Stooge's "Three Smart Saps" Rumba

Ben Epstein

Dec 16, 2004, 10:13:33 PM12/16/04
Does anybody know the title to the "Rumba" music in Three Smart Saps
(1942)? Were there any known performers of this piece?

D. Kirkpatrick

Dec 17, 2004, 12:52:25 AM12/17/04
In article <Xns95C1E215D47BEbe...@216.196.97.142>,
Ben Epstein <beps...@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> Does anybody know the title to the "Rumba" music in Three Smart Saps
> (1942)? Were there any known performers of this piece?

I understand its called the "Brazillian Cotillion" but it was a piece
of studio music that may not have been published anywhere.

I always wanted a clip of that for a web site. ;-)

DMK

Ben Epstein

Dec 18, 2004, 9:55:47 PM12/18/04
"D. Kirkpatrick" <sun...@sunclad.com> wrote in news:sunclad-
0379D0.005...@news.verizon.net:

Thanks for the tip. Entry of "Brazilian Cotillion" into Google brings up
the IMDB site's entry for the 1941 film "Blondi Goes Latin", which is a
musical containing a piece of this name. The film's music and lyrics are
by Robert Wright and Chet Forrest. Now I will have to see if the same music
is in this film!
BE

Hal Erickson

Dec 22, 2004, 1:57:57 PM12/22/04
>> I understand its called the "Brazillian Cotillion" but it was a piece
>> of studio music that may not have been published anywhere.
>>
>> I always wanted a clip of that for a web site. ;-)
>>
>> DMK
>
>Thanks for the tip. Entry of "Brazilian Cotillion" into Google brings up
>the IMDB site's entry for the 1941 film "Blondi Goes Latin", which is a
>musical containing a piece of this name. The film's music and lyrics are
>by Robert Wright and Chet Forrest. Now I will have to see if the same music
>is in this film!
>BE

It is--definitely! Penny Singleton dances to it in an elaborate number
towards the end of the film.

A brief snatch of "Brazilian Cotillion" is also heard in BLONDIE FOR
VICTORY. Supporting player Stu Erwin turns on the radio, the tune
starts playing, and he starts nervously pacing to it.
Robert Wright and Chet Forrest? The same guys who did SONG OF NORWAY
and KISMET? That's almost like all those Rodgers and Hart songs that
pop up in the Betty Boop cartoons!

--Hal E

Ben Epstein

Jan 3, 2005, 12:34:04 AM1/3/05
hl...@execpc.com (Hal Erickson) wrote in

Hal - Thanks for the Blondi confirmation. I await my copy of Blondi Goes
Latin. It goes to show how the studios recycled their material. The
Blondi film, also shot at Columbia Studios, came out one year before the
1942 Stooge short.

James Neibaur

Jan 3, 2005, 5:59:44 AM1/3/05
in article Xns95D35C321D35be...@216.196.97.142, Ben Epstein
at beps...@speakeasy.net wrote on 1/2/05 11:34 PM:

> Hal - Thanks for the Blondi confirmation. I await my copy of Blondi Goes
> Latin. It goes to show how the studios recycled their material. The
> Blondi film, also shot at Columbia Studios, came out one year before the
> 1942 Stooge short.

This song is also heard in the background, as if coming from the radio, in
the 1941 Buster Keaton Columbia short "She's Oil Mine."

JN

pbas...@yahoo.com

Feb 4, 2020, 1:51:42 PM2/4/20
I think they should have made a version where a female stooge had her evening gown was only loosely basted and started falling apart on the dancefloor.