KRLA's Collage all night automated broadcasts in 1968 and Johnny Hayes.

Michael St. Pierre

Oct 29, 2022, 10:35:54 AM10/29/22
I was an avid listener of the Collage show. As a teenager going to Fairfax High I would fall asleep listening to the radio and at one point I discovered Collage.
I was constantly enchanted by the eclectic selection, mostly 45's, but with album tracks sprinkled through out.
Since the show had become automated there were no announcements of artists or titles and it was left to me to be jolted awake by some amazing song and scribble down lyrics that might contain the song's title.
''Always You, Dear Undecided, and Ring Wild Bells'' were three by the Sundowners. "Daddy's Plastic Child'' by Lewis and Clarke, "On the Bombsite by Duncan Browne'', "I Wish You Could be Here'' by the Cyrkle ,''Eighteen is over the Hill'' by the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band", "Blue Jack of Diamonds'' H.P. Lovecraft, "Affair on Eighth Avenue'' by Gordon Lightfoot, ''Little Girl Lost and Found'' by the Garden Club, "Snow Queen", ''I can See Only You" by Roger Nichols, "One" by Nilsson, were a couple of tracks that were played on Collage.
I have never been able to find out who picked all of those cuts and say thank you to that person or persons. I have never stopped listening to the tracks I loved on Collage and hope that one day someone will surface and take credit for the programming so I can express my gratitude. If Johnny Hayes was the programmer then let him be Thanked a thousand times. -Michael St. Pierre.