Unscanned and Missing Underground Comix Part 2

PX

Dec 16, 2022, 2:08:27 PM12/16/22
I've managed to complete the Yellow Dog collection with a mix of scans
I've found on the web and a few of my own. I've also found a couple of
indexes of underground comix to cross reference with the Sir Real
Collection and everything I've already found that isn't in it. I've been
lucky in finding inexpensive copies of the unscanned Yellow Dogs. The
missing issues of Wimmen's Comix aren't quite as abundant in the used
comics market but I will buy any inexpensive copies of issues 1 and 3-7
that come up for sale to scan them. Issue 7 was published in 1976 and
then publication stopped until issue 8 in 1982 which is titled "The
Return of Wimmen's Comix". So only the first seven issues were published
in the golden era of undergound comix and Yellow Dog by far had the
longest print run in the late 60s, early 70s comix scene. I'm happy to
have completed the collection and made it available in one place. The
copy of issue 20 I've uploaded is watermarked and it is also on the list
of underground comix I'm looking for to scan.

The biggest gap so far that I've found in scanned comix is the British
Undergrounds. Now that I've gone over the Nasty Tales index of British
undergrounds published between 1966 and 1982, I see just how many of
these comix are unscanned. There is only one scan of Nasty Tales that
I've found, issue #2. I've done a scan of Cosmic Comics #6 but I've found
no scans of the other 5 issues. I've scanned two other British
Undergrounds published by Cozmic Comics but that's all of the unscanned
ones I have at the moment and a scan did turn up for one of them. I found
a scan of Half Assed Comics in the Sir Real collection after I posted my
scan but it's much lower DPI. I haven't found any missing issues floating
around the web. All I've found so far are some very low resolution images
of the covers on a couple of websites that cover the history of the
British undergrounds. Usenet has only given me the few scans from the UK
in the Sir Real collection. I've done better with the undergrounds from
Spain and found a complete Archive of El Vibora in a cyberlocker. The
Internet Archive has been another good source, in particular, their
Yellow Dog Archive and the Daniel Teoli Jr. collection which have filled
some gaps and provided some better scans.

--
PX=Paradox

John Hobbs

Mar 18, 2023, 12:08:06 PM3/18/23
I have paper copies of many UK undergrounds and would be willing to scan some missing issues. I see these text messages in the threads, I would love to know how to unstring(?) them. Hey, I'm 70. I just downloaded Yellow Dog from various places, all but numbers 21, 22, 23, and 25, and my search has led me here.
John

PX

Mar 18, 2023, 5:50:39 PM3/18/23
Hi

It looks like you're getting the messages from google groups. The comix
are binary files on Usenet and groups sees them as text files. To
download them, you need a Usenet account and a newsreader to download
them. There are lots of options. This Reddit thread has a list of
providers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/wiki/providerdeals/

For downloading almost any will do but not so much for uploading files.
If you get to the point of posting to usenet, a lot of providers won't
let you post without getting permission.

For the newsreader software, there are also many options and which one
works for you depends on what OS you use and what level of technical
complexity you're able to deal with. Pan is a good option for Linux and
the Windows version of it is Ok. Usenet can be a bit complicated at
first. Here are some links with some more information. Google will get
you a lot more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Usenet_newsreaders

https://www.itpro.com/infrastructure/network-internet/368191/how-to-