crash queen (and king)

marika

Mar 17, 2007, 2:08:49 PM3/17/07

My God . . .

since i can remember radio stations have changed their formats overnight
almost never with the announcement beforrehand unless it's something
really trendy that outvotes a small minority.

The more I thought about our radio stations change, the more I decided,
had they done it at a logical point, like say, come back MONDAY changed,
or something. Or do it over the weekend, when this particular station
played rock only anyway . . .

I realize the loss is the unpredictability. Everything else just bores me
unmercifully now. I found a great radio yak site . A good number of
people were ragging on it, but in comparison to what exists, it really
held up. I mean, there's this one nutcase, who apparently has a long,
long history in sports radio. But, he's got this voice you would never
have thought would have made it . .. He sounds like Marge Simpson's
sister, only worse, if you can imagine.

One day this guy might spin thru the local stations and air the audio off
soap operas at varying times, while taking calls . . . sound efx of beers
being opened . . . jokes about Prestone Cocktails (Hey, call us, who do
YOU want to give a Prestone cocktail to today!). Totally irreverent
without being obscene and as disgusting as Stern. Borderline so, though .
. . he'd call up his best friend on the air in another market and they'd
shoot the bull . . . I mean, yeah as shallow and ridiculous as it sounds,
it was so much fun, and there'd be enough guaranteed laughs, that despite
the immaturity, it was A BREAK from what passes for radio these days.
Very little was preproduced or planned. And he had a RECORD number of
remotes, and appearances. Many bars, many alleged on-air beers, and fun
the whole way. He was even able to have fun with his advertisers. He'd
make up songs about them . . .

The other daytime air guys were also similarly creative and spontaneous,
if a little more serious and would attend to current events and such. I
didn't realize how much I needed something different till it left. I had
just about walked away from all the radio I had adopted here. And now,
like a sheepish teenager who's run away from home, I have to go back. And
make myself like the old usuals.

viva la difference?? no, viva la caca de vaca!

~sorry, didn't mean to go off, but you, above all, know what I mean