Online Sitcom Writing Class Begins This Week; Turn Your Skill Into $$$

sitcom...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2014, 12:13:56 PM4/17/14
Learn sitcom writing from someone with actual credits without spending a fortune!

The six-week online course will enable students to interact with an industry pro, and will teach fundamentals and flourishes of creating a great sitcom script, how to write great jokes and create comic characters, get an agent, and sell your material.

Here is a description:

Breaking Into Sitcom Writing

Learn from a veteran TV comedy writer how to write professional sitcom scripts and how to break into show business. In this six-week online course, you'll discover the artistic and technical considerations that go into making a great sitcom script. You'll master the art of creating concise, sparkling dialogue and telling your story completely through jokes. You'll get easy-to-follow instructions for using sitcom characters to their fullest, creating powerful storylines, and selling your ideas to existing shows.

You'll pick up tricks of the trade and learn to avoid mistakes that mark you as an amateur. And you'll come to understand what happens to your script once you sell it, what happens in a sitcom writers' room, and what happens during the rewrite and punch-up process. Discover from an insider what it takes to get a job in this expanding and lucrative field!

Syllabus:

Week One Wednesday - Lesson 01 In this first lesson, you'll learn to
decipher the credits on a "crawl" and see just who the writers are in
a sitcom. (Just a hint: There are more writers involved than meet the
eye!) You'll also discover what makes up a sitcom--all sitcoms share
certain important characteristics, and if you use these principles as
a guiding framework, you'll have a much easier time keeping your
story on the right track. You'll also get some practice sharpening your
funny bone and enhancing the creative process. So please join us on
this first step to breaking into sitcom writing!

Friday - Lesson 02 The difference between sitting in front of your
television saying, "I could write that," and actually doing it is
knowing how. Today we're going to tackle the most basic and most
important elements of creating a sitcom: story, theme, and structure.
In this lesson, I'll show you how and why sitcom stories work and how
they fit into the broader context of who we, as storytelling people,
have always been.

Week Two Wednesday - Lesson 03 In sitcoms, all the comedy--in fact,
every story idea--has its basis in character. In this lesson, you'll
get a solid understanding of character and learn how to layer this
all-important variable on story, theme, and structure. By mixing them
together, you'll see just how sitcom stories are created. Is it
complicated? It can be. But I'll give you a tool that will make the
hardest part of sitcom writing simple.

Friday - Lesson 04 Today we're going to look at the engines that run
your story: action and jeopardy. You'll discover how to create action
in scenes, how scenes build to acts, and how acts build to full
stories. You'll add conflict and tension to your repertoire of sitcom
writing tools to create well-paced stories that keep the audience
rooting for your hero. And since sitcoms often involve a handful of
characters, we'll talk about subplots, which will help keep all your
characters involved when the story may not be about them.

Week Three Wednesday - Lesson 05 Dialogue makes up the bulk of any
teleplay--yet it differs in every way possible from conversation,
which is what it's supposed to sound like. Today we're going to take
a look at what dialogue really is and what it must accomplish for the
writer, while seeming to sound perfectly natural and funny. It's a
lotto ask for, but you'll learn how to look at dialogue differently and
use it to best effect.

Friday - Lesson 06 Often, the TV audience will need certain story
information--say, about the past or something going on in another
location--that you can't show directly. This information is called
"exposition," and it's the hardest kind of material to get across in
a way that doesn't sound clunky, forced, or amateurish. So today we'll
explore ways to include this kind of information that are simple,
elegant, and will give your scripts a professional air.

Week Four Wednesday - Lesson 07 As a television writer, you're not
alone in your task of delivering a funny, intriguing, and watchable
story. You have partners: the actors. In this lesson, we'll delve
into that creative partnership and see how to best serve the actors who
will be reading your words. You'll learn how to enrich the dialogue
and its performance, make the most of text and subtext, and get your
story to come across the way you envision it.

Friday - Lesson 08 The one thing you knew about sitcoms before you
began this class was that they make people laugh. Just as an opera
tells a story in song, so a sitcom tells a story in jokes. Today
we're going to take an in-depth look at the art of joke-writing. You'll see
how jokes work, learn how to make them funnier still, and discover a
range of possibilities you might not have considered to expand your
humor repertoire.

Week Five Wednesday - Lesson 09 The collaboration you enter into as a
sitcom writer will involve everyone who works on your show. Each
script you write needs to tell all the technical people who make the
show possible just how it should look, feel, and sound. In today's
lesson, you'll learn to professionally format a sitcom script so that
just what you want to express will be clear to everyone.

Friday - Lesson 10 How do you go from wanting to be a sitcom writer
to watching the first sitcom you've written air on network TV? Today
you'll find out! You'll learn how to successfully negotiate all the
steps that will get you there: writing a great spec script,
negotiating your pitch meeting by creating a winning three-minute
pitch, writing an outline that's just what the show is looking for,
and creating two great drafts of your script.

Week Six Wednesday - Lesson 11 The journey from page to stage can be
a surprising one, so it's best to be prepared. Today you'll see what
happens to your finished script once you turn it in and collect your
paycheck. We'll start by going inside the Writers' Room and taking a
look at the rewrite and punch-up process. Next, we'll walk over to
the rehearsal stage to learn about the rehearsal process and what the
writer's job is in it. And last, we'll go to the final filming of the
show, where sitcom writers polish until the very last moment.

Friday - Lesson 12 In our final lesson, we'll explore the steps
you'll take to safeguard your work against plagiarism, including registering
it with the Writers Guild. You'll also learn how to get an agent--or
at least get your work into the hands of someone who can actually
give you an assignment. Then you'll see what's involved in trying to get a
job. And we'll wrap everything up by looking at the kinds of personal
attributes it takes to be a successful sitcom writer.

To register, please go to :

http://www.ed2go.com/cgi-bin/ed2go/newcrsdes.cgi?course=bsw&title=Bre...Sitcom^Writing^&departmentnum=PW

Student Reviews:

"Identifying the different types of jokes...really helps build a sort
of comic palette - different things to try and blend until you've got
something great."

"I did learn plenty of things about the very special process of
creating sitcom scripts that I am confident will help me in future
writing."

"I found it enjoyable, and informative. I think I got a lot from it,
which will help me as a writer."

"I have learned a lot. You really helped me visualize being in a
sitcom writer's shoes."

"I loved the course and especially Mindy's complete coverage of the
television writing industry, with anecdotes. I received a lot of
helpful information, especially for an introductory course."

"Interesting and valuable information. Whether or not I ever write a
sitcom it can only enhance my other freelance writing projects. Mindy
is a wonderful instructor."

" I think out of all the online classes, this has been the most
challenging, but it has been fun as well."

"I thought that the class was very informative. Mindy was prompt in
answering any questions that we had and in offering suggestions to
improve our scripts."

"I want to thank you for your help, guidance and inspiration. You
have
a great attitude and it shows in how much you love the world of
sitcom."

"Loved Chapter 3. The way good character structure can take you by
the hand and lead you right to a story is fascinating. It's like working
a jigsaw puzzle. These valuable building tools are priceless. Woohoo~"

"Thank you for putting this course together. It has been very helpful
and I've learned so very much. While it won't be an easy road, I know
I'll make it! "

"Your personal anecdotes shared with us added to the credibility you
brought to this online classroom. Your detailed critiques of our
writing attempts were well-analyzed and delivered promptly,"

"I loved the course and especially Mindy's complete coverage of the
television writing industry, with anecdotes. I received a lot of
helpful information, especially for an introductory course."

"Interesting and valuable information. Whether or not I ever write a
sitcom it can only enhance my other freelance writing projects. Mindy
is a wonderful instructor."

"I found it enjoyable, and informative. I think I got a lot from it,
which will help me as a writer."

"Great class! I learned so much. I feel I am much more prepared to
put out a sitcom script and be taken seriously than I was before.
Thanks."

"I would like to say thank yo for giving such great lessons and tips
on creating a solid sitcom script. I will take what I learned here
and hopefully create a great spec script."

For complete information, and to register, check the course
description at:

http://www.ed2go.com/cgi-bin/ed2go/newcrsdes.cgi?course=bsw&title=Bre...Sitcom^Writing^&departmentnum=PW