Kewpie Morgan?

SodaPopShopInc

Dec 25, 2002, 10:33:14 AM12/25/02
Does anyone know anything on this "little" or "big" known actor who played the
King in Babes in Toyland?
I have been trying to find out information for years.
Where was he born, when did he die, how did he die etc....?

Thanks
Bobby

James L. Neibaur

Dec 25, 2002, 10:49:24 AM12/25/02
Unfortunately Kewpie is a Lost Player. Many of us have been trying to dig up
info on him for years.

JN

Please visit the most poorly designed web pages online:

my Favorite Movies web page:
http://hometown.aol.com/jimneibr/myhomepage/movies.html

and my Favorite Performers web page:
http://hometown.aol.com/jimneibr/myhomepage/rant.html

Tommie Hicks, Jr.

Dec 25, 2002, 9:13:39 PM12/25/02
jimn...@aol.comomomomo (James L. Neibaur) wrote in message news:<20021225104924...@mb-cd.aol.com>...

> Unfortunately Kewpie is a Lost Player. Many of us have been trying to dig up
> info on him for years.
>
> JN

Quite right, info on this man is very elusive. The earliest info I
have on him is he played the "heavy" in a series of Clover comedies
with Bud Duncan and Dot Farley in 1917. For years I thought he was
Oliver Hardy in Keaton's THREE AGES. He was Sennett's mainstay heavy
from around '23 to '26. After that it seems he freelanced for various
studios. His real name was Horace Morgan and if your in California
the Bureau of Vital statistics might be able to tell you when he died
provided he died there.

Tommie Hicks

James L. Neibaur

Dec 26, 2002, 7:42:37 AM12/26/02
>His real name was Horace Morgan and if your in California
>the Bureau of Vital statistics might be able to tell you when he died
>provided he died there.

Showbiz necrologists like Billy Doyle have not found death info on Morgan, so
it is likely his name is not found among the California stats.

Matt Barry

Dec 26, 2002, 10:11:39 AM12/26/02
homes...@netburner.net (Tommie Hicks, Jr.) wrote in message news:<d018c63d.02122...@posting.google.com>...

I know there has long been much confusion as to whether it's Kewpie
Morgan or Oliver Hardy in a number of 1920s short comedies. I know
that he plays the Roman emperor in Keaton's THREE AGES, but isn't
Hardy in the cast as well? In the filmography published in Marion
Meade's CUT TO THE CHASE, Hardy is credited as the "Villain's Roman
helper."

Matt

Tommie Hicks, Jr.

Dec 26, 2002, 3:12:44 PM12/26/02
> I know there has long been much confusion as to whether it's Kewpie
> Morgan or Oliver Hardy in a number of 1920s short comedies. I know
> that he plays the Roman emperor in Keaton's THREE AGES, but isn't
> Hardy in the cast as well? In the filmography published in Marion
> Meade's CUT TO THE CHASE, Hardy is credited as the "Villain's Roman
> helper."
>
> Matt

Oliver Hardy is NOT in THE THREE AGES. Kewpie Morgan plays three
parts in this film:

Joe Robert's friend in the Stone Age segment.

Joe Robert's minion in the Roman segment.

The big cop chasing Keaton in the '20s segment.

Morgan is often confused as Hardy in many silent comedies and some
home movie retailers took advantage of this saying he was Hardy to
sell more prints of a title with Morgan in it.

Since my last posting I have found out that the earliest known Kewpie
credits are films for Lubin's west coast studio in 1916.

Tommie Hicks

Matt Barry

Dec 29, 2002, 12:40:37 AM12/29/02
homes...@netburner.net (Tommie Hicks, Jr.) wrote in message news:<d018c63d.02122...@posting.google.com>...

I would have doubted the authenticity of the claim that it is Hardy in
THREE AGES except it appeared in the Keaton filmography published in
CUT TO THE CHASE which seemed very credible.
But anyways thanks for clearing that up.

Matt

Richard M Roberts

Jan 1, 2003, 1:56:56 AM1/1/03

Kewpie Morgan was born in Anna, Texas, date unknown but sometime in the
late 1890's. he worked in Vaudeville before breaking into movies in his
teens in the teens as an extra. Worked for Lubin and Universal before
the Clover Comedies with Bud Duncan and Dot Farley in 1917 for the
National Film Corporation. Morgan also worked with Duncan and Farley in
the 1921 "Bud and His Buddies" series for Reelcraft which were filmed in
Denver (I have a print of one of these: POOR RICH CLEANERS).

Working for a number of comedy companies like Fox, CBC, and Universal in
the late-teens/early twenties, Morgan replaced Kalla Pasha as Mack
Sennett's favorite heavy around 1922, and worked for Sennett steadily
until 1926. Morgan not only worked with Keaton in the aforementioned THE
THREE AGES, but also appeared with Monty Banks in ATTA BOY (Pathe'
1926), Syd Chaplin in THE BETTER OLE' (Warner Bros 1927), and Larry
Semon in SPUDS(Pathe 1927) where he also essentially played the Oliver
Hardy part. Kewpie also has a good dramatic role as a menacing tramp in
BEGGARS OF LIFE (Paramount 1928) with Wallace Beery and Louise Brooks.

As talkies came in, Morgan continued to find work in two-reel comedies
at Roach, Educational, Paramount and Hal Roach, as well as a number of B
westerns. The one potential death date I've ever found on him is 1958
strangely enough, but it may have been a typo for 1938, since I've found
no film roles for him after that year. In any event, I've found no
confirmed date of death for him.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

James L. Neibaur

Jan 1, 2003, 3:32:08 AM1/1/03
Richard stated:

>The one potential death date I've ever found on him is 1958
>strangely enough, but it may have been a typo for 1938, since I've found
>no film roles for him after that year. In any event, I've found no
>confirmed date of death for him.

There are a handful of players whose death dates I can't find. Kewpie Morgan
is one of them.

Where did you find the 1958 death date? He could conceivably have left films
in '38 and lived until '58 (which would mean he died in his early sixties).

JN

Visit my recently redesigned web pages!!

Richard M Roberts

Jan 1, 2003, 3:06:34 PM1/1/03
James L. Neibaur wrote:

> Richard stated:
>
> >The one potential death date I've ever found on him is 1958
> >strangely enough, but it may have been a typo for 1938, since I've found
> >no film roles for him after that year. In any event, I've found no
> >confirmed date of death for him.
>
> There are a handful of players whose death dates I can't find. Kewpie Morgan
> is one of them.
>
> Where did you find the 1958 death date? He could conceivably have left films
> in '38 and lived until '58 (which would mean he died in his early sixties).
>
> JN

I was searching for that last night when I wrote the above. It's just in
my own notes on Morgan. I'll keep you posted.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

kewpiem...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2015, 5:38:47 AM12/2/15
As far as I know, my great uncle Kewpie Morgan was born in Collin County Texas In Anna Texas 1892.
I have just started his biography or his history of a time that I remember he was my best buddy from 1936 to his death in 1956!!?
If you or anyone else who has or can dig up any photos or clipping or publicity about the some 104+/-films he was in or wrote or directed, produced, promoted!? Particularly his days 1900 to 1936!?

William J Zeidlik Jr JD at wzei...@gmail.com
or my writer's email address kewpiem...@gmail.com

bartm...@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2019, 12:02:42 AM12/1/19
Horace was my step grandfather. He was my grandfather's first cousin. Grandfather Eldred Morgan died in 1936 the same year Horace came back to Dallas to help take care of his widowed mother. Horace married Eldred's widow Hassie in 1949. He is buried at Highland Cemetery near Anna, Texas I have several of his movie still photos.
Bart Morgan n2...@yahoo.com