Library yanks Moore graphic novel from shelves for being TOO graphic

The Saltex Brujo

Jun 15, 2012, 8:34:13 AM6/15/12
Library yanks Moore graphic novel from shelves for being TOO graphic

Tweet
Watchmen creator Alan Moore's recent 2011 graphic novel Neonomicon,
about FBI agents investigating ritualistic murders, has been pulled from
a public library in South Carolina due to complaints over "nudity" and
"sex" featured in the book.
The bookâ€"filed in the Greenville County library's adult
sectionâ€"was apparently checked out by a curious 14-year-old girl
(visitors over 13 can check out books from any section). Once the girl
dug a bit deeper into the comic and ran across some sexy scenes, she
told her mother and things snowballed from there.
"It looked like a murder mystery comic book to me. It looked like a
child's book," the girl's mother, Carrie Gaske, told a local news
outlet  . "She came into my living room and asked me what a certain
word meant and I said honey where did you hear that word? I said that's
a nasty word we don't use that in the house."
The mother was upset after seeing "graphic sexual content and pictures
of nude men and women engaging in sexual activity," comparing the
contents to that found in nudie mags.
"The more into it I got the more shocked I was, I really had no idea
this type of material was allowed at a public library," Gaske said. "I
feel that has the same content of Hustler or Playboy or things like
that. Maybe even worse."
Gaske is pushing for the library to adopt a rating system for books,
similar to those used in the videogame and film industries, while
library officials fired back that it's up to parents to screen what
their children are reading.
Sound off: Do you think this is a tale of one parent's over-reaction, or
the beginning of Big Brother, comic-book-style?
( WSPA 7  via Newsarama  )
Blastr CATEGORIES
31 Days of Halloween  Animation  Announcements  Art  Awards
Blastr Gift Guide  Blastr Video  Blu-rays  Books  Columnists
Comic-Con  Comics  Comments  Conventions  DVDs  Fandom
Galleries  Games  Gossip  Green Week  Horror  Image of the
Day  Infographic  Interviews  Links  Lists  Movies  Music
News  Opinion  Polls  Posters  Reviews  Rumors  Science
Syfy Channel  Theater  Top Stories  Toys  Trailers  TV
Video  Web  Weird Stuff

Most Commented
This awesome theory explains what Prometheus is REALLY all about
Rumor of the Day: Marvel's plan to make Avengers the #1 movie ever
HBO calls Thrones' Bush beheading 'unacceptable, disrespectful'
The Blastr App
Download for iPhone and iPad
Download for Android devices
Subscribe
Follow us
Become a Fan
About Blastr
Editors: Scott Edelman edi...@blastr.com  Contributors: Tara Bennett
Marc Bernardin Nathalie Caron Adam-Troy Castro Krystal Clark Kevin Coll
Evan Hoovler Kathie Huddleston Matthew Jackson Chris Kalb Don Kaye Dave
Maass Michael Marano Brian Murphy Carol Pinchefsky Phil Plait Dan Roth
Jeff Spry Staci Layne Wilson
Feedback
Terms
Privacy