OT: Question for the Intellects

Sylv_in_NY

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Ok folks, this is the second time I have had to deal with
this question during the course of the 12 years I have home
educated my children. Who can help me out here?

Example: (This won't be easy since I can't draw lines
here.)
'______'______'______'
N O P R
NOP is true for this diagram. *NOT* ONP is also true.
Simple, right? I agree. Now here is where I am stumped.
Problem: "Prepare your own diagram for the use of each of
these two problems:"
1. Suppose for some diagram, XYZ and XWZ are true. Then
which of the following is true?
a. XWY
b. XYW
c. ZWX
d. ZWY
e. none of these

2. If XYZ and XWZ are true, wich of the following is also
true?.
a. not XZY
b. not ZYX
c. WXY
d. YZX
e. none of these
--> Here is where I am getting confused. To me, the correct
answers are all in how you draw the diagram. I see that the
diagram for both problems can be drawn two different ways,
can it not? XWYZ and/or XYWZ. If this is indeed true then
the answers vary. Someone help me out here. I am quite an
intelligent person and this is driving me crazy!!

Sylv

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful

LES!

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00

OMG! I feel like a complete piece of uneducated white trailor trash! lol..

It would all make more sense to me if it were typed in GREEK! lol...

Anyone else care to admit their mathematical downfalls now? lol.

LES!

Sylv_in_NY <sylvia...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

GMendias

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Question 1 is b, Question 2 is c.

"LES!" <Ba...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

LES!

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00

showoff! lol

LES!

GMendias <gmen...@swbell.net> wrote in message

Sylv_in_NY

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Gary wrote: "Question 1 is b, Question 2 is c."
How do you figure, Gary? Am I not correct in my assumption
and if not, why not? If the diagram for #1 were drawn as
XWYZ then a and c would be correct. If it were drawn as
XYWZ then b and d would be correct.
What am I not seeing here? How are you drawing the diagram
in order to get your answers??

GMendias

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Actually it is a for question number 1, I switched the answers in my
head sorry.

"Sylv_in_NY" <sylvia...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

GMendias

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
the answer for 2 is e NONE.

Did I say I have slight dyslexia?

Sylv_in_NY

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Gary!! Are you pulling my leg?? I have been sitting here
hitting the refresh button hoping to get your answers!

Bret Wiersbe

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Here's my take on it, based on the info given:

For question 1, I would have to say (c) since a line can be read from left to right or right to left and still be true (transverse postulate?).

For question 2, the answer is (a) since XZY is not possible based on the info given (hence, NOT XZY).

~ Bret ~

LES!

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00

Oh just wonderful! I am the only person on the NG that has no clue about
this! lol. Of course if had actually paid attention when I read it..... naw
I'd still be clueless, just more confused. lol.

LES!

Bret Wiersbe <bretw...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Diamondz

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Les, move on over, as I am clueless with you. I got a 37 on my Algebra final
way back when I was in school....*LOL*

LES!

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00

Thank God! now maybe other "un-learned folks" will come foreward! lol...
maybe we should start a new NG.. Call it "can't count but can still
collect"?? lol.

LES!

Diamondz <diamo...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Billie Jean

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Well I'm "dumbfounded"........... I can honestly admit that it's all just a
bunch of letters from the alphabet to me...... LOL

"LES!" <Ba...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

Diamondz

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Maybe they should put it in Beanie format for people like us Les....If Rover
went over to Rufus, Tuffy, and Wrinkles...how many PE Pellets would there be?
*LOL*

LES!

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00

LOL! OMG that has to be the most hilarious thing I;ve read! lol

LES!

Diamondz <diamo...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Lisa & the Girls

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
I'll join you and Donna.....

Lisa & the Girls

Bret Wiersbe

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
That would work only if they were angles or polygons, but the problem states
they are lines. Some of the answers COULD be true, depending on how the
line was drawn. But since we have to deal with only what is given, then I
would have to stand by my original answer of 1 (c) and 2 (a). Final
answer!

Well, Regis? What's the answer? Don't you have the answer key?

~ Bret ~

"Chris and Heidi Paré" wrote:

> Hi Sylv!
>
> The way I figure these problems to be are as follows:
>
> 1.
>
> X - W
> | |
> Y - Z
>
> The answer is c. ZWX.
>
> 2.
>
> X - Y
> | |
> W - Z
>
> The answers would be:
> a. not XZY
> c. WXY
>
> I'm not 100% sure, but that would be my guess.
>
> LMK if you find out what the correct answers are.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ChrisP4U

LES!

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00

I think we're gonna need a bigger couch for us'ns unlearned folk! lol

LES!

Lisa & the Girls <lbur...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Bret Wiersbe

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Don't sell yourself short! Heck, we might ALL be wrong!

"Better to be thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all
doubt!"

~ Bret ~

KIMMYANN12

Aug 14, 2000, 8:58:19 PM8/14/00
Looking at the questions....I'm just glad I am teaching first grade!

Kimmyann

Chris and Heidi Paré

Aug 14, 2000, 9:38:14 PM8/14/00

Diane N

Aug 14, 2000, 9:42:28 PM8/14/00
I believe the answer is c for both questions.

Diane

"GMendias" <gmen...@swbell.net> writes:
> Question 1 is b, Question 2 is c.
>

> "LES!" <Ba...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> > OMG! I feel like a complete piece of uneducated white trailor trash!
> lol..
> >
> > It would all make more sense to me if it were typed in GREEK! lol...
> >
> > Anyone else care to admit their mathematical downfalls now? lol.
> >
> > LES!

Diane N

Aug 14, 2000, 9:56:05 PM8/14/00
I know I just posted an answer of 'c' for both, in that the
question said to draw your own diagram and for some reason I
drew a box using the four letters. This is the first time I
can remember trying to answer a question like this as I failed
this in school miserably! I would have said the same as you
Les so have no idea why an answer came to mind.

If I was able to answer it, something from school stuck somewhere
and I just didn't know it.

Diane

SusanR

Aug 15, 2000, 12:38:01 AM8/15/00
my sister's a college math professor. i'll email it to her.

--
SusanR
sa...@msn.com
Bret Wiersbe wrote in message <3998A66D...@mindspring.com>...

>That would work only if they were angles or polygons, but the problem
states
>they are lines. Some of the answers COULD be true, depending on how the
>line was drawn. But since we have to deal with only what is given, then I
>would have to stand by my original answer of 1 (c) and 2 (a). Final
>answer!
>
>Well, Regis? What's the answer? Don't you have the answer key?
>
>~ Bret ~

Spidey~

Aug 15, 2000, 12:54:28 AM8/15/00
On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 19:11:22 -0500, "LES!" <Ba...@prodigy.net> wrote:

You're not alone Les, I have no idea what Sylvia is talking about <G>

Linda

Spidey~

Aug 15, 2000, 12:55:44 AM8/15/00
On Tue, 15 Aug 2000 01:56:05 GMT, Diane N <dpno...@nospamnetcom.ca>
wrote:

I'd have to say that if this is what we learned in school (I have no
recollection of this though), then all I can say is that school sucked
really bad.

Linda

Spidey~

Aug 15, 2000, 12:57:19 AM8/15/00
On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:31:22 -0500, "GMendias" <gmen...@swbell.net>
wrote:

Ooooohhhhhhhh

Care to explain to us why?

Linda

>Question 1 is b, Question 2 is c.
>
>"LES!" <Ba...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>>
>> OMG! I feel like a complete piece of uneducated white trailor trash!
>lol..
>>
>> It would all make more sense to me if it were typed in GREEK! lol...
>>
>> Anyone else care to admit their mathematical downfalls now? lol.
>>
>> LES!

Lee & Cathi Thomas

Aug 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/15/00

Sylvia - Don't know if it's too late to be of any help but I was a math
teacher before my kids were born. When you say W,X,Y,and Z are you referring
to vertices(corners) of a quadrilateral or are they points on a line?

Cathi

Sylv_in_NY

Aug 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/15/00
Cathi,
They are points on a line. But the stumper for me is that
you are instructed to create your own diagram for them.
Therefore, if you created it as XWYZ you would get one
answer; if you created it as XYWZ you would get another!
I know that it has something to do with looking at what
you DO know, instead of what you DON'T know, but for the
life of me I cannot remember what to do! I had this exact
same problem 2 years ago (It is a CAT question in Reading
Comp for 9th graders.)

Lee & Cathi Thomas

Aug 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/15/00

"Sylv_in_NY" <sylvia...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Sylv - The answers are 1.c and 2.a. Write the letters down in a row from
right to left. X Y W Z
X W Y Z
Look at it very carefully - c and a work no matter what order the letters
are in, the others do not work for both ways of ordering the letters. I find
this a very strange question for a reading test, more like logic to me. Let
me know if you still don't understand.

Cathi

Tinkerbell

Aug 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/15/00
Hey! That would exclude me! I don't collect AND I can't count <g>

--

June
Goddess, and Flippant She-Creature

> Thank God! now maybe other "un-learned folks" will come foreward! lol...
> maybe we should start a new NG.. Call it "can't count but can still
> collect"?? lol.
>
> LES!

Lee & Cathi Thomas

Aug 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/15/00

"Lee & Cathi Thomas" <lth...@apk.net> wrote in message

Sorry, that should be left to right.

Cathi

Deb in Northern California

Aug 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/15/00
Les,

I am with you, this is all jibberish. I am a smart person but when it some
to algebraic equations, I take a step aside. Give me an accounting equation
and I am fine.

Deb

Pat Reskey

Aug 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/15/00
That's not what the little birdies tell me. Tweet, tweet :)

Pat, fondly remembering the "island vacation"

Tinkerbell wrote:

> Hey! That would exclude me! I don't collect AND I can't count <g>
>
> --
>
> June
> Goddess, and Flippant She-Creature

JSWORK

Aug 15, 2000, 8:20:57 PM8/15/00
I would have to say C and E

吧ndi

> Sylv
>
> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful

--
Come Visit my Homepage!!!
http://members.home.net/workman/

Ainsley Tee-well (Ash)

Aug 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/16/00
Algebra, Quadratics and Linear Equations are all the line of maths that I
do... x = blah blah & plot is the only maths that I understand and can
explain!

Ainsley

Deb in Northern California wrote in message ...

>Les,
>
>I am with you, this is all jibberish. I am a smart person but when it some
>to algebraic equations, I take a step aside. Give me an accounting
equation
>and I am fine.
>
>Deb

Christina Whitney

Jan 31, 2022, 1:25:05 PM1/31/22
After a long time trying to solve this, I think that I may have the answer: C

Why? This is more of a Logic problem than Reading Comprehension.
We are assuming that we are only using 1 diagram, but in this case we know that because XYZ and XWZ are both true, we have an option of two diagrams:

Diagram 1: XYWZ
Diagram 2: XWYZ

we need to figure out which of the following solutions is true:
A. XWY
B. XYW
C. ZWX
D. ZWY
E. None of the Above

Let's compare the solutions for each diagram:

A. XWY - Diagram 1 (False)/ Diagram 2 (True)
B. XYW - Diagram 1 (True) / Diagram 2 (False)
C. ZWX - Diagram 1 (True) / Diagram 2 (True)
D. ZWY - Diagram 1 (True) / Diagram 2 (False)

Only 1 answer is true for BOTH diagrams which is answer C.
I am only assuming that this is correct and that they want us to choose which answer works best for both diagrams since there are two possible diagrams to work with and we do not know which one we should use.
Hope this helps.