1st UUFFAA Discussion

peter james gallacher

May 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/2/95
First, let me say how pleased i am with the responces i've recieved
already (only one "Is this what the Internet needs: It's own awards
show?" type comment) for the 1st (?) Unofficial USENET Fan-Fic
Achievement Awards Ballot. All the other replies (20 after one day!)
have been very positive. There are some points for discussion though:

1) Michael Friedman suggested taking the rec.arts.comics.creative
catagories (LNH & Suicide Squid) out because a) i've missed out on
other RACC universes, and b) RACC already has it's own awards. I'm
inclined to agree with him...especially because of reason b). Any
comments?

This ain't the Academy Awards. : )
If you seriously think your work is better than all the others in the
appropriate catagory, go for it. If your proud of your work...show it!
ONLY ONCE THOUGH!

3) Daniel J. Sikorski suggested adding a catagory for Best MST3K
story. Sounds good to me...alas, us Canucks don't get MST3K. Weep for
us.

4) How about a Best Original Sci-Fi Story as well to cover anything i
may have missed?

5) Many people have asked for FTP sites:

Star Trek: ftp.cis.ksu.edu/pub/alt.startrek.creative/story/

Star Trek Erotica (off the FAQ): solaria.mit.edu/pub/asfs or
kamakiriad.mit.edu/pub/mirror/solaria/asfs or
toys.mit.edu/pub/mirror/solaria/asfs or
daemon.mit.edu/pub/mirror/solaria/asfs

Info on other FTP sites would be GREATLY apprieciated. Please email to
me or just tack them on to the above list.

Well, That's it. Once again mail your ballots to p...@inforamp.net.
Cutoff date is June 25th, 1995.
Results will be posted by July 1st, 1995.
later...
peter james gallacher
"My opinions are my own, NOT the Mother Corps, etc., etc.,..."
Now will the lawyers PLEASE return to a neutral corner!

Russ Allbery

May 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/4/95
peter james gallacher <p...@inforamp.net> writes:

>1) Michael Friedman suggested taking the rec.arts.comics.creative
>catagories (LNH & Suicide Squid) out because a) i've missed out on
>other RACC universes, and b) RACC already has it's own awards. I'm
>inclined to agree with him...especially because of reason b). Any
>comments?

I agree, partly because of reason (b) but mostly because fan-fiction is not
posted to RACC and is, in fact, specifically forbidden by charter (hence,
alt.comics.fan-fiction). RACC is for stories concerning original characters
and universes, and any exceptions need to be actually legally cleared with
the owners of the characters (that's happened at one point in the past).

The price of a Big Eight group. :)

>Info on other FTP sites would be GREATLY apprieciated. Please email to
>me or just tack them on to the above list.

Almost the entirety of rec.arts.comics.creative is archived at
eyrie.stanford.edu. Most of the racc groups with Web pages can be reached
through:

http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~rra/links/universes.html

--
Eagle (Russ Allbery) Windrider of Crossroads
ea...@eyrie.stanford.edu rec.arts.comics.creative archivist