Groucho remembered - 19 August 1977

Dana Schwartz

Aug 19, 2014, 7:17:06 AM8/19/14
Echoing down the empty canyons of alt.comedy.marx-bros, I remember the
day in 1977 that we lost one of the funniest men of the (mostly) 20th
century. No, not Elvis - although he was pretty funny when he tried
to cajole Nixon to make him some kind of unofficial Drug Czar!

The death of Robin Williams this past week is a reminder that the ones
who *really* make us laugh out loud are rare in this world. Thank
goodness we still have video of their greatest routines, films and
interviews.

Shout out to Pete, Roger, Frank and anyone else who still drops in to
see if somebody posts something. :-)

Dana Schwartz

cruciverbalist

Aug 31, 2014, 5:00:56 PM8/31/14
I try to check in on this group at least once every two weeks, if not
weekly. Groucho is one of my all-time faves. Not trying to start an
argument, but I was never a fan of RW. For some reason he never
*really* made me laugh out loud the way that Groucho (and Chico for
that matter) did. YMMV, of course.

Jack

Keith D. Lee

Sep 1, 2014, 7:53:17 AM9/1/14
Jack:
You are so right. RW was funny; but, Groucho, Chico, Harpo, and Zeppo made me laugh more. :-)

Keith D. Lee

Pete The Upstart

Sep 2, 2014, 4:34:33 PM9/2/14
Thanks Dana, Jack and Keith for stopping by.

I liked Robin Williams went he first started out. He was just so crazy the way he could improvise. I think that Groucho would have approved. It was such a sad ending for a funny guy. RIP

David LaRue

Sep 2, 2014, 9:09:12 PM9/2/14
Pete The Upstart <peter...@hotmail.com> wrote in
Robin Williams provided many laughs over the years for me. He was so
prolific with his life.

I too have to profess that the Marx Brothers were able to provide more
belly laughs per performance.

They all live on in our memories and their performances.

I don't post here often, but would like to say that the regulars here
have provided many laughs over the years.

To quote Red Skelton, "God Bless!"