboards and has done extensive sound
customization, please email me. I'd love a guided tour in front of the
keyboards.
Many thanks,

Orlando Enrique Fiol
Ph.D. Candidate in Music Theory