ACF Nationals

1 view

Ramesh Kannappan

Feb 28, 1994, 7:08:48 PM2/28/94

As we stated last week, the 1994 ACF National Championship Tournament
Kwill be held at the University of Maryland, College Park on Friday,
April 8 and Saturday, April 9.

There will be an initial limit of 19 teams so we can run a round-robin
tournament and because we are unsure of the number of moderators. However,
we will consider expanding if there is too much interest.

The first match could begin as early as 6:00pm on Friday, April 8.
The ending time of the tournament will depend on the format and the
number of playoff rounds. We will do our best to insure that the
pre-playoff portion finishes by 6:30pm on Saturday April 9, and that the
playoffs end by 7:30 pm. If you will be flying and plan to leave on
Saturday evening, please purchase your tickets to leave as late as
possible on Saturday evening.

Jim Dendy from Georgia Tech will be the National Tournament Director.
Jim has many years of quiz bowl experience, and he certainly will run a
good tournament. Ramesh Kannappan will be helping Jim edit a portion
of the questions. Maryland alumni John Nam and Gaius Stern might assist
Ramesh in editing his portion. Vishnu Jejjala will handle most of the
administrative tasks.

The questions requirements will be posted in the next message. Note that
the deadline is March 18, and automatic qualifiers are not guaranteed a spot
if Jim does not receive your questions by the deadline. Additional teams
will be admitted on a space available basis after March 18.

Please notify Vishnu and myself of your interest in attending as soon as
possible (by March 11 at the latest). If you are interested in entering,
please send us a message even if you are not an automatic qualifier or you
wish to enter a second team. This will help in planning. Please also
indicate whether you can bring a moderator and/or buzzer. Vishnu's
address is vjej...@wam.umd.edu and mine is ram...@nova.umd.edu. DO NOT
SEND QUESTIONS TO VISHNU.

If there is time on Saturday, we would like to hold an exhibition match
between the 1994 ACF national champion, top all-stars not on the
championship team, and tournament officials.

I have contacted the White House, and I will be requesting a congratulatory
letter from President Clinton to the national championship team. I will also
ask if it would be possible to have letters sent to more teams than just
the winning team.

In addition to the normal trophies given to top teams/all-stars, we will
be awarding 1994 ACF national tournament certificates to each member of
the top 10 teams and the top 20 all-stars.

I would like to request any volunteer(s) to videotape key matches (including
playoffs). If arrangements can be made to duplicate the tape, this
would allow teams from around the country to have a chance to at least see
portions of an ACF nationals. We would also consider any offers to
televise a portion as long as the format/question contact is not altered.

I will send at least a few letters requesting corporate sponsors to
award prize money to top teams. I am requesting anyone with corporate
contacts to send me a message and/or approach the corporation to
make an inquiry. Of course, I can not guarantee at this time we
will be able find sponsors. We would allow any sponsors to use the
fact that they are sponsoring the tournament in any reasonable manner.
The sponsor could make checks directly to the teams, and the donation
would be tax deductible, I believe.

We have considered requesting a senator to conduct the awards ceremony. One
of the Maryland team members works on Capitol Hill. However, we decided
against pursuing this since we can not guarantee a fixed ending time
for the tournament (mainly because we do not know how many teams are coming).
If you do know of a qualified person to present the awards, please let
me know. We've also considered freshman sensation Joe Smith (just kidding!).

Fee Schedule for 1994 ACF National Championship:
Base Entry Fee $85

Discount for providing one buzzer system $10
(one system limit per entering team)

Discount for providing moderator $10

Late fee for questions arriving after $20
March 18th. The date will be extended
to March 25 for those teams admitted after
March 18.

Fee for round not submitted in $15
electronic format (disk, email, or modem)

Checks should be made payable to the Maryland Academic Quiz Team.

Finally, I have heard from several teams that their programs are
"not advanced enough yet" to take part in ACF. It seems that many
teams are afraid that they do not have enough knowledge or that the
topics are too obscure.

I want to state again that the questions at the national tournament
will be written by participating schools. The editors will make sure
that academic topics are covered and that the rounds are well-balanced.

We would like to see easier clues included towards the end of questions
so that most teams will be able to answer at least 15 tossups. Above
average teams should be able to answer 17-19 tossups. Any questions
which are designed just to stump teams will be edited.

Ramesh Kannappan

Gerard Nicholas Magliocca

Mar 1, 1994, 12:19:32 AM3/1/94
Can someone please send me info on the when, where, and how concening ACF
Nationals?

Also, I was wondering whether mixed teams are allowed; ie, members
from two schools who have qualified combining in some fashion to play. I'm
not sure I can get a full compliment of Stanfordians to come out, but since
I'll be in DC starting in late March, I'm certainly game.

Gerard "Region 15 has still never received the Wildcard" Magliocca

Spinoza's God

Mar 1, 1994, 11:05:40 AM3/1/94
In article <2kuj94$3...@nntp2.Stanford.EDU>,

Gerard Nicholas Magliocca <g...@leland.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>Can someone please send me info on the when, where, and how concening ACF
>Nationals?

ACF Nationals will be held the weekend of 4/10 at the University of
Maryland.

> Also, I was wondering whether mixed teams are allowed; ie, members
>from two schools who have qualified combining in some fashion to play. I'm
>not sure I can get a full compliment of Stanfordians to come out, but since
>I'll be in DC starting in late March, I'm certainly game.

I don't know whether mixed teams are acceptable. Jim Dendy as Nationals
Tournament Director will have to make the call on this one. You can reach
him at gt1...@prism.gatech.edu

--Vishnu Jejjala
MD Academic Quiz Team