Is this group now deaded?

Brian-Gaff

Mar 30, 2017, 12:40:17 PM3/30/17
testing
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)

Chris Brannon

Mar 30, 2017, 3:36:44 PM3/30/17
"Brian-Gaff" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> testing
> Brian

Not dead, but there haven't been any posts in a while.

-- Chris

Brian-Gaff

Apr 14, 2017, 5:30:06 AM4/14/17
Hmm, well maybe somebody, considering all this talk of censorship of the
web, should try to put the news about these groups about a bit more then.
"Chris Brannon" <ch...@the-brannons.invalid> wrote in message

Chris Brannon

May 9, 2017, 1:50:51 AM5/9/17
"Brian-Gaff" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> Hmm, well maybe somebody, considering all this talk of censorship of the
> web, should try to put the news about these groups about a bit more then.

Well, a lot of ISPs in the US stopped providing Usenet access circa 2008/2009.
I don't know what the international situation is like. Maybe it is similar?
That's what killed this group, IMHO.
So now, a lot of people who would want Usenet only have a couple
options.
1. Sign up with one of the pay-to-play Usenet providers. There are
quite a few. The main reason people sign up with pay-to-play providers
is to read binary groups. Sad. Usenet is a very poor means of
distributing binaries.
2. Sign up with one of the free text-only servers. There aren't many.
The ones I know of are Mozarella, Eternal September, and Albasani.
Last time I checked, Eternal September required a captcha.
I use Albasani.
None of these is all that widely known.
Contrast this with the old days, where most ISPs provided an NNTP
server, and all you needed to get onto Usenet was a client. Those were
good days. Too bad they probably won't come back.

Usenet was never censored, but a combination of external factors have
been gradually choking the life out of it for years.
I'd love to see a resurgence of text-mode discussion groups, though.

-- Chris

Brian Gaff

May 30, 2019, 12:07:36 PM5/30/19
Maybe we can hi jack it for off list nvda discussions then, put the word
out....

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jun 2, 2019, 11:52:10 AM6/2/19
In message <qcov47$fom$1...@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
<bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>Maybe we can hi jack it for off list nvda discussions then, put the word
>out....
>
>Brian

NVDA wouldn't be off-topic, would it?

Have the courage to be ordinary - people make themselves so desperately unhappy
trying to be clever and totally original. (Robbie Coltrane, RT 8-14 Nov. 1997.)