Uh-oh! Zipped a virus

vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com

Jul 24, 2020, 4:23:03 AM7/24/20
I zipped a virus off a mini-CD. Did I infect anything?

Long version: Seven year old USB camera, never, used, want to run in on
diskless laptop. Zip driver mini-CD. Several zip programs resisted, but it
may have been about zipping the netire disk or all the directories. So while
it was zipping, decided to check for virus. And it found Sality virus in the
setup.exe. Deleted everything. Even recycle bin. Now, the files had CHinese
characters, so maybe they triggered something. Am assuming if I never ran the
program, the virus stayed contained???? I ran local virus check (and
amusingly found unrelated twenty year old suspected viruses or false
positives in DWG/CAD converter and Perl Portable apps.) Will run antivirus on
all my zip programs.

--

Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com

Jul 24, 2020, 4:29:39 AM7/24/20
I don't use this computer with broadband.

I found the Sality wiki which says it becomes a bot.

Still, I never ran it.

I feel really nauseous.

Nomen Nescio

Dec 6, 2020, 8:02:52 PM12/6/20
vjp...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com writes:

> Am assuming if I never ran the
> program, the virus stayed contained????

In most cases that's correct. However, back in the old days (like, late
90s) setup.exe was usually started automatically. I'm not sure if that's
still the case, didn't use Windows for many, many years.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sality>