Is Peppermint Patty gay?

Em

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/28/98
Is Peppermint Patty gay?

SnoopyChuk

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/28/98
>Is Peppermint Patty gay?

If she is that is great because she is a great rolemodel.

But we must remember that these are just drawings and not real life therefore
it is close to impossible to know what is really behind the chacater.

I think that she is simply a tomboy. Not some pride flag carrying, Lilth Fair
Warrior, miss with me and I'll beat up kinda girl. She is basically a child
that is left to do things on her own...her parents are always gone
somewhere...she is just strong and confident.

And if she is a lesbian.....YOU GO GIRL!

chuck

Covenant

Em wrote in message <73om7b$3ag$1...@nnrp01.iafrica.com>...
>Is Peppermint Patty gay?

No.

otherwise why would she lust after Jaques in Bon Voyage Charlie Brown?

Covenant.
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands But Who Still Doesn't Believe He
Answered This Silly Question.... ; ' )

MacMaddy

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/28/98
Of course not. She likes Chuck, remember?

Dave L. Hardenbrook

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/29/98
On Sat, 28 Nov 1998 13:17:45 +0200, "Em" <E...@barf.com> wrote:
>Is Peppermint Patty gay?

Is this the person who keeps posting on alt.music.enya asking if Enya is gay?
Is this person following me around? If I go over to rec.arts.books.childrens
now is (s)he going to ask them if Jo March is gay???

-- Dave

Spunky Martin

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/29/98
Peppermint Patty is certainly not gay, as she has had a major crush on
"Chuck" Brown for many years. However, I do recall an interview with
Marcie, in which she admitted to being bisexual. Franklin, is, of
course, openly gay, as is pigpen.

Spunky M.

Brian Young

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/29/98
Since I joined this group sometime around May or June, this is the third
time someone's posted this question. So far, the overall consensus is:
No!
I agree with the overall consensus.

Brian

Tom Tuerff

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/30/98
In article <8040-366...@newsd-141.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
cats...@webtv.net (Spunky Martin) wrote:

Pigpen can't be gay. Have you ever known a gay guy who was that unkempt?
Not on this planet.

TT

vwundfov

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/2/98
In article <ttuerff-3011...@ip-22-207.phx.primenet.com>,
ttu...@primenet.com (Tom Tuerff) wrote:

I thought he moved over to South Park, anyway...

jm...@europa.com

Dec 7, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/7/98
Well, I'm glad at least that I'm not the only one who's thought about this.

I was convinced for a while that she was, but considering how much she likes
Charlie Brown, she must not be. I think the big question is: what about
Marcie?

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Dec 7, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/7/98
If you're all true fans of the Peanuts characters, you wouldn't be going
around asking if they're gay or saying they're gay. I think its insulting to
do that.

Bill Fishman

Dec 7, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/7/98
In article <366c8...@news2.uswest.net>, "Captain Jean-Luc Picard"
<bo...@slkc.uswest.net> wrote:

>If you're all true fans of the Peanuts characters, you wouldn't be going
>around asking if they're gay or saying they're gay. I think its insulting to
>do that.

Oh, I don't think so. There are plenty of gay and lesbian Peanuts fans who
would be proud and feel good if there were a gay Peanuts character. (The
way at least one fan in this group expressed delight about the existence
of Franklin, who is Black.) But, I don't think that Mr. Schulz is a
person, or of a generation, who would plan to have a character be gay.
Clearly P.Patty is a tomboy, and some tomboys turn out to be lesbians, but
I don't think Mr. Schulz thinks in these terms.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/8/98
Why don't we keep sex out of things like Peanuts? That's a private matter.

Nat Gertler

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/8/98
That's a weak argument; much of what we see in Peanuts is private
matters, and matters of romantic interest already play a heavy
part in the strip.

Ezclee4050

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/8/98
From Schulz's interview with Gary Groth in the December1997 issue of The Comics
Journal (highly recommended, BTW, if you can find it):

"Groth: He (Robert Crumb) deals very directly with the sexual impulse...Whereas
you skirt sexuality per se and deal with a much more romanticized or idealized
version of love: Charlie Brown and the red-haired girl...Peppermint Patty's
interest in Charlie Brown is oblique and touching, Lucy's unrequited love for
Schroeder, etc., but you deal directly with sexuality. Since the strip is one
of the most personal ever done and sexuality is such an important part of one's
life, I was wondering if you ever felt like you wanted to do that but couldn't
because of the newspaper strip format and the restrictions of the newspaper
audience?

Schulz: Well, in the first place, these are just little kids. That really puts
a lid on it right there."

Amen.

--------------------
Chris L.: longtime lurker, occasional poster.
"Actually, a smile makes a lousy umbrella"-Linus Van Pelt

Ezclee4050

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/8/98
Correction:

>but you deal directly with sexuality.

this should be "but you _don't_ deal directly with sexuality". I typed this
really fast and wasn't paying attention. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Meanie

Dec 14, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/14/98

Nat Gertler wrote in message <366D9A83...@gertler.com>...

>That's a weak argument; much of what we see in Peanuts is private
>matters, and matters of romantic interest already play a heavy
>part in the strip.

What are you, a pedophile? This is a comic strip about goofy kids, where
"puppy love" is normal. But the out and out display of truly sexual
feelings is NEVER touched upon. WHY?? Because their KIDS. It seemed
obvious to me...

Nat Gertler

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/15/98
Meanie wrote:

> Nat Gertler wrote in message <366D9A83...@gertler.com>...
> >That's a weak argument; much of what we see in Peanuts is private
> >matters, and matters of romantic interest already play a heavy
> >part in the strip.
>
> What are you, a pedophile?

Nope. Sure seems like a handy thing to throw at someone pointing
out the weaknesses in your statement, though.

> This is a comic strip about goofy kids, where
> "puppy love" is normal. But the out and out display of truly sexual
> feelings is NEVER touched upon. WHY?? Because their KIDS. It seemed
> obvious to me...

Who said anything about truly sexual feelings? I said "romance",
which can exist between members of the same sex just as it can
between members of differing sexes. Peanuts does touch on
private matters including romance.

kat...@my-dejanews.com

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/15/98
In article <73om7b$3ag$1...@nnrp01.iafrica.com>,

"Em" <E...@barf.com> wrote:
> Is Peppermint Patty gay?

Oh! I'm fed up with such topics!!!

But I want to ask.
Hey, if P-Patty is gay, are Snoopy and Woodstock homosexual? No way!!!

Timothy Chow

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/16/98
In article <754m7j$cg8$1...@newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com>,

Meanie <Woo...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>Nat Gertler wrote in message <366D9A83...@gertler.com>...
>>That's a weak argument; much of what we see in Peanuts is private
>>matters, and matters of romantic interest already play a heavy
>>part in the strip.
>
>What are you, a pedophile?

This is a completely uncalled-for personal attack!

>This is a comic strip about goofy kids, where
>"puppy love" is normal. But the out and out display of truly sexual
>feelings is NEVER touched upon. WHY?? Because their KIDS. It seemed
>obvious to me...

I agree with this argument (it's roughly what Schulz himself has said,
according to someone else who posted here). But Nat Gertler's assertion
(which I also agree with) was that the argument that "sex is private" is
weak. Its weakness is not affected by the possible existence of other
arguments that are stronger.
--
Tim Chow tchow-at-alum-dot-mit-dot-edu
Where a calculator like the ENIAC today is equipped with 18,000 vacuum tubes

Suns...@webtv.net

Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/24/98

Peter King

Dec 25, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/25/98

>Well, P-Patty does seem the dominate one over Marcie and is rather
>protective over her...Marcie is rather a tomboy and some do turn out
>like that (notice I didn't say all)...sure they are kids now but who
>knows what those high school years can hold?! =)
> Sheri

Marcie is YOUNGER then Peppermint Patty. That's why their relationship is
that way.

Peter King in NY

Nat Gertler

Peter King wrote:
> Marcie is YOUNGER then Peppermint Patty.

Is she? They're in the same grade at school.

Suns...@webtv.net

Dec 26, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/26/98

nos...@nospam.mit.edu

Dec 26, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/26/98
In article <3684263B...@gertler.com>,

True, and when they tried to keep PP back a grade, her ghost continued to
snore at her seat, which so freaked everyone out that they relented and
promoted her!

Relative ages mutate in Peanuts. In the early days Charlie Brown was surely
older than Linus, but they're in the same grade now. When Marcie debuted,
PP was surely older than Marcie, and those early strips set the tone for
many features of their relationship. But they're probably about the same
age now.

Nat Gertler

nos...@nospam.mit.edu wrote:

> Relative ages mutate in Peanuts. In the early days Charlie Brown was surely
> older than Linus, but they're in the same grade now.

Now it still seems ot me that Lucy is clearly the older sister,
which would mean that she is now older than CB, an outright
reversal of the original situation.

Ah, the problems of 50-year-old kids.

Peter King

Dec 27, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/27/98
Nat Gertler <n...@gertler.com> wrote:

>Peter King wrote:
>> Marcie is YOUNGER then Peppermint Patty.
>
>Is she? They're in the same grade at school.

Yes. When Marcie was introduced, Peppermint Patty was Marcie's group
leader at camp. Presumably this job would be given to an older camper.

Given Peppermint Patty's propensity for getting a D-, she may have
repeated a grade. Or, Marcie may have skipped ahead.

Of course, the Peanuts characters age at different rates, so anything is
possible! Lucy was once younger than Charlie Brown. She was still a baby
when the strip started.

Peter King in NY

Scritch

Dec 27, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/27/98

>>Peter King wrote:

>Yes. When Marcie was introduced, Peppermint Patty was Marcie's group
>leader at camp. Presumably this job would be given to an older camper.

We don't know this for sure. This character was called Clara I believe.
Marcie appeared later. It's always been interesting in the similarities
between these two. If you have a Peanuts Collector's Club newsletter, there
was a good article on the comparisons between Clara and Marcie. I don't
remember the issue number but it was printed sometime last year.

Timothy Chow

In article <ohwh2.436$He2...@ralph.vnet.net>, Scritch <ron...@vnet.net> wrote:
<>>Peter King wrote:
<
<>Yes. When Marcie was introduced, Peppermint Patty was Marcie's group
<>leader at camp. Presumably this job would be given to an older camper.
<
<We don't know this for sure. This character was called Clara I believe.
<Marcie appeared later.

Although I strongly support the position that Clara is not Marcie, it is
still true that when Marcie was introduced, Peppermint Patty was in charge
of Marcie at camp. She would tell Marcie to run down to the dispensary on
her "Ruby Keeler legs" and things like that.

JonRyusei

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/30/98

BGX...@prodigy.com (Peter King) wrote:

>Nat Gertler <n...@gertler.com> wrote:
>>
>>Peter King wrote:
>>> Marcie is YOUNGER then Peppermint Patty.
>>
>>Is she? They're in the same grade at school.
>

>Yes. When Marcie was introduced, Peppermint Patty was Marcie's group
>leader at camp. Presumably this job would be given to an older camper.
>

>Given Peppermint Patty's propensity for getting a D-, she may have
>repeated a grade. Or, Marcie may have skipped ahead.
>
>Of course, the Peanuts characters age at different rates, so anything is
>possible! Lucy was once younger than Charlie Brown. She was still a baby
>when the strip started.

I still think Charlie Brown is the oldest of the bunch. Lucy, IMHO, is
only closer to his age, from the looks of it. I kind of feel like CB when
younger students at high school try to boss me around (like Lucy does).
Otherwise, he IS the manager of the baseball team, and the more responsible one
. . . :)

John Cassidy (Daijirou Ryuusei)
Richmond, VA
JonR...@aol.com
Visit RYUUSEI PRODUCTIONS (Version 2.1) at:
http://members.aol.com/JonRyusei/index.html

"I thought I'd just stand here and watch the world go by. It never came by."

Nichael Cramer

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/31/98

JonRyusei wrote:

I still think Charlie Brown is the oldest of the bunch. Lucy, IMHO, is

> only closer to his age, from the looks of it. I kind of feel like CB when
> younger students at high school try to boss me around (like Lucy does).
> Otherwise, he IS the manager of the baseball team, and the more responsible one
> . . . :)

Needless to say, this is only true in "recent years" (i.e. the last 40 or so years
;-)

In the earliest strips, CB was notably younger than the other kids and Lucy, when
she was introduced, was notably younger than CB.

Nichael Cramer
nic...@sover.net deep autumn -- my neighbor, what does she do
http://www.sover.net/~nichael

Mark Skrbich

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM1/2/99
It has been shown that PP is dumb and Marcie is very smart. Ergo it can
be understood PP was held back or Marcie skipped a grade

Ā®Mark

"Without deviation from the norm there can be no progress"

westway...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2017, 12:17:28ā€ÆPM11/17/17
IF IT LOOKS LIKE A DUCK QWACKS LIKE A DUCK WALKS AND SWIMS LIKE A DUCK, IT'S A DUCK . PEPPERMENT PATTY IS A BIG OLD BUTCH DIKE!!!!!!!!!!!

Never Mind

Oct 19, 2022, 1:40:13ā€ÆAM10/19/22
On Saturday, November 28, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Em wrote:
> Is Peppermint Patty gay?
No she is not.. But it is sad that some people are so pathetic that they would try to destroy a family classic just to make one of the characters in it reflect their views. It is a reflection of the times. They cannot make their own great family classics so they want to destroy everyone else's.

Your Name

Oct 19, 2022, 2:16:46ā€ÆAM10/19/22
Yep. It was stupidly announced last week that Velma in Scooby Doo is gay. :-\

Your Name

Oct 19, 2022, 4:56:13ā€ÆPM10/19/22
Obvious the owners of the franchise were running around like headless
chickens screaming "We must appease the Politically Correct. Which
character can we make gay?" No doubt next month they'll also announce
that Fred is actually black and Shaggy is disabled. :-\