Batman and GA Green Lantern

1 view

David Blocker

Jul 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/27/95
to Glenn Walker
On 25 Jul 1995, Glenn Walker wrote:

> Alan Scott retired, that's when Gotham became the dark hell of Batman's
> World... one might almost ask why Batman never confronted Scott for
> 'letting this happen to his city'....

Green Lantern was ordered in World War II to unmask by the President.
He's been out of action for several years, and during that time period
Batman came into the picture and it was a few years later the Golden Age
Heroes re-assume their mask and return to active duty. At this time
Green Lantern moved to Keystone City with The Flash and most of his
activities was either there or with The Justice Society of America.

What gets me is why in the old Green Lantern stories GL didn't have
encounters with supporting characters like Commisioner Gordon?!?!

E-Mail: blo...@ncw.net Snail Mail: David Blocker
Fido: 1:344/91 1300 N. Miller Ave., C-5, 164
Wenatchee, WA 98801

jnevins

Jul 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/27/95
David Blocker <blo...@ncw.net> writes:

>On 25 Jul 1995, Glenn Walker wrote:

>> Alan Scott retired, that's when Gotham became the dark hell of Batman's
>> World... one might almost ask why Batman never confronted Scott for
>> 'letting this happen to his city'....
>
>Green Lantern was ordered in World War II to unmask by the President.
>He's been out of action for several years, and during that time period
>Batman came into the picture and it was a few years later the Golden Age
>Heroes re-assume their mask and return to active duty. At this time
>Green Lantern moved to Keystone City with The Flash and most of his
>activities was either there or with The Justice Society of America.

>What gets me is why in the old Green Lantern stories GL didn't have
>encounters with supporting characters like Commisioner Gordon?!?!

Tell me, which Earth was this on, Earth-Goofy? Alan Scott ordered to
unmask by FDR? Out of action, during WW2, for several years?

jess

DARREN HIGH

Jul 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/28/95
In article <Pine.HPP.3.91.95072...@bing.ncw.net>, David Blocker <blo...@ncw.net> writes:
>On 25 Jul 1995, Glenn Walker wrote:
>
>> Alan Scott retired, that's when Gotham became the dark hell of Batman's
>> World... one might almost ask why Batman never confronted Scott for
>> 'letting this happen to his city'....
>
>Green Lantern was ordered in World War II to unmask by the President.
>He's been out of action for several years, and during that time period
>Batman came into the picture and it was a few years later the Golden Age
>Heroes re-assume their mask and return to active duty. At this time
>Green Lantern moved to Keystone City with The Flash and most of his
>activities was either there or with The Justice Society of America.
>
>What gets me is why in the old Green Lantern stories GL didn't have
>encounters with supporting characters like Commisioner Gordon?!?!

Batman Year One shows Gordon to be orignally from Chicago, moving to
Gotham at roughly the same time Batman first appeared.

Green Lantern worked in the 1930-40s, Batman began work in the 1980s
according to the post Zero Hour timeline. Green Lantern could have
met Batman's parents or grandparents, but since neither we're costumed
heroes, it wouldn't be that interesting of an encounter.

Secret Origins #50 did show Alan Scott encountering The Reaper in Gotham.
Even though The Reaper got the drop on Al at first, I don't understand
why Green lantern did not return and mop up the streets with the guy.

RoyDog

Jul 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/28/95
David Blocker <blo...@ncw.net> wrote:

>What gets me is why in the old Green Lantern stories GL didn't have
>encounters with supporting characters like Commisioner Gordon?!?!

Well David the reasons are very simple. The real world explanation is that
originally Alan Scott operated out of New York and Bruce Wayne operated out of
Gotham. Plus it was unheard of for supporting characters to guest in another title
(The notable exception to this rule is Superman's pal Jimmy Olsen). The DCU
explanation is that in the post-Crisis universe Jim Gordon was born and raised in
Chicago and didn't transfer to Gotham until after a personal scandal forced him from
the Chicago P.D.

jnevins

Jul 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/29/95
arro...@jyusenkyou.cs.jhu.edu (Ken Arromdee) writes:

>In article <jnevins....@bgsuvax.bgsu.edu>,

>jnevins <jne...@bgsuvax.bgsu.edu> wrote:
>>Tell me, which Earth was this on, Earth-Goofy? Alan Scott ordered to
>>unmask by FDR? Out of action, during WW2, for several years?

>Actually, he was ordered to unmask at a McCarthy-style hearing in the 1950's,
>introduced in the late 1970's as an explanation for why the JSA disbanded
>after they lost their own comic.

I was aware of that story. My incredulity was that it was FDR who
ordered him to unmask - somebody's time-scale is off here - and that the
Lantern had retired by the time World War Two started. I don't think so.

jess

Danny P. Quizon

Jul 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/29/95
DC really should do a story about the Batman/GA Green Lantern idea. As
far as I know Alan Scott never moved to Keystone City so it would be
interesting to find out about his life in Gotham from the early '50s to
the the early '80s (his GL retirement period).

If crime became so bad in Gotham City, what prevented Alan from becoming
The Green Lantern again? The Spear of Destiny? The return of the
Nazi-superhero Parsifal? The Guardians of the Universe? Too much wood?
Inquiring minds want to know!

Danny Quizon
dqu...@cello.gina.calstate.edu

Louis Epstein

Jul 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/29/95

:
: Green Lantern was ordered in World War II to unmask by the President.
: He's been out of action for several years, and during that time period
: Batman came into the picture and it was a few years later the Golden Age
: Heroes re-assume their mask and return to active duty. At this time
: Green Lantern moved to Keystone City with The Flash and most of his
: activities was either there or with The Justice Society of America.

: What gets me is why in the old Green Lantern stories GL didn't have

: encounters with supporting characters like Commisioner Gordon?!?!

Is this history from GA books,or is it re-con?

David Blocker

Jul 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/30/95
to jnevins, 7211...@compuserve.com
On 27 Jul 1995, jnevins wrote:

> Tell me, which Earth was this on, Earth-Goofy? Alan Scott ordered to
> unmask by FDR? Out of action, during WW2, for several years?

It was originally on Earth-2, but now it would comply to the current
Universe. On Earth-2 Gordon would have still been Commisioner while
Green Lantern was in operation, so I wonder why Green Lantern didn't have
any encounters with Commisioner Gordon on Earth-2, as he was operating at
the same era as The Batman of that continuity?!?

In the current continuity, James Gordon would probably have been a leuteniet
or lower during Alan Scott's early years as Green Lantern, so he wouldn't
have the encounters with Gordon as Batman does now.

My guess is that Green Lantern was ordered to unmask by FDR during WW2,
and by that time the era of Mystery Men was forgotten. Batman revived
the return of The Mystry man of Gotham City while Green Lantern was still
in retirement. Green Lantern eventually came out of retirement, but was
premarely working with the team called JUSTICE SOCIETY of AMERICA, so he
was doing more teamwork out of town missions, while Batman was primarely
patroling Gotham City and became best recognized by his peers.

This is the best way I can explain why Batman is so much better
recognized as the Guardian of Gotham. Then again perhaps Green Lantern
did most of his Gotham City work in a far different part of the city
while Batman did his gig in another district.

David Blocker

Jul 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/30/95
to jnevins, 7211...@compuserve.com

Glenn Walker typed the above, not me!

> > > Tell me, which Earth was this on, Earth-Goofy? Alan Scott ordered to
> > > unmask by FDR? Out of action, during WW2, for several years?
> >
> > It was originally on Earth-2, but now it would comply to the current
> > Universe. On Earth-2 Gordon would have still been Commisioner while
> > Green Lantern was in operation, so I wonder why Green Lantern didn't have
> > any encounters with Commisioner Gordon on Earth-2, as he was operating at
> > the same era as The Batman of that continuity?!?
>

> well...that bit about Alan Scott being forced to unmask by FDR was not in
> any pre-Zero Hour comic I've ever read, Earth-1 or Earth-2. And Alan
> Scott being inactive for several years before WW2 is just wrong. He only
> got the ring in 1939 or so, so he couldn't have been inactive for several
> years before WW2. Which comics did these bits of info come from?

He hasn't been out of action several year BEFORE WW2, he has been out of
action for several years AFTER WW2 and then he came back sometime in the 60s.

In Post Zero Hour time line he started in 1939, which I can't figure out
the relavence of this retro-active reset. Historically on Earth-Two and
pre-Zero Hour history, he got his ring in 1941.

The point in this thread is why does Gotham City recognize Batman so
well, but forgotten Green Lantern?!

My guess is that Green Lantern went out of commission by order of FDR
during WW2, and several years later Batman came into the picture and
became the in-thing, and few years later Green Lantern came out of
retirement by mainly worked with the JSA more than solo in Gotham City.

I would love to see a Batman/Green Lantern team-up in Batman: Legends of
The Dark Knight, battling possibly Block Buster & Soloman Grundy as they
cross paths on each others turf of Gotham City.

There was a rumor that Sentinal will be tried out in his own mini-series.
I don't know if Alan Scott is still residing in Gotham City or not, but
if it gets picked up as a monthly series, and based in Gotham City, then
we may see Sentinal meet-up with Commisioner Gordon, or even battle it
out with a Bat-Villain. My guess is that Sentinal will operate in
lighter side of Gotham City, a suburb perhaps, while Batman is in the
Darker Gotham proper.

David C. Morefield

Jul 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/31/95
hi...@cotton.uamont.edu (DARREN HIGH) writes:

>Green Lantern worked in the 1930-40s, Batman began work in the 1980s
>according to the post Zero Hour timeline. Green Lantern could have
>met Batman's parents or grandparents, but since neither we're costumed
>heroes, it wouldn't be that interesting of an encounter.

>Secret Origins #50 did show Alan Scott encountering The Reaper in Gotham.
>Even though The Reaper got the drop on Al at first, I don't understand
>why Green lantern did not return and mop up the streets with the guy.

The JSA disbanded following the Congressional hearings on their
ativities, which in our universe would have been somewhere in
thee McCarthy era, say 1954. This would put Alan's "active"
years closer to the days of Bruce's parents, not grandparents.
Also, as recently as the last JSA series (early 90's), Alan was
shown to still have control over a television station in
Gotham, which would seem to indicate he's been living there
pretty much non-stop. I still say that if things really got as
bad as they are in Gotham, no superhero worth his salt would
sit around and do nothing, government edict or no. I guess you
could explain it by saying Alan is a typical, "world-minded"
hero, whereas Batman's obsession with a single city makes him
fairly unique (and thus a "square peg" in the JLA).

- David M.

Richard H Delaat

Jul 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/31/95
The following knowledge is pretty much based on Pre-Crisis Events but
I use it anyway.

In 1950 or 51 a senate hearing of something like The House Unamerican
Activities Commitee HUAC brought the JSA in and told them to unmask because
wearing a mask and having a secret identity was unamerican. The JSA said
NO and thereby disbanded with the members retiring. At this point Alan
Scott did run (possible own most of) a Radio Station in Gotham city. Sometime
in (I believe the 70s) Alan came under some control by the Psycho Pirate and
ended up losing the Station. He then went to work for Jay Garrick as an
engineer in Garrick's labs (I assume this would be in Keystone where Jay
based). Much later in the mid 80s (when he married Molly, found out he
had kids Obsidian and Jade) he bought a radio station in California. Then
he went to limbo with the rest of the JSA. Upon returning and getting their
own series they seemed to us a building for a Headquarters. I'm not sure
it ever revealed where the building was for sure. If it was Gotham it must
have been something Molly acquired while Alan was in limbo (she was doing
quite well managing the station). So Alan was not permanently living in
Gotham so their was some time for it to deteriorate. As well he did
have an encounter with the Reaper (which he lost??) and then the Reaper
left for Europe not to return till Batman Year 2. And just as a question,
considering people find it hard to believe that Alan and Bruce are in the
same Gotham could it be they weren't? Isn't it possible that the US has more
than one Gotham city? It's just a thought.

Richard deLaat
The Green Lantern @ AllStarMUSH

Jim Murdoch

Jul 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/31/95
In article <3vdn9s$7...@tzlink.j51.com> lep...@j51.com (Louis Epstein) writes:
>From: lep...@j51.com (Louis Epstein)
>Subject: Re: Batman and GA Green Lantern
>Date: 29 Jul 1995 16:23:24 GMT

>David Blocker (blo...@ncw.net) wrote:

>: On 25 Jul 1995, Glenn Walker wrote:

>: > Alan Scott retired, that's when Gotham became the dark hell of Batman's
>: > World... one might almost ask why Batman never confronted Scott for
>: > 'letting this happen to his city'....

>:
>: Green Lantern was ordered in World War II to unmask by the President.

>: He's been out of action for several years, and during that time period
>: Batman came into the picture and it was a few years later the Golden Age
>: Heroes re-assume their mask and return to active duty. At this time
>: Green Lantern moved to Keystone City with The Flash and most of his
>: activities was either there or with The Justice Society of America.

>: What gets me is why in the old Green Lantern stories GL didn't have
>: encounters with supporting characters like Commisioner Gordon?!?!

>Is this history from GA books,or is it re-con?

Nope, just stupidity from a Blockerhead. David, will you ever stop making an
ass of yourself?

Jim, Master of Comics
sm...@primenet.com

jnevins

Jul 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/31/95
David Blocker <blo...@ncw.net> writes:

>On 27 Jul 1995, jnevins wrote:

>> David Blocker <blo...@ncw.net> writes:

>> >Green Lantern was ordered in World War II to unmask by the President.
>> >He's been out of action for several years, and during that time period
>> >Batman came into the picture and it was a few years later the Golden Age
>> >Heroes re-assume their mask and return to active duty. At this time
>> >Green Lantern moved to Keystone City with The Flash and most of his
>> >activities was either there or with The Justice Society of America.
>>
>> >What gets me is why in the old Green Lantern stories GL didn't have
>> >encounters with supporting characters like Commisioner Gordon?!?!
>>

>> Tell me, which Earth was this on, Earth-Goofy? Alan Scott ordered to
>> unmask by FDR? Out of action, during WW2, for several years?

>It was originally on Earth-2, but now it would comply to the current
>Universe. On Earth-2 Gordon would have still been Commisioner while
>Green Lantern was in operation, so I wonder why Green Lantern didn't have
>any encounters with Commisioner Gordon on Earth-2, as he was operating at
>the same era as The Batman of that continuity?!?

As I replied in e-mail, this is, quite simply, wrong. Not in accorance
wiht any comic history they've established up until Zero Hour.
Inaccurate. Etc.

jess

The Truth Is Out There

Aug 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/1/95

The point in this thread is why does Gotham City recognize Batman so
well, but forgotten Green Lantern?!

My guess is that Green Lantern went out of commission by order of FDR
during WW2, and several years later Batman came into the picture and
became the in-thing, and few years later Green Lantern came out of
retirement by mainly worked with the JSA more than solo in Gotham City.

Your guess is plain wrong. Where does it ever say that FDR
specifically asked GL to go out of commission during World War II?
Your guess is just simply unsupported by any evidence.

Further, I see no real indication that the average Gothamite, faced
with the question of Green Lantern, would go, "Who?" Batman has been a
presence in Gotham for the past 10 years or so, so naturally he would
bbe most prominent in people's minds. GL's exploits took place in the
40s, he retired during the 50s, rejoined the JSA during the 60s, moved
to Keystone during the 70s, etc... it's not surprising that people
associate Gotham more with Batman than him. In the same way people
associate the name GL with Hal Jordan (a pox on Rayner!), or the Flash
with Barry Allen, and now Wally West, more than say, Allan Scott or
Jay Garrick.

--
------------
Terence Chua <tc...@darwin.technet.sg>

David C. Morefield

Aug 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/1/95
lep...@j51.com (Louis Epstein) writes:

>David Blocker (blo...@ncw.net) wrote:

>: On 25 Jul 1995, Glenn Walker wrote:

>: > Alan Scott retired, that's when Gotham became the dark hell of Batman's
>: > World... one might almost ask why Batman never confronted Scott for
>: > 'letting this happen to his city'....
>:
>: Green Lantern was ordered in World War II to unmask by the President.
>: He's been out of action for several years, and during that time period

>: Batman came into the picture and it was a few years later the Golden Age

>: Heroes re-assume their mask and return to active duty. At this time
>: Green Lantern moved to Keystone City with The Flash and most of his
>: activities was either there or with The Justice Society of America.

>: What gets me is why in the old Green Lantern stories GL didn't have
>: encounters with supporting characters like Commisioner Gordon?!?!

>Is this history from GA books,or is it re-con?

Neither. What actually happened is that the U.S. Senate's
House Un-American Activities Committee in the 1950's (think
"McCarthy") suggested that anyone who wears a mask MUST be up to
no good, and if the JSA wanted to disprove it, why not
just take those masks off? (see the JSA FAQ for specific
issues, but I think it happened in Adventure Comics during its
$1.00 anthology stage -- told as a flashback, of course.
Actual 50's comics would never have suggested McCarthy was full
of beans -- except maybe EC Comics :-)).With the backing of the whole
group, Hawkman told COngress to stick it and the JSA
disappeared (literally!) for about a decade.

During the mid to
late 70's, Alan Scott appeared in a few back-up stories in
"Green Lantern/Green Arrow" and he did indeed spend
some time as a resident of Jay Garrick's Keystone City in the
course of those tales. I had the distinct impression, however,
that this was a temporary arrangement for the duration of the
storyline. Indeed, issues of "All-Star Comics" from the same
period had Alan running his TV station in Gotham.
Post-Crisis references to Alan Scott's life and
career also suggest that he has been a steady resident of
Gotham City.

- David M.

Randy Lander

Aug 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/1/95
In article <TCHUA.95A...@soda.berkeley.edu>, tc...@soda.berkeley.edu

<Pine.HPP.3.91.950730184156.264...@bing.ncw.net>
David Blocker <blo...@ncw.net> writes:

> The point in this thread is why does Gotham City recognize Batman so
> well, but forgotten Green Lantern?!
>
> My guess is that Green Lantern went out of commission by order of FDR
> during WW2, and several years later Batman came into the picture and
> became the in-thing, and few years later Green Lantern came out of
> retirement by mainly worked with the JSA more than solo in Gotham City.
>

> Your guess is plain wrong. Where does it ever say that FDR
> specifically asked GL to go out of commission during World War II?
> Your guess is just simply unsupported by any evidence.

Just curious. How can his guess be plain wrong unless you have evidence to
back up your guess. This just came off a little harsh. FDR did ask the JSA
to stay out of Europe during WW2 (I don't know what the current
explanation is in continuity, but this has been established many times,
most recently in The Spectre, I believe.) It's no real stretch to think
that maybe FDR would have used that clout to ask the JSA to stop operating
post-war. I don't know if I think that's what has happened or not, but
it's not "plain wrong" as you put it.

> Further, I see no real indication that the average Gothamite, faced
> with the question of Green Lantern, would go, "Who?" Batman has been a
> presence in Gotham for the past 10 years or so, so naturally he would
> bbe most prominent in people's minds. GL's exploits took place in the
> 40s, he retired during the 50s, rejoined the JSA during the 60s, moved
> to Keystone during the 70s, etc... it's not surprising that people
> associate Gotham more with Batman than him. In the same way people
> associate the name GL with Hal Jordan (a pox on Rayner!), or the Flash
> with Barry Allen, and now Wally West, more than say, Allan Scott or
> Jay Garrick.
>

> Terence Chua <tc...@darwin.technet.sg>

Let's put it this way. When was the last time a Gotham native said
anything about Green Lantern? Okay, now when was the last time they
mentioned Batman? It's not like we expect Green Lantern to be a common
fixture, and of course Batman is more common now. But as it stands now,
Green Lantern is treated as if he never existed in Gotham.

--
rwla...@io.com <*> | This is an interactive signature. Insert your
______________________| own humorous remark here.

David Blocker

Aug 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/1/95
to sco...@cris.com

On Tue, 1 Aug 1995 Sco...@cris.com wrote:

> : My guess is that Green Lantern was ordered to unmask by FDR during WW2,

> : and by that time the era of Mystery Men was forgotten.
>

> You're mistaken. Green Lantern (and the other JSAers) weren't ordered
> to unmask until 1951, well after World War II. And it wasn't the
> President who gave the order, it was the House Un-American Activities
> Committee.

I guess its a matter of which continuity we are refering to. Before or
after Zero Hour. I don't find Zero Hour all that nessesary to begin with.
I think there was better ways to explain loose ends rather than just
changing the time lines.

Scott Hollifield

Aug 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/2/95
David C. Morefield (dmor...@cabell.vcu.edu) wrote:
: Neither. What actually happened is that the U.S. Senate's

: House Un-American Activities Committee in the 1950's (think
: "McCarthy") suggested that anyone who wears a mask MUST be up to
: no good, and if the JSA wanted to disprove it, why not
: just take those masks off? (see the JSA FAQ for specific
: issues, but I think it happened in Adventure Comics during its
: $1.00 anthology stage -- told as a flashback, of course.

This is not a correction really, just a sidebar -- it wasn't
actually HUAC who ordered the JSA to unmask or disband, it was
the fictitious "Joint Congressional Un-American Activities Committee",
headed by Senator O'Fallon. (My guess is that even by 1979, some
writers were still too squeamish to place the blame for the JSA's
defeat on the head of a real government organization like HUAC.
Heck, in the mid-'80s, my grandmother, a registered Republican, was
getting lobby mail from a group that wanted Congress to reform HUAC.)

Thomas's 1985 America Vs. The JSA miniseries notes that the JCUAC was,
however, headed by McCarthy, who was replaced by O'Fallon when McCarthy
had his car accident. The JCUAC becoming, in continuity, HUAC, is a
relatively recent retcon, appearing for the first time in, I think,
History of the DC Universe #2.

--
"Wait just a cotton-pickin' minute! This ain't Pismo Beach! Let me see
here... Gulf of Tonkin... My Lai..." -- Ambush Bug

The Truth Is Out There

Aug 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/2/95
In article <rwlander-010...@dialup-27.austin.io.com> rwla...@io.com (Randy Lander) writes:

Just curious. How can his guess be plain wrong unless you have evidence to
back up your guess. This just came off a little harsh. FDR did ask the JSA
to stay out of Europe during WW2 (I don't know what the current
explanation is in continuity, but this has been established many times,
most recently in The Spectre, I believe.) It's no real stretch to think
that maybe FDR would have used that clout to ask the JSA to stop operating
post-war. I don't know if I think that's what has happened or not, but
it's not "plain wrong" as you put it.

FDR asking the JSA to stay out of Europe is well-documented - unless
there's a new explanation I missed, it was becausue of the Spear of
Destiny and the danger of them falling under Axis control.

On the other hand, there is no evidence to suuggest FDR asked the JSA
to stop operating post-war. There is evidence, however,
well-documented, that the JSA disbanded due to the HUAC hearings that
asked them to unmask to prove themselves as true Americans. In the
face of this, I simply can't see this hypothetical asking by FDR of GL
to retire as a plausible scenario. If he did, one must ask the qustion
- Why? There was certainly a good reason before, and FDR had the
clout back then duuring WW2 because he was the C-in-C and the JSA was
the Justice Battalion so he could order them around. The situation
post-war was different. Anyway, FDR was dead by then, so it would have
to be Truman.

But we're talking not about the JSA but Alan Scott. If indeed FDR
asked him to retire during WW2 one must ask - where does it suggest
this? Why would he do this? Is there a need to come up with this
scenario to explain things? Or is there a more plausible explanation?

Let's put it this way. When was the last time a Gotham native said
anything about Green Lantern? Okay, now when was the last time they
mentioned Batman? It's not like we expect Green Lantern to be a common
fixture, and of course Batman is more common now. But as it stands now,
Green Lantern is treated as if he never existed in Gotham.

Can I invoke bad writing? :) But let's say there is an explanation.
What would be the most likely? My suggestion is the style of the two
heroes. While Batman is inextricably tied to Gotham, GL never struck
me as particularly possessive of his city in the same way. In fact,
with his running around with the JSA, the All-Star Squadron and so on,
he was always more global in scope than Batman. It could very well be
that Gothamites don't consider GL as much a part of Gotham as Batman
has been.

Allen W. Wright

Aug 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/2/95

: Just curious. How can his guess be plain wrong unless you have evidence to

: back up your guess. This just came off a little harsh. FDR did ask the JSA
: to stay out of Europe during WW2 (I don't know what the current
: explanation is in continuity, but this has been established many times,
: most recently in The Spectre, I believe.) It's no real stretch to think
: that maybe FDR would have used that clout to ask the JSA to stop operating
: post-war. I don't know if I think that's what has happened or not, but
: it's not "plain wrong" as you put it.

Actually, FDR would need a lot of clout to ask the JSA to stop
operating post-WWII. Clout with a few deities, in fact. FDR didn't survive
the war. Then again, according to the official DC timeline, World War I
ended at least a year after it did in our world. So who knows.

And about half the golden age JSA stories were written and set after
World War II. The 1970s stories say they stopped operating in the 1950s.

While in the world of retcons, textual evidence doesn't count for much,
I'd say the original posters opinions were unsupported.

: Let's put it this way. When was the last time a Gotham native said

: anything about Green Lantern? Okay, now when was the last time they
: mentioned Batman? It's not like we expect Green Lantern to be a common
: fixture, and of course Batman is more common now. But as it stands now,
: Green Lantern is treated as if he never existed in Gotham.

Dick Grayson doesn't say a lot, if anything, about his years with the
Titans in the Nightwing and Batman comics. The current Batman editor
likes to play down the superhero elements of the DC Universe.

So, references to Green Lantern are probably made off-panel.

Puck

karl stripling

Aug 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/5/95

: On 27 Jul 1995, jnevins wrote:

: > David Blocker <blo...@ncw.net> writes:
: >

: > >On 25 Jul 1995, Glenn Walker wrote:
: >
: > >> Alan Scott retired, that's when Gotham became the dark hell of Batman's
: > >> World... one might almost ask why Batman never confronted Scott for
: > >> 'letting this happen to his city'....
: > >
[...]

: ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gary St. Lawrence

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
In article <404ho1$h...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, DTonks elaborated quite
informedly and eloquently on the blatant ignorance being displayed by DC
of its own history:

[Excellent points all, deleted for brevity]

***ALL*** of which STRONGLY supports my notion that the DAMAGE
team has the right idea in resurfacing THE YOUNG ALL-STARS! They were
CREATED to have replaced Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, et. al in the
Justice Society after the Crisis on Infinite Earths. We've seen that Arn
"Iron" Monroe was and is still very active as a hero ever since the Roy
Thomas YAS stories which took place in the 1940s, and there have been
PLENTY of allusions to the other YAS heroes being active and still alive
somehwere as well.

I say bring back FLYING FOX, IRON MONROE, NEPTUNE PERKINS,
TSUNAMI, DYNA-MITE, FURY (Neil Gaiman aside), and the rest (not on
Gilligan's Isle). They were the PERFECT solution to the absence of
Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman from the 1940s and Roy did a fantastic
job of researching and creating the characters so they COULD step in and
replace the legends!

Of course, I'm using LOGIC and certain knowledge of past DC
history/continuity ... something that seems either alien or antithetic to
the DCPTB.

Saint -- Waiting for the inevitable is time-consuming.

R. Tang

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
In article <DD23C...@goodnet.com>,

Gary St. Lawrence <sa...@goodnet.com> wrote:
> I say bring back FLYING FOX, IRON MONROE, NEPTUNE PERKINS,
>TSUNAMI, DYNA-MITE, FURY (Neil Gaiman aside), and the rest (not on
>Gilligan's Isle). They were the PERFECT solution to the absence of
>Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman from the 1940s and Roy did a fantastic
>job of researching and creating the characters so they COULD step in and
>replace the legends!

Agreed. They should have the luster of the originals in the DC
Universe (and Iron Munroe is LEGITIMATELY the heir to the original). I
think they're interesting in their own right; we should see more of them.
And even with Gaiman's spin on things, a modern-day Fury would still be
an interesting character to read.

--
Roger Tang, gwan...@u.washington.edu, Artistic Director PC Theatre
STILL just another theatre geek....

The most unAmerican thing you can say is "He/she makes too much money."

Shawn L.

Aug 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/14/95
In article <3v9u7u$b...@news.ualr.edu>,
hi...@cotton.uamont.edu (DARREN HIGH) wrote:

>Secret Origins #50 did show Alan Scott encountering The Reaper in Gotham.
>Even though The Reaper got the drop on Al at first, I don't understand
>why Green lantern did not return and mop up the streets with the guy.

He did.

If memory serves, Alan returned, and convinced the JSA'ers to come out of
retirement with him and 'persuaded' the Reaper to leave the country, which
he did until "Batman: Year Two".

I can't recall for sure if the JSAers were trying to get Reaper to change
his murderous ways, or just take him into custody. But at any rate, they
convinced him that he couldn't stay in Gotham any more.

^^^^^ Shawn L. - 76450...@Compuserve.com
/\_/\ "FireFox" from his secret hidaway, The Asbestos Den
\. ./ "Freedom of speech applies to the profane as well as the sacred.
\_/ If you can't take the flames, get off the net." - Shawn L.

David Oakes

Aug 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/14/95
76450...@compuserve.com (Shawn L.) wrote:
> In article <3v9u7u$b...@news.ualr.edu>,
> hi...@cotton.uamont.edu (DARREN HIGH) wrote:
> >Secret Origins #50 did show Alan Scott encountering The Reaper in Gotham.
> >Even though The Reaper got the drop on Al at first, I don't understand
> >why Green lantern did not return and mop up the streets with the guy.
> If memory serves, Alan returned, and convinced the JSA'ers to come out of
> retirement with him and 'persuaded' the Reaper to leave the country, which
> he did until "Batman: Year Two".
ah, no.

there was no on panel conflict between the reaper and the JSA in SO #50 (that
does sound like a bad love life... anyway). the implication is that alan
got them back together to look for the reaper, but by that time he had already
left for europe.

dave "fickle thing, memory" oakes