Ana-cana-pona, Hara-cahn

Alex Chaulk

Jul 20, 1994, 6:00:27 PM7/20/94
Does anyone know the origins of these seemingly meaningless
statements. I remember these phrases when the Stooges would be working on
something that would require the help of another Stooge. Typically, Moe would
be doing something and would yell out "Ana-cana-pona" (I'm trying to spell
it phonetically) and maybe Larry or Curly would hand him something (a
wrench, etc.). Hara-cahn was also used as well in "Stooge-Speak" to identify
something that Moe needed. Oftentimes, I am working on something and will
yell out "Ana-cana-pona". Most people wonder what the hell I am saying but
there are the occasional Stooge-fans who will start to crack up. There's
probably a long-lost story behind these phrases. Anyone know?

Alex

Arkadiusz Wdowiak

Jul 20, 1994, 8:47:50 PM7/20/94

The only thing better IMHO than the Stooges making up goofy mnames for surgery tools is them making up goofy names for chemiclas, like in that episode where they create hte fountain of youth, when they develop a super-duper car fuel, or when they make drinks at the bar...

-Arek Wdowiak
Commodore, Starfleet Command
CO, U.S.S. Yorktown, N.C.C. 1704-A

david s. broudy

Jul 20, 1994, 8:35:50 PM7/20/94
Heh. Remember when they would do things like, er, surgery?

"ancanapooner" "sulfademus" etc...

---------- \=\
bro...@mizar.usc.edu /=/
Warning! Severe Tire Damage! \=\ /=/
Bakla ako, may angal ka? \=\ \=\

Dave Smolinsky

Jul 21, 1994, 7:19:00 AM7/21/94
In article <Alex.Chaulk...@DaytonOH.NCR.COM>,
Alex....@DaytonOH.NCR.COM (Alex Chaulk) wrote:

There was also "Sull-fa-dee-mis", "I-ree-kahn" and in the episode with
Shemp when they're making the "fountain of youth" formula Moe asks for
"Mish-i-gas." The last one is a word from Yiddish I believe. WBCN, a
radio station in Boston, has a quiz program in the morning called Mishigas.
The dj defined it once, but I can't remember. I think it meant something
strange or a puzzlement.

Dave

John Walkenbach

Jul 21, 1994, 8:34:08 PM7/21/94
Alex Chaulk (Alex....@DaytonOH.NCR.COM) wrote:
: Does anyone know the origins of these seemingly meaningless

I'm not sure, but I seem to remember a few of them being pig-latin. Also,
I clearly recall Moe saying "enod" a few times as the last word. This, of
course, is "done" spelled backwards.

John Walkenbach
jw...@crash.cts.com
"BA-Bay, BE-Bee, BI-Bickey-By BO-Bo..."

Dave Bushong

Jul 22, 1994, 4:35:32 PM7/22/94
Alex....@DaytonOH.NCR.COM (Alex Chaulk) writes:

> Does anyone know the origins of these seemingly
>meaningless statements. I remember these phrases when the Stooges
>would be working on something that would require the help of another
>Stooge. Typically, Moe would be doing something and would yell out
>"Ana-cana-pona"

Wasn't that in "Men in Black"? Now I'll have to watch every episode that
I have on tape to be sure. Cool.

Dave

--
Dave Bushong, Wang Imaging

Mark Hanisco

Jul 23, 1994, 2:40:12 PM7/23/94
One of the anna-canna-panna... sequences was when they were docs. Moe
would then say "enod" (already discussed), and then finish it up with
a request for "cotton!". Truly a classic.

Lew Bernstein

Jul 24, 1994, 3:01:43 AM7/24/94

We used to have a dog, (a mutt), whose name was Anna, but her full
names was Anacanapanasan. We named one of the puppies Yingenzomen.

Michael Babyak

Jul 23, 1994, 7:31:01 PM7/23/94
Dave Bushong (dbus...@wang.com) wrote:
: Alex....@DaytonOH.NCR.COM (Alex Chaulk) writes:

: > Does anyone know the origins of these seemingly
: >meaningless statements. I remember these phrases when the Stooges
: >would be working on something that would require the help of another
: >Stooge. Typically, Moe would be doing something and would yell out
: >"Ana-cana-pona"

And don't forget: "COTTON!"

--
Mike Babyak
MBA...@FALCON.CC.UKANS.EDU

pfnew...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2018, 11:58:13 AM8/30/18
There is a small but notable movie distribution company called Annapurna and I always think of the Stooges' anna-cana-pona nonsense word when I see the name!