Alan Moore says he turned down $2M to endorse Watchmen prequels

Hollywood Dean Clean

Aug 14, 2012, 2:46:35 AM8/14/12
Alan Moore says he turned down $2M to endorse Watchmen prequels

Tweet
We already know original Watchmen creator Alan Moore isn't a fan of the
new Before Watchmen run of prequel comics. He's so opposed, in fact,
that he apparently turned down about $2 million when DC asked for his
blessing. Now, that's sticking to your convictions.
In an interview with Left Lion  , Moore touched on his experience in
the lead-up to the release of Before Watchmen, which is currently
rolling out new issues. Judging by his statement below, it seems he
didn't even blink at the offer:
"Well, they asked me if they could give me a huge amount of money to
bring out these Watchmen prequel comics - which they were going to do
anyway - and that was probably a couple of million dollars. I should
imagine with all of the films it would be another few million? In a way
it's really empowering to do that.
You can't buy that kind of empowerment. To just know that as far as you
are aware, you have not got a price; that there is not an amount of
money large enough to make you compromise even a tiny bit of principle
that, as it turned out, would make no practical difference anyway. I'd
advise everyone to do it, otherwise you're going to end up mastered by
money and that's not a thing you want ruling your life. Money's fine if
it enables you to enjoy your life and to be useful to other people. But
as something that is a means to an end, no, it's useless."
Now, though Moore remains a staunch opponent of the prequel series,
original Watchmen artist Dave Gibbons was reportedly paid in the
neighborhood of half a million dollars to get behind the series, which
he did, bringing some legitimacy to the project in the eyes of hardcore
fans.
What do you think? Do you respect Moore more for sticking to his guns,
or do you think he's nuts for turning down the cash?
( Bleeding Cool  via Left Lion  )
Blastr CATEGORIES
31 Days of Halloween  Animation  Announcements  Art  Awards
Blastr Gift Guide  Blastr Video  Blu-rays  Books  Columnists
Comic-Con  Comics  Comments  Conventions  DVDs  Fandom
Galleries  Games  Gossip  Green Week  Horror  Image of the
Day  Infographic  Interviews  Links  Lists  Movies  Music
News  Opinion  Polls  Posters  Reviews  Rumors  Science
Syfy Channel  Theater  Top Stories  Toys  Trailers  TV
Video  Web  Weird Stuff

The Blastr App
Download for iPhone and iPad
Download for Android devices
Subscribe
Follow us
Become a Fan
About Blastr
Editors: Scott Edelman edi...@blastr.com  Contributors: Tara Bennett
Marc Bernardin Nathalie Caron Adam-Troy Castro Krystal Clark Kevin Coll
Evan Hoovler Kathie Huddleston Matthew Jackson Chris Kalb Don Kaye Dave
Maass Michael Marano Brian Murphy Carol Pinchefsky Phil Plait Dan Roth
Jeff Spry Staci Layne Wilson
Feedback
Terms
Privacy
Advertising
Newsletter Signup
About Blastr
©2012, Blastr. All rights reserved.
mobileleaptop

                              _
                            /'_/)
                          ,/_  /
                         /    /
                   /'_'/'   '/'__'7,
                /'/    /    /    /" /_\
               ('(    ' Fuck     /'   ')
            \      You'          /
                 '\'              _.7'
WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU BLABBERING ABOUT, YOU MILKSOP?!?

SHORTBUS O'REETEE STICKLER.

BEWARE OF OL' JEEZL PETE.

2012: YEAR OF THE ROBBY.

SAY THEE NAY TO YAY.