META: The Gender Swap Universe

Indigo

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98
to ind...@spork.com

Alara asks the musical question:

>>So, that's what this is all about. Anyone interested?

Of *course* I'm interested, woman!

Okay -- with all due respect to your creations, I've got ideas of my own. We
can haggle if need be. I brainstormed some with Redhawk hours before yoru
post showed up anywhere.

>>THIS POST ALSO APPEARS ON THE CFAN MESSAGE BOARD and was written before I
saw the acff post, so pardon weird suppositions ... and cope with
hagglepoints<<

152.202.123.132 writes:

Glad you chose only to make it the mutants. The whole MU would've been a
*mess* -- and yes, for the reasons you cited there are just not plausible ways
to have some characters switch gender.

Well, let's see.

We could call it:
The Other Side of X
Chromosomes
How The Other Half Lives
XY

Mind you, I'm typing this at 8:21 am EDT after having had no sleep all night,
so my ideas are definitely not the most fresh and tasty at the moment.

Although, getting into this -- how much of the MU's basic history are we
keeping the same? There's a *lot* of ripple-effect fallout with regard to the
X-folks and their families/love interests/alien acquaintances.

I also want to make sure we do this *right*. Were Marvel or some other company
to try a spinoff line of their own characters, it'd get messed up. For
instance, I do *not* see Storm as a male ending up with incurable
claustrophobia (if the comics did him thus, but I'd prefer that flaw remain).
I can't put my finger on why -- but I just don't see it. I guess it isn't a
"macho" terror.

I claim (unless there are unspeakable and vociferous objections):
Romy LeBeau (in place of Gambit)codename TBA
Johnny Ray (in place of Rogue) codename remains Rogue
Wendy Worthington (in place of Warren) codename remains Angel.

Some ideas Redhawk and I came up with, for the sake of those who have a hard
time with the easy part of this concept (the names) ... I came up with them
easily 'cause I did this concept when I was 11.

My personal preference is to stick with names similar enough to the original
name to be recognizeable. But below follow my suggestions, including codenames
if I thought of 'em.

Scott Summers becomes Shana/Susan/Sharlene/Sarah/Simone Summers. Heh. Or
stephanie's good ;)

Alex Summers becomes Alexis

Adam-X (who'd now have to be the result of an affair Alexis & Sue's mother
Christine had with a Shi'Ar to protect her husband or some such thing ... if
this plotline even exists at all.)

Christopher Summers ---> Christine Summers (might stick with Corsair, but not
necessarily)

Henry P. McCoy becomes Henrietta, Harriet, Hedda, or Helen

Robert Drake becomes Roberta (which allows for the "Bobbi"), Rowena, Roxanne,
Renee

Logan ---> Lauren, Lee, Linda, Lorraine, Lexy

The Guthries are easy:
Sam ---> Samantha
Paige ---> Page

Jean Grey --> Jonathan, James, Jedidiah, Jordan, Jacob ("Jake"), Jeremiah

Ororo Munroe --> Orrin Munroe. Or, Oscar. Oswald. Octavian. Codename: Tempest
or Maelstrom

Amara Aquilla ---> Amadeus Aqilla

Well, more suggestions as they come to me. My grey matter is all worn out now.

But yeah, I'm diggin' this.
--Indigo, psyched.

The Cabbage Wielding Angel of Death

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

Indigo wrote:

> Alara asks the musical question:
>
> >>So, that's what this is all about. Anyone interested?
>
> Of *course* I'm interested, woman!

You're interested too? Okay, I claim

Kevin Killgrave, The Purple Boy
Madeline Jefferies-Boches (remember Bochs wasn't a mutant)
Jamie Madrox, (Multiple Mistress)
Dolly Carosella (Strong Girl)
Ray Sinclair (remains Wolfsbane)
.... but I can't think of anything for Siryn, or a female versions of
Warlock and Doug.

kie...@aol.com

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

I said it on the CFAN Messageboard but it seems to be the
proper thing to do to post it here too: if I'm able to
find the time for it, I'm laying dibs to Christine
Summers and the Starjammers. Yes, I know that Corsair
has shown no signs of being a mutant in the mainstream
MU...well, he's a male (soon to be female) Summers, for
crying out loud! He's GOT to be a latent or low-powered
mutant! Mainly because I'm in love with this idea, of
course. I can rationalize ANYTHING for the sake of a
good story. <G>

I understand that it's not fair to lay dibs to something
that I'm not sure I'll be able to write, so if course this
is open to change. But in the meantime, they're mine!
Mine! Minemineminemine!!! Ahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!

;)

.-=K=-.

sequoia swennes

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

I don't know about Warlock; but can I have Donna Ramsey? Please? :)
I'd like John Grey; but that would probably involve to much writing.

Sequoia

Indigo

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

In article <354E1...@erols.com>#1/1,

The Cabbage Wielding Angel of Death <wil...@erols.com> wrote:

> Indigo wrote:
> >
> > Alara asks the musical question:

> > Of *course* I'm interested, woman!
> >

> You're interested too? Okay, I claim
>
> Kevin Killgrave, The Purple Boy
> Madeline Jefferies-Boches (remember Bochs wasn't a mutant)
> Jamie Madrox, (Multiple Mistress)
> Dolly Carosella (Strong Girl)
> Ray Sinclair (remains Wolfsbane)
> .... but I can't think of anything for Siryn, or a female versions of
> Warlock and Doug.

I'm also claiming

Emmett Frost, the White Queen (yes, I know. it's evil and convoluted).

Sibyl Shaw, the Black Queen

and his little sidekick, Thomas (no, I'm not dressing him in a french maid's
outfit)

Oh, and I also am claiming Joan Starsmore (same codename)
and Jason Lee (for Jubilee, codename TBA).

Yes, I'm being ambitious, and like Kielle, I don't know if I'll have time to
write 'em all, but dammit I *want* 'em!!

Muhuhahaha...!

-Indigo (getting into the spirit of things)

Aleph Press

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

Okay. Lotsa people out there laying dibs on stuff. :-)

If you're genuinely interested, write me at al...@mindspring.com (as my
email at netcom doesn't save my replies) and I'll send a copy of
everything I've got so far. In order for anyone to get to the later stuff
(like the New Mutants, for instance) we have to figure out the stuff that
happens... already, as of the very first mission, things are a little
different, and they're likely to get moreso. (Does *any* of the Shi'ar
stuff happen if Lilandra doesn't swap, and Carolyn Xavier isn't gay?)

Three people have called dibs on some New Mutants-- Arsenal called all
the New Mutants, Jesse Willey called Ray Sinclair, and Sequoia called
Donna Ramsey. Let me try to organize this such that it doesn't get
totally out of hand. :-)

I think we can only have a relatively limited number of writers. If eight
zillion people all claim two characters, it's going to be a logistical
nightmare. Also, quite frankly, I'm going to give preference to people
whose fanfic I've seen before, and who do solid work, because the end
goal of al this is to get a fanfic universe written. So here are the
ground rules:

If you want someone, you must send me a writeup of the character. How do
you see his or her life as being different wth the gender swap? Who do
you think this character will make connections with? What arcs do you see
for the character? Since most of the later characters tie together, we
may need to get together some sort of brainstorming session (god, does
this mean I have to go get a *message board?* Argh!)

I'll be putting up a timeline on the web (in table format-- anyone who
can't read tables can write mefor a copy) for the parts I've covered.
I've been deliberately leaving the All-New and New Mutant and later casts
almost entirely alone.

For anyone who thinks they're going to get to write a gender swapped
PAD-Factor or X-Force or Gen X.... guys, get real. The universe is
starting from ground zero, with the X-Men (X-Factor's) first fight
against Magneto (Polaris.) So many things are going to be different-- I
mean, there might not be an avengers, because if I recall, Quicksilver
and the Scarlet Witch were founding members of that, and they won't be
leaving their mom anytime real soon. The later in the universe we get,
the more things will change, and change radically. So we cannot expect
that there will *be* a Gen X, or Peter David's X-Factor, or Excalibur.
All the *characters* will exist, but the teams may not.

There's a lot of stuff to hash out.. sounds like it's going to be fun!

--
Be good, servile little citizen-employee, and pay your taxes so the rich
don't have to.

Alara Rogers, Aleph Press
al...@netcom.com

All Aleph Press stories are at http://www.mindspring.com/~alara/ajer.

Adam Östergren

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

The Cabbage Wielding Angel of Death skrev i meddelandet
<354E1...@erols.com>...

>Indigo wrote:
>>
>> Alara asks the musical question:

>> Of *course* I'm interested, woman!
>>

> You're interested too? Okay, I claim
>
>Kevin Killgrave, The Purple Boy
>Madeline Jefferies-Boches (remember Bochs wasn't a mutant)
>Jamie Madrox, (Multiple Mistress)

Gives no comment, and tries to keep a straight face instead
of trying to be witty... (That would have been TOO easy)

>Dolly Carosella (Strong Girl)
>Ray Sinclair (remains Wolfsbane)
>.... but I can't think of anything for Siryn, or a female versions of
>Warlock and Doug.

Daniella Ramsey - Chypher would still be good codename.

Warlock... Perhaps Sorceress would be aproperiate.

Sarah / Marrow... Ouch does anyone really wish to
consider this ? I think we'd have a new sabretooth
on our hands...

Samy Merchi

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

Aleph Press (al...@netcom.com) typed:

> there might not be an avengers, because if I recall, Quicksilver
> and the Scarlet Witch were founding members of that, and they won't be
> leaving their mom anytime real soon.

Alara, Alara, Alara... How -could- you, you fountain of knowledge,
you?? Pietro and Wanda did not join the Avengers until Avengers #16...

- Samy Merchi 1998 sam...@utu.fi http://www.utu.fi/~samerc
"Reignfire is and has ALWAYS been Roberto Da Costa."
Roberto Da Costa aka Sunspot aka Reignfire, X-Force #43
"JFM absolves Roberto of being Reignfire, and heads'll roll."
Samy Merchi, April 18th 1998, anticipating X-Force #80

The Cabbage Wielding Angel of Death

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

Aleph Press wrote:

> The later in the universe we get, the more things will change, and
> change radically. So we cannot expect that there will *be* a Gen X, or
> Peter David's X-Factor, or Excalibur.

I'm this, at least for the a little while. (Maybe three or four
stories, unless Impar doesn't finish his Excal chapter...) Ars can keep
any of the New Mutants he needs, at least for the first story or two.
As for a team like Peter David's X-Factor, I've got three of'em reserved
when I need'em. (No one has come up with something for Quicksilver have
they? I've come up with proper replacements for characters that I one's
I can't use, like Alex and Lorna. I need someone for Siryn. Since
Jamie will be there, (and in mainline, Rahne pinch Madrox's butt,
showing some interest in him....) problem solved.

sequoia swennes

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

Aleph Press wrote:

> Okay. Lotsa people out there laying dibs on stuff. :-)
>
> If you're genuinely interested, write me at al...@mindspring.com (as my
> email at netcom doesn't save my replies) and I'll send a copy of
> everything I've got so far. In order for anyone to get to the later stuff
> (like the New Mutants, for instance) we have to figure out the stuff that
> happens... already, as of the very first mission, things are a little
> different, and they're likely to get moreso. (Does *any* of the Shi'ar
> stuff happen if Lilandra doesn't swap, and Carolyn Xavier isn't gay?)

Yay! No Lilandra! :)

> Three people have called dibs on some New Mutants-- Arsenal called all
> the New Mutants, Jesse Willey called Ray Sinclair, and Sequoia called
> Donna Ramsey. Let me try to organize this such that it doesn't get
> totally out of hand. :-)
>
> I think we can only have a relatively limited number of writers. If eight
> zillion people all claim two characters, it's going to be a logistical
> nightmare. Also, quite frankly, I'm going to give preference to people
> whose fanfic I've seen before, and who do solid work, because the end
> goal of al this is to get a fanfic universe written. So here are the
> ground rules:

May I make a suggestion? I for one would really like to participate in
this; but I don't know if I'll have the time(I'm an extremely slow
writer and would probably hold everyone up as well). I also only really
want the one character; and it would be pretty dumb to have her having
solo adventures all the time. So let's say a small group of writers
divvy up the characters, all the X-Men, all the New Mutants, all the
Menace, etc or however you want to do it. Would it be possible for
other writers(like me:)to come in later and do short stories akin to
One-Shots or Limited Series' as long as they didn't conflict with any
continuity established by the main writer of the character and were
submitted for approval first?

Sequoia

Samy Merchi

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

sequoia swennes (swe...@erols.com) typed:

> May I make a suggestion? I for one would really like to participate in
> this; but I don't know if I'll have the time(I'm an extremely slow
> writer and would probably hold everyone up as well). I also only really
> want the one character; and it would be pretty dumb to have her having
> solo adventures all the time. So let's say a small group of writers
> divvy up the characters, all the X-Men, all the New Mutants, all the
> Menace, etc or however you want to do it. Would it be possible for
> other writers(like me:)to come in later and do short stories akin to
> One-Shots or Limited Series' as long as they didn't conflict with any
> continuity established by the main writer of the character and were
> submitted for approval first?

You know, I have the same problem. I've been mostly sticking out of
this since, well, for two reasons. 1) Alternate universes get boring
to me fast and 2) I don't have the time.

Otherwise... Hey Indigo? Remember Bobbi Da Costa? >;)

Indigo

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

In article <6imvc4$8ud$1...@news.utu.fi>#1/1,

sam...@utu.fi (Samy Merchi) wrote:

> > You know, I have the same problem. I've been mostly sticking out of
> this since, well, for two reasons. 1) Alternate universes get boring
> to me fast and 2) I don't have the time.
>
> Otherwise... Hey Indigo? Remember Bobbi Da Costa? >;)

You know I do. I was waiting for you to say something, sweet. How about a
miniseries, then ;)

--Indigo (grin)

Samy Merchi

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

Indigo (ind...@plastic.spork.com) typed:
> sam...@utu.fi (Samy Merchi) wrote:

> > > You know, I have the same problem. I've been mostly sticking out of
> > this since, well, for two reasons. 1) Alternate universes get boring
> > to me fast and 2) I don't have the time.
> >
> > Otherwise... Hey Indigo? Remember Bobbi Da Costa? >;)
>
> You know I do. I was waiting for you to say something, sweet. How about a
> miniseries, then ;)

I could live with that. Or a one-shot. ;)

Aleph Press

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

Samy Merchi (sam...@utu.fi) wrote:
: Aleph Press (al...@netcom.com) typed:

: > there might not be an avengers, because if I recall, Quicksilver
: > and the Scarlet Witch were founding members of that, and they won't be
: > leaving their mom anytime real soon.

: Alara, Alara, Alara... How -could- you, you fountain of knowledge,
: you?? Pietro and Wanda did not join the Avengers until Avengers #16...

Hey, I may be a fount of *Magneto* knowledge. I never said I was an
expert on his kids. :-)

So okay, the absence of P+W does not affect the creation of the Avengers.
Which is cool by me.

Aleph Press

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

The Cabbage Wielding Angel of Death (wil...@erols.com) wrote:
: when I need'em. (No one has come up with something for Quicksilver have
: they? I've come up with proper replacements for characters that I one's
: I can't use, like Alex and Lorna. I need someone for Siryn. Since
: Jamie will be there, (and in mainline, Rahne pinch Madrox's butt,
: showing some interest in him....) problem solved.

Quicksilver's mine. One of the original Brotherhood (now Mutant Menace)
characters.

Aleph Press

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

sequoia swennes (swe...@erols.com) wrote:
: May I make a suggestion? I for one would really like to participate in

: this; but I don't know if I'll have the time(I'm an extremely slow
: writer and would probably hold everyone up as well). I also only really
: want the one character; and it would be pretty dumb to have her having
: solo adventures all the time. So let's say a small group of writers
: divvy up the characters, all the X-Men, all the New Mutants, all the
: Menace, etc or however you want to do it. Would it be possible for
: other writers(like me:)to come in later and do short stories akin to
: One-Shots or Limited Series' as long as they didn't conflict with any
: continuity established by the main writer of the character and were
: submitted for approval first?

Oh yes. For instance, while I have "created" all the original X-Men and
all of the original Brotherhood, the only characters I'm interested in
keeping long-term are Polaris, and probably Xavier and Stephanie. So at
some point, I'd want to hand off my characters to someone else.

Hmm. You know, the character creation model isn't necessarily going to
work. Perhaps what we need is for people to take team creation, and if
you just really want one character, you coordinate with the team creator,
and when the team creator gets bored and leaves someone new can come in,
and meanwhile anyone can write one-shots, fill-ins or the like if they
coordinate with the team creator. Like I've said, the fact that I created
the original X-Men does *not* mean I want to write every single story
with them in it! :-)

For instance, Sequoia, if at some point you want t take John Grey off my
hands, I'd be happy to give him to you once I've got him started. :-)
(Although, you might not like him as much... I find myself really, really
liking Stephanie, even though Scott bores me, and having little interest
in a male Kitty Pryde...)

The Cabbage Wielding Angel of Death

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

Aleph Press wrote:

> Quicksilver's mine. One of the original Brotherhood (now Mutant
> Menace) characters.

I need another arogant character to fill the empy spot. Perhaps the
Purple Boy...

The Cabbage Wielding Angel of Death

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

Samy Merchi wrote:

> You know, I have the same problem. I've been mostly sticking out of
> this since, well, for two reasons. 1) Alternate universes get boring
> to me fast and 2) I don't have the time.

Anyone interested in doing something like that, just tell me, and
I'll write them in as side notes on my team Fed-X..... Sounds more like
something Abyss would write, huh? :0)

Aleph Press

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

: Aleph Press wrote:

: > The later in the universe we get, the more things will change, and
: > change radically. So we cannot expect that there will *be* a Gen X, or
: > Peter David's X-Factor, or Excalibur.

: I'm this, at least for the a little while. (Maybe three or four
: stories, unless Impar doesn't finish his Excal chapter...) Ars can keep
: any of the New Mutants he needs, at least for the first story or two.
: As for a team like Peter David's X-Factor, I've got three of'em reserved

: when I need'em. (No one has come up with something for Quicksilver have
: they? I've come up with proper replacements for characters that I one's
: I can't use, like Alex and Lorna. I need someone for Siryn. Since
: Jamie will be there, (and in mainline, Rahne pinch Madrox's butt,
: showing some interest in him....) problem solved.

Okay, I think you didn't understand. If you want to do your own
genderswap universe with X-Factor being swapped (Fed-X? Heh. :-)), go
right ahead. But the continuity that I'm starting with UXM #1, the battle
between Polaris and X-Factor at Cape citadel, is going to end up being
very, very different than the continuity of the Marvel Universe. A lot of
things will be different. There might *be* no New Mutants. The New
Mutants came about because Xavier was infected by a Brood Queen, which
happened because he was the consort of Lilandra. Lilandra *isn't a
mutant, so she doesn't swap.* *Most* of the Shi'ar plotlines will be
radically different if Lilandra is an ally and a friend but not Xavier's
lover. So the New Mutants may not happen. Xavier may not end up having to
go into space at all. The assorted plotlines and pathways that led to the
creation of a government-approved mutant team may not occur. (Though
damn, I love the idea of Mystique creating Freedom Force and going after
a reformed Polaris, given the revision to their past history that now
exists...)

So it isn't at all certain that there will *be* an X-Factor. Or a New
Mutants (though that's an obvious enough idea that Carolyn may get it,
Brood Queen or no.)

If you think the idea is cool and you want to run with it for your own
ideas, go right ahead. I'm trying to create a shared universe; I don't
own the idea of gender-swapping (in fact, it was Lazy Line Painter Al who
first presented the idea to me; I'd swapped individuals before, but never
whole teams.) So I can't prevent you from creating your own universe, but
I feel that if everyone goes and creates their own universe, there's
tremendous potential for synergy lost. I really love the idea of shared
universes, and I would really like to work together with a bunch of
people on creating one here. But we have to start more from the ground
up; I don't want to wave my hand and say by fiat, "this is the entire
continuity of the universe", but heck, we at *least* need someone to
create the All-New All-Different cast and work out its storylines before
we can get to the New Mutants, or later X-Factor.

I'm not saying X-Factor can't happen, just that it might be very
different. Sandy and Lorne are originals, and may not end up having the
same things happen to them that led them to join X-Factor (for one thing,
I am very interested in Lorne as a character, given what *his*, as
opposed to Lorna's, backstory is,, and I don't plan to let him get
bounced around from plotline to plotline whenever anyone needs a
catspaw). Quicksilver is an original and almost certainly won't be
available for X-Factor; it's going to be a long long time before
Quicksilver quits being a villain! If the New Mutants don't exist, Ray
Sinclair is Moira McTaggert's son and may never have gotten into the
swing of X-life (which isn't necessarily an exclusion, since neither had
the original Madrox before joining PAD-Factor), so is likely to have had
very different life experiences. And so on.You can't just jump in after
years of the comic book universe having gone in a completely different
direction and force things to fit the way they went in the canon universe.

Now, if you or anyone else wants to help set up the plotlines *such* that
we can ensure that a swapped PAD-Factor, or a swapped New Mutants, or
anything else we want to create, gets created, I could use the help. But
if you just want to jump and and swap some folks without any thought as
to the rest of the universe's continuity, I think you want to go your own
way, and do your own genderswap universe, without being a part of this
one or its continuity. So you'd have to do some re-inventing the wheel.

I don't want to sound like I'm arrogantly laying claim to the idea, but I
*did* lay claim to the idea of a shared universe (Indigo also had the
same idea, and I've been brainstorming character names and stuff with her
a lot, so I consider her more or less a co-creator), and that's the idea
that really appeals to me. I don't have the time or energy to write every
single character in the Marvel Unverse. I *probably* only have the time
to write a few stories. :-) So I want to work with other people to create
a universe where we can all borrow each other's characters, and work
together on shared history. But that means that people have to actually
come in and work on history, not just step into the timeline near the
present day and assume it hasn't changed any.

Samy Merchi

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

The Cabbage Wielding Angel of Death (wil...@erols.com) typed:
> Aleph Press wrote:

Jeanne-Pauline Beaubier? ;)
Bobbi Da Costa?
Shiko Yashida?
Feran? ;)

Samy Merchi

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

Aleph Press (al...@netcom.com) typed:

> heck, we at *least* need someone to
> create the All-New All-Different cast and work out its storylines before
> we can get to the New Mutants, or later X-Factor.

Why? What dictates that the All-New cast would have to appear before
the New Mutants? This is an all-new history, isn't it?

Aleph Press

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

Samy Merchi (sam...@utu.fi) wrote:
: Aleph Press (al...@netcom.com) typed:
: > heck, we at *least* need someone to

: > create the All-New All-Different cast and work out its storylines before
: > we can get to the New Mutants, or later X-Factor.

: Why? What dictates that the All-New cast would have to appear before

: the New Mutants? This is an all-new history, isn't it?

If All-New doesn't happen, or doesn't happen first, we need to work that
out too. My point is that the possibilities are *too* broad to say, "yes,
it's going to happen just the way it happened in the comics," so you're
right, it could happen the other way. If X-Factor never meets up with
Krakoa, there would *be* no All-New cast.

The reason I lean toward doing it the other way-- that is, there is an
All-New cast, pretty much on schedule-- is, firstly, people have
expressed interest in Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, etc. Kind of hard
to bring them in if there's no All-New. :-) The other reason is that
meeting up with Krakoa was totally random. A new mutant turned up, they
went to investigate, it turned out to be the island and it ate them. It's
so unrelated to anything that came before it that none of the things that
affect the changing continuity of the new universe are likely to have an
impact on it. Unless I say "it never happened"-- which I'm willing to do;
Lucifer and the Z'noxx never happened-- then it happens, because nothing
that happened previous to it would be likely to affect it happening or not.

However, this is not editorial fiat-- I really *don't* want to be
responsible for creating the universe past a certain point-- so I could
be convinced, if people thought it would make a better story that way.

(BTW, I very, very much do want to get the New Mutants in there. They
came into conflict with the Hellfire Club regardless of whether Xavier
was possessed by a Brood or not, and while this would be pending with
Indigo, who glommed onto Emmett Frost, I assume that Frost is still
involved with recruiting mutant children and the Club are still enemies
of the X-Men. So Xavier might well have decided to re-open the school
even *without* Brood Queen possession. So you needn't fear that Bobbi
DaCosta will never turn up. She will. :-))

Samy Merchi

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

Aleph Press (al...@netcom.com) typed:
> Samy Merchi (sam...@utu.fi) wrote:

> : Why? What dictates that the All-New cast would have to appear before
> : the New Mutants? This is an all-new history, isn't it?
>
> If All-New doesn't happen, or doesn't happen first, we need to work that
> out too. My point is that the possibilities are *too* broad to say, "yes,
> it's going to happen just the way it happened in the comics," so you're
> right, it could happen the other way. If X-Factor never meets up with
> Krakoa, there would *be* no All-New cast.

Well, not the way -we- got to know them. Which does not preclude the
All-New cast being brought together in a different way.

> The reason I lean toward doing it the other way-- that is, there is an
> All-New cast, pretty much on schedule-- is, firstly, people have
> expressed interest in Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, etc. Kind of hard
> to bring them in if there's no All-New. :-)

Not really. You brought Mystique, Destiny and Rogue in without their
team, no?

> The other reason is that
> meeting up with Krakoa was totally random. A new mutant turned up, they
> went to investigate, it turned out to be the island and it ate them. It's
> so unrelated to anything that came before it that none of the things that
> affect the changing continuity of the new universe are likely to have an
> impact on it. Unless I say "it never happened"-- which I'm willing to do;
> Lucifer and the Z'noxx never happened-- then it happens, because nothing
> that happened previous to it would be likely to affect it happening or not.

That provides an easy way to bring in the All-New cast the same way,
yes. The question isn't whether there -is- an easy way to bring in the
All-New cast in a same way though. It's whether the person who creates
most of the All-New cast even -wants- to bring them in that way. Heck,
for all we know, maybe Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus and
Banshee get brought together by the Shadow Queen as a villain team, or
maybe by SHIELD as an international strike force. Unless you decree
otherwise, that is. ;)

> However, this is not editorial fiat-- I really *don't* want to be
> responsible for creating the universe past a certain point-- so I could
> be convinced, if people thought it would make a better story that way.

*nods*

> (BTW, I very, very much do want to get the New Mutants in there. They
> came into conflict with the Hellfire Club regardless of whether Xavier
> was possessed by a Brood or not, and while this would be pending with
> Indigo, who glommed onto Emmett Frost, I assume that Frost is still
> involved with recruiting mutant children and the Club are still enemies
> of the X-Men. So Xavier might well have decided to re-open the school
> even *without* Brood Queen possession. So you needn't fear that Bobbi
> DaCosta will never turn up. She will. :-))

Bah. Me, I think Emmanuel should just bring Bobbi in for training to
Emmett. The New Mutants would be cool done like a Hellions thing, with
an Alpha Flight V2-like touch of the HFC sending them out on missions
with that nifty kind of paranoid feel, being manipulated on all sides
by Daddy, Shaw and Frost...

The Great and Powerful Danny Sichel

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

> .... but I can't think of anything for Siryn,
> or female versions of Warlock and Doug.

Well, it's not as if Warlock is "male" or "female", y'know.

Duggan

May 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/10/98

On 6 May 1998 07:17:35 GMT, sam...@utu.fi (Samy Merchi) wrote:

>That provides an easy way to bring in the All-New cast the same way,
>yes. The question isn't whether there -is- an easy way to bring in the
>All-New cast in a same way though. It's whether the person who creates
>most of the All-New cast even -wants- to bring them in that way. Heck,
>for all we know, maybe Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus and
>Banshee get brought together by the Shadow Queen as a villain team, or
>maybe by SHIELD as an international strike force. Unless you decree
>otherwise, that is. ;)

If you need to figure out how to get them together, any decent DM
(Dungeon Master) ought to have a slew of ideas from the traditional
bar scene (especially appropriate for Wolverine.) to more implausible
situations as getting assigned to the same heist.