HEY HORINE! The Didiot is sending love letters to alan moore!

The Saltex Brujo

May 18, 2012, 9:19:52 AM5/18/12
Dan DiDio Calls Before Watchmen A “Love Letter†To Alan
Moore’s Creation. Plus New Jim Lee Covers.
Tweet
13 Comments
Written on May 18, 2012 by Rich Johnston  in Comics

Alan Moore once described DC Comics’ repeated attempts to
publish his work after he walked away from the company as that of a
“‘a really weird, rich stalker girlfriend†.
Which makes Dan DiDio’s description of the project in The
Guardian  today as a rather apt one, saying;
I hope he looks at them with an open mind and a chance to understand
this is a love letter to what he created, and more importantly that the
strength of his work is allowing other people to grow and tell other
stories which will hopefully inspire other creators along the way. In
the way he was inspired by the creators when he was younger,
we’re hoping these ideas and these books are inspiring new
people, so that we continue to grow the comics business as a whole
In the interview, Dan DiDio also states “even our own internal
staff were having problems with it†. From conversations
I’ve had, there’s probably less of the past tense
involved, although they fear for their jobs if they are found expressing
such opinion to me.
Dan DiDio does “we’re not going to shy away from the
controversy on this â€" as a matter of fact we’re embracing
it because we have belief in the strength of the product and stand
behind it.†He will be appearing at Kapow this weekend, which is
where he may meet some of this controversy head one. DiDio is a
consummate handler of crowds, it should be quite the event.
DiDio describes the individual comics, giving a glimpse into the plots
and structure more than we have read before;
the Silk Spectre comic is a coming-of-age story about a girl in the late
60s who rebels against her mother, the Comedian’s back story
will take a look at “turbulent times in the government†,
Nite Owl’s is “almost a father and son-style story as
one man hands the mantle of Nite Owl to the other†and Dr
Manhattan’s a time-shifting journey through history.
Rorschach’s story, predictably, is “extremely
violent†.
The Ozymandias prequel “is basically the string that ties it all
together, from his story of how he first formulates his idea of how to
save the world to the moment when he decides to execute that
plan†, and the Minutemen miniseries will chronicle “the
final days of the Minutemen and how that team really came
apart†. The first book in the series, Minutemen #1, is out on 6
June, with a new issue to follow each week.
He also talks about the motivation for the project;
When you have a product like Watchmen that is as worldwide known as it
is, and the fact there are millions of copies in print, we
wouldn’t be doing our jobs if we didn’t go out and say,
‘is there other ways we can grow new material from
this?’ We went out and reached the original creators and they
had passed, but we still believed this was the right choice to make. And
in doing so we went out with the strongest creators possible, so while
you may question the decision you can’t question the quality of
the product and the quality of the people behind the product.â€
Which does make the decision not to publish Sandman Zero say, to be
written by Neil Gaiman say, in return for a better Sandman deal for
Neil, an odd one.
DiDio does also respond to Moore’s accusation that DC are
“completely shameless†for this project, saying;
“Honestly I can understand why he might feel the way he does
because this is a personal project to him. He has such a long and
illustrious career and he’s been able to stand behind the body
of work he’s created. But quite honestly the idea of something
shameless is a little silly, primarily because I let the material speak
for itself and the quality of the material speak for itself.â€
We also get a little back and forth over Moore’s claims that DC
is doing nothing but build on twenty-five year old ideas of his, DiDio
saying “Realistically some of Alan’s strongest works at
DC outside of Watchmen were built off of characters like Swamp Thing
which was created by Len Wein, Superman, Batman, so many of our great
characters he’s worked on and they helped build his
career.â€
The Guardian reports Moore’s response to this point; “I
understood that whether I had created the characters like John
Constantine, or whether I’d simply recreated them beyond all
recognition like Swamp Thing, that these would just go into the general
comic company’s stockpiles. I’ve never objected to that.
I mean, I don’t think it is necessarily the fairest thing, but
I’ve not objected to that, The thing was, that wasn’t
what we were told Watchmen was. We were told that Watchmen was going to
be a title that we owned and that we would determine the destinies
of.â€
And that’s the difference. DC says Watchmen was work-for-hire at
the beginning. But at the beginning, the creators said they rejected a
work for hire agreement and got one that was described as creator-owned,
as aspect that was widely reported at the time. Until the creators
realised that suddenly this was no longer the case…
It should be an interesting weekend!
Related Posts:
Another Dan DiDio Wally West Explanation? (SPOILER)
Dan DiDio Dishes On The New DCU In Pre-Comic Con Q&A
Dan Didio is the New Nightwing and Other DC Nation Revelations by Peter
S. Svensson
Before Watchmen Will Be $3.99 Each â€" Jim Lee, Michael Golden,
Eduardo Risso, Kevin Nowlan And Dave Johnson Jump On
@DC_NATION Tweets Link To Spoof Dan DiDio Account By Mistake
Tweet
13 Comments
0 Comments - Leave a comment!

Trending Now
DC Stops Subscriptions For Aquaman, JL Dark, JLI And Swamp Thing With
Issue 10 (UPDATE)
Written on May 16, 2012 by Rich Johnston  in Comics  , Trending

A number of DC subscribers have contacted Bleeding Cool rather annoyed
that DC Comics have told them that they can no longer get their
favourite books in this fashion, and they will be cancelled with issue
10. Which means Justice League International readers will miss the final
two issues of that comic, and unless they…
Continue Reading »
0 Comments - Leave a comment!
Greg Capullo Turned Down Avengers Vs X-Men
Written on May 16, 2012 by Rich Johnston  in Comics  , Top
Stories  , Trending

Greg Capullo once said that, when leaving Haunt, he had a choice between
working on Batman and Wolverine, and went with the relaunch of Batman
with Scott Snyder. Turns out that the temptation may have been even
harder, and that he was offered the opportunity to draw Avengers Vs
X-Men. In an interview he says;…
Continue Reading »
0 Comments - Leave a comment!
First Official Image Of Jonny Lee Miller As Sherlock Holmes, Lucy Liu As
Joan Watson
Written on May 16, 2012 by Brendon Connelly  in Film  , Trending
, TV

Elementary is a modern day take on the Sherlock Holmes stories, set in
New York and coming to US TV this Autumn. CBS have sent out this first
official image of our lead characters â€" Jonny Lee Miller as
Sherlock Holmes and Lucy Liu as disgraced doctor Joan Watson. Aidan
Quinn is also in the…
Continue Reading »
0 Comments - Leave a comment!
Night Of The Owls, Beat For Beat
Written on May 16, 2012 by Rich Johnston  in Comics  , Trending

I have mocked the Avengers Vs X-Men crossover for portraying a seemingly
impossible and contradictory series of events in a variety of comics
that, for anyone trying to read the whole thing, doesn’t make a
great deal of sense. Batman’s Night Of The Owls crossover has,
in comparison, been meticulously planned. The events, all
taking…
Continue Reading »
0 Comments - Leave a comment!
David Graves â€" The Big Bad Of The New DCU
Written on May 16, 2012 by Rich Johnston  in Comics  , Recent
Updates  , Top Stories  , Trending

If there is a Big Bad of the Justice League, comprising Superman,
Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Cyborg, then you
can be sure he’s going to be the Big Bad of pretty much
everyone. And Geoff Johns has been seeding him for a few issues now. In
issue 3 of Justice League,…
Continue Reading »
0 Comments - Leave a comment!
President Obama On The Avengers
Written on May 15, 2012 by Rich Johnston  in Film  , Trending

In my Avengefuls comic for Boom!, I had President Obama shooting Osama
Bin Hulk in the head with the line “guns don’t kill
terrorists, Presidents kill terrorists.†It felt right. We know
President Obama used to read comics. Even when he was all grown up.
Appearing on The View, he was asked about Kardashians, Fifty…
Continue Reading »
0 Comments - Leave a comment!
Recent Posts
The Infinity Gauntlet Is The Best Selling Graphic Novel On Amazon
Dan DiDio Calls Before Watchmen A “Love Letter†To Alan
Moore’s Creation. Plus New Jim Lee Covers.
The Before Watchmen Reviews Are In. From Some People.
Friday Runaround â€" Those Damn, Dirty Polar Bears
Ernie Chan Passes
Trending Tags
FCBD
The Avengers
Prometheus
Swipe File
Doctor Who
Before Watchmen
Dark Knight Rises
Disclaimer: This site is full of news, gossip and rumour. You are
invited to use your discretion and intelligence when discerning which is
which. BleedingCool.com cannot be held responsible for falling
educational standards. Bleeding Cool is neither fair nor balanced, but
it is quite fun. Privacy Policy
mobileleaptop

                              _
                            /'_/)