Do you go to the big games?

wil...@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu

Feb 15, 1995, 2:05:32 PM2/15/95
If anyone has been to any championship games and is willing to sell or trade
their ticket stubs, please e-mail me.

al chou

Feb 17, 1995, 12:01:58 PM2/17/95
In article <3i055d$q...@metro.atlanta.com>,
S C Q Askew <gt5...@acmez.gatech.edu> wrote:

> --
>S C Q Askew |the Charles Barkley of academic competition
>(aka War (or Destruction) |"They choose their teams based on antics like
>gt5...@acme.gatech.edu |wearing pajamas to matches more than on results
>shawn...@launchpad.unc.edu|or talent." - Matt Colvin

Okay Colvin, now this is getting personal!

Therefore, the pajama-clad Chicago B team (which, if you need reminding,
has already beaten your team once...) declares its willingness to play
you again...NAKED! (or in any costume you may prefer)

This could be the rematch of the century...

(I'll let all of you out there decide whether I'm being serious or not.)

Alice
who wore Royal Stewart at Penn Bowl, but has something entirely new and
exciting planned for ACF Regionals

--
alice chou - ast...@uchicago.edu

"It was all very well to say 'Drink me,' but the wise little Alice was not
going to do _that_ in a hurry." --Lewis Carroll

Margaret Quinn

Feb 17, 1995, 1:49:26 PM2/17/95
In article <3i055d$q...@metro.atlanta.com>,
S C Q Askew <gt5...@acmez.gatech.edu> wrote:

> --
>S C Q Askew |the Charles Barkley of academic competition
>(aka War (or Destruction) |"They choose their teams based on antics like
>gt5...@acme.gatech.edu |wearing pajamas to matches more than on results
>shawn...@launchpad.unc.edu|or talent." - Matt Colvin

Awwwwww, Matt. Are you jealous that we looked better in pj's than you do? ;-)

Marg.
Proud to wear her flannels at Midwest Regionals!

Patrick Matthews

Feb 17, 1995, 2:24:23 PM2/17/95
>> --
>>S C Q Askew |the Charles Barkley of academic competition
>>(aka War (or Destruction) |"They choose their teams based on antics like
>>gt5...@acme.gatech.edu |wearing pajamas to matches more than on results
>>shawn...@launchpad.unc.edu|or talent." - Matt Colvin

I'm sure this was a joke--pajamas don't get you to the quarterfinals of
PB5 :) :)

Pat
--
Patrick G. Matthews matt...@netaxs.com
271 S. 15th St. #1804 215-546-1108 home

Guy D. Jordan

Feb 17, 1995, 11:26:06 PM2/17/95

As President of The George Washington University College Bowl Team
that went "boink" at PennBowl, I would like to formally ask Christine,
Marg, and the Chicago B crew if we could borrow your pajamas. I'm
serious! Just name anything in return...well...not ANYTHING, but we will
entertain all serious offers.

I'm sure I could convince Carol...or even Jeff...to wear them in
Knoxville ;-)

--
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^
Guy Jordan, Religion/History Of Art '95 |||||| this could be the saddest dusk

Rebecca Golden

Feb 18, 1995, 1:11:35 AM2/18/95
Christian B Edstrom (ced...@eis.calstate.edu) wrote:
: As a member of the University of Chicago B team that went to Penn
: Bowl V (A magnificent tournament, I might add), I sincerely hope that Mr.
: Askew quoted you out of context in his .sig, and that the comment you made
: regarding the clothing choices of some of our team members during
: competition was intended to be a joke. Otherwise, I would seriously have to question the
: merit of making any such statement. I think that the performance of the
: team at Penn Bowl should speak for itself, and whether or not you approve
: of the clothing choices of certain members of the team is immaterial.
: Might I suggest that you might just be jealous of the attention the girls
: received? Anyway, I certainly hope that your comment was made in fun,
: and does not reflect your attitude toward the University of Chicago
: quiz-bowl team, or the sport in general.

: Christian Edstrom

: (Who generally wears jeans, cords, or chinos, and a button-up shirt to
: play college bowl in...although now he will feel much more self-conscious
: about that decision.)

: cbed...@midway.uchicago.edu--
Colvin nude? Now there's something you don't see every day (one would think,
anyway) As for U of Chicago, I like the PJ's , and hope (someone's brilliant
opinion notwithstanding) to see them again in play.

R.Golden

Margaret Quinn

Feb 18, 1995, 1:21:49 PM2/18/95
In article <3i4508$n...@moe.cc.emory.edu>,
Christine Moritz <cam...@larry.cc.emory.edu> wrote:
>By the way, I never did
>get to see Chicago B in their unusual attire. What did the PJs look like?
>Were they particularly outrageous or was it just the fact that they were
>wearing PJs that has caused so much comment on this newsgroup?
>
>Christine

Oh, gee. It's not as if we were wearing anything revealing. Both Alice and I
wore plaid flannel pj sets (that is, full tops and long pants). Alice's were
red Stuart plaid (is that right?) from LL Bean, I think. My pj's were blue and
white plaid from Victoria's Secret (no, they were *not* see-through ;-) )

We wore them in the spirit of fun, and many people were really tickled. I tend
to play better when I'm comfortable anyway. I highly recommend it.

Marg.

S C Q Askew

Feb 18, 1995, 7:49:03 AM2/18/95
John J. Edwards (jedw...@wwa.com) wrote:
: S C Q Askew (gt5...@acmez.gatech.edu) wrote:

: : --

: : S C Q Askew |the Charles Barkley of academic competition
: : (aka War (or Destruction) |"They choose their teams based on antics like
: : gt5...@acme.gatech.edu |wearing pajamas to matches more than on results
: : shawn...@launchpad.unc.edu|or talent." - Matt Colvin

: Mr. Askew and Mr. Colvin,

: As President of the University of Chicago College Bowl Team, I am the
: person who assigns teams for tournaments. I do not choose who gets to go
: to tournaments based on any personality quirks or wacky stunts- I pick
: teams based on ability. The team you are refering to placed second in the
: West Division at Penn Bowl (ahead of UNC, a Vanderbilt team, and Maryland
: B). They defeated Minnesota A to reach the quarterfinals of the biggest
: invitational of the year. I was proud of their achievement and I think it
: speaks for itself. If you choose to insult and mock our team, that is
: your perogative. But I will always choose to be a part of a team that is
: fun and successful rather than be part of a community that is intent on
: alienating people with snide comments and bad attitude.

First of all, I didn't ask Matt for permission to use this quote. I
should have. I was wrong not to get permission and I fully admit that.
Secondly, I didn't say exactly who the comment was directed at. All I
will say is this: it wasn't directed at the Chicago program. It may be
ABOUT the Chicago program, but it wasn't directed AT the Chicago program.
In any case, I accept the brunt of the comments and none should be
directed at Mr.Colvin.

: Simply put, the fashion statements of Chicago are not your concern. They
: proved their worth when it counted, Mr. Colvin, and you did not. Perhaps
: you should start wearing PJs if you want to do as well as they did. It
: worked for them.

Well, let's just say that playing against a team in pajamas is quite a
distraction. And somehow I doubt that wearing pajamas would enhance one's
performance at a tournament. In any case, as I said before, I ask that
the comments be directed at me; I will change my .signature file starting
with the post after this one.

If you will excuse me, I must be getting into my Roos so I can finish the
Juniorbird :-).

Michael Obstgarten

Feb 18, 1995, 4:03:14 PM2/18/95

Shawn, please tell me you weren't serious with your last post.
"Distracting"? As if what the opposing team is wearing has anything to
do with whether or not you know the answers to the given questions?
Let the record show that CHI's B team lost the first game they played
in their pajamas (to us, thank you, thank you - good game BTW....)
but I have never seen a dress code in any tournament announcement
anywhere.

Methinks the First Amendment still applies to intercollegiate
academic competition. As long as nobody is wearing anything that
could be construed as promoting violence against another person/race/
group of persons or proliferates "hate speech" and is not violating
that given area's laws against indecent exposure, I would tend to
doubt that anyone would even WANT to make a rule defining what clothes
people can(not) wear to a tourney.

Let's take the distraction thing one step further -- do we ban
attractive females from participating in competition because they
might "distract" other males in the room? If I may say so, BU has/had
its share of attractive female CBers, and I would hope that nobody is
advocating that they don't play.

What the hell, why not one more step? Do we tell the attractive
GUYS that THEY can't play because (statistics say) that there's going to
be at least one gay male at the tournament and we can't distract him?

Let's be real folks, "distraction" should not be an issue.
The CHI ladies were having a little fun, and I applaud them for it.
Nothing wrong with a little unorthodoxy (or "offbeat" if you prefer,
Allyson. :) .

Mike Obstgarten
Ready to hoist the Region 1 Cup aloft in *8* days -- awww yeah, Harvard.

Guy D. Jordan

Feb 18, 1995, 9:16:17 PM2/18/95
In article <3i4qbv$b...@metro.atlanta.com>,

S C Q Askew <gt5...@acmey.gatech.edu> wrote:

>Well, let's just say that playing against a team in pajamas is quite a
>distraction. And somehow I doubt that wearing pajamas would enhance one's
>performance at a tournament.
<deletia>

...This looks like a pretty serious contradiction to me. If wearing
pajamas is "quite a distraction" to a player on one of the country's top
teams, than maybe it would be wise for GW to break out the sleep-wear for
Knoxville ;-)
If doing something like wearing PJ's can distract the opposing
team, than that's all the better for your team. In short, the other
team's level of distraction is inversely proportional to your
team's chances of success. Sneaky? Maybe. But surprisingly effective
on inexperienced players.

One example I'll never forget was at Terrapin my freshman or
sophmore year. We were playing the infamous "school that will remain
nameless", and a female player whose weight was....lets just say "above
the national average for her height ;-)",...was wearing a see-through ultra
tight, lace outfit. Matt Kline and I were completely taken aghast by
this, and rendered absolutely comatose and ineffective for the match. We
lost, and it took a while before we could erase the spectacle from our
collective thoughts.

The reverse has happened too (mega-babe on the other side of the
table effect), but I won't get into that just now...although it involved
that same "nameless school" again. Go Figure.

Doug O'Neal

Feb 18, 1995, 4:55:14 PM2/18/95
In article <3i4qbv$b...@metro.atlanta.com> gt5...@acmey.gatech.edu (S C Q Askew) writes:

> Well, let's just say that playing against a team in pajamas is quite a
> distraction.

Well, I would think that that's their advantage -- and your problem. Face it,
just about anything the other team does could be distracting to you -- from
one member being too ugly (or too good looking and a member of the sex of
your preference), to having their hair died with kool aid to wearing a
Shaquille O'Neal USA basketball team jersey (as I did at the Philadelphia
Experiment); or maybe if you wear a suit and tie it would be a
distraction to me. Taking this point to the absurd conclusion, the only
way to eliminate such distractions is if all eight players dressed and looked
exactly the same.

>And somehow I doubt that wearing pajamas would enhance one's
> performance at a tournament. In any case, as I said before, I ask that
> the comments be directed at me; I will change my .signature file starting
> with the post after this one.

Doug

Guided by Voices

Feb 18, 1995, 4:45:19 PM2/18/95
Shawn Askew opines thusly :

>Well, let's just say that playing against a team in pajamas is quite a
>distraction. And somehow I doubt that wearing pajamas would enhance one's
>performance at a tournament. In any case, as I said before, I ask that

Hmm, if the PJs distract the performance of the other team so that
their performance is adversely affected and assuming that the PJ-clad
team isn't affected in their performance one way or the other, the PJ clad
team gains some ground/pulls away from the other team in terms of
performance. I never thought I'd live to see the day when one
could think of jammies as a psychological tactic. So, Pat, do
you think you can factor the "Odell/Chicago B Jammie Effect"
(OCBJE) into the Points Created stat?

--
Charles Odell cr...@kelvin.seas.virginia.edu or cr...@virginia.edu
"Seems I've found myself on a voyage of the damned" -- Doc from Voyager

Guy D. Jordan

Feb 19, 1995, 11:43:31 AM2/19/95
In article <3i6dmv$f...@larch.cc.swarthmore.edu>,
Patrick W. Friel <fr...@raptor.sccs.swarthmore.edu> wrote:

>You encountered a "mega-babe" playing college bowl? I didn't realize there
>were any playing. Oh, and just so people don't think I'm going off on only
>one sex, I would say that the men of college bowl are not exactly hunks,
>either. There are some cute people out there, but mega-babes?

Yeah! I can think of a few,...who of course will, as always "remain
nameless". Well, I'd mention one in particular, but she doesn't have
net access ;-)

Doug O'Neal

Feb 19, 1995, 12:34:04 PM2/19/95
In article <3i6dmv$f...@larch.cc.swarthmore.edu> fr...@raptor.sccs.swarthmore.edu (Patrick W. Friel) writes:

> You encountered a "mega-babe" playing college bowl? I didn't realize there
< were any playing. Oh, and just so people don't think I'm going off on only
> one sex, I would say that the men of college bowl are not exactly hunks,
> either. There are some cute people out there, but mega-babes?

You mean you don't think Matthews is a ... sorry. Depends on one's
definition, I suppose. Right now, for instance, you're reading the words of
someone who thinks that the members of the PSU women's basketball team are
far more attractive than the cheerleaders who dance around the floor during
timeouts (and I don't mean the dude in the Nittany Lion suit).

> -Patrick

Doug, who had a wonderful date with a feminist witch last night!
Nittany Lionesses vs. Minnesota -- 2 PM today -- Rec Hall!!!

Matt Bruce

Feb 19, 1995, 5:02:38 PM2/19/95
Obvious rules provision: Chicago Womyn play in their PJs; Colvin plays in
whatever clothes he feel are beter suited for competition. Loser strips.

--Matt

--
Matt Bruce (mlb...@fas.harvard.edu); my opinions are uniquely mine.

Guy D. Jordan

Feb 19, 1995, 7:13:32 PM2/19/95
In article <3i8f5u$2...@decaxp.harvard.edu>,

Go Colvin!!!

Greg Sorenson

Feb 19, 1995, 8:10:06 PM2/19/95
Michael Obstgarten (mike...@acs3.bu.edu) wrote:

: Methinks the First Amendment still applies to intercollegiate
: academic competition...I would tend to

: doubt that anyone would even WANT to make a rule defining what clothes
: people can(not) wear to a tourney.

If any articles of clothing are to be banned, let them not be pajamas. I move
that ratty sweaters with first names embroidered into them be outlawed
(particularly if the name is "NICK").

...and glad to hear the Tussle went well, even if Kitay made an appearance ;)
--
Greg Sorenson, BU '92 (BUCB King Mother)
gre...@ripco.com

Bjorn Edstrom

Feb 19, 1995, 8:24:10 PM2/19/95
Hmmmm. Do all of us who played on the Chicago B team at Penn Bowl get to
partake in this challenge, or is it reserved for Marg and Alice? And if we
do, do Hormuzd and I have to stay and watch Matt strip? :)
But seriously, perhaps it is time to drop this thread (or threads, as that
may be...). It might be better if we all just put this behind us...

So let's move on to something a little more important... Sarah Bruce, a
teammate of mine brought up the show "Head of the Class", a personal favorite
of mine. I have a question someone on here might be able to answer...
What was the _character_ name of the Puerto Rican guy on the show, Eric's big
rival for Simone? He can now be seen playing Torres on the Fox show _New
York Undercover_. Anyone know???

And ObCollege-Bowl reference: I, for one, would have to say that the CB
regionals match I would most like to see is Iowa St. vs. Minnesota. Two
great teams. I only wish that both teams would have a chance to go. Good
luck to all of you.

--
Bjorn Christian Edstrom "The Mad Swede"
University of Chicago "King of Miscellany and Administrative

al chou

Feb 19, 1995, 8:40:03 PM2/19/95
In article <1995Feb19.1...@msuvx2.memphis.edu>,

>Has anybody brought up the idea of a "costume bowl" on this thread yet? You
>could get dolled up individually or with themes for the whole team
>
>Phil Groce
>UofM CB Resident Wise-ass

Well, to bring this thread full circle, I've been telling the good people
running the ACF Regional here at Chicago all along that our tournament
ought to have a theme: Pajama Party!

We could, of course, get even more ambitious and take this trend
nationwide--but then I'd hate to think we'd be overly distracting to
the non-pajamed minority in Knoxville...

See y'all in April--

Alice
who just bought a new set of flannel plaid PJs yesterday in anticipation
of the Big Game

Patrick Matthews

Feb 19, 1995, 8:47:22 PM2/19/95
Matt Bruce (mlb...@fas.harvard.edu) wrote:
>Obvious rules provision: Chicago Womyn play in their PJs; Colvin plays in
>whatever clothes he feel are beter suited for competition. Loser strips.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Of course, then some parties may try to make it worth the participants'
while to throw the match :)

Patrick W. Friel

Feb 19, 1995, 9:14:39 PM2/19/95
Bjorn Edstrom (cbed...@quads.uchicago.edu) wrote:
: Hmmmm. Do all of us who played on the Chicago B team at Penn Bowl get to
: partake in this challenge, or is it reserved for Marg and Alice? And if we
: do, do Hormuzd and I have to stay and watch Matt strip? :)
: But seriously, perhaps it is time to drop this thread (or threads, as that
: may be...). It might be better if we all just put this behind us...

: So let's move on to something a little more important... Sarah Bruce, a
: teammate of mine brought up the show "Head of the Class", a personal favorite
: of mine. I have a question someone on here might be able to answer...
: What was the _character_ name of the Puerto Rican guy on the show, Eric's big
: rival for Simone? He can now be seen playing Torres on the Fox show _New
: York Undercover_. Anyone know???

I think his name was Alex. I want to say that his last name was Torres
there, too, but I'm probably just making that part up.

-Patrick

: And ObCollege-Bowl reference: I, for one, would have to say that the CB

Randolph E Buehler

Feb 20, 1995, 12:51:00 AM2/20/95
The Minnesota A team at the Elvis (me, Ben, Dan, and Dana) changed
into pajama's before our games against both Chicago A and Chicago B ...
it seems to work as our secret weapons helped us to victories against
each squad!
I would say that this was the most ridiculous I've ever looked in a
College Bowl context, but people have pictures of me dancing with John
Edwards... Actually, i still think the pajamas were sillier.

Randy

Peter Keshavan

Feb 20, 1995, 2:23:36 PM2/20/95
Patrick W. Friel (fr...@raptor.sccs.swarthmore.edu) wrote:

: You encountered a "mega-babe" playing college bowl?

Stranger things have happened...

Sarah Beth Torpey

Feb 22, 1995, 7:25:20 AM2/22/95
Your failure to recognize ratty sweaters emblazoned with the
name "NICK" for the potent aphrodisiacs they are disturbs me greatly.
In short, I am worried about your psychological health and personal
happiness. I would recommend a course of hormonal treatment
appropriate to your apparently grave condition, if I weren't
too turned on to think straight at the moment.

Yours from a cozy position on Nick's lap,
S. Torpey

--

-Sarah

OhioManNW

Mar 5, 1995, 9:26:58 PM3/5/95
Just seeing if this works. Sorry for the off-topic post.