Q: Jim Gordon's wife's name?

The Floating Head of Alec Guinness

Feb 6, 2001, 12:12:26 AM2/6/01

I ask only because she's Sara in Miller's _The Dark Knight Returns_ but
Barbara in his _Batman: Year One_. Do we assume that Barbara is a first
wife (either divorced or dead) and that Gordon's daughter is named after
her? What about baby James from Year One: is anything done with him
either young or grown up elsewhere in the Batcanon?

Thanks in advance, particularly if these are questions the answers to
which any novice should know. Now I'll stop before I froth.

cheers,

Will

Loren Di Iorio

Feb 6, 2001, 12:19:07 AM2/6/01
Will wrote:
: I ask only because she's Sara in Miller's _The Dark Knight

: Returns_ but Barbara in his _Batman: Year One_. Do we
: assume that Barbara is a first wife (either divorced or dead)
: and that Gordon's daughter is named after her? What about
: baby James from Year One: is anything done with him
: either young or grown up elsewhere in the Batcanon?

Sarah Essen was Jim's wife up until the end of '99.

Barbara was Jim's first wife, back in Y1. Coincidentally, Jim
adopted his niece, daughter of Roger and Thelma Gordon,
(I believe it was Thelma), also named Barbara.

Barbara (his wife) and Jim had a son, James Jr. Note how many
similar names we've got going here. ;) Barbara and their son
divorced Jim and left back for Chicago. Jim later married
Sarah Essen.

...Loren

New reviews from Loren at http://www.comicbookgalaxy.com

Rabid Monkey Boy

Feb 6, 2001, 12:19:18 AM2/6/01
The Floating Head of Alec Guinness wrote:

> Thanks in advance, particularly if these are questions the answers to
> which any novice should know. Now I'll stop before I froth.

Not a problem, Will, most of us will always be more than happy to answer any
of your questions.

Now, as to Jim's wife, the answer is simple. He was married twice. His
first wife was Barbara, with whom he had little James, and she left him. He
then remarried to Sarah Essen, hence the 'Sarah' come The Dark Knight
Returns. Barbara, as in Babs, didn't start out as Jim's daughter, but as
his niece, and neither of his wives are her mother. It gets a little more
complicated than that, but I'm sure it clears up any confusion that you had.

d.

Rabid Monkey Boy

Feb 6, 2001, 12:20:58 AM2/6/01
Loren Di Iorio wrote:

> Barbara was Jim's first wife, back in Y1. Coincidentally, Jim
> adopted his niece, daughter of Roger and Thelma Gordon,
> (I believe it was Thelma), also named Barbara.

I thought her name was Theresa? I guess this means I have to go
through my back issues again.

d.

Loren Di Iorio

Feb 6, 2001, 12:24:35 AM2/6/01
The Man wrote:

Nope, Theresa don't ring any Bat-belfrey bells with me...
but I have been wrong in the past, and I've got the electricity
burns from the Clocktower to prove it. ;)

The Floating Head of Alec Guinness

Feb 6, 2001, 12:25:50 AM2/6/01

Loren Di Iorio wrote:

> Sarah Essen was Jim's wife up until the end of '99.
>
> Barbara was Jim's first wife, back in Y1. Coincidentally, Jim
> adopted his niece, daughter of Roger and Thelma Gordon,
> (I believe it was Thelma), also named Barbara.
>
> Barbara (his wife) and Jim had a son, James Jr. Note how many
> similar names we've got going here. ;) Barbara and their son
> divorced Jim and left back for Chicago. Jim later married
> Sarah Essen.
>
> ...Loren
>
> New reviews from Loren at http://www.comicbookgalaxy.com

Loren,

Much thanks. Out of curiousity, what should I have read to have known
that myself?

Will

Kestrel

Feb 6, 2001, 12:31:44 AM2/6/01
On Tue, 06 Feb 2001 05:19:18 GMT, Rabid Monkey Boy
<themanwhof...@earthling.net> wrote:

>The Floating Head of Alec Guinness wrote:
>
>> Thanks in advance, particularly if these are questions the answers to
>> which any novice should know. Now I'll stop before I froth.
>
>Not a problem, Will, most of us will always be more than happy to answer any
>of your questions.
>
>Now, as to Jim's wife, the answer is simple. He was married twice. His
>first wife was Barbara, with whom he had little James, and she left him. He
>then remarried to Sarah Essen, hence the 'Sarah' come The Dark Knight
>Returns.

waitaminit... Gordon married Sarah AFTER Dark Knight Returns was
written yes? Heck, IIRC, she wasn't even a character until Batman:
Year One which was also written after DKR, correct?

I'd look up the dates and verify that, but my bound copy of Year One
and Dark Knight are currently 50 miles away...
_ _ ____ ____ _____ ____ ____ _
| |/ / ___| __|_ _|___ \ ___| | Anthony Paladino (Kestrel)
| <| ___|\__ \ | | | / ___| |_ mailto: kest...@NOSPAM.iname.com
|_|\_\____|____| |_| |_|\_\____|___| http://hawkworld.dhs.org

Rabid Monkey Boy

Feb 6, 2001, 12:33:34 AM2/6/01
Kestrel wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Feb 2001 05:19:18 GMT, Rabid Monkey Boy
> <themanwhof...@earthling.net> wrote:
>
> >The Floating Head of Alec Guinness wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks in advance, particularly if these are questions the answers to
> >> which any novice should know. Now I'll stop before I froth.
> >
> >Not a problem, Will, most of us will always be more than happy to answer any
> >of your questions.
> >
> >Now, as to Jim's wife, the answer is simple. He was married twice. His
> >first wife was Barbara, with whom he had little James, and she left him. He
> >then remarried to Sarah Essen, hence the 'Sarah' come The Dark Knight
> >Returns.
>
> waitaminit... Gordon married Sarah AFTER Dark Knight Returns was
> written yes? Heck, IIRC, she wasn't even a character until Batman:
> Year One which was also written after DKR, correct?

You are correct, kind of. We didn't officially see her in the current
bat-timeline until Y1, however, Jim had been married to 'Sarah' in TDKR. I did
say it got complicated.

d.

Loren Di Iorio

Feb 6, 2001, 12:38:37 AM2/6/01
Will wrote:
: Loren, much thanks.

No prob! :)

: Out of curiousity, what should I have read to have known
: that myself?

Lots. :) Read Y1 to find out about the whole Jim/Barbara/Sarah
love triangle.

Batman: Night Cries to find out more about what life at home
was like for Jim, Barbara, and James Jr.

LotDK Annual #2 and Batman: Turning Points #1 to find out
how the love triangle ended up.

LotDCU #10-11 to discover what happened to Babs' parents,
and how Jim became her new father.

And No Man's Land: Endgame (or alternatively, the fifth NML
trade, when it comes out) to discover how Sarah and Jim's
lives were changed forever.

Maven Cree

Feb 6, 2001, 1:30:05 AM2/6/01
Explainations of Barbara, Babs, Sara and Terresa:

Barbara was his first wife.
They had a son, James Jr.
They got a divorce and moved away.

Sara was Jim's mistress (why Barbara left), for a long while. She left
Gotham after a while, then returned. They started dating again and then
married and stayed together till she was killed by the Joker at the end of
NMH.

Barbara (Oracle) Gordon, was Jim's niece, through his brother. Terresa was
Barbara's mother's name.

In Gotham Knight's #6, it was revealed that it is more than likely that Jim
is really Barbara's biological father... that he was having an affair with
his brother wife.

Babs actually hopes this to be true becase she loves him so much and her
'father' was a huge mean drunk. But she hasn't mentioned her knowledge to
Jim yet, just to Bats.

Oracle's 'parents' were killed in a car accident or by a gun, depending on
which story you read. She went to live with Jim.

Maven.

Chris Small

Feb 6, 2001, 1:26:56 AM2/6/01
Loren wrote:

For the sake of being complete:

> Sarah Essen was Jim's wife up until the end of '99.

No Man's Land: Endgame (DETECTIVE COMICS #741 1999, Rucka; Grayson)

> Barbara was Jim's first wife, back in Y1.

YEAR ONE (1987, Miller)

> Coincidentally, Jim adopted his niece, daughter of Roger and
> Thelma Gordon, (I believe it was Thelma), also named Barbara.

Secret Origins #20 (et al) (1987, Barbara Randall)

Babs' mother's name was Thelma.

Note that this issue was written by yet *another* Barbara. =)

> Barbara (his wife) and Jim had a son, James Jr. Note how many
> similar names we've got going here. ;)

YEAR ONE, again.

> Barbara and their son divorced Jim and left back for Chicago.

NIGHT CRIES (Graphic Novel, 1993, Archie Goodwin) and
TURNING POINTS #1 (2000, Rucka)

> Jim later married Sarah Essen.

Uhm... Legends of the Dark Knight Annual that I'm missing?

--
~Chris

http://www.buzzingbean.com/chris

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Chris Small

Feb 6, 2001, 1:35:51 AM2/6/01
Loren wrote:
<snip>

Argh... You beat me by a second. >:)

uhm... gee.. what a wasted post... Just one line? Seems hardly worth
making... Some small-talk then?

So -- how about that snow, eh? It's over my window sills already, and
isn't expected to stop until two or three this morning.

ObACB: If Batman hates rain, how does he feel about snow?

--
~Chris (tired)

Matches Malone

Feb 7, 2001, 7:22:30 PM2/7/01
As if from nowhere, on Wed, 07 Feb 2001 05:12:48 GMT Chris Small
<cs_b...@hotmail.com> said

>Ah! Right. Thanks Ian. The last time this came up I tried to find that
>issue, but couldn't find it for the life of me. It's a pain to figure
>out which issues various parts of the sub-plots happened in. I have
>Sarah Esson's return someplace also, I think, but can't figure out what
>issue it's in...

BATMAN #458. They got engaged the first time in BATMAN #465, got
engaged again in DETECTIVE #644-646, and married in LotDK ANNUAL #2.

--

"Oh sure, like lawyers work in big skyscrapers and have secretaries.
Look at him. He's wearing a belt! That's Hollywood for you."

mat...@mindspring.com

doj

Feb 8, 2001, 6:27:52 PM2/8/01

"Loren Di Iorio" <yu21...@yorku.ca> wrote in message
> Harpal wrote:
> : To confuse you even more, the rumour that she really IS his
> : daughter, being brought up by his sister after the thing and
> : the other thing followed by the other thing, all the while being
> : something else, and it just gets more and more confusing.
>
> Okay, now you've confused even me. ;)
>
> : Hoped that has straightened things out, if I knew what issues
> : were what, I'd be called Loren or something.
>
> I bow to you, for honouring me in this fashion, Harpal!
>
> ...Loren, doesn't have every issue number handy

but you normally know someone who has

heqing...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2018, 3:08:41 AM12/29/18
在 2001年2月6日星期二 UTC+8下午1:20:58,Rabid Monkey Boy写道:
what