Were the stooges on the radio?

Naked Gord

Mar 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/30/99
does anybody know of if the Three Stooges are ever on any old time radio
and where I'd be able to find such gems?

thanks

nakedgord

--
Sm:)e! Naked Gord says Hi! The Naked Gord Program
John Waters, Orson Welles, Allen Ginsberg, Lord Buckley, Ken Nordine

Wedensdays @ 9 p.m. (Classic Radio @ 6 p.m.) on CFBU 103.7 FM
Naked Gord On-Line: http://room101.net/nakedgord

K.B. Cunningham

Mar 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/30/99
nakedgord wrote:

does anybody know of if the Three Stooges are
>ever on any old time radio and where I'd be
>able to find such gems?

I'm be no means a Stooge historian, but I can't recall ever hearing of
the boys on radio and I've been a fan for 35 years.

I DO recall Curly being IN the radio a time or two, courtesy of Moe!

Curly: Shortwave?

Moe: No, PERMANENT!

Regards,
K.B. Cunningham

"I've been travelling these highways,
Been doing things my way;
It's been making me lonesome, orn'ry, and mean"
WGJ

lkjhgfd

Mar 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/31/99
In article <3433-370...@newsd-264.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
outl...@webtv.net (K.B. Cunningham) wrote:

> nakedgord wrote:
>
> does anybody know of if the Three Stooges are
> >ever on any old time radio and where I'd be
> >able to find such gems?
>
> I'm be no means a Stooge historian, but I can't recall ever hearing of
> the boys on radio and I've been a fan for 35 years.

I'd say it's unfathomable that such popular characters never made any sort
of promotional radio appearance. I'm sure there was great demand for them
to do so, both during and after the height of their popularity, despite
their highly visual act (Hell, I told a local DJ about Emil Sitka after
his phone number was posted here and the guy rabidly wanted to get him to
do a phone-in, but Emil unfortunately had his final stroke before I could
help arrange anything).

More to the point, though, I'll concur that I have never run across any
surviving recording of any of the Stooges on radio, and they certainly
never had their own radio series of any kind. Anyone here close enough to
the Library of Congress to research the former?

> I DO recall Curly being IN the radio a time or two, courtesy of Moe!
>
> Curly: Shortwave?
>
> Moe: No, PERMANENT!

Nyuk, nyuk! And don't forget the 70s Three Stooges cartoons, where the
animation was so bad, they were often called "radio with pictures"!

- ali assa seen

Morley Shulman

Mar 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/31/99
I doubt that the Stooges were ever on the radio (aside from an interview
or two) since their humour was visual more than verbal.

Later on when Joe Besser and Curley Joe joined, it had changed to more
of a verbal nature and relied less on slapstick (we can mostly thank the
PTA of America for that! :< ). Later of course, the boys did record a
few children's albums (which were horrible).

Morley

CheshireKatz

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
> More to the point, though, I'll concur that I have never run across
>any surviving recording of any of the Stooges on radio, and they
> certainly never had their own radio series of any kind. Anyone here
>close enough to the Library of Congress to research the former?

Don't have to be close, I'll look it up when I have time. anyone else
that cares to can follow this link:
Search the Library of Congress:
http://lcweb.loc.gov/harvest/query-lc.html

And Archive Films (http://www.archivefilms.com/) might also be worth a
look...

~A.CK

"No matter what hits the fan, it's never distributed evenly."

dog...@ecn.ab.ca

Apr 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/3/99
Naked Gord (nak...@becon.org) wrote:
: does anybody know of if the Three Stooges are ever on any old time radio
: and where I'd be able to find such gems?

: thanks

: nakedgord

I don't know about true old time radio, but in 1971 Moe Howard appeared on
Richard Lamparski's "Whatever Became Of..." radio program. An interesting
show, recorded at Moe's home. That show is circulating among old time
radio collectors, and is worth picking up if you come across it.

--Brian

Hal Erickson

Apr 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/3/99
dog...@ecn.ab.ca () wrote:

Moe was also on "The Eddie Schwartz Show", an overnight program on
Chicago's old WIND (before it went all-Spanish). It must have been
just before he died. His voice was unsteady, but his memories were
sharp. He also had some bitter things to say about the (then) lack of
a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame for the Stooges--something along
the lines of "They can take that five-pointed star and stick it... one
point at a time."

Ed Schwartz has been very ill of late and hasn't been heard on radio
recently (at least, I can no longer pick him up in Milwaukee). I do
know that he used to keep a fairly extensive collection of interview
tapes. Interested parties might want to contact the staff of Chicago's
Museum of Broadcasting (I don't have the phone number handy, but I
think that they have a website)...maybe they could track down
Schwartz, or maybe they could locate a copy of the interview.

--Hal E

Opencity

Apr 4, 1999, 4:00:00 AM4/4/99
I had asked this question before and could not find an answer suggesting the
Stooges ever appeared on radio. No biographical text on the team suggests an
appearance on old-time radio, which is not surprising since theirs was
primarily a visual knockabout comedy. I would imagine they did some radio
appearances later on, when Curly-Joe was with them and they were making
features, but I don't have any confirmation on this either.

www.stoogetattoos.com

Apr 4, 1999, 4:00:00 AM4/4/99
I have 7 or 8 radio interviews of both Moe And Larry taped between 1971 &
1974. The quality of the tapes is terrible but worth a listen. Larry is
contacted while living in the retirement home and Moe was at home,lots of
laughs. As far as being on radio like many comedians got their start NO.

Trent

Garystooge

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99
Other than the Moe and Larry radio interviews in the 1970's, I'm not aware of
the Stooges as a group appearing on radio. However, Joe Besser as a solo made
numerous radio appearances during the 1940's and 1950's which still survive. If
anyone is interested I can post details of the radio programs featuring Besser
that I'm aware of.

JShemansky

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
I'd love to hear some Joe Besser appearances on radio other than the usual
interviews. Jim Shemansky

jshem...@aol.com

phant...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2019, 12:47:52 AM6/2/19