Master's Results

ALBATROSS!!!!!!!!!

Jul 12, 1993, 10:03:00 AM7/12/93
Here are some of the results from last weekend's Master's tournament held
in Knoxville, TN. (I have all the standings, but not with me -- I'll post
them soon.)

Legion of Super Heroes (a team composed of Jim Dendy (Ga. tech player/
coach), Don Windham (former UT and Berry College stud ... Carol Guthrie's
husband), Charliue Steinhise (SP?) (former UTC and UT stuyd player), and
someone I didn't know who I heard referred to as Dr. Meredith) rolled through
the tournament averaging around 400 points per match. However, a team known as
"BYE" (made up of Victor *insert last name here* -- former Kent St. captain,
Mike Decker (CBI writer), Peter Freeman (current Chicago player), a a fourth
player who I didn't recognize) did the same thing. Bye and Legion of Super
heroes met very late in the tournament when every other team had at least 2
losses. The Super Heroes prevailed in a semi-lopsided game to apparently wrap
up the tournament. However, they dropped the final game of the tournament to
Ravenous Bugblatter (a team made up I believe of Virginia players). Legion was
forced to play 1 player short because the final round was written by Charlie S.
as a favor to tournament director Carol Guthrie (there were an even number of
teams and therefore double byes and therefore they needed this extra round.)
The way Charlie tells the story, he was added to the team because of his trash
knowledge. Since that what he knows, he wrote a lot of trash questions. Since
he wrote the orund, he couldn't play ... you figure out the logical
implication. Bugblatter was a very good team ... finishing 4th or 5th, but
Legion player sloppy and lost by about 75.
This forced a playoff for the title. In the single most impressive
display of Academic ability I personally have ever seen, Legion answered
14 of the first 15 Toss-Ups correctly (and got almost all of the bonus points)
to jump out to a 400 point lead at the 3/4 mark. BYE rallied to get into
triple digits, but the game was never close.
Gang of Four (made up of U. of Maryland players include Ramesh and Jon
Nam) finsihed 3rd in the tourny with losses to only the two finalists.
Further results will follow soon. The tournament as a whole was well
run and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. the questions were hard-core ACF.
I personally prefer anticipable questions rather than questions that just test
knowledge, but that a matter of personal taste. These were the hardest
questions I have ever played on, but then again I do not consider myself to be
a Master. Judging by the scores, the top few teams certainly did not find the
level of difficulty too high...

Randy

it's enrico palazzo!

Jul 12, 1993, 7:39:06 PM7/12/93
Standings? I shall post them for you...

Place Team Identity Record

1 Legion of Super Heroes Jim Dendy (GT) 14-1 *
Bob Meredith (former
GT coach)
Don Windham (former
UT player)
Charley S. (former
UT player)

2 BYE Mike Decker (CBI 14-1
main question man)
Victor Rosenberg
(former Kent St.)
Ken Hite
(former Chicago)
me (current Chicago)

3 Gang of Four Maryland current 13-2
4 Old Jackets Georgia Tech alums 11-4
5 Menace II Academia Illinois alums 10-5
Ravenous Bugblatters Virginia current + 10-5
7 Carlovingians Carleton alum, coach, + 9-6
Sandy Duncan's Eye Florida alums(?) 9-6
9 Quintana Roo GT current 7-8
10 Prince's New Name UT current 6-9
11 TeamMATT Maryland current 4-11
4 Headless Horsemen unsure 4-11
Old Boy's Network Vandy? 4-11
14 Velociraptor UT alums 3-12
15 Flying Circus Vandy current 2-13
16 Manifest Destiny Vandy alums + 0-15

* won in playoff, 460-170

Your intrepid reporter was distinctly unqualified for the honor of playing
with the likes of Mike Decker, Victor Rosenberg, and Ken "MTV" Hite, but he
did get the (very) occasional trash and a few sports questions and did
manage 10 pts/game. For a team which strength should have been College Bowl
type questions, we did rather well on the ACF academic stuff. Our close
game was to Gang of Four, who we beat by 30...our two losses don't count,
since we lost by at least 200 points both times!

The Legion was truly scary. Do not let them into your house.

Rumor has it that Virginia is thinking of a December Masters tourney. Keep
it in mind. Go one, go all...

Well, my roommate wants to use the phone, so I will sign off, but if there
are any questions out there, just post...

Peter
power behind the junta, U of C College Bowl

Charles Lin

Jul 12, 1993, 11:38:47 PM7/12/93

In article <12JUL199...@ctrvx1.vanderbilt.edu>, bueh...@ctrvx1.vanderbilt.edu (ALBATROSS!!!!!!!!!) writes:
>Here are some of the results from last weekend's Master's tournament held
>in Knoxville, TN. (I have all the standings, but not with me -- I'll post
>them soon.)
>
> Legion of Super Heroes (a team composed of Jim Dendy (Ga. tech player/
>coach), Don Windham (former UT and Berry College stud ... Carol Guthrie's

Very interesting. I used to work at the National Labs in Oak Ridge
(summer job) a few years back. While there, I met Jim. He told me
he was on the Ga. Tech team (and was a senior). I guess he's still
there. Don't know if he remembers, but he and me and several other
people used to go for extended lunches at Mr. Gattis, a pizza place
in Oak Ridge (which is quite near Knoxville). Blast from the past,
as they say.

--
Charles Lin
cl...@eng.umd.edu

ALBATROSS!!!!!!!!!

Jul 13, 1993, 10:00:00 AM7/13/93
In article <1993Jul12....@midway.uchicago.edu>, pe...@midway.uchicago.edu writes...

>Standings? I shall post them for you...
>
>Place Team Identity Record
>4 Old Jackets Georgia Tech alums 11-4

This team was not all alums .. its Tech' last 4 captains (including 2 currents)

> 4 Headless Horsemen unsure 4-11

Maryland currents

> Old Boy's Network Vandy? 4-11

These were (rather rusty) vandy alums

>14 Velociraptor UT alums 3-12

UT currents

>15 Flying Circus Vandy current 2-13
>16 Manifest Destiny Vandy alums + 0-15

2 currents, an old HS coach, and a dad

For a team which strength should have been College Bowl
>type questions, we did rather well on the ACF academic stuff.

I played on Flying Circus ... we too were a CBI type team, but we truly got
our ass kicked. If we had won every game we were in sight of, we would have gone
5-10.

>The Legion was truly scary. Do not let them into your house.

WOW - They were the most incredible collection of Academic Bowl talent
I have ever seen assembled. Possibly the best team to ever pick up buzzers. The
only challenger to that title I can think of is "Demolition" -- the 2 time
defending Masters' champion which included at least 2 members of Legion of
Super Heroes (Dendy and Windham -- I believe they were joined by Carol Guthrie
and I have no clue who the 4th was...)

Randy

Douglas A. Singleton

Jul 13, 1993, 1:23:07 PM7/13/93
pe...@quads.uchicago.edu writes:
> Standings? I shall post them for you...
>
> Place Team Identity Record

[deleted]

> 5 Menace II Academia Illinois alums 10-5
> Ravenous Bugblatters Virginia current + 10-5
^^^^^^^^^
Well, sort of. 1 player currently a student who went to Regionals &
Nationals to be a game official, but did not use up eligibility; 1 alum
from 1985 and 1989 Regional teams who captained Wisconsin to the ACU-I
national championship while he was there; 1 alum from the 1989-91
Regional teams who won the Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions just after
graduating; and 1 coach who, prior to this tournament, had never played.

[deleted]

> Rumor has it that Virginia is thinking of a December Masters tourney. Keep
> it in mind. Go one, go all...

Just a rumor at this point. December is the _earliest_ we could have it.
Expect an announcement no sooner than August.

Tom Michael
(speaking only for himself)

David Robert Walker

Jul 13, 1993, 1:40:34 PM7/13/93
In article <1993Jul12....@midway.uchicago.edu> pe...@midway.uchicago.edu writes:

>Standings? I shall post them for you...
>
>Place Team Identity Record
>
>1 Legion of Super Heroes Jim Dendy (GT) 14-1 *
> Bob Meredith (former
> GT coach)
> Don Windham (former
> UT player)
> Charley S. (former
> UT player)
>
>2 BYE Mike Decker (CBI 14-1
> main question man)
> Victor Rosenberg
> (former Kent St.)
> Ken Hite
> (former Chicago)
> me (current Chicago)
>
>3 Gang of Four Maryland current 13-2
>4 Old Jackets Georgia Tech alums 11-4
>5 Menace II Academia Illinois alums 10-5
> Ravenous Bugblatters Virginia current + 10-5

Actually, this is Ravenous Bugblatter Beasts of Traal, and only one
person on the team was a current player. The current coach (Tom
Michael) and two former players (Jim Scott, Clay Davenport) made up
the rest.

>7 Carlovingians Carleton alum, coach, + 9-6

The Carleton coach (Eric Hillman), two of his students, and a former
teammate of Eric's at Wisconsin, Tom Drucker, made up this team. Eric
and Tom, plus Clay of the Bugblatter Beasts, formed 3/4 of Wisconsin's
championship team way back in '86. Tom Drucker now runs (I think) the
CB program at Dickinson College, Pa.

>The Legion was truly scary. Do not let them into your house.

Aww, I didn't think they were so tough... :-^)

Clay Davenport
Captain of the Bugblatter Beasts
"Only team to beat the Legion! We're #1!"

Seriously, we caught a break by getting a CB-like packet, rather than
an ACF-type packet, when we went against the Legion. We were much,
much stronger with CB packets throughout the tournament. Facing Legion
with only three of their players helped as well. I'm very glad it
wasn't us having to pay them again in that playoff.

And how come nobody told us to write any Norse mythology questions?
Sheesh, that was overdone.

Ted Schuerzinger

Jul 13, 1993, 7:19:28 PM7/13/93
In article <CA46F...@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>

dr...@delmarva.evsc.Virginia.EDU (David Robert Walker) writes:

> And how come nobody told us to write any Norse mythology questions?
> Sheesh, that was overdone.

Thank you! :-) This is one of the beefs I (and many others) have with
ACF questions -- certain categories are *way* overdone, while there is
almost nothing on certain other topics, esp. sports, anything current
(eg. after 1970), and geography.

Now, I still manage to slog my way through ACF packets and do
reasonably well; in fact, I was the leading scorer on the team that
managed to win the New England (?) Regional over Chip Hunter and MIT
back in '92. (No, you didn't see us at Nationals, partly because I was
studying in Russia when ACF Nationals came up, and the rest of the team
had no desire to make the long drive to wherever Nationals were being
held that year). I say we "managed" to win because we somehow beat
Brandeis in the semis 90-80, and MIT by 10 points as well. I'm sure
some people who vehemently support ACF packets may try to claim that I
don't "know enough", but 90-80 in a semifinal at Regionals? Get real!

Sorry for spouting off -- back to your regularly scheduled postings.

--Ted Schuerzinger
z...@Dartmouth.EDU
Den Glaubenden gehoert die Ewigkeit.