Unscanned and Missing Underground Comix

PX

Aug 31, 2022, 4:36:44 PM8/31/22
Most of the underground comix from the 1970s are in the Sir Real
Collection but there are some odd gaps. Yellow Dog Comix is the biggest,
especially considering the artists that drew for it, its history and its
long print run that went from 1968 to 1973 which are by far the most
important years in the history of underground comix. These were the years
that the counter culture was in its apogee and the great underground
cartoonists were all very young and at the height of their creativity.
The other incomplete series is Wimmin's Comix. There are only two scans
in the Sir Real Collection, numbers 10 and 15. There is however, a high
quality digital copy of the anthology "The Complete Wimmin's Comix" on
several Usenet groups. I've scanned a copy of #2 I had so now there are 3
issues scanned from the original comic. I've found a few missing comix in
my own collection and Wimmin's Comix #2 finishes the first round. Tales
of the Amorkins is really quite well done by Larry Todd and it isn't all
that rare so I'm suprised that it's missing from the Sir Real collection.
I was lucky to have two unscanned issues of Yellow Dog and a copy of Pure
Joy #1 which was published in LA in 1975 and probably wasn't in the same
distribution loop as the comix that came out of the Bay Area. I have a
few unscanned british undergrounds that are next in the scan queue and a
couple of other books that are not in standard comic book format will
follow those. I also found that, unlike golden age comics, 70s
undergrounds are not very expensive so I'll have another unscanned Yellow
dog coming soon in the mail and I'll look for other unscanned comix as I
become aware of them. Cheers.

--
PX=Paradox