"Disorder in the Court" dialogue mystery solved

Car...@aol.com

Jan 2, 2009, 10:58:56 PM1/2/09
This might be old news to some, but...

A few times in past years, folks around here have speculated about the
meaning of one of Curly's lines from "Disorder in the Court." It
comes just after Moe shoots the court clerk's toupee full of holes.

Based on the transcript posted at threestooges.net, Curly's line, and
the proper spelling thereof, is "Oh, vici kid!"

Vici kid was a fine soft leather used mainly for gloves and shoes. So
apparently Curly was commenting on the fine, soft leathery quality of
the court clerk's toupee.

So there's the answer to the question, about seven years after it was
first asked here...

John L

Steve Harris

Jan 4, 2009, 2:55:46 PM1/4/09
In article <82de0eda-78e7-466a...@b38g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Car...@aol.com says...

Thanks for posting that. I for one hadn't heard it before, and was still
wondering what he said.

--S

Dr. Strangemonde

Jan 9, 2009, 10:10:25 PM1/9/09
On Jan 4, 1:55 pm, stvh...@xnewsguyx.com (Steve Harris) wrote:
> In article <82de0eda-78e7-466a-bff7-a3bd0ccee...@b38g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> Car...@aol.com says...

> >Vici kid was a fine soft leather used mainly for gloves and shoes. So
> >apparently Curly was commenting on the fine, soft leathery quality of
> >the court clerk's toupee.
>
> >John L
>
> Thanks for posting that. I for one hadn't heard it before, and was still
> wondering what he said.
>
> --S

Yeah! That's even more impressive than my explanation of what a "ham &
egger" was/is!

- Dr S

mi...@mikesgroi.com

May 23, 2018, 2:21:27 AM5/23/18
I’m wondering if the Vici Kid reference was towards the clerk who owned the toupee and not the toupee itself. Moe precedes Curly’s line by saying “oh superstitious, eh?” So maybe Curly was saying the clerk was a softy because he got so upset by the embarrassment of losing his toupee. Since Vici Kid was made with kidskin leather which was a very soft leather, I’m wondering if Curly was calling the clerk a softy or sensitive or even a sissy (Perhaps it was slang for homosexual?). The expression “handle with kid gloves” means handle delicately. So my guess is Curly was saying the clerk was delicate or a softy or a sissy. Would need more research on the vernacular (‘nacular? That’s a doiby!) of the day.

Car...@aol.com

May 31, 2018, 12:49:25 AM5/31/18
On Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 1:21:27 AM UTC-5, mi...@mikesgroi.com wrote:
> I’m wondering if the Vici Kid reference was towards the clerk who owned the toupee and not the toupee itself. Moe precedes Curly’s line by saying “oh superstitious, eh?” So maybe Curly was saying the clerk was a softy because he got so upset by the embarrassment of losing his toupee. Since Vici Kid was made with kidskin leather which was a very soft leather, I’m wondering if Curly was calling the clerk a softy or sensitive or even a sissy (Perhaps it was slang for homosexual?). The expression “handle with kid gloves” means handle delicately. So my guess is Curly was saying the clerk was delicate or a softy or a sissy. Would need more research on the vernacular (‘nacular? That’s a doiby!) of the day.

Sheesh. The issue was just deciphering a line. Debate resolved ago nine years!

You're too smart for the room, "mi...mikesgroi.com" or what whomever you are. It's a just a quip about a toupee. Leave it alone. I'll allow that your logic makes sense, but your logic makes my head ache.

I follow the social media nowadays. The groups? So 1999! I check in the groups about every three months so I can delete quickly about 99.9& posts. You're the "lucky" among the 0.01&

Seriously, thanks for your post. Perhaps you think too much, perhaps you think like subtle ca. 1935.

Follow the social media. Your and my thoughts received about an audience about five.

That's all.