The Forbidden Kiss

Daniel Thomas Andrew Daly

Apr 23, 2015, 6:07:32 PM4/23/15
The Forbidden Kiss
http://noahidebooks.angelfire.com

Marni was a pleasant girl. Raised on hope, taught to love, to care, to sacrifice. Marni was a pleasant girl. Satan was not a pleasant boy.

Still, that was Satan, part of his nature, supposedly, and that could not really be helped. Sure, he had long ago changed away from being the prince of darkness to a more respectable figure, one given his reformed ways, allowed to reside in the heavenlies. But he had a dark edge. A hard edge. He was not particularly merciful upon people, expecting standards of behaviour which he called 'Only their righteous requirements before God'. Yes, he was judgmental, and woman tended to avoid this somewhat daunting and authoritative figure because of it.

Yet Marni didn't care. She worked in Satan's employ in a store which served fried chicken and, one afternoon, having worked at the place for over 17 million years, Satan showed up to chat with the staff. He resided elsewhere, usually, but made it a habit to get around to his businesses from time to time. And so, meeting the Lord of the Darkness, now reformed, she decided she would risk the idea which had entered her head.

'Satan!' The Saruvim angel turned to the worker who had stood up in the meeting room amongst the other staff. 'Yes, Marni, I see from your badge.'
'Yes. That's me. I'm sorry to interrupt, but I have a question. Do you have a girlfriend?'
There were a few chuckles, and the manager looked concerned, but Satan held his hand towards him to say not to worry.
'Thank you for that question, Marni. The fairer sex tends to avoid me most of the time. My dark reputation from my past.'
'I'll go out with you,' she blurted out. The others gasped and the manager made a motion towards his boss that he could have the girl removed as a trouble maker, but he just shook his head.
'Well, how old are you, Marni. I can not be dating a youngster.'
'Over 22 million. And I have been married only once. It lasted a fair while, but God told me he wasn't the one for me. So I have been waiting.'
'Mmm.' Satan looked at the room, and finished his speech. 'Well, it seems, employees, that Marni has captured your attention. I will close though by saying once more, well done. The reports for this franchise have always been good ones, and I know we have some long term workers who have put their hearts in. Rest assured the benefits you receive will not change and I thank you for the much valued work you contribute to the life of the Realm of Eternity.' He turned to the manager, who dismissed the staff, and they dispersed. But Marni remained and the manager, looking at her said 'Back to work in 5 minutes, OK Marni.' She nodded. She would be back to work on time.

When the manager had left Satan, who had been sitting at the desk at the front of the meeting room, looking over reports of this particular franchise, noticed her presence. He said nothing.

She came forward and sat down opposite him.
'So, no girlfriend Satan. Do you get lonely.'
'Sometimes,' he responded. 'I am usually busy with work. A corporation or two to run, you know.'
'I'll bet. I meant it, you know. I'll go out with you.'
For the first time he seriously considered this girl. She was indeed cute, and at 22 million not too young anymore. She should know enough about life by now.
'You want to go out with Satan?'
'Sure. Why not. Hey, your rich, aren't you, and not too bad looking.'
'Yes, I am wealthy. Yet, I assume you are taken care of in that department. Our employees never retire without a very significant payout. We make sure of that.'
'Oh, I can't complain about the work. I know I'll be here for a while yet. But marrying a man of wealth, well it cuts a long story short.'
'Digging for gold, then.'
'Only if I really like the guy.'
'And you like me, do you?'
'Yeh. You seem ok.'
He looked at her, considered her more so, her dress, her demeanour, her brutal honesty. She seemed ok, this Marni. 'Look, Marni. I don't really date women anymore. Not anymore. I have sins in my past which our heavenly father teaches require a long term of repentance. It never really works any other way, you know. No escaping your works.'
'But there is always mercy, Satan. There is always mercy.'
'Yes.' He looked at her, noticed her perfume, her femininity and turned back to her notes. Looking down at them he did not look up but said, 'Your 5 minutes are almost up.'
She stood, looked at him, and was about to return to work, when decided she may as well risk it anyway. And so, having the courage of a divine angel, she came around, quickly kissed the unsuspecting Satan on the forehead, who looked embarrassed immediately, and said, 'Remember me.' And returned to her work.

He touched his forehead briefly, looked at her as she left and smiled to himself. There went an extraordinary young lady. Naïve, perhaps. But definitely extraordinary. And he returned to his notes but, silently, at the back of his mind, made a quiet note to remember this particular maiden. To remember this delightful young 'Marni'.

The End