Curly Howard and Stroke

Lordbyron

Sep 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/28/99
Does anyone know if Curly had already suffered a stroke when he appeared as
the snoring train passenger in Hold that Lion?, with Moe, Larry and Shemp?

--
LordByron wishes Adam and Eve many happy returns...

" I am not only the Hair Club president...I am also a member"
Sheriff Patterson 1967

Bobster123

Sep 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/28/99
wrote:

>Does anyone know if Curly had already suffered a stroke when he appeared as
>the snoring train passenger in Hold that Lion?, with Moe, Larry and Shemp?

My understanding is that he suffered the stroke during the filming of HALF WITS
HOLIDAY (that's why he suddenly disappears from the dinner scene at the end of
the film). HOLD THAT LION was filmed about a year or so later.

D. Kirkpatrick

Sep 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/28/99
In article <01bf0967$f322f860$be9b6420@babster>, "Lordbyron"
<lord...@ibm.net> wrote:

> Does anyone know if Curly had already suffered a stroke when he appeared as
> the snoring train passenger in Hold that Lion?, with Moe, Larry and Shemp?

At leats 2 at that point, possibly 3. I'd have to check bio books put
away in the closet.

The first took him off the set of Half Wits Holiday toward the end of
filming. From that point on we see the weaker and more subdued Curly.
Then a second one took him out of the cast completely.

"Hold That Lion" was aout 1-3 shorts in with Shemp returning as the 3rd stooge.

DMK

zug

Sep 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/28/99

Lordbyron wrote in message <01bf0967$f322f860$be9b6420@babster>...

>Does anyone know if Curly had already suffered a stroke when he appeared as
>the snoring train passenger in Hold that Lion?, with Moe, Larry and Shemp?
>

>--
>Yes Curly had already suffered stroke.Moe thought it would help is moral to
appear again.

Steve Harris

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
In article <nat-280999...@p46.tc1.state.ma.tiac.com>, n...@tiac.net
says...

>In article <01bf0967$f322f860$be9b6420@babster>, "Lordbyron"
><lord...@ibm.net> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know if Curly had already suffered a stroke when he appeared as
>> the snoring train passenger in Hold that Lion?, with Moe, Larry and Shemp?
>
>At leats 2 at that point, possibly 3. I'd have to check bio books put
>away in the closet.
>
>The first took him off the set of Half Wits Holiday toward the end of
>filming. From that point on we see the weaker and more subdued Curly.
>Then a second one took him out of the cast completely.
>
>"Hold That Lion" was aout 1-3 shorts in with Shemp returning as the 3rd stooge.
>
>DMK

"Half Wit's Holiday" was Curly's last stooge short, except for the cameo
appearance in "Hold That Lion."

-- Steve

mlc3s...@my-deja.com

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
In article <01bf0967$f322f860$be9b6420@babster>,
"Lordbyron" <lord...@ibm.net> wrote:
> Does anyone know if Curly had already suffered a stroke when he
appeared as
> the snoring train passenger in Hold that Lion?, with Moe, Larry and
Shemp?

Yes, Curly suffered a major stroke on the set of Half Wit Holidays (1947
or 1948) and several minor ones after that. Curly was scheduled to be
in two Shemp shorts but was cut out of Malice in the Palace. If you
ever see a reproduction of the one sheet, you'll see a small picture of
Curly in chef's hat and floppy mustache. Why it didn't make the final
cut is anyone's guess.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Bobster123

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
>From: Ron Bauerly Ron_B...@ccmail.wiu.edu wrote:

>While still relatively young, Curly clearly
>had poor health for a number of years preceeding the big stroke
>suffered during Half-Wits' Holiday. Director Ed Bernd had serious trouble
>getting
>Curly to learn his lines etc. in the five shorts he shot with him in 45-46.
>Curly was however, quite effective in Micro-phonies and Three Little Pirates.
>Ed said that Moe really helped Curly through his lines and was instrumental
>in
>getting decent performances from an obviously, sub-par Curly.
>
>Ron Bauerly

I can't remember the exact short, but I recall seeing one where you could see
Larry standing behind Curly reading his lines to him.

Chris Gurney

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
According to a biography I read the answer is yes.

Chris
Lordbyron <lord...@ibm.net> wrote in message

> Does anyone know if Curly had already suffered a stroke when he appeared
as
> the snoring train passenger in Hold that Lion?, with Moe, Larry and Shemp?

KUJMAN1

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
>> Does anyone know if Curly had already suffered a stroke when he appeared
>as
>> the snoring train passenger in Hold that Lion?, with Moe, Larry and Shemp?

Jerome (Curly) had been suffering strokes as early as 1941... small at first,
noticible to hardcore fans as the years progress thru out '42'43'44... his
performances at times were strained... leading up to a major stroke that ended
his career sadly. This appearance was merely a moral booster for a depressed
Curly, and filmed on a closed set.

"To be bad mouthed by fools is the same as getting compliments
from wise men......"

pren...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2017, 8:23:17 PM11/7/17
On Tuesday, September 28, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Lordbyron wrote:
> Does anyone know if Curly had already suffered a stroke when he appeared as
> the snoring train passenger in Hold that Lion?, with Moe, Larry and Shemp?
>

> --
> LordByron wishes Adam and Eve many happy returns...
>
> " I am not only the Hair Club president...I am also a member"
> Sheriff Patterson 1967

Yes, Curly had his stroke on the set of Half Wits Holiday, in May, 1946. The scene with Curly as a sleeping train passenger was Shemp's third short with the guys in 1947. Curly had improved after the first stroke, and he married a woman also in 1947, and had a daughter. Sadly, Curly died in January, 1952 at the very young age of 48.

Keith F. Lynch

Nov 21, 2017, 10:33:29 PM11/21/17
<pren...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 28, 1999, Lordbyron wrote:
>> Does anyone know if Curly had already suffered a stroke when he
>> appeared as the snoring train passenger in Hold that Lion?, with
>> Moe, Larry and Shemp?

> Yes, Curly had his stroke on the set of Half Wits Holiday, in May,
> 1946. The scene with Curly as a sleeping train passenger was
> Shemp's third short with the guys in 1947. Curly had improved after
> the first stroke, and he married a woman also in 1947, and had a
> daughter. Sadly, Curly died in January, 1952 at the very young age
> of 48.

Thanks for the info. "Lordbyron" had been waiting patiently for more
than 18 years for that information, since the previous century, since
before Wikipedia, before Facebook, before Twitter, before LinkedIn,
before Google Groups, before Presidents Trump, Obama (both terms),
and Bush (both terms), before some of today's adults had been born.
That's more time than Curly was one of the Stooges, and twice as long
as Shemp was. He asked that question just five years after the last
of the Stooges (Curly Joe) died. "Lordbyron" may have children older
than he was when he asked that question.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/