Faces of Hate Challenge

KayleeSama

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
Just posted this to OTL, but I thought the rest of y'all might
wanna get in on it, too. :)

We had a Ku Klux Klan rally in downtown Birmingham today.

Black cops stood on the line protecting the KKK demonstrators
from the crowd.

Over six hundred people of all races turned out to protest the
speakers.

What more does one need for high drama?

Here's the deal: I found out about the rally too late to go down
and add my voice to the ones protesting the sheet-wearing SOBs
who insisted on making their hate public. Still, as many of you
know, I'm an opinionated type of gal who doesn't know how to
keep my mouth shut on topics like this. So that got me thinking...

We, as writers, have an opportunity that a lot of people don't-- we
can CHANGE OPINIONS. That's the whole point of writing, innit?
To make people question what they've accepted and perhaps, just
perhaps, to alter ways of thinking.

I wanna see some stories exploring hate. In the fanfic genre, we
have the perfect setup to examine facets of bigotry, after all. Some
examples of the type of stories I'm thinking of are Kielle's TCP,
"Another Man's Shoes," where the reader is asked to take a look
at the other side of the story; Poi Lass' "With Any Weapon,"
where Bobby Drake fights back against prejudice in perhaps the
most affective way possible; and my own TCP, "Small Town Plots,"
where law and order actually *works*...if a bit unconventionally. ;)
I'd prefer for now to avoid "get the mutie!" stories. They can certainly
be done well, but there're already a lot of them out there. And hell...
I'd like to see the *mutie* get the *bigot.* ;) Or any other type of
story exploring or illustrating hate and its consequences.

If there are enough responses to this, I'll put up a page on the Itty
Bitty Archives to give a home to these stories.

Please be so kind as to put something to the effect of [Faces of
Hate] in your header so I know it's a challenge response.

Get writing! ;-)

Jaya
Itty Bitty Archives
http://members.xoom.com/JayaKay/main.htm