Groucho, Communism and my take

Dpagates

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
OK, I read the article too on Groucho being investigated. Here are exerpts and
questions:

>> He defended free speech and U.S.-Soviet friendship. He had opinions on
everything from the New Deal to the United Nations.

Defended free speech? OK by me. US-Soviet "friendship"? What did he say about
that, especially in th 50's when there was no friendship? Currently, everyone
has an opinion on the UN.

>>Documents recently made public show the FBI kept detailed files on the
comedian, ranging from his supportive quote about the Scottsboro Boys in the
1930s to jokes made on television in the '50s and '60s.

Who were the Scottsboro Boys? And what kind of jokes on TV put him under
investigation?

>>With the unintentional humor of a Marx brothers villain, the bureau is still
withholding several pages ``in the interest of national defense or foreign
policy.''

What the hell is that all about!!?? You got some hayseed wagging the dog in
Bosnia, Yugoslavia, Kosovo or whatever and ancient files on a deceased comedian
must be secret "in the interest of national defense or foreign policy"??!!
Heck, send Milosvic or Hussein the files on Groucho. Send them to Yeltsin!!
Like I'd be afraid for our soil if they were released. Geez, what a bunch of
hanger-ons in the govt. that must keep these things secret ONLY because that's
their job. Downsize these pinheads and release previously "secret" files.

>> He would become a dependable member of Hollywood's liberal community,
supporting the New Deal and other causes.

Must have been a lot of Commies in the US back then because a lot of people
supported the New Deal. You mean those people in the archival footage in soup
lines were commies?

>>Jerry Fielding, bandleader for the comedian's TV game show ``You Bet Your
Life.''
Fielding, who had been tagged as a Communist sympathizer in Walter Winchell's
syndicated column, would later say the committee wanted him to name Groucho as
a fellow traveler. Fielding refused and the show's sponsor, DeSoto-Plymouth
Dealers of America, persuaded Groucho to fire him.

Was Walter Winchell the chief accuser back then? I thought McCarthy and/or his
committee was? As for above, what does name Groucho as a fellow "traveler"
mean? Traveler??

>>According to the FBI files, Groucho's alleged offenses date back to a 1934
article in the Communist Party newspaper the Daily Worker. The article claims
he called Communist support for the Scottsboro Boys an inspiration for ``Soviet
America.'' He was also quoted as defending Tom Mooney, a labor leader then
imprisoned, and later pardoned, for the bombing deaths of 10 people.

OK, that tarnished my impression of him. The Daily Worker's article is only a
"claim" but if he supported this Mooney guy, and he was convicted...well how
can you defend a murderer?

>>In the '40s, Groucho attended a benefit concert for Soviet war relief, helped
sponsor a fundraiser for the liberal magazine The Nation and opposed United
Nations recognition for the fascist government of Spain. He was also a member
of the Committee for the First Amendment, an anti-HUAC organization that
included Frank Sinatra, Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.

Soviet war relief in the 40's? What was that, for the civilians after the war?
And let's certainly open up any FBI files on Sinatra and Bacall too!

>>``They concluded from their study he was not a member of the Communist
Party,'' Wiener said. ``The party was a very rigid organization; it's hard to
imagine a wisecracking spirit like Groucho's in it.''

I find that hilarious! Can anyone knowledgeable fill me in on facts/details?

Don

Sudude69

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
investigated by the FBI as a Communist is to remember McCarthyism. It was a
more idealistic time
(depending on whose viewpoint you side with)
and not much was known about the Red Menace except that it's influence spread
across Eastern Europe and Asia. The Communists were a Godless horde ready to
ride roughshod over everything.

There have been a few posts weighing in on this before, particularly the
similarities between Groucho and Charlie Chaplin, who was vocally against the
witch hunt at the time.

Cynics on this group have said that Chaplin was guilty of statuatory rape.
Groucho also
had a predilection for younger women, albeit they were slightly older and
therefore legal.
Regardless, they were both outspoken in their opposition of the HUAC. The
differences lay in their respective approaches.

Chaplin chose to be up-front. Groucho, who had greater name recognition with
"You Bet Your Life" could afford to be a little more subtle; he always spoke in
entendres.

I always thought that the witch hunt then and the OIC now have many
similarities.

Frank Cabanski

Sep 27, 2021, 3:35:34 AM9/27/21
On Friday, October 30, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Sudude69 wrote:
> investigated by the FBI as a Communist is to remember McCarthyism. It was a
> more idealistic time

McCarthyism - when a handfull of actual Soviet operatives who worked for the U.S. government were investigated with the goal of removing them from working in positions in the U.S. government,