avast free mail signature

badgolferman

Jan 10, 2014, 1:59:08 PM1/10/14
I have the latest Avast Free version installed and it has the Mail
Shield activated. Normally I disable the Mail Shield, but when doing
so it makes the System Tray icon complain about not being fully
protected. The problem is the program is appending an Avast signature
at the end of my outgoing mail and I don't want that. I haven't found
a way to turn it off though.

Does anyone know how to either disable the Mail Shield without dire
warnings or disable the Avast signature line?

Nicodemus

Jan 10, 2014, 2:09:24 PM1/10/14
"badgolferman" <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote in
it is a German thing, much like the american nsa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVctxM_zgzI

Here on planet earth every human is suspicious

---

Rich Webb

Jan 10, 2014, 2:12:30 PM1/10/14
Assuming the free version is setup the same way: go to
Settings | Active Protection | Mail Shield | Behavior
then uncheck "Insert note into clean message (outgoing)"

s|b

Jan 10, 2014, 2:34:45 PM1/10/14
On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 18:59:08 +0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:

> Does anyone know how to either disable the Mail Shield without dire
> warnings or disable the Avast signature line?

Install and uncheck Mail Shield; you don't need it.

--
s|b

VanguardLH

Jan 10, 2014, 2:36:38 PM1/10/14
badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> on 10/01/2014 wrote:

> I have the latest Avast Free version installed and it has the Mail
> Shield activated.

You chose to include the Mail Shield during the install.

> Normally I disable the Mail Shield, but when doing
> so it makes the System Tray icon complain about not being fully
> protected.

Because you chose to install a module and then disable it so all of what
got installed is not all enabled.

> The problem is the program is appending an Avast signature
> at the end of my outgoing mail and I don't want that. I haven't found
> a way to turn it off though.

Go into the Mail Shield module and change its settings. I didn't bother
installing the superfluous module but my guess is you go to Settings ->
Active Protection -> Mail Shield and click on the Settings gear icon.

> Does anyone know how to either disable the Mail Shield without dire
> warnings or disable the Avast signature line?

Why are you installing a module that you then keep disabled? Uninstall
Avast and then do a *custom* install and choose NOT to include the
superfluous Mail Shield module. It affords no additional protection.

If you have already customized the settings in Avast, export its
settings before uninstalling and reinstalling. Then you can import
those settings to get back to where you were before (without the Mail
Shield which obviously you don't use or need).

Daniele

Jan 10, 2014, 3:43:25 PM1/10/14
On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 18:59:08 +0000 (UTC)
I am currently running avast with mail shield enabled but no signature
is being appended to my messages.
In the same windows where you can enable/disable the mail shiend component
(Settings) you can find an icon that looks like a gear( it is located
just left of the on/off switch). By clicking the gear icon you access
the "Mail shield settings".
Chose the tab "behaviour" and uncheck the box that adds the signature.
Hope this helps.
--
Daniele

badgolferman

Jan 10, 2014, 4:06:30 PM1/10/14
Okay, thanks to some helpful people I have turned off the signature,
yet an attachment named winmail.dat is still being appended to the
outgoing message. I looked at it a text editor but there's no
identifying features tying it to Avast. I did not have this issue
until Avast upgraded. Using Outlook 2007.

s|b

Jan 10, 2014, 4:58:29 PM1/10/14

<http://lmgtfy.com/?q=winmail.dat+outlook>

--
s|b

Rod

Jan 10, 2014, 6:21:41 PM1/10/14
On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 18:59:08 +0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:

Go to the mail shield (settings/Active protection) and click on gear and
disable all 3 check boxes.

VanguardLH

Jan 10, 2014, 6:42:10 PM1/10/14
badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> on 10/01/2014 wrote:

> an attachment named winmail.dat is still being appended to the
> outgoing message. Using Outlook 2007.

You are sending e-mail using Microsoft's proprietary RTF format that
only other users of Outlook can read. Don't use RTF. Instead use plain
text or HTML to compose your new or reply e-mails.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278061

RTF should *only* be used within senders and recipients within the same
organization, like within a company. Yet even then it results in
problems distributing those e-mails to other organizations. RTF should
only be used by employees using the same Exchange server at their
company.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/change-the-message-format-to-html-rich-text-or-plain-text-HP001232996.aspx

Note that RTF (Rich-Text Formatting) is a term that also applies to HTML
formatted documents. HTML is also a rich-text format. However, with
Microsoft, they have their own RTF structure that is more accurately
called TNEF (Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format). Read:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241538

mark lewis

Jan 10, 2014, 1:16:33 PM1/10/14
+ User FidoNet address: 1:3634/12
On Fri, 10 Jan 2014, badgolferman wrote to All:

b> From: "badgolferman" <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com>

b> Does anyone know how to either disable the Mail Shield without dire
b> warnings or disable the Avast signature line?

it is/was in the settings of the mail shield... find the mail shield screen and
click on the configure icon (gear?) in the upper right corner... then look at
the individual settings options available... there are/were several screens
available from the vertical tabs on the left...

)\/(ark
+ The FidoNet News Gate (Huntsville, AL - USA) +
+ The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +
+ All data is scanned for malware by Avast! Antivirus +

badgolferman

Jan 10, 2014, 9:45:04 PM1/10/14
VanguardLH wrote:

>badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> on 10/01/2014 wrote:
>
>> an attachment named winmail.dat is still being appended to the
>> outgoing message. Using Outlook 2007.
>
>You are sending e-mail using Microsoft's proprietary RTF format that
>only other users of Outlook can read. Don't use RTF. Instead use
>plain text or HTML to compose your new or reply e-mails.
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278061
>
>RTF should only be used within senders and recipients within the same
>organization, like within a company. Yet even then it results in
>problems distributing those e-mails to other organizations. RTF
>should only be used by employees using the same Exchange server at
>their company.
>
>http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/change-the-message-format-to-html-rich-text-or-plain-text-HP001232996.aspx
>
>Note that RTF (Rich-Text Formatting) is a term that also applies to
>HTML formatted documents. HTML is also a rich-text format. However,
>with Microsoft, they have their own RTF structure that is more
>accurately called TNEF (Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format).
>Read:
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241538

I am using HTML to compose. This did not happen in the past.

badgolferman

Jan 10, 2014, 9:50:20 PM1/10/14

badgolferman

Jan 10, 2014, 9:52:23 PM1/10/14

VanguardLH

Jan 11, 2014, 1:05:22 AM1/11/14
badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> on 10/01/2014 wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> on 10/01/2014 wrote:
>>
>>> an attachment named winmail.dat is still being appended to the
>>> outgoing message. Using Outlook 2007.
>>
>> You are sending e-mail using Microsoft's proprietary RTF format
>
> I am using HTML to compose. This did not happen in the past.

Do you still get winmail.dat attachments if you start Outlook in its
safe mode (so none of its add-ons get loaded)?

From your pics in your reply to sb, you show the global settings to
configure Outlook 2007 to use HTML (and not RTF). OL2007 lets you
specify the doc format in a contact. The Office KB article to which I
gave a link tells how to specify the format used when sending to a
recipient. Could be the contact-specific settings override the global
settings; else, there would be no point in having contact-specific
settings if the global ones were always used. In that KB article, read
the section titled "Change the message format for all messages sent to a
specified Internet recipient".