Where is Gotham City?

B. Christopher Dimeo

Jul 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/15/97

Hey folks,

I'm trying to find out the Lat/Long coordinates of Gotham City. There
are probably several. I remember being told that a little town in
southern New Jersey (Bridgeton) had a parade in the sixties because
someone figured out that that's where Gotham City was located.

In Batman&Robin, the sattelite computer aimed what looked to be
somewhere in upstate New York, Pennsylvania, or Ohio.

Got any info???

Thanx,
________________________
B. Christopher Dimeo
E & ES Department
New Mexico Tech
P.O. Box 3003 c/s
Socorro, NM 87801
http://www.nmt.edu/~ishi

Don Smith

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

"Gotham" is a nickname for NY City. (It was more popular a phrase before, and
is falling out of vogue.) The books I have read on Batman indicate that Gotham
is supposed to be fictional, but loosely based upon NYC. And, from what I have
read in the comics, the geography they DO include places Gotham in the Upper
East of the U.S..

Metropolis does not, to the best of my knowledge, fit ANY U.S. city.

Australia was a penal colony.

America was founded by God-fearing Puritans.

In modern Australia, women frolic topless at the beach,
and the age of consent is 16.

In modern America, Christians set off bombs to kill people
as directed by God, and 16 will get you 20.

Who do YOU think got the better deal???

B. Christopher Dimeo

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to figure out exactly where Gotham City would be located in
the real world. I've been told that a small town in southern New Jersey
(Bridgeton) held a parade in the sixties because someone figured out the
Latitude and Longitude and it matched that town. Does anyone have any
idea if the exact lat/long coordinates of Gotham City have ever been
mentioned in the comic books or TV/movies?

Thanks,
chris

Tim Faulkner

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

I was always under the impression that Gotham City was actually DCs version
of Chicago.
--
Tim "Crash" Faulkner
Kali: /Crash\

"I do it for the weak, and the scared, and the oppressed.
I do it for the victims - the innocent - the abused. I do it
to try to end the suffering ... and I do it for the nobodies"
- The Batman

Darin Carr <DL...@prodigy.net> wrote in article
<33CD1F...@prodigy.net>...

> Don Smith wrote:
> >
> > "B. Christopher Dimeo" <is...@mailhost.nmt.edu> wrote:
> >
> > >Hey folks,
> > >
> > >I'm trying to find out the Lat/Long coordinates of Gotham City. There
> > >are probably several. I remember being told that a little town in
> > >southern New Jersey (Bridgeton) had a parade in the sixties because
> > >someone figured out that that's where Gotham City was located.
> > >
> > >In Batman&Robin, the sattelite computer aimed what looked to be
> > >somewhere in upstate New York, Pennsylvania, or Ohio.
> > >
> > >Got any info???
> > >
> > >Thanx,

> > >--
> > >________________________
> > >B. Christopher Dimeo
> > >E & ES Department
> > >New Mexico Tech
> > >P.O. Box 3003 c/s
> > >Socorro, NM 87801
> > >http://www.nmt.edu/~ishi
> >

> > "Gotham" is a nickname for NY City. (It was more popular a phrase
before, and
> > is falling out of vogue.) The books I have read on Batman indicate that
Gotham
> > is supposed to be fictional, but loosely based upon NYC.
>

> In Batman Forever, Two-Face's helicopter crashes into the Statue of
> Liberty. But then again, Schumacher made that pic, so take it with a
> block of salt.
>
> DC

the man

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

On 16 Jul 1997 21:24:53 GMT, "Tim Faulkner" <timf...@concentric.net> wrote:

>I was always under the impression that Gotham City was actually DCs version
>of Chicago.
>--
>Tim "Crash" Faulkner
>Kali: /Crash\

In the last nightwing crossover, with Bane capturing a nuclear sub, They implied
that the city borders the ocean. Chicago's out.
I considered it NYC until the Gotham Nights mini-series came along and they
started putting all those weird-shaped buildings in the stories. I still consider it a
pseudo-NYC. In Gotham Nights 2, they even had the storyline about Coney Island

http://www.europa.com/~tick1845
comics, science, running, lots of other crap

Don Smith

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

bone...@hotmail.com (cyberBOB) wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Jul 1997 14:01:40 GMT, toled...@mail.earthlink.net.not
>(Don Smith) wrote:
>
>>"B. Christopher Dimeo" <is...@mailhost.nmt.edu> wrote:
>>
>>>Hey folks,
>>>
>>>I'm trying to find out the Lat/Long coordinates of Gotham City. There
>>>are probably several. I remember being told that a little town in
>>>southern New Jersey (Bridgeton) had a parade in the sixties because
>>>someone figured out that that's where Gotham City was located.
>>>
>>>In Batman&Robin, the sattelite computer aimed what looked to be
>>>somewhere in upstate New York, Pennsylvania, or Ohio.
>>>
>>>Got any info???
>>>
>>>Thanx,
>>>--
>>>________________________
>>>B. Christopher Dimeo
>>>E & ES Department
>>>New Mexico Tech
>>>P.O. Box 3003 c/s
>>>Socorro, NM 87801
>>>http://www.nmt.edu/~ishi
>>

>>"Gotham" is a nickname for NY City. (It was more popular a phrase before, and
>>is falling out of vogue.) The books I have read on Batman indicate that Gotham

>>is supposed to be fictional, but loosely based upon NYC. And, from what I have
>>read in the comics, the geography they DO include places Gotham in the Upper
>>East of the U.S..
>

>I thought it is Chicago. Cuz in a bat book i read there was a guy with
>a "Gotham Bulls" shirt on.

From TALES OF THE DARK KNIGHT: Batman's First Fifty Years: 1939-1989, page 66:

"Gotham City is the enduring stage for the tales of the Dark Knight.
Although in the early days New York was identified as Batman's Big City Beat,
by Batman 4 the venue was Gotham City. Although it was meant to be a fictional
place, it was--and is--clearly modeled after New York.

" 'My standard definition of Gotham City is, it's New York below
Fourteenth Street after eleven o'clock at night,' says Batman editor Denny
O'Neil."

The article goes on to discuss how Gotham borrowed many of its features from
NYC, and add ed a few "extra" to spice things up.

Don Smith

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

"B. Christopher Dimeo" <is...@mailhost.nmt.edu> wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>I'm trying to figure out exactly where Gotham City would be located in
>the real world. I've been told that a small town in southern New Jersey
>(Bridgeton) held a parade in the sixties because someone figured out the
>Latitude and Longitude and it matched that town. Does anyone have any
>idea if the exact lat/long coordinates of Gotham City have ever been
>mentioned in the comic books or TV/movies?
>
>Thanks,
>chris

>--
>________________________
>B. Christopher Dimeo
>E & ES Department
>New Mexico Tech
>P.O. Box 3003 c/s
>Socorro, NM 87801
>http://www.nmt.edu/~ishi

From TALES OF THE DARK KNIGHT: Batman's First Fifty Years: 1939-1989, page 66:

Cheeks

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, the man wrote:

> I considered it NYC until the Gotham Nights mini-series came along and they
> started putting all those weird-shaped buildings in the stories. I still consider it a
> pseudo-NYC. In Gotham Nights 2, they even had the storyline about Coney Island

I saw something interesting while looking at posters in a store the other
day- there was a poster for some NY Yankee baseball player, in a night
setting, and behind him on the moon is "GOTHAM" printed in black letters.
It struck me as weird- I would think that a somewhat obscure Batman
reference to anyone who might buy that poster.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~cheeks*~*~*~*~*~

cyberBOB

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

> "Gotham City is the enduring stage for the tales of the Dark Knight.
>Although in the early days New York was identified as Batman's Big City Beat,
>by Batman 4 the venue was Gotham City. Although it was meant to be a fictional
>place, it was--and is--clearly modeled after New York.
>
> " 'My standard definition of Gotham City is, it's New York below
>Fourteenth Street after eleven o'clock at night,' says Batman editor Denny
>O'Neil."
>

>The article goes on to discuss how Gotham borrowed many of its features from
>NYC, and add ed a few "extra" to spice things up.

If Gotham is New York, than what is Metropolis? Or did they change it
due to crisis? I know for one thing that Green Lanturn lives in New
York.

Don Smith

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

bone...@hotmail.com (cyberBOB) wrote:

No, Gotham is NOT NYC in the comics. Gotham is the DC Universe equivalent of
NYC.

Which, it looks like, also has its own NYC...

I suspect that DC is going to start introducing real cities into its universe
to make it more "realistic".

Who knows?

Today's (7/17/97) Bible Fak-toid:

"God creates day and night on the first day but
somehow waits until day number four to create
the sun and all the other stars."
Genesis 1:3-5, 16-19.

Plagerized from Ken's Guide To The Bible
by Ken Smith, available via order from Barnes
and Noble or other good bookstores.

It is worth every penny of the $7.95 price!

John Stephens

Jul 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/19/97

I actually enjoy the fictional cities, they make it more interesting. I
think Gotham a decadent model of NYC, though there is a NYC in DC.

Cooper