Best scene in Blackadder

stuart_park

Mar 17, 2002, 6:40:12 PM3/17/02
Quick question, whats the best scene in Blackadder?

For me it has to be Blackadder goes Forth "Corporal Punishment" - the entire
courtroom sequence.

"Deny everything Baldrick...."
--
Stuart Park
ICQ: 81460164

mattic

Mar 17, 2002, 8:33:46 PM3/17/02
A few spring to mind:-
1. Edmund trying to teach Baldrick to count using beans (BAII)
2. Edmund say, "Sign here," and Baldrick puts a cross on Edmund's hand,
Edmund 'stamps the document with his hand. (BAIII)
3. "Oh! Cappucino!" (BAIV)
4. Edmund telling Harry who he killed on the battle. "Yes, I killed him
myself at one point!" (BA)

"stuart_park" <stuar...@whsmithnet.co.uk> wrote in message

nimue

Mar 18, 2002, 2:07:19 PM3/18/02
I find the outstanding moments of BA too numerous to mention,but a few of my
faves often come to mind. In no particular order:
1.The charade scene with Edmund & the Spanish inquisitor when he and
Melchett are captives in prison(shakes his hand after "Bastard son of a
bitch" has been successfully guessed)
2.Percy 's foray in to alchemy.He emerges dirty & in rapture about
inventing"Green"
(Percy:"Can it be true?I hold in my hand a nugget of Pure Green?"
Edmund:"Looks as if you've sneezed.")
.3.Edmund rollicking with"Bob" while credits roll as if for an old TV ad for
a compilation LP(My love is a prick on a tudor rose;hot sex madrigal in my
tights etc)
4.The scene where Percy appears in a luridly phallic outfit after they frame
the Bishop of Bath & Wells
5.Edmund meets Ploppy & Mistress Ploppy in his first day as Lord high
Executioner
6.Edmund explaining rather creatively to Lady Whiteadder that "great booze
up" is a native man recovered from sleeping sickness.
7.Edmund's one word response to Rum's not knowing the way to
France""Bugger!"
8 Edmund telling Baldrick that "Hell & all its minions will be nothing
compared to five minutes with me & this pencil.".
9.Melchett going nuts about "Speckled Jim" being shot.
There are heaps others,but these ones often occur to me & make me laugh out
loud.
.
"mattic" <th...@wontwork.com> wrote in message

Paskunia

Mar 18, 2002, 9:15:17 PM3/18/02
stuar...@whsmithnet.co.uk (stuart_park) wrote in
<3c952...@news1.vip.uk.com>:

>Quick question, whats the best scene in Blackadder?

Among many, I liked the scene (during the third season, which featured Hugh
Laurie as the dumb-as-a-stump Prince Regent) where Bladder spends a fortune
buying a fur coat, so he can look presentable to the House of Lords. The
coat was made out of cat fur, complete with collars ringing the neckline.
It was in that same episode that BA gives Baldrick 1,000 pounds for bribes.
Baldrick takes the money and buys the world's largest turnip.
My favorite character name was the Baby-eating Bishop of Bath and Wells,
who appeared in the first season. He was played by the same guy- Ronald
Lacey- who played the sadistic Gestapo guy in "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

Anita M.

Mar 20, 2002, 7:41:47 PM3/20/02
In "The Queen of Spain's Beard" (the Best BAI episode in my opinion) where
"Jeremy of Estonia" (the Infanta's translator) relays "...I only want to
hug and kiss you!" and Edmund punches him in the face. And when he
"practices" with Percy.

Greg Henry

Mar 29, 2002, 6:45:11 AM3/29/02

mattic wrote:

> A few spring to mind:-
> 1. Edmund trying to teach Baldrick to count using beans (BAII)
> 2. Edmund say, "Sign here," and Baldrick puts a cross on Edmund's hand,
> Edmund 'stamps the document with his hand. (BAIII)
> 3. "Oh! Cappucino!" (BAIV)
> 4. Edmund telling Harry who he killed on the battle. "Yes, I killed him
> myself at one point!" (BA)
>
> "stuart_park" <stuar...@whsmithnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Quick question, whats the best scene in Blackadder?
> >
> > For me it has to be Blackadder goes Forth "Corporal Punishment" - the
> entire
> > courtroom sequence.

It's a tough choice. I guess I'm partial to the election results scene
in episode 1 of BAIII in which BA is the election returns officer, the
voter and everything else. Again, touch choice.

-g

Greg Henry

Mar 29, 2002, 6:58:59 AM3/29/02

OK, I need to amend that. I think I like the last scene in Blackadder's
Christmas Carol the best.

-g

Hercule Platini

Mar 31, 2002, 9:42:27 AM3/31/02

> Quick question, whats the best scene in Blackadder?
>
> For me it has to be Blackadder goes Forth "Corporal Punishment" - the
entire
> courtroom sequence.
>
> "Deny everything Baldrick...."

I would probably go with the last episode of Series 2: the exchange from "I
accept nothing from a man who imprisons his guests in a commode" onwards.
Practically every line is gold, if not green.

--
Captain Hercule "Ron" Platini

David Morgan

Apr 1, 2002, 6:29:20 PM4/1/02

"Anita M." <woo...@nova1.net> wrote in message

> In "The Queen of Spain's Beard" (the Best BAI episode in my opinion)
where
> "Jeremy of Estonia" (the Infanta's translator) relays "...I only want to
> hug and kiss you!" and Edmund punches him in the face. And when he

Played by Oscar winning actor Jim Broadbent IIRC

DM

@lineone.net Amanda Graceywire

Apr 1, 2002, 7:03:54 PM4/1/02

> > In "The Queen of Spain's Beard" (the Best BAI episode in my opinion)
> where
> > "Jeremy of Estonia" (the Infanta's translator) relays "...I only want to
> > hug and kiss you!" and Edmund punches him in the face. And when he
>
> Played by Oscar winning actor Jim Broadbent IIRC

this is true... I personally like the way he says "to have a little talk
about a-laydies' things..." *giggle* and when he translates "and as for that
great Spanish dumpling there..." and the Infanta (aka Miriam Margolyes ;))
clouts him one! class.
--
~*luvnbubbles*~
gracey

Amy Burgerz

Apr 8, 2002, 7:05:15 PM4/8/02
> > Quick question, whats the best scene in Blackadder?
> >
> > For me it has to be Blackadder goes Forth "Corporal Punishment" - the
> entire
> > courtroom sequence.
> >
> > "Deny everything Baldrick...."

Quick question, maybe, but could be a long answer...
There are just far, far too many to list. Personally, I couldn't pick
out just
one 'favourite' scene; I'd probably pick a different one each week for
months
if I tried that. So to me, it's a question without a paractical
<single> answer.
There is one scene, however, which is forever etched into my memory,
not because
it's the best Blackadder Scene per se, but because it's the one that
had me
laughing the most for the longest continuous period, even after I'd
watched it several times. In fact the first time I saw it, I couldn't
get to the end of the scene, I was absolutely creased-up with laughter
and the tears were streaming down my cheeks. Which scene was it?
Here's a clue...
"Let's recap: if I admit that I am head-over-heels in love with Satan
and all his little wizards, then you will remove my testicles with a
blunt instrument
resembling some sort of gardening tool and roast them over a large
fire."
"Si." "Whereas if I don't admit that ...
AND remove remove my testicles with a blunt instrument resembling some
sort of gardening tool and roast them over a large fire."
"Oh, it's a scythe!"
Just one brilliantly hilarious scene in dozens, from one of the best
comedy
programmes ever produced, bar none.

Amy

spirit

Apr 10, 2002, 7:33:22 PM4/10/02
im not telling...in fact, Id rather have my tounge beaten wafer thin by a
steak tenderiser, then stapled to the ground with a croquet hoop

--
Thats the Spirit...

END
"Amy Burgerz" <amy_b...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

nimue

Apr 11, 2002, 1:37:14 PM4/11/02
Hey,Amy-
Anything with Percy in it has me in stitches.
Cheers-
N.

Paul Santa Cruz

Apr 12, 2002, 1:07:26 AM4/12/02
One word "Wibble"

Paul Santa Cruz

Apr 12, 2002, 1:08:21 AM4/12/02
On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 03:37:14 +1000, "nimue"

Just had to comment- what a great name!

Anita M.

Apr 14, 2002, 7:15:59 PM4/14/02
BAII - Chains.

You're right, there are too many of them to pick a favorite, tho' my personal
favorite season was BAII. My virgin viewing was BAII - Head. Where he's
trying to fend off Lady Farrow, who keeps trying to pull the bag off his head
and he's yelling for Baldrick - and Baldrick finally shows up at an
inopportune time (for BA)! That had me rolling on the floor the first few
times I saw it.

Anita M.

Amy Burgerz wrote:

--
"She has a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a MAN'S
tonsils!"

Lord Flashheart

nimue

Apr 14, 2002, 9:52:51 PM4/14/02
Thank you,Paul!
cheers.
"Paul Santa Cruz" <pot...@home.com> wrote in message

TrekFan666

Apr 15, 2002, 9:36:32 PM4/15/02
It is so hard.

Anytime King Richard the IV bellowed something or other.

Anytime Edmund got to engage in one of the wonderful hyperboles they wrote for
him.

Percy is carrying on about the Infanta's eyes and some legendary gemstone and
Edmund quickly narrows it down to, "So what you are saying Percy is that
something you have never seen is slightly less blue than something else you
have never seen?"

And the bit where he tells Percy that he is reliably informed by women about
the Court that the part of him that can't be mentioned wouldn't be worth
mentioning even if it could be.

There are so many other things. Any time Queen Elizabeth engaged in one her
daffy tirades and Nursie answered with some non sequitir.

Basically almost anytime General Melchett spoke.

Any time the Prince Regent said something particularly stupid which was every
time Hugh opened his mouth in BAIII.

Flash's appearance in BAIV.

The first time Edmund meets Baldrick, in 1485. Very funny stuff.

Scarlett

Jul 21, 2002, 12:33:39 AM7/21/02
"You have a woman's hand, milord!"

And all that ensues.....wonderful scene that cracks me up immensely.

Also, the scene in Born to be King where Edmund, Percy and Baldrick are
deciding upon the entertainments -- classic. The eunuchs, the Jumping Jews,
the chickens.....very funny.

And the monumetnal creation of green. Not to be forgotten.

Cheery bye, Scarlett

http://www.lunaestas.com / Cheery bye, Scarlett
/enya
\ ------------------------------------
/sbls / Random quote for now
/blackadder \ "The trouble with computers,
/josh / of course, is that they're very
/images/drwho \ sophisticated idiots." -- Dr Who

svrbone

Jul 21, 2002, 10:38:33 AM7/21/02
I love those scenes ... my favorite is the scene where the "industrialist"
has walked in on Butler Blackadder reading a poem to a girl. "I love her
more than any pig, and that's saying something" .... LOL

bone.

Scarlett <ad...@lunaestas.com> wrote in message

Paul Santa Cruz

Jul 22, 2002, 2:50:25 AM7/22/02
My favorite scene:

von Gerhardt: Good evening. I am Oberleutnant von Gerhardt. I have
a message from the Baron von Richthoven, the greatest living
German.

Edmund: Which, considering that his competition consists entirely
of very fat men in leather shorts burping to the tune of
`She'll Be Coming Round The Mountain', is no great achievement.

Cyber Tim

Aug 10, 2002, 1:02:37 PM8/10/02
My favorite episode would have to be Captain Cook

"What are you doing Baldric."
"Im carving someething on this buillet."
"What are you carving"
"Im carving Baldric, sir" ect.

"So you want us to sit in no mans land, painting pictures of the germans."

And so on and so forth

Lance

Sep 8, 2002, 2:11:21 AM9/8/02
The whole Flashheart scene from Bells:
"Flash my name, flash by nature!"
"She has a toungue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a
mans tonsils!"

Terje Kvernes

Sep 8, 2002, 8:52:08 AM9/8/02
mon...@airmail.net (Lance) writes:

> The whole Flashheart scene from Bells:
> "Flash my name, flash by nature!"
> "She has a toungue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a
> mans tonsils!"

or Lord Flashheart scene in the trenches in "Private Plane"...
especially:

George: [ as Flashheart enters ] My God!
Flashheart: Yes, I suppose I am.
George: Lord Flashheart! This is the greatest honor of my life! I
hope I snuff it right now to preserve this moment for ever.
Blackadder: It could be arranged.

--
Terje

Paskunia

Sep 9, 2002, 8:45:51 PM9/9/02
My favorite scenes are:

1) 2nd season- When BA creates an incriminating oil painting of (my
favorite BA series character name) The Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and
Wells, who is in bed with a woman not his wife.

2) 3rd season- BA shows off the new robe he intends to wear when he
joins the House of Lords. It is adorned with cat collars, because it is
made of cat fur. I'm a cat lover, and I laughed so hard the first time I
saw it, I almost didn't make it to the litterbox.

John Fallhammer

Sep 9, 2002, 10:46:19 PM9/9/02
Paskunia <OldMac...@thefarm.eieio> wrote:

> My favorite scenes are:
>
> 1) 2nd season- When BA creates an incriminating oil painting of (my
> favorite BA series character name) The Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and
> Wells, who is in bed with a woman not his wife.

Ah. If only it were that simple...
--

Four years to the Hubbert peak!
--www.oilcrisis.com

nimue

Sep 12, 2002, 10:40:43 AM9/12/02
And the monumetnal creation of green. Not to be forgotten.

Ah,one of my faves,Scarlett!!
I am also very fond of the scene in Head,Series Two,where BA as Lord High
Executioner meets Mr & Mrs Ploppy.who could best be described as,er,a very
unusual couple....
"Daddy Ploppy(sic) ...It was from him that I inherited my fascinating skin
condition..."
"Sossies is all I got."
This scene contains some of the drollest lines ever uttered by Blackie-
"I would shake your hand but I fear it would come off."
Now,woman..if indeed you are a woman..."
"My,the long winter evenings must fly..."
On paper,it may not look much,but the inflexion in RA's voice delivering
these lines make them absolutely priceless.
Just Fab.
cheers
nimue

"Lance" <mon...@airmail.net> wrote in message

Dave Schulman

Sep 13, 2002, 2:09:17 AM9/13/02
For me it's the bit from "Sense and Senility" (BA III) where Edmund says to
Mrs. Miggins:

"They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain.
They are, of course, wrong - as you will soon discover when I stick this
toasting fork in your head."

Don Kiddick

Sep 20, 2002, 8:34:10 PM9/20/02
"And you... Woman...... If indeed you are a woman"

nimue

Sep 20, 2002, 10:29:04 PM9/20/02

"Don Kiddick" <Donke...@mikehunt.com> wrote in message

> "And you... Woman...... If indeed you are a woman"
Hi,Don-the Ploppy scene is among my absolute faves.
"Mrs.Ploppy is a bit of a socisl realist".Hilarious!!
Enjoy your day.
nimue

Lance M

Sep 30, 2002, 11:23:45 PM9/30/02
Forgot to add, that he said it all with half of his mustache falling
off...

ray daley

Oct 1, 2002, 10:29:58 AM10/1/02
from Blackadder regency

Your highness, your highness, your highness, etc!

TrekFan666

Oct 5, 2002, 11:01:38 AM10/5/02
What is that Keanrick and Mossup have to say anytime somebody says Macbeth in
their presence?

Rich Webb

Oct 5, 2002, 11:21:30 AM10/5/02
On 05 Oct 2002 15:01:38 GMT, trekf...@aol.com (TrekFan666) wrote:

>What is that Keanrick and Mossup have to say anytime somebody says Macbeth in
>their presence?

Ahhhhh! Hot potato, off his drawers, pluck to make amends. <ouch>

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

TrekFan666

Oct 6, 2002, 12:49:39 AM10/6/02

That is pretty funny. Is it meant to appear to make vaguely obscene references
as well?

Ulrich Schreitmueller

Oct 6, 2002, 8:15:53 AM10/6/02
TrekFan666 wrote:

> >Ahhhhh! Hot potato, off his drawers, pluck to make amends. <ouch>
> >

> That is pretty funny. Is it meant to appear to make vaguely obscene references
> as well?

To quote Baldrick, "It is if you sit on one."

Rich Webb

Oct 6, 2002, 11:17:38 AM10/6/02

Not really sure. Doesn't seem to but that could be an idiom thing, two
nations separated by a common language and all that.

The superstition surrounding that play does seen to be genuine (unless
it's a running joke that theatrical types have been playing on the hoi
poli for the last few centuries). That particular ritual seems to be a
Blackadder-ism but see the discussion at
http://www.humbugsguide.co.uk/miscellaneous/scottishplay.html and other
spots around the 'net.

ray daley

Oct 6, 2002, 12:49:08 PM10/6/02
something like
hot potatoes, something something, puck will make amends.

"TrekFan666" <trekf...@aol.com> wrote in message

anthony.cockayne

Oct 21, 2002, 10:04:40 AM10/21/02
I spy in Blackadder 4 I spy with my little eye something beginning with r
Army!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"ray daley" <raypda...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

justbob

Oct 28, 2002, 3:11:27 PM10/28/02

"Lance" <mon...@airmail.net> wrote in message
Final scene in Blackadder goes fourth. Not funny, but unforgettable. (funny
is good.... but emotion can be better at times. just not after 9:00 pm).for
funny, I always enjoyed the bit with the duel (last episode, blackadder the
third).
--
justbob (only dropping through on his way to hell)

Penny

Jan 29, 2003, 6:25:35 PM1/29/03

The best scene has to be in Blackadder 3, trhe actor episoode,where
the Prince calls Blackadder Bladder, and he says 'you can start by not
calling me Bladder'. I don't think that was intended!

I might be wrong..

--
pe...@bigscary.demon.co.uk

rembran...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2016, 10:40:56 AM2/6/16
I agree the scene where he is told to "deny everything" and takes it literally, and for once carries out an order perfectly....is one of the scenes I truly believe is one of the best in black adder history.