CBers on Jeopardy!

Sendhil Revuluri

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96

I compiled the following list to sate my own curiosity back in February and
earlier when there was a discussion going on on the newsgroup. Any
additions or corrections would be appreciated (email best). I have not
tried to preserve attribution of where I got the info, if I used info you
gave me and this bugs you send me email.

Thanks
Sendhil

PS: The line "/Newsgroups:.*,/h:j" in a trn/strn KILLfile works wonders.

Mark Rooney (U of MO, Rolla?) 1994 Jeopardy! College Championship

Martin Poteralski of Georgia Tech
Jeff Stewart of BYU

Chip Beall Jeopardy back in 1985, a three-day champion

Greg Wimpy Trinity University CB one Jeapordy match in 1991 or 1992.

Phoebe Jewell Texas A&M CB for at least two seasons; transferred to
Grinnell and won the 1993 Jeaopardy College Tournament.

Chris Goheen was on Jeopardy! in 1994, winning one match and falling $3
short the second time.

Carrie Pruett of UVA CB got to second round of the teen Tournament 1993

1993 TT: Lev Osherovic -sp? - plays at Cal and Brent Keeling at Vanderbilt.

Former UVA coach Tom Michael Aired February 14 & 17, 1992
Former UVA player John Harris lost one game last fall.
Former player Jamie Weiss, teen champion (1991, I think).
Current co-chair Melissa Murray, 1992 teen tournament.

Jim Scott, a UVa team member of the 80s; a five-time champion AND winner
of the Tournament of Champions. He also has a "cameo" in the film
Groundhog Day. $149,300.

David Larson, who played from 1990-1993 at Wisconsin was on the 1993
college tournament. He was a semi-finalist, if I remember correctly.

Also Bruce from UMinnesota made the tournament of champions and took
second I think, but could be mistaken in 1992.

Harry Kelly UVA
Hank Chambers UVA

Felicia Wu Harvard was a semifinalist in the 1994 Teen Tourney
Chuck Truesdell Harvard was a semifinalist in the 1995 Teen Tourney
Vandana Madhavan Harvard 1996 College Tourney

93-94 Harvard captain Graydon Hazenberg won one game for $17K
91-92 and 92-93 Harvard varsity player Ali Vaezy won two games for $27K, 1994

Ex-players (but still Harvardians) Kiran Kedlaya and Patricia Larash also
played in the Teen Tournament, although I'm not positive about Kiran. [JJ
Todor]

David Dixon (Cal) lost one game in December, 1993.

Jeff Thompsen (Cal) 1993 CT semi-finalist
Lev Osherovich (Cal) 1993 TT

Allyson Mondoux (BU) 1996 CT

Scott Gillispie self-proclaimed #133 on the Jeopardy All-Time Winnings List

JL McHenry 1995 College Championship Semi-Finalist Tufts University
Todd Konkel Rice University '95 College Tournament. (semifinalist)
Eric Moore Rice University 4 or 5 time champion > $65k
Raymond Eich Rice University (also '91 NCT Champ Team) J! halloween '95
matt kane Rice University teen tournament 1992 semi-finalist
College Tourney 96: Allyson Mondoux BU, Mike Musgrove GT
College Tourney 96 Semifinalist: Brian Gondos Penn
College Tourney 96 Finalist (2nd): Vandana Madhavan Harvard

Bruce Simmons, Dana Bacon, and Tina Karelson of U Minn

--

Sendhil Revuluri (s-rev...@uchicago.edu)
University of Chicago

Joseph M. Saul

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96

Chuck Forrest of UM played on Jeopardy! back in the late 80s (and won a
lot of money), and also played CB. (I know; he kicked my butt in the IMs
when I was an undergrad in '86 or '87.)

Kevin Olmstead, UM's coach, played on Jeopardy! (I believe he was already
coaching us at the time. He also won a fair amount of cash, though not as
much as Forrest.)

Joe Saul
President, Michigan Academic Competitions
jms...@umich.edu

Josh Levy

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96

Also, last year, Brian Gondos of the Univerity of Pennsylvania played in
the college tournament. He is on the team, he just doesn't go to many
tournaments, owing to the fact that he doesn't like to travel on Shabbat.
I believe Brian made the semifinals.

I don't know if this counts, but Penn's faculty sponsor, Chip Hunter, was
also on Jeopardy in 1996.

---Josh

Grendel

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96

: I don't know if this counts, but Penn's faculty sponsor, Chip Hunter, was

: also on Jeopardy in 1996.

: ---Josh

Correction:
Chip Hunter is OUR coach at Penn as well as faculty sponsor. He was on
in April 96 (and I believe he got screwed on a pronunciation rule). Some
of you might remember that he played undergrad at Penn and grad at MIT,
where he was on MIT's National Championship team in the early 90's.

Shawn Borisoff
Penn Academic Demolition Team - Coordinator