Cohen says he spoke with Democrats Cummings, Schiff ahead of House hearing

Felcher Adam Schiff

Mar 1, 2019, 12:06:06 AM3/1/19
President Trump’s former personal attorney Michael Cohen said
Wednesday that he and his legal team spoke with top Democratic
Reps. Elijah Cummings and Adam Schiff before his testimony in
front of the House Oversight and Reform Committee.

In a testy exchange between Cohen and Rep. Jody Hice, R-Ga., the
president’s former lawyer said that his legal team has spoken to
members of the Democratic Party ahead of Wednesday’s hearing on
Capitol Hill.

"We've spoken to the party," Cohen said, adding that he has also
spoken with Schiff, the chairman of the House Intelligence
Committee, "and his people" but added that he only consulted
with his lawyers to prepare for the hearing. Cummings is
chairman of the House oversight committee that held Wednesday's
hearing.

READ: MICHAEL COHEN'S PREPARED OPENING STATEMENT BEFORE HOUSE
OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE

While it is standard practice for witnesses testifying before
Congress – and their lawyers – to talk beforehand with the heads
of committees holding the hearings, Republicans already had
complained about Cohen's interactions with the panel, including
that he didn't turn over testimony and evidence until hours
before the hearing's start.

'Shame on you, Mr. Jordan': Cohen hits Republican for saying he
has no remorse for crimesVideo
Republicans also sought to undermine his credibility by noting
his criminal record of lying and fraud.

"Here's the point, the chairman just gave you a 30-minute
opening statement and you have a history of lying over and over
and over again and frankly don't take my word for it, take what
the court said," Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, the ranking Republican
on the committee, said. “Cohen did crimes marked by a pattern of
deception and that permeated his professional life."

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Cohen asserted that he was not persuaded by Democrats to
testify, saying he was on Capitol Hill “voluntarily” and “It was
my decision.”

Michael Cohen: President Trump is a racist, conman and cheatVideo
Cohen testified that the job of everyone who works at the Trump
Organization was to protect Trump.

"Every day most of us knew we were coming in and we were going
to lie for him on something and that became the norm and that's
exactly what's happening right now in this country and what's
happening here in the government,” he said.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cohen-says-he-spoke-with-
democrats-cummings-and-schiff-ahead-of-house-hearing