Alan Moore is 'grateful' for all your Before Watchmen fan rage

Unifarva-The Walte rnate's Walternate

Feb 15, 2012, 11:11:15 PM2/15/12
Alan Moore is 'grateful' for all your Before Watchmen fan rage

Tweet
When DC Comics announced  Before Watchmen, they did more than draw the
ire of many a long-serving fanboy. They also added fuel to a decades-old
feud with Watchmen writer and great bearded comic book wizard Alan
Moore. Moore's already declared the project "evil"  , but he's not
done yet, and he wants you to know he's happy that you're pissed, too.
In an interview with Fast Company  that allowed him to further
elaborate on his rage against the DC machine, Moore said that he doesn't
even have any fond memories of the original Watchmen these days. The
contract for the project was "creator-hostile," the period that he
worked on the book is a "toxic cloud of memories," and he doesn't even
have a copy of the book in his Northampton home.
But Moore's own profound dislike of DC Comics and their treatment of his
creations is no secret. What's new to Moore is the outrage of his fans
and fellow creators, outrage which he seems to be enjoying.
"I don't think it's going to work. From what I hear, there's a certain
degree of comic creators' hostility and negative feedback posting on
entertainment sites. Some people are writing petitions. I would have
never have asked any of the readers to do that, but I'm genuinely
grateful," Moore said. "It's not a kind of reaction I can ever remember
from a readership before. I would have thought, from a DC perspective,
that's it's a lose-lose perspective, unless they did something better or
as good as Watchmen. But realistically, that's not going to happen,
otherwise it would have happened before."
And Moore's not just complaining about his rights as a creator. He also
happens to think that prequelizing a story like Watchmen just destroys
everything the source material was about in the first place.
"It seems a bit desperate to go after a book famous for its artistic
integrity," he said. "It's a finite series. Watchmen was said to
actually provide an alternative to the superhero story as an endless
soap opera. To turn that into just another superhero comic that goes on
forever demonstrates exactly why I feel the way I do about the comics
industry. It's mostly about franchises. Comic shops these days barely
sell comics. It's mostly spinoffs and toys."
Despite all the outcry, Before Watchmen is still happening, and DC's not
going to stop sticking up for it. Co-publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee
packed some of the biggest names in comics into this project, and after
the successful launch of the New 52 last fall, they're hoping this is
yet another gamble that will yield a big payoff.
"One of the key characteristics of the comic book medium is that it is
not brought to life by just one voice," said Lee. "These universes are
developed and evolved by multiple creative voices, over multiple
generations. The influx of new stories is essential to keeping the
universes relevant, current, and alive. Watchmen is a cornerstone of
both DC Comics' publishing history and its future. As a publisher, we'd
be remiss not to expand upon and explore these characters and their
stories. We're committed to being an industry leader, which means making
bold creative moves."
But just as DC won't stop plugging the project, Moore won't stop
decrying it. He even said he's considering some kind of legal action to
stop Before Watchmen, in an effort to preserve the "dignity and
integrity" of his work. And even if he doesn't take DC to court, we'll
still have lots of wonderful new Alan Moore quips about the lack of
originality in entertainment these days.
Quips like this one:
"Now you've got theme park rides as the source material of movies. The
only things left are breakfast cereal mascots. In our lifetime, we will
see Johnny Depp playing Captain Crunch."
( Fast Company  via CBR  )
Blastr CATEGORIES
31 Days of Halloween  Advertorials  Animation  Announcements
Art  Awards  Blastr Gift Guide  Blastr Video  Blu-rays
Books  Columnists  Comic-Con  Comics  Comments  Conventions
DVDs  Fandom  Galleries  Games  Gossip  Green Week
Horror  Image of the Day  Infographic  Interviews  Links
Lists  Movies  Music  News  Opinion  Polls  Posters
Reviews  Rumors  Science  Syfy Channel  Theater  Top
Stories  Toys  Trailers  TV  Video  Web  Weird Stuff
See more blastr.com stories on Digg.com
Blastr CATEGORIES
31 Days of Halloween  Advertorials  Animation  Announcements
Art  Awards  Blastr Gift Guide  Blastr Video  Blu-rays
Books  Columnists  Comic-Con  Comics  Comments  Conventions
DVDs  Fandom  Galleries  Games  Gossip  Green Week
Horror  Image of the Day  Infographic  Interviews  Links
Lists  Movies  Music  News  Opinion  Polls  Posters
Reviews  Rumors  Science  Syfy Channel  Theater  Top
Stories  Toys  Trailers  TV  Video  Web  Weird Stuff

Most Commented
Latest sci-fi TV reboot: V's producers bringing back Space:1999
Lucas says Han always shot first (and he wishes you'd get over it)
So what does the end of House mean for Fox's Fringe and Terra Nova?
The Blastr App
Download for iPhone and iPad
Download for Android devices
Subscribe
Follow us
Become a Fan
About Blastr
Editors: Scott Edelman edi...@blastr.com  Contributors: Tara Bennett
Marc Bernardin Nathalie Caron Adam-Troy Castro Krystal Clark Kevin Coll
Evan Hoovler Kathie Huddleston Matthew Jackson Chris Kalb Don Kaye Dave
Maass Michael Marano Brian Murphy Carol Pinchefsky Phil Plait Dan Roth
Jeff Spry Staci Layne Wilson
Feedback
Terms
Privacy
Advertising
Newsletter Signup
About Blastr
©2012, Blastr. All rights reserved.
mobileleaptop

                              _
                            /'_/)
                          ,/_  /
                         /    /
                   /'_'/'   '/'__'7,
                /'/    /    /    /" /_\
               ('(    ' Fuck     /'   ')
          \      You'          /
                 '\'              _.7'
                   \             (
                     \            \
2012-YEAR OF THE ROBBY.

DON'T TAZE MY GRANNY!

rob

Feb 16, 2012, 2:29:02 PM2/16/12
On Feb 15, 11:11 pm, BillV2...@webtv.net (Unifarva-The Walte rnate's
who is this alan thick guy?

Duggy

Feb 17, 2012, 9:46:23 PM2/17/12
On Feb 16, 2:11 pm, BillV2...@webtv.net (Unifarva-The Walte rnate's
Walternate) wrote:
> Alan Moore is 'grateful' for all your Before Watchmen fan rage

> Despite all the outcry, Before Watchmen is still happening,

They're committed and they the outcry is good publicity. Like the New
52 outcry.

> and DC's not
> going to stop sticking up for it.

Duh.