#fIRCign-16May2002-1 of 2

KenD

May 17, 2002, 8:37:51 PM5/17/02
Log Opened: Thu May 16 20:04:37 2002
*** Now talking in #firesign
*** Mode change "+n" by kend^logging
*** Topic changed to "RIP Lew Tebbetts, a/k/a TinyDrTim. You will be
missed, dear friend." by kend^logging
*** Join: Dexter_Fong (~A...@209-122-223-14.s2220.apx1.nyw.ny.dialup.rcn.com)
<Dexter_Fong> Hi Kend^...you around?
<Dexter_Fong> Or a square?
*** Join: kend^ (K...@1Cust120.tnt1.three-rivers.mi.da.uu.net)
*** Mode change "+o Dexter_Fong" by kend^logging
*** Mode change "+o kend^" by kend^logging
<Dexter_Fong> Op yourself Ken
<kend^> up yourself, too :)
<kend^> oh, you said "op" not "up"
<Dexter_Fong> Ken thanks for the email forward and nice post on the NG
*** Join: bfwestley (~wes...@isis.visi.com)
<kend^> sure thing, ash
<Dexter_Fong> Hi Brian
<kend^> hi brian
<bfwestley> hullo
*** Mode change "+o bfwestley" by kend^
*** Join: cease_ (csi...@h24-78-175-77.vn.shawcable.net)
<kend^> a rather somber occasion tonight
<Dexter_Fong> Hi Cat
*** Mode change "+o cease_" by kend^
<bfwestley> yep
<kend^> evenin, cat
<Dexter_Fong> Yeah =(
<cease_> kend, dex, bf
<cease_> i spent the last half hour listening to Tiny's voice
<cease_> he did a scene for Red Shift and i've made an mp3 of it
<kend^> i never met him in person, never talked to him, but felt i knew
him well. besides the irc chat, we used to icq chat quite a bit
<cease_> would like to put it up on the Red Shift website
<bfwestley> what part, cat?
<kend^> have you posted it somewhere?
<cease_> the plays the Vietnam Vet on the radio call in show
<cease_> i wrote that part specially for him
<cease_> with his background in Vietnam
<bfwestley> ah
<cease_> i had another Viet vet friend of mine play the JPL man he's
arguing with on the phone show
<kend^> he and i talked about that era. many memories on his part, for sure
<cease_> were you in vietnam, kend?
<kend^> no, cat, the draft and war ended while i was in basic training
<cease_> lucky man
<kend^> i was drafted during that era, but squeaked out of the war
<Dexter_Fong> Great timing Ken
<kend^> someone higher than i was looking out for me i guess
<cease_> tiny, perhaps
<bfwestley> I found an IRC from 1999 where TDT mentions being 51, so he
was 53 or 54
<cease_> and damned proud of it
<Dexter_Fong> Rather young by my standards =(
<kend^> yeah, brian, i was thinking 54. i will be 50 next month, i
remember him having 3-4 years on me
<cease_> he liked being the oldest person on our irc group
<kend^> has anyone heard anything back from peg/connie after the first
email?
<Dexter_Fong> Don't tell him how old I am
<cease_> not i
<cease_> i think she has enough on her plate without emailing us
<kend^> probably so, cat
<bfwestley> yeah, she had some kind of heart attack herself
<kend^> i did write her back a personal note, real short and to the
point, expressing my sympathies and hopes for her quick recovery
<cease_> what a shock, coming home from work and finding tiny dead
<cease_> as did i, and probably most of us
<cease_> Fumiyo was at work yesterday after I told her about Tiny's
death in the morning and she feared coming up last night and finding Me dead
<kend^> that might be enough to shock many of us into some bad reaction too
<kend^> an irrational and understandable reaction, cat
<kend^> no one ever said we are rational beings
*** Join: stephnfosterkane (~da...@p02-09.stamford.dialin.ntplx.com)
<kend^> hi klok
<cease_> death is only rational in some other dimension
*** Mode change "+o stephnfosterkane" by kend^
*** Join: Mr_Yamamoto (Mr_Ya...@AC8E4434.ipt.aol.com)
<kend^> hi mr.y
*** Mode change "+o Mr_Yamamoto" by kend^
<Mr_Yamamoto> Oh shit
*** stephnfosterkane is now known as klokwkdog
<kend^> cat, it's the only logical end to life. but it's hardly ever
expected
<klokwkdog> yes, very much so, Mr. Y
<Mr_Yamamoto> Damn
<kend^> mr.y, why "oh shit"?
<kend^> you didn't know yet?
<klokwkdog> not briefed
<Mr_Yamamoto> This is the First I'd heard
<Mr_Yamamoto> They never e-mail into the hills
<kend^> i should have added you to my email address list when you sent
me something last week, you would have been alerted then
<cease_> it's hard to imagine an irc without Tiny
<klokwkdog> it just hurts extra hard
<cease_> all the work he put into the Easy Read just for us
<Mr_Yamamoto> Y
<kend^> lew's wit was sometimes sharp, but never cutting or mean
<cease_> very true
<klokwkdog> gigantic sense of humor, much bigger than most other guys'
<klokwkdog> has anyone heard more from Connie?
<kend^> mr.y: private me with your email, i'll send you the original
email if you wish
* Dexter_Fong back..Hi Klok and MY
<kend^> format: /msg kend^ <message>
<klokwkdog> oh, sorry; hello cat, ash, bfw, Ken & Yam.
<cease_> hi klok
<bfwestley> well, now it's quiet...
<Dexter_Fong> Quite a difference from last week, huh? =(
<kend^> i'm back, was emailing mr.y
<kend^> yep, dex, a black cloud passed over the sun, for sure
<Mr_Yamamoto> I'm inattentive-I'm d/l ing "Lucia de Lammermour"
<bfwestley> freditor & chris P will hold down firezine (with some help
from me); freditor is trying to contact john turner, who did the
original firezine website
<Dexter_Fong> Kinda getthe feeling that everyone would like to break out
and laugh again, but....
<cease_> who is john turner?
<Mr_Yamamoto> Jesus he was on just last week
<Dexter_Fong> Who dat MY?
<Dexter_Fong> I mean his nick
<kend^> no, mr. y, not tdt, i looked at log, it was week before when he
was last with us
<cease_> who's gonna handle planet proctor?
<bfwestley> did original firezine website, cat
<Mr_Yamamoto> TDT
<Mr_Yamamoto> Must be INSANE
<bfwestley> planet proctor is open; anyone wanna take it?
<Dexter_Fong> Not required but it helps MY
<cease_> a friend of fred and chris?
<kend^> we are all insane, some will admit it, some won't
<bfwestley> I think so, cat
<kend^> dex: i think lew would want us to laugh, but it's damned
difficult to want to
<bfwestley> kend, I would think that the web IRC transcript will migrate
to firezine eventually
<Mr_Yamamoto> I'm not really up for it
<bfwestley> I mean where it gets posted
<kend^> brian, i can forward to anyone as long as i do it, that's not a
problem at all
<bfwestley> plus on alt.comedy.firesgn-thtre
<bfwestley> I figured
<kend^> until/unless i hear otherwise, i'll put it up on ng every week
<bfwestley> that'd be fine
<bfwestley> we just can't update it on tiny's site, of course
<kend^> my email address will be on each post, when someone speaks up
and says they want it, i will forward
<kend^> unless connie has the password(s) needed and would let someone
assume it. is that a possibility?
<bfwestley> does anyone know if tiny used a script to e.g. label names
and extract URLs?
<klokwkdog> is Doc around, was he notified? I'm sure, but just checking
<kend^> nin0 sent him some sort of script that he used i think
<bfwestley> possible, kend, but someone would have to take over the site
itself, too
<kend^> i sent doc the email, klok
<klokwkdog> ah
<bfwestley> doc knows, and I sent email to the firesign guys, proctor
just read it this morning
<kend^> i had no idea who else connie sent it to, i'm sure some of you
got it from her and me
<Dexter_Fong> Believe DT said on NG he'd be here tonight
<bfwestley> I also sent to sam longoria
<cease_> i just got a phone call from doc who can't get on tonight. he
wants someone to call him and tell him what server they are on.
<cease_> can you do that, bf? kend?
<kend^> cat, i'm dialup, will screw up log if i have to get off
<bfwestley> I came in on liberty.nj.us.dal.net
<cease_> bf?
<bfwestley> I can call him, got his number handy?
<cease_> can you call him and tell him that, bf? yes , it's XXX-XXX-XXXX
<kend^> cat, should i edit that number out of the log before posting?
<bfwestley> I was just about to ask/say the same
<bfwestley> BRB
<kend^> i will do it. not sure i'd want my # floating around the world
accessible to anyone with a computer
<cease_> probably a good idea, kend
<klokwkdog> i am on glass.dal.net on dialup from Redding, CT
*** Join: Bubbas_Brain (Bubba...@151-pool10.ras10.inind.tii-dial.net)
<kend^> i think the only one i mailed to who isn't here or hasn't been
heard from is rotonoto
<kend^> hi B_B
<Dexter_Fong> Hi B{B
*** Mode change "+o Bubbas_Brain" by kend^
<klokwkdog> hello BB
<cease_> what are dex and klok on
<cease_> bb
<cease_> what's your dalnet server, bb?
<klokwkdog> speed...NOT
<Bubbas_Brain> holy shit.
<cease_> i heard from rotonoto
<kend^> klokwkdog using games.it.eu.dal.net
<kend^> kend^ using jade.va.us.dal.net
<Dexter_Fong> Cat: unnc.dal.net..if that's the answer to your question
<klokwkdog> kwd didn't get what was asked for...
<cease_> just so doc has some options
<cease_> he's been trying to get on since 6 with no luck
<Bubbas_Brain> dragons.ga.
<kend^> Mr_Yamamoto using powertech.no.eu.dal.net
<kend^> kend^logging using dragons.ga.us.dal.net
<kend^> quite a few choices there
<klokwkdog> the EUs are among us - Glass passed on me to italian gameish
types
<kend^> it's a crapshoot, klok
<Dexter_Fong> Or Bacce Ball
<kend^> remember the stones song: you don't always get what you want,
but you always get what you need
<Bubbas_Brain> Had a hard time connecting... everyone's full.
<klokwkdog> well, the crap part is right
<klokwkdog> I want an AMERICAN server
<kend^> filled with taiwanese chips?
<Mr_Yamamoto> Mmmmmmm Tiawanese chips
<Mr_Yamamoto> Soy sauce flavour
<kend^> with mexican salsa? yummy
<cease_> if you try some time, you just might find, you get what you need
<Dexter_Fong> Tiawana Chips?
<kend^> thanks, cat, i am not a huge stones fan, knew it wasn't exactly
right
<cease_> Ponch and Mao, together again
<kend^> i did see them live once (for free!)
<cease_> i saw them live, for A LOT OF MONEY
<kend^> mick is even uglier in person than in pictures or tv
<Dexter_Fong> Man, you know how to work the system, K
<kend^> well, it was somewhat shady, mailman gave me neighbor's mail by
mistake, 3 tickies :) if i had been real honest back then, i would have
walked over and given to him
<bfwestley> HELP FOR DOC: has anyone gotten on after having problems
tonight?
<cease_> bb
<kend^> brian, i got on both times with no problem
<Dexter_Fong> Ihad to try like 6 or 7 times before connecting and
staying connected
<Mr_Yamamoto> I got on, But I was told I was killfiled
<kend^> dex, i felt sorry for him for a while, but my wife and i picked
up a hitchhiker that traded us 2 hits of acid for the 3rd ticket, so all
guilt passed rather quickly
* Dexter_Fong shakes head and grins wryly (K)
<kend^> i think that was the last time i ever did that stuff. 78 or 79 i
think?
<Bubbas_Brain> Yeah, I got on after about a dozen retrys -- dragons.ga....
<Dexter_Fong> Then you got straight?K
<klokwkdog> with 6 retries, you get eggroll
<kend^> well, dex, i stopped the "hard" stuff, stuck with the rollable
stuff for many years after that
<kend^> even though it's been a while since i've been stoned, i think
tonight in tiny's memory, i would if i could
<Dexter_Fong> You want retried with that eggroll, Klok?
<klokwkdog> kind person loaning me dialup reminds me that cannot pick up
fone and call DT (none of this cable modem crap)
<Dexter_Fong> retries
<klokwkdog> i'm just a retread on the Ford Explorer of life...
<bfwestley> doc says he can't get on
<cease_> it was great we were able to get stoned with tiny for the
seattle shows
<Bubbas_Brain> refried with eggroll???? mixing cultures, aren't you?
* klokwkdog is beginning to get that impression, bfw
<bfwestley> Dexter, how did you finally get on? Doc tried your server
but kept getting peer resets
<cease_> on any server?
<Dexter_Fong> B_B: Hey is this the great cultural melting pot, or what?
<klokwkdog> no wonder, the way he is always insulting the House of
Lords, bfw
<bfwestley> doc gets a message that he needs identD turned on or he gets
kicked off right away
<kend^> have him try random server. irc.dal.net
<klokwkdog> Oh, I get that
<klokwkdog> yes!
<cease_> he told me that too but i have no idea what that means
<Dexter_Fong> BF: Just kept trying first one server, than another,
etc...luck? prolly
<bfwestley> dexter, what kind of problems did you get?
<kend^> from menu at top: files/options/connect/ident
<kend^> check box
<klokwkdog> with cable modems, they ban whole networks if they think
theyy get too much "abuse" from them: "You are not welcome here..."
(what did I ever do?)
<klokwkdog> i use the default irc thingie a lot, or just keep picking
weird ones or re-trying the connect on the same one
<Mr_Yamamoto> That's what I got
<Bubbas_Brain> .... oh sorry, distarcted..... Melting Pot???? is that a
new technique or what?
<Dexter_Fong> BF: I'd get "Error: Connection reset by peer" then a
disconnect notice
<cease_> good one, bb
<klokwkdog> i set up identd as afar as Pirch 98 provides, but it is of
no help and I can't get inform on how it works. tell Doc to try dialup
if he has to
<kend^> i think doc runs mIRC like i do, those commands from menu should
help him if his net isn't banned totally
<Bubbas_Brain> ... usually goes straight to a gas....
<klokwkdog> ken, I checked the box, but on things like @home, they just
flat out decided my flavor of @home or all of @home was suspect and no
identd setup i did mollified them. Port 113, I think, not many options
to go wrong, no idea why it does not work
<Dexter_Fong> Regular? Ethyl?
<Mr_Yamamoto> Gas music? Lemme listen to those pipes
<klokwkdog> but I keep trying and eventually, sometimes get in. other
times, I pull the LAN cable out and use dialup and then Pirch quiets down
<bfwestley> kend, yes, doc runs mIRC
<cease_> it's the ethyl and regular show
<bfwestley> I also suggested that we go to tinymud
<Bubbas_Brain> Who's this Ethyl girl, and why does everyone keep talking
about her bowel habits.
<kend^> brian, in the connect box, there's a "random dalnet" choice, it
will recycle through servers until one works
<klokwkdog> is funny Doc is having this prob. as he's had same setup and
router like me for some time
<bfwestley> ok kend
<cease_> bb, do you know if LodeStone get Box of Time yet?
<kend^> brian, i have list of updated servers if he needs, i can send to him
<klokwkdog> yeah, Ken, there is, but each server connects, plays along,
then spits out this really nasty message at me like I've been selling
body parts on the transplant chat or something
<cease_> i sent it to fish a couple of weeks ago
<bfwestley> I finally listened to box of time, cat - pretty weird
<cease_> with a beard?
<kend^> klok, you should stop that. only so many kidneys per person
<bfwestley> kend, yes, send to do (and me, for that matter, so I can
update the lists in the IRC announcement)
<Bubbas_Brain> Dunno. I think I remember Fish mentioning something.
But he hasn't had a chance to listen yet.
<cease_> i dont care if he listens to it, just as long as he plays it on
his show
<Dexter_Fong> lol Cat
<cease_> gonna play it on Your show, BF?
<Bubbas_Brain> I'll tell him.
<bfwestley> probably sometime, cat
<kend^> ok, brian, on the way to both of you
<cease_> not entirely meant humously, dex. it is my feeling that my
daughter Bit lives on as her voice reaches people who've never heard her
before
<cease_> same with Tiny, who'll star in red Shift
<Dexter_Fong> I understand Cat..just that the peremptory tone kinda got
to me =)
<bfwestley> I got it, kend, but can you send it as text?
<kend^> cat, no one is gone as long as one person remembers
<cease_> so the idea is to maximize those people, kend
<kend^> brian, just change the ".ini" to ".txt"
<kend^> it will open in notepad
<bfwestley> I'm on unix
<kend^> ok, i'll copy, change, send to you again
<kend^> brb
<cease_> i want to get this mp3 of Tiny up on the Red Shift website as
soon as i can
<cease_> even if the whole play wont be finished for a few monthes
<cease_> Tiny's fellow IRCers can hear his voice there
<kend^> done, brian
<Dexter_Fong> That will be nice Cat...I really didn't "know" him well
<Dexter_Fong> Me being new, and he being not around so much
<Mr_Yamamoto> I only knew him on the net-I never met him
<cease_> most of us only met him the once, at the seattle shows in april, 99
<kend^> dex, he was very multi-faceted, not just firesign. we used to
chat on icq quite a bit
<bfwestley> thanks, kend, I got it. I'll try to make sense of it...
<cease_> he'd seemed to have had a lot of hard luck in his life, but
remained upbeat
<kend^> np, brian, hope it helps
<Dexter_Fong> Ken, I'd say one of the hallmarks of Fireheads *is*
multifacetedness
<cease_> perhaps Firesign was of some help there
<kend^> or multi-facetiousness?
<Dexter_Fong> But not multi fascedness, thank something
<cease_> remember all his expensive car problems?
<kend^> he did face his problems head on, didn't try to duck them
<cease_> indeed
<cease_> ever inventive
<kend^> of course, we all retreat from reality at times. i know he and i
chatted several times when we were both almost too drunk to type
<kend^> he with his martinis, me with my wine
<Dexter_Fong> Not retreat...strategic withdrawal
<kend^> ok, i'll accept that, dex
<cease_> he told us he used to be a saloon keeper which made him
allergic to beer. right after he tells us this at the bar in seattle, he
orders a beer
<kend^> lol, cat!
<cease_> he was a very funny guy, kend
*** Join: DocTechnical (doc...@ool-182cacc1.dyn.optonline.net)
<DocTechnical> it was the damn firewall.
<Dexter_Fong> Hey Doc =))
*** Mode change "+o DocTechnical" by Bubbas_Brain
<kend^> yeah! doc's here
<cease_> you'll just have to take our words for it
<cease_> the doc man cometh
<DocTechnical> i gotta email dal.net and find out what ports i have to
have open for it to connect properly
<kend^> proxy server?
<DocTechnical> i have the ports in my firewall pretty much locked down...
<kend^> doc, visit their webpage. i can never remember if it's dal.net
or dalnet.net. one of them is in swedish, you will know right away if
it's wrong
<DocTechnical> ...this has never caused a problem until now.
<bfwestley> doc, kind of important question; did you get a message that
the host key changed for ssh connecting?
<cease_> doc, were you in the bar with tiny and some of the rest of us
when he told us he didnt drink beer, or were you back at the hotel with bf?
<Dexter_Fong> Hi! I'm Jeanete..I'll be your proxy server tonight, Anne
is off sick
<kend^> chat itself it 6660-6670, but there are others needed too
<DocTechnical> k^: i looked through there already tonight, could not
find any info that was of any help.
<DocTechnical> bf: yes i did - i thought maybe it was because i
connected at work today, from different ip address
<kend^> also, tom, there are several help channels on here, do channel
list, search for "help"
<DocTechnical> maybe after the chat.
<kend^> they are always on, do it when it's convenient to you
<bfwestley> OK doc; I sent email to byron at ifip just in case
* Dexter_Fong takes some small comfort from the fact that even you guys
who know waaaay more than me occaisionally have tech problems
<DocTechnical> thx bf
<kend^> trust only the ops though, others might try to steer you wrong,
send you trojans, etc.
<Dexter_Fong> Giving away condoms, Ken?
<kend^> hell, dex, i don't even use them myself. i've been "altered", if
i trust mypartner, there's no need for them
<DocTechnical> i think i have to do something special re port 113 - this
is what the identd doc said at sourceforge - i thought i had
reconfigured my firewall to allow two-way on port 113 but either (a) i
configured it wrong or (b) there's something else i have to do
<kend^> doc, they check for proxies, i think i have a list of those
ports, i'll look
<DocTechnical> in any case, i'm only an hour late - which is typical
<kend^> no list, but address
<kend^> -jade.va.us.dal.net- *** Notice -- This server runs an open
proxy monitor to prevent abuse.
<kend^> -
<kend^> -jade.va.us.dal.net- *** Notice -- If you see connections on
various ports from proxy8.monitor.dal.net
<kend^> -
<kend^> -jade.va.us.dal.net- *** Notice -- please disregard them, as
they are the monitor in action.
<Dexter_Fong> Doc: Can't you just shut firewall down while IRCing?
<kend^> -
<kend^> -jade.va.us.dal.net- *** Notice -- For more information please
visit http://kline.dal.net/proxy
<kend^> dex, that's heresy
<Dexter_Fong> i HEARD THAT, kEN
<Dexter_Fong> oops..beah
<Dexter_Fong> bleah
<cease_> now doc is here, someone else can start telling Tiny stories
<DocTechnical> dex: i have so many individual ports opened just so i can
enjoy cretain internet radio stations, i have to create a backup of my
firewall config to open up all ports for irc then reload my preferred
config afterward
<kend^> doc, is that jean cretain, pm of canada?
<Dexter_Fong> Doc: Sorry I asked =)), really,
<cease_> bf, you were the only person in our seattle group who wasn't
impaired that weekend, you must remember SOMETHING
<DocTechnical> i haven't taken the time to figure out what i need to do
that yet, so for now i am connected right to the cable modem - will
reconnect after this session and see if i can figure out what i need to
do to get things to work right
*** Join: Rotonoto (k3...@66-44-24-67.s1083.apx3.lnh.md.dialup.rcn.com)
<kend^> hey, roto!
*** Mode change "+o Rotonoto" by klokwkdog
*** Mode change "+o Rotonoto" by kend^
<Rotonoto> hola, amigos
<Dexter_Fong> Hi Roto
<kend^> dave's here, everyone be quiet
<cease_> roto
<bfwestley> hey roto
<Rotonoto> hi guize
* Dexter_Fong afk for a short time
<Rotonoto> good ta seez ya all
<DocTechnical> cat: i remember that weekend well - HEY roto - and i
think i was not with you when tiny talked about not drinking
<klokwkdog> hello, R
<cease_> i think you met us later
<Rotonoto> not drinking: maybe not th best option, but an option...
<DocTechnical> truth be told, things happened so fast that weekend i
only have impressions of it, not full recollections of conversations
<cease_> i jsut regailed the assembled about tiny's telling us he was a
saloon keeper
<Mr_Yamamoto> Roto
<DocTechnical> though i do recall bf mentioning that his mom was the
producer on the first bonnie raitt album
<Rotonoto> he knew howta mix them especial ones
<cease_> just not drinking Beer, Roto, at least that's what he told us,
before ordering a beer at the bar
<klokwkdog> DT - I had great luck when @home went to cox.net, could
connect via cable modem, not dialup. But a few weeks later, started
getting these "You are not welcome" responses. My Linksys port allows
didn't change. There is some identd port, but I'm not sure it matters
if I could once get in, not now.
<cease_> Peggy just drank wine and i searched in vain for a good US cidre
<bfwestley> kinda weird when firesign missed another grammy and I
mentioned my ex-babysitter won 9
<Rotonoto> yanks will drink anything, cat- malt liquor, budweiser, etc. :o)
<klokwkdog> ...but not for comedy
<cease_> with a beard
<klokwkdog> yo-hoo
<klokwkdog> snapple
<kend^> hear, hear, roto! i hate bud, but iwll drink it if someone else
buys it
<cease_> i'm sure you will, roto. that's why we keep the good cidre in BC
<Rotonoto> you have to go to Europe for the good beers, or make it yourself
<Mr_Yamamoto> Lol
<DocTechnical> smirnoff ice ain't bad...
<klokwkdog> esp. tonight
<DocTechnical> it's not vodka, it's a "male beverage"
<Rotonoto> "fortified"... :o)
<Mr_Yamamoto> No clue about ANY of this...
<cease_> can i make Europe myself?
<DocTechnical> er, "malt"
<cease_> save me having to get a passport and everything
<DocTechnical> (but you knew that :) )
<klokwkdog> and, Ken, you can appreciate this perhaps...I got terminated
today
<bfwestley> no, that was freud speaking, doc
<Rotonoto> first thing I ever drank was a Colt 45- gawdaful introduction
<cease_> do you have to plug in the female?
<DocTechnical> freudian slips - on sale now at wal*mart
<cease_> oh no, klok
* Dexter_Fong back
<Bubbas_Brain> Multi-pin?
<kend^> uh oh, klok, very sorry to hear that.
<klokwkdog> they said I wasn't working hard enough...
<DocTechnical> klok: that sux dude
<DocTechnical> you gotta be kidding...
<Rotonoto> sorry klok
<DocTechnical> 14 hour days not working hard enough?
<DocTechnical> sheesh
<kend^> not working hard enough? damn, you LIVED there!
<Bubbas_Brain> Where waz ya workin?
<Rotonoto> american sweatshops
<Dexter_Fong> Uhh, klok having just returned...what the fuck!!!!!
<klokwkdog> not sure, DT; I'm kind of numb about TDT, but right now, it
kinda feels GOOD to have a weekend back, etc.
<Rotonoto> they are hi tech but still overwork 'em
<Mr_Yamamoto> Damn
<klokwkdog> of course, the no money part sux
<Mr_Yamamoto> Good news falling like rain
<cease_> you'll find another job, klok
<DocTechnical> ah, just found page with listing of ports that have to be
open:
<cease_> tiny was always losing jobs, but never losing hope, and
rightfully so
<DocTechnical> http://kline.dal.net/proxy
<klokwkdog> yeah, it was: "Do I *really* want to go on the chat _this_
night?"
<Dexter_Fong> Klok..if you haven't departed permanently...sabatoge the
mf'ers
<kend^> i hope you do find something quickly, klok
*** Join: Noser (some...@h00500480bd93.ne.client2.attbi.com)
<klokwkdog> DT, can you email the URL or list 2 me?
<Dexter_Fong> Hi Noser
<kend^> hi noser
<cease_> by a nose
<klokwkdog> I'm not at home, using friend's system on dialup tonight
<Rotonoto> dalnet was a little wierd tonite, Doc- no connect on "random
US server"- had to specify NYC and then in first try
<DocTechnical> ...and... http://kline.dal.net/proxy/wingate.htm
<Mr_Yamamoto> hello noser
<klokwkdog> Ash, that has been suggested, but I killed 'em with kindness
<Dexter_Fong> Klok: I am just ficking shocked to hear that...all the
nights ...ahhh, shit <me/speechless>
<Rotonoto> rhymes with ghoser (ancient babylonian god)
<Bubbas_Brain> Klok -- what is it you did/do/want to do.....?
<klokwkdog> Showed 'em where each thing was, etc.
<kend^> did you at least steal some trade secrets you can peddle?
<kend^> cd-rw's are great for that, i hear
<Rotonoto> you should have just walked with all your passwords :o)
<klokwkdog> It is going to be hard at any rate, and my co-operation in
the 15-day wind-down will be total, but will I drive there on moment's
notice? NFW
<kend^> oh, they didnt just show you the door today?
<klokwkdog> BB - did my post mess up? Or was that just commentary? :-)
* Dexter_Fong afk again
<kend^> bad concept, firing someone in advance like that
<Rotonoto> I hope they gave you a decent severance at least
<Bubbas_Brain> maybe I missed it.
<cease_> better a decent severnce than a severe descent
<klokwkdog> It's a long story, but the trade secrets could not be
peddled anyway and I signed away on that. I am a principled person, but
I told them that when I bring them back a few minor sundries, would it
be OK to steal some pens?
*** Mode change "+v Noser" by kend^
<Rotonoto> ahhh, cat the woidmeister :o)
<klokwkdog> I never remembered to steal some pens from the office.
<Rotonoto> they probably bought the sheapies anyway
<kend^> get what you can, klok
<Rotonoto> cheapies
<cease_> better a woid than a void
<klokwkdog> ken - oh, I guessed it last weekend when they asked me to
return my gear at home and I looked at the calendar...
<Rotonoto> yep- a boid in da hand...
<kend^> i had absolutely no warning. boss asked me to come in and talk
to him, that was it. i knew *someone* was going, but was sure it wasn't
me. that's what i get for thinking
<klokwkdog> I had 256MB of *my* memory in *their* box, and I removed it
(my friend who's loaning me this dialup got them on loan - a better end
than they previously served)
*** Join: drjawn (dee...@h00a0ccd93477.ne.client2.attbi.com)
<cease_> in worth boy george to a bush
<DocTechnical> i am poking around in the firezine site files right now...
<drjawn> good evening
<cease_> another doc
<kend^> hi dr.j
*** Mode change "+o drjawn" by kend^
<DocTechnical> i want to post a little note about tdt
<Rotonoto> beating the bushes now, are we? :o)
<klokwkdog> Actually, 384MB, another 128 stick in my office machine,
which I removed
<drjawn> can't keep a good dock down
<DocTechnical> hey johnny
<drjawn> hiya
<kend^> dr.j, you CAN tie them down if they aren't too buoyant
<drjawn> down at the docks
<drjawn> BOY!
<DocTechnical> off-tropic: klok, you got any spare 64mb edo simms you
don't need or would sell?
<cease_> doc tech, i made an mp3 file of Tiny's scene in Red Shift i'd
like to post to the Red shift website so those who never heard it can
hear Tiny's voice
<Rotonoto> people put him down 'cause that's the side of town he wuz
born in...
<DocTechnical> we gotta get you set up with an ftp client and show you
how to use it, cat
<DocTechnical> how big is the mp3?
<drjawn> EFF TEE PEE!
<bfwestley> I'm back, I was busy with the printer
<cease_> 57 seconds. 900? kb?
<klokwkdog> DT no, just PC-133 SDRAM. I have one 16MB 72-pin EDO or
something, would have to look
<drjawn> did you take off his apron?
<cease_> i recorded in in mono at 8 bits
<Rotonoto> cross your hands in a complicated hand gesture
<DocTechnical> off-tropic: a music buddy of mine bought an akai s5000
sampler, need to get 4 64mb sticks for it
<cease_> are the illuminati among us again?
<drjawn> I hear bells
<kend^> who's giving away secrets here?
<drjawn> I charge appropriately
* Dexter_Fong back...again
<Rotonoto> mommy! mommy! jophnny just flushed the goldfish down the toilet!
<DocTechnical> he's already got 2 32mb sticks, i gave him 2 16mb sticks
from an old 75mhz pentium I had stashed in the corner of my basament
*** Quit: Bubbas_Brain (Ping timeout)
<DocTechnical> cat: i need to know if the file is larger than 2mb - can
you tell me?
<DocTechnical> do you know how to determine the size of a file on your pc?
<Dexter_Fong> Ping!! Got him, Tennessee, dead center
*** Join: Bubbas_Brain (Bubba...@151-pool10.ras10.inind.tii-dial.net)
*** Mode change "+o Bubbas_Brain" by kend^
<Bubbas_Brain> Wha.....!
<DocTechnical> he's gone - no wait, he's bacque
<kend^> he's bacon bits!
<Bubbas_Brain> Somtin happened.
<cease_> half that size, doc
<Rotonoto> he's Beethoven
<kend^> roll over, beethoven
<DocTechnical> ok mail it to my toneill account (at snet dot net)
<Dexter_Fong> Give Thcaikovsky the news
<Mr_Yamamoto> And tell Tscaikowsky the news
<Mr_Yamamoto> bugger beat me to it
<Dexter_Fong> heh MY..neither can spell that name =))
<kend^> i always wanted to record that with second line: "and stop
hogging the blanket"
<Mr_Yamamoto> Damn Russians anyway
<kend^> tchaikovsky?
<Rotonoto> it was 1812, and he was making overtures to her, when suddenly...
<Mr_Yamamoto> Boom-there went the cannon!
<Dexter_Fong> And Ken wins the Glasnost Award
<cease_> oh no, it says 4.99 mb
<kend^> they approached the summit together, then there were cannons and
fireworks! then they had a cigarette
<cease_> guess it's too big, eh?
<cease_> well, tiny was not a small man
<Rotonoto> that's what she said
<Bubbas_Brain> I thought Pachabel had the Cannons....!
<kend^> with only 2 "n"s instead of 3
<kend^> canon
<DocTechnical> ok, we'll have to ftp it then. I have to get you set up
with the windows "cute ftp" client
<DocTechnical> easier to use than commend line
<cease_> cuteness, here i come
<kend^> doc, cuteftp is one of those spyware programs
<Bubbas_Brain> Was that a canonical reference?
<cease_> the 1812 overture?
<Rotonoto> should he be cannonized? or merely praised?
<cease_> puffed rice forever
<drjawn> PacBell?
<Bubbas_Brain> The Taco Bell Canon?
<Noser> Taco Bell has trebuchets.
<Mr_Yamamoto> Puffed rice indeed. Where did they get those canons anyway?
<kend^> pacific bell's motto: we NEVER started a war
<drjawn> is Hal Innes aboard?
<Bubbas_Brain> They cause you to launch over the border?
<drjawn> lunch over the border
<Rotonoto> you loosa you launch at da border
<kend^> hal=tonk i think?
<drjawn> *URP*
<drjawn> hi Hal
<drjawn> erp
<drjawn> a
<cease_> i know very few "real" names for irc folks
<Rotonoto> Hal- open the pod bay door this instant!
<cease_> now even less, without Lew
<kend^> "i'm sorry dave, i can't do that"
<Noser> We're all named Bill, that's all you need to know
<drjawn> I believe he is located in the midwest
<kend^> well, my real name is easy to remember: ken
<Dexter_Fong> Open the Padme Door, Luke
<kend^> he's in detroit, about 2 hrs east of me
<Rotonoto> ah-ken
<kend^> but we've never met in person
<cease_> Ohm
<drjawn> he was just logged onto AIM
<drjawn> and I heard the door close
<Rotonoto> that was his aim
<drjawn> twue
<cease_> and so does Louise
<Rotonoto> but what was his purpose?
<Dexter_Fong> To save the Dolphins
<kend^> are they still in miami?
<Rotonoto> "We aim to please- but sometimes we miss..."
<Noser> Shave the Welsh.
<Dexter_Fong> K: Swimming around Rebozo's house
<cease_> without a nozo?
<kend^> bebe rebozo, meet bibi netanyahu
<Dexter_Fong> Hi! I'm Bebe Neuworth
<Rotonoto> wanted to sing "ohm on the range", but ran into a lotta
resistance
<kend^> dex, the sex change looks good on you
<Dexter_Fong> Wanna have sex with my shoe?
<kend^> roto, you sure you weren't locked into a faraday cage?
<cease_> and i'm mike bibby, of the san antonio spurs
<Rotonoto> your hat is already spoken for?
<Mr_Yamamoto> Bad pun
<Noser> A pharaoh a day keeps... uh...
<Dexter_Fong> I doffed it to the dolphins, Roto
<kend^> the apple away?
<Mr_Yamamoto> Athlete's crank, no thanks
<cease_> the hittites at bay?
<DocTechnical> ok, i got a little notice up on the firezine site -
should i add anything?
<Rotonoto> windflowers carried it away...
<drjawn> hittites? luddites?
<Dexter_Fong> Your windflower stays on my mind
<cease_> how would we know, doc?
<Bubbas_Brain> Lodestones/
<Bubbas_Brain> ?
<DocTechnical> i wat to add something but i'm not sure what
<cease_> you mean we can go to the site and see it, doc?
<DocTechnical> cat: go to http://www.firezine.net
<Rotonoto> filips and trifles added to your specifications
<bfwestley> here's the group picture from seattle:
http://www.tinydrtim.com/support.htm
<bfwestley> tiny on far left
<cease_> short and to the point, doc
<DocTechnical> maybe too short?
<drjawn> only thing I can think or suggest is to tell folks where or how
to express condolences, or do something in his honor
<Mr_Yamamoto> Whare are all these dwarves coming from
<cease_> it would be nice to have some testimonials about what Tiny
meant to whomever somewhere but not ncessarily right now on that site
<cease_> good idea, drj
<cease_> Dwarves Are Us, Mr Y
<Mr_Yamamoto> Dont crush that dwarf...
<DocTechnical> yeah, dr j thanx - i wanted to say something like that
but couldn't figure out how to express it.
<cease_> he's short enough already
<Dexter_Fong> I'll be with you shortly, said the Dwarf
<cease_> portly?
<drjawn> well, those who knew him best should, perhaps, be consulted?
<DocTechnical> i'll do a "we'll have more information about..."
addition. Also, i grabbed the pic of him off his mIRC chat page.
<Dexter_Fong> No Sherry
<Mr_Yamamoto> Regular
<cease_> i'm coing over shortly, because i am a portly, you said you
could fit me in the latest double knits
<drjawn> maybe Connie would know of a favorite cause or charity
<Mr_Yamamoto> Eddie are you kidding?
<Rotonoto> best testimonilas are usually 'collages'- somebody collect
comments from all and edit
<cease_> no
<Rotonoto> testimonials
<cease_> my favourite mothers album
<Mr_Yamamoto> The Knits the doub;le knits, they are the pits
<klokwkdog> can connie provide more pictures? how is she doing, has
anyone been in touch with her?
<drjawn> maybe even send directly to her, if the need exists?
<Mr_Yamamoto> One of mine, too
<Rotonoto> Doc- so Did I, as soon as I heard
<cease_> she just got out of the hospital herself. i think we don't want
to add anything to her burder right now
<kend^> dr.j, i wondered about sending her this log with our comments.
anyone think it's good idea or bad?
<Rotonoto> the pix on his weekly logs meant a lot to me
<drjawn> some recompense for all he did for us all
<drjawn> it couldn't hurt
<Rotonoto> perhaps something both shorter and sweeter?
<kend^> i did the short, sweet already in email to her
<DocTechnical> k^: actually, i was thinking of posting this and future
logs on the firezine site. anyone have a problem with that?
<cease_> i really appreciated all the emails from irc and firesign fan
folks 4 years ago this month
<DocTechnical> ok, fz home page updated again. better?
<kend^> doc, brian already mentioned that, ok with me
<Rotonoto> would be great if you would Doc
<DocTechnical> k^: cool.
<DocTechnical> forward the log to me and i will HTMLize it & post it on
the site
<cease_> yes, the picture in particular
<kend^> i don't think anyone here says anything they don't want "public"
because they know it iwll be on ng anyway
<klokwkdog> I wish I could have expressed how I felt about his
contributions when he could read it in chat, or wherever
<bfwestley> doc, did tiny use scripts to massage the logfile?
<cease_> that's true of all of us, klok
*** Join: Joe_Beets (tril...@syr-24-92-250-117.twcny.rr.com)
<cease_> i wanted Fumiyo to meet him and Peggy at Sam's wedding but
unfortunately they couldn't make it that night
<klokwkdog> and we were both same age, fenced about that some, which
makes it more stark
<Dexter_Fong> Hi Joe
<kend^> vg, doc, on the fz site
<Joe_Beets> More Sugar!
*** Mode change "+o Joe_Beets" by kend^
<kend^> hi joe
<drjawn> it looks good! nice photo
<DocTechnical> bf: yes, but i already have a script that strips off a
lot of unwanted stuff already (i wrote it when firelogger crapped out
and tdt needed a massager)
<bfwestley> ok doc
<DocTechnical> re fz home page: thanks guys
<Joe_Beets> I lost my script
<bfwestley> the TDT memorial IRC log
<cease_> tiny's Firesign Directory is one of the most useful pieces of
information i've ever encountered on the web
<cease_> he really tried to create a community, and succeeded immeasureably
<klokwkdog> amen
<DocTechnical> two things i'm most concerned about right now: what will
happen to tiny's own site, and what will happen to planet proctor
<bfwestley> we might want to archive all of tinydrtim.com, because it'll
go away if nobody takes it over
<kend^> he was at least partly the glue that held us together. not
exclusively, but a large part
<DocTechnical> i will email connie and ask her to put me in contact with
tiny's daughter, who i believe has access to those sites
<bfwestley> phil already asked about PP, I said I'd ask tonight. So far
no takers - anyone want to do Planet Proctor with phil?
<Dexter_Fong> BF: sorry but I know nothing from web pages
<Mr_Yamamoto> what's involved?
<cease_> if only i had the skills, bf
<Joe_Beets> I get the feeling that something is amiss with Dr. Tim?
<bfwestley> not much; keeping planetproctor.com running, and looking for
odd links to put in the text
<cease_> he died on Saturday, Joe
<kend^> joe, he passed on saturday
<DocTechnical> well, inasmuch as i have recently taken steps to free up
some of my time (i'm quitting my pool leagues, or one of them anyway -
the other i told i am 'on call' this session), i would like to volunteer
- at least for the summer, if not longer
<Joe_Beets> Sorry to hear that, folks.
<bfwestley> OK doc, and if mr Y is interested, he could apprentice in
<Dexter_Fong> As are we all, Joe
<bfwestley> I don't know if I know the PP login info, though
<Bubbas_Brain> Let me think about it Doc....
<DocTechnical> i bet tiny'd daughter does
<Mr_Yamamoto> I have someplace to put it or can sacre up the space
<Dexter_Fong> Sacre? =))
<Joe_Beets> Sacre Bleu!@
<bfwestley> the PP site shouldn't change, since phil owns it, right?
<DocTechnical> with her help, we can get it moved to the ifip server
(along with firesign and firezine)
<klokwkdog> sorry folks, it has been kind of rough. I'm CHEERED,
though, by the chat tonight; I was afraid it was going to be
super-depressing, but it's been more a celebration, a wake if you will.
However, the meter is running out on this borrowed machine...
<DocTechnical> otherwise, as long as we can get the id & pwd we can keep
it where it is
<bfwestley> ok kwd
<cease_> take care, klok
<kend^> klok, good luck, and don't be a stranger anymore!
<Mr_Yamamoto> Well, whaterver I can do
<DocTechnical> nite klok - glad you could make it
<Joe_Beets> cya kwd
<Mr_Yamamoto> nite klok.
<Mr_Yamamoto> Good Luck!
<Dexter_Fong> Klok, be well and again, I'm just outraged by the
treatment you've been subjected to by your employers
<DocTechnical> mr y: email me at doctec at snet dot net and we'll talk
about it
<bfwestley> I'll have to at least break away a bit to pack, I'm leaving
tomorrow morning so I can catch the (non-firesign) firesign play in LA
<DocTechnical> bf: cool
<klokwkdog> I may be back next Thur; hope to, if not 2 weeks or
certainly 3. A bit of flux now, and I must tend to long-neglected
personal matters instead of deferring them endlessly. So computer will
come last.
<Rotonoto> nite klok
<DocTechnical> let pp know about things, i'll email him too
<DocTechnical> lili just walked it
<DocTechnical> in
<kend^> hey lili
<DocTechnical> she was at an interview with the new york times today
<Dexter_Fong> in: it: it's all good
<klokwkdog> goodnight!! hi Lili; bye Lili...anon
*** Quit: klokwkdog (Quit: using sirc version 2.211+KSIRC/1.1)
<bfwestley> OK doc, will do. I think they might want to talk about
general web things this weekend anyway
<Joe_Beets> The Times, they are a changin
<kend^> the new york times?
<Dexter_Fong> Yep..they got a colored section now
<Bubbas_Brain> Nice... they're finally getting integrated.
<Dexter_Fong> coloured for you canadians
<kend^> hey, when i was growing up in florida, we had colored sections
too :)
<Joe_Beets> We call it the African-American section now.
<Rotonoto> I can' read dem woids in dem balloons, tho...