Simon Widlake: 27th July 1966 - 4th March 2003

Andrew Lee

Apr 1, 2003, 7:12:53 AM4/1/03
To all in a.c.v. and a.c.a-v

I regret to inform you that Simon Widlake (S.CHnappers) died on the
4th of March 2003.

I have been asked by his brother to pass along this sad news to his
friends on the 'net.

To those of us that knew Simon, either personally or via mail, he was
an often controversial, and always colorful character. He had a unique
style and outlook on life, and life was always interesting around him.
He didn't suffer fools gladly, and that meant that sometimes things got
heated; but as he was often fond of saying, what's said in a.c.v. is pretty
much irrelevant. In person he was unstintingly generous, intelligent and
witty.

While we didn't always agree on everything professionally, we were always
friends personally, and in more recent times, were able to patch up many of
our professional differences.
I counted him as a friend, and I will miss him.

Many of us here knew him as S.CHnappers or S.NAPper - and most will
remember his highly individual style of posting.

If anyone would like to pass on their respects, please do so via me, and
I will pass them to his brother Martin - or contact you with his details.

If you would like to make some more formal memoriam, Martin is suggesting
to people that they donate to Cats Protection (www.cats.org.uk).
Simon loved cats, the only reason he did not have any was that he felt he
could not look after them properly (away too much). Judging by the
interest of the local cats around his place, he looked after his
neighbour's cats.

If you wish to follow up this message, or post privately to me, please
remember to respect the feelings of Simon's family and friends.

thank you

--
Andrew Lee | gla...@gladius.f9.org.uk \PGP:DC84 FD28 DA8A E38A A9DD|
AVIEN Founding Member |http://avien.org \ID:18A9 AFAD 5422 43F1 4C81|

nicky

Apr 1, 2003, 7:32:26 AM4/1/03

"Andrew Lee" <gla...@gladius.f9.co.uk> wrote in message

> To all in a.c.v. and a.c.a-v
>
> I regret to inform you that Simon Widlake (S.CHnappers) died on the
> 4th of March 2003.
>
> I have been asked by his brother to pass along this sad news to his
> friends on the 'net.
>
> If you wish to follow up this message, or post privately to me, please
> remember to respect the feelings of Simon's family and friends.
>
> thank you

What incredibly sad news, Simon will be much missed. My thoughts and
condolences go to his family and close friends.

Nicky

Owl

Apr 1, 2003, 8:15:37 AM4/1/03
On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 12:12:53 +0000, Andrew Lee wrote:

> To all in a.c.v. and a.c.a-v
>
> I regret to inform you that Simon Widlake (S.CHnappers) died on the
> 4th of March 2003.

Some were mean to him. For what purpose? Now, he's gone and we can't
say sorry.

Art Kopp

Apr 1, 2003, 8:57:27 AM4/1/03
On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 12:12:53 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Lee
<gla...@gladius.f9.co.uk> wrote:

>To all in a.c.v. and a.c.a-v
>
>I regret to inform you that Simon Widlake (S.CHnappers) died on the
>4th of March 2003.

We are all one. Separateness is a illusion. So do not ask for whom the
bell tolls. It tolls for thee.

Art
http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg
art...@claymania.com

James Egan

Apr 1, 2003, 10:07:14 AM4/1/03
<gla...@gladius.f9.co.uk> wrote:

>I regret to inform you that Simon Widlake (S.CHnappers) died on the
>4th of March 2003.

Did he ever release his usenet encryption algorithm?

Jim.

Clay

Apr 1, 2003, 10:11:16 AM4/1/03
<gla...@gladius.f9.co.uk> wrote:

>To all in a.c.v. and a.c.a-v
>
>I regret to inform you that Simon Widlake (S.CHnappers) died on the
>4th of March 2003.

Very sad news. I considered Simon a friend and will greatly miss him.

"Viruses infect, worms infest" - Simon Widlake / Viruses Revealed

Deepest condolences to Simon's family and friends.

--
Clay

Lee Higdon

Apr 1, 2003, 12:45:45 PM4/1/03

"Andrew Lee" <gla...@gladius.f9.co.uk> wrote in message
> To all in a.c.v. and a.c.a-v
>
> I regret to inform you that Simon Widlake (S.CHnappers) died on the
> 4th of March 2003.

It's always very unsettling to find someone you knew, if even only casually
via the internet, has passed on.
Simon definitely was one of a kind. But, like all "others", his mortality
makes all of us aware of our own.
May his soul find its proper resting place amongst the forgiven. Please pass
my sympathy along to those who knew him best, his family.

Lee Higdon

Robert de Brus

Apr 1, 2003, 4:08:20 PM4/1/03
Andrew Lee wrote:
> To all in a.c.v. and a.c.a-v
>
> I regret to inform you that Simon Widlake (S.CHnappers) died on the
> 4th of March 2003.

And just how the fuck did he do that?

---
Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.

owl

Apr 1, 2003, 6:44:44 PM4/1/03
Andrew Lee <gla...@gladius.f9.co.uk> wrote in

> To all in a.c.v. and a.c.a-v
>
> I regret to inform you that Simon Widlake (S.CHnappers) died on the
> 4th of March 2003.

I thought Simon was a nice guy. He was an individual. You know how rare
that is? That's got to be one of the top wonderful qualities a person can
have --- to be who you are. 90%+ of us aren't. It's just too hard.

He was never mean to me. And I am really eccentric, weird, whatever the word
of the month is to the ‘normals'.

Thanks, Simon. Maybe I'll find you at a threshold some day.

From John O'Donohue, Celtic mystic and poet:

"When the canvas frays
in the curach of thought
and a stain of ocean
blackens beneath you,
may there come across the waters
a path of yellow moonlight
to bring you safely home."

May there, Simon, come a path of yellow moonlight to bring you safely home.

miner.-

Apr 2, 2003, 3:04:30 PM4/2/03

"Andrew Lee" <gla...@gladius.f9.co.uk> wrote in message

> To all in a.c.v. and a.c.a-v
>
> I regret to inform you that Simon Widlake (S.CHnappers) died on the
> 4th of March 2003.

deepest condolences

miner.-

kurt wismer

Apr 2, 2003, 11:43:51 PM4/2/03
Andrew Lee wrote:
> To all in a.c.v. and a.c.a-v
>
> I regret to inform you that Simon Widlake (S.CHnappers) died on the
> 4th of March 2003.

darn... that means i'll never get a chance to try replying to him in
phonetic newfie...

> I have been asked by his brother to pass along this sad news to his
> friends on the 'net.

dunno if you've already done it or not but you might want to forward
this on to bpb aswell... he's not a regular here anymore, but he spoke
fondly of simon...

--
"when surveys of all the world's countries are done,
canada frequently rates number one.

cquirke

Apr 3, 2003, 10:45:30 AM4/3/03
<gla...@gladius.f9.co.uk> wrote:

>To all in a.c.v. and a.c.a-v

>I regret to inform you that Simon Widlake (S.CHnappers) died on the
>4th of March 2003. I have been asked by his brother to pass
>along this sad news to his friends on the 'net.

Thank you for doing that - I'll miss his posts and his sense of
humour. Please pass on my condolences to those who knew him better

>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Our senses are our UI to reality
>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

AGeil

Apr 3, 2003, 12:50:59 PM4/3/03
that is kind of rude thing to post here.I think that you should not put
posts like that******the person is no longer living.so I think that you
should apologize to the group for your posting that was in extremely POOR
taste,under the circumstances
Robert de Brus <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message

> Andrew Lee wrote:
> > To all in a.c.v. and a.c.a-v
> >
> > I regret to inform you that Simon Widlake (S.CHnappers) died on the
> > 4th of March 2003.
>
> And just how the fuck did he do that?<-------*****

FromTheRafters

Apr 3, 2003, 3:55:26 PM4/3/03

"Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message news:G8nia.824$e8.4...@nasal.pacific.net.au...
> Andrew Lee wrote:
> > To all in a.c.v. and a.c.a-v
> >
> > I regret to inform you that Simon Widlake (S.CHnappers) died on the
> > 4th of March 2003.
>
> And just how the fuck did he do that?

...he did it far too young, but I bet he did it as well
or even better than most.

R.I.P. Simon, sorry to see you go so soon... :o(

FromTheRafters

Robert de Brus

Apr 3, 2003, 4:40:51 PM4/3/03
AGeil wrote:
> that is kind of rude thing to post here.I think that you should not
> put posts like that******the person is no longer living.so I think
> that you should apologize to the group for your posting that was in
> extremely POOR taste,under the circumstances

Yes, well I do apologise sincerely. Looking at the dates I thought it was an
April Fools joke. It was posted on the 1st, but I didn't register that the
date mentioned it was March rather than April.

I do apologise

Andrew Lee

Apr 4, 2003, 4:12:31 AM4/4/03
kurt wismer <ku...@sympatico.ca> a écrit:

> Andrew Lee wrote:
>> To all in a.c.v. and a.c.a-v
>>
>> I regret to inform you that Simon Widlake (S.CHnappers) died on the
>> 4th of March 2003.
>
> darn... that means i'll never get a chance to try replying to him in
> phonetic newfie...

:-)
He'd have liked that

>> I have been asked by his brother to pass along this sad news to his
>> friends on the 'net.
>
> dunno if you've already done it or not but you might want to forward
> this on to bpb aswell... he's not a regular here anymore, but he spoke
> fondly of simon...

Bruce is aware of the situation.

regards

-AJ

Andrew Lee

Apr 4, 2003, 4:16:08 AM4/4/03
"Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> a écrit:

> AGeil wrote:
>> that is kind of rude thing to post here.I think that you should not
>> put posts like that******the person is no longer living.so I think
>> that you should apologize to the group for your posting that was in
>> extremely POOR taste,under the circumstances
>
> Yes, well I do apologise sincerely. Looking at the dates I thought it
> was an April Fools joke. It was posted on the 1st, but I didn't
> register that the date mentioned it was March rather than April.

I did try to make sure that it was clear - via the date in the subject, and
in the actual message - which incidentally, your reply was written directly
beneath - that it was not an April Fool, it was certainly a concern
that people may think that.

> I do apologise

Thank you.

Robert de Brus

Apr 4, 2003, 4:41:51 AM4/4/03
Andrew Lee wrote:
> "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> a écrit:
>
>> AGeil wrote:
>>> that is kind of rude thing to post here.I think that you should not
>>> put posts like that******the person is no longer living.so I think
>>> that you should apologize to the group for your posting that was in
>>> extremely POOR taste,under the circumstances
>>
>> Yes, well I do apologise sincerely. Looking at the dates I thought it
>> was an April Fools joke. It was posted on the 1st, but I didn't
>> register that the date mentioned it was March rather than April.
>
> I did try to make sure that it was clear - via the date in the
> subject, and in the actual message - which incidentally, your reply
> was written directly beneath - that it was not an April Fool, it was
> certainly a concern
> that people may think that.

It was a mental block on my part. I read the subject line and saw 4th March
2003, thinking it was 3 days after the post on the 1st.

Once again, I apologise.

>> I do apologise
>
> Thank you.

AvengerŠ

Apr 5, 2003, 5:54:36 PM4/5/03
Goodnight and God Bless!!

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 12:12:53 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Lee

jojokintel

Mar 19, 2023, 6:20:40 PM3/19/23
Wow I think you have read some Schopenhauer! Not many people would know that...seperateness is an illusion. I believe it. Unfortunately, most people are totally ignorant of that.